rmirasol

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rmirasol

like many others, I bought this refurbed Chromebook a couple weeks back to replace an old Windows laptop that I had given my mom a few years ago. she had mentioned the laptop was getting really slow, and figured it was time to "upgrade" even though the Chromebook would be a fraction of the price.

she loves it! it boots up quickly, and for the email, browsing, and videos she watches, it's more than enough. my dad has also started using it, and has converted some of the stuff he does using the MS Office suite to Google's equivalents with very little effort.

just a couple things to note. the Chromebook doesn't have a right mouse button so there's gestures to learn for that (and scrolling) that involve 2 fingers on the trackpad. and the SIM card for the free mobile was in the instruction bag - the docs for the Chromebook mention it being preinstalled, which wasn't the case for the one I got.

at this lower price, I think this is an even better deal.

tanaise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanaise
gak0090 wrote:Here's an alternative:

Oh, you underestimate my skill at being clumsy. I could totally still drop those on concrete in an milisecond. I'd need something more like a hamster ball/zorb, but that makes typing so complicated unless I'm in the ball with it, and that's just impractical.

nws2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nws2002
bogof wrote:I want to get this for my daughter going off to college. She needs it mostly for document writing and power point presentations. She hasn't ever used Google docs and is afraid they won't interface in pretty much the same way as MS Office. Then there is the printing issue. Can't she just download onto a usb drive and get them printed off from that? Thanks for feedback!

I just finished my master's and the only issue I had using Google Docs for school stuff was headers/footers and APA style. Google Docs does not allow a seperate header for page 1. There were other formatting things that could be done in Google Docs, but were way easier in Word. Overall, I pretty much gave up on the Chromebook and gave it to my sister and used my normal laptop for school. I can't speak for the printing issue, my school went paperless 3 years ago and all work is turned into an online system before you even get to class.

collin1000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages collin1000
nws2002 wrote:I just finished my master's and the only issue I had using Google Docs for school stuff was headers/footers and APA style. Google Docs does not allow a seperate header for page 1. There were other formatting things that could be done in Google Docs, but were way easier in Word. Overall, I pretty much gave up on the Chromebook and gave it to my sister and used my normal laptop for school. I can't speak for the printing issue, my school went paperless 3 years ago and all work is turned into an online system before you even get to class.

I use Google Docs a lot as-is on my Windows computer, and I've run into the same issue. I have to reformat all of my papers in Word before submitting them to the professor. It doesn't bother me too much, but I would love to see better formatting support in Google Docs.

wesbc

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wesbc
ThunderThighs wrote:You'll look stunning in the turquoise. Trust me.

Wait... how did you know I ordered the turquoise since the white is sold out? Do you by chance moonlight for the NSA??

How will I sleep soundly at night now.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tanaise wrote:Oh, you underestimate my skill at being clumsy. I could totally still drop those on concrete in an milisecond. I'd need something more like a hamster ball/zorb, but that makes typing so complicated unless I'm in the ball with it, and that's just impractical.

I got my son a shirt that says something about tripping over flat surfaces. It's so true for him.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tjb50

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjb50

My neighbor just got the 32g version of this chrome book and paid 349.. He has been on me to get one of these, he said at 200 bucks it'd be crazy not to grab one. Though it's only 16g, there is a SD slot and I have a 32g SD card laying around so no biggie. I hope the 200g of Google storage for 2 years is unused with it. I know it's hit or miss picking up a factory refurb. Looking very forward to getting it!

gastgeber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gastgeber
roykron wrote:The 4G was really important to me. I'm going ahead and purchasing another today with the 4G. (I see the white model is already gone, oh well). If I can RMA the one I purchased last week that said it came with 4G - but didn't - I'd appreciate it.

Someone didn't do their research (Woot). There is no HP Chromebook 14 with 2GB of RAM and 4G service. It doesn't exist. Same with a 32GB SSD and 4G service. HP doesn't make such a thing. ((This applies to the previous Woot. This Woot looks correct))
Also, these Chromebook rock! Bought one brand new full retail and I have no regrets at all.

lanatf12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lanatf12

Wow, have you people never heard of the ACER C720? Its only the best chromebook brand new for $200, with touchscreen for an extra $50. Wake up ppl!

gastgeber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gastgeber
lanatf12 wrote:Wow, have you people never heard of the ACER C720? Its only the best chromebook brand new for $200, with touchscreen for an extra $50. Wake up ppl!

It's ACER vs. HP. I tired the ACER and it's build quality was bad. Even for a Chromebook. Their track pad and keyboard were horrible. This HP for $199 is a waaaay better deal than that new ACER at the same price.

Mumbler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mumbler
wellrested wrote:iClear has some cases on Amazon for $15-$20, any color you could want.

In case anybody was wondering, here are the cases this quote is referring to:

Clear:
http://amzn.com/B00HD100SQ

Cyan:
http://amzn.com/B00HD32FWI

Purple:
http://amzn.com/B00HD257JC

Pink:
http://amzn.com/B00HD18NGW

Black:
http://amzn.com/B00HD1KEXM

Blue:
http://amzn.com/B00HD2FFBW

Green:
http://amzn.com/B00HD2MO4S

Red:
http://amzn.com/B00HD2USA0

Orange:
http://amzn.com/B00HD3CXR0

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

wesbc wrote:Wait... how did you know I ordered the turquoise since the white is sold out? Do you by chance moonlight for the NSA??

How will I sleep soundly at night now.

You can sleep soundly knowing that I'm watching over you.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Mumbler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mumbler
dliidlii wrote:Why is there no model number shown anywhere in the specs or description?

It seems the "14-Q070NR" model of this Chromebook is the "free 4g" one on other sites.
I'm guessing that's the one that's being sold here on Woot.

jbronson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbronson

On HP's site, they're saying that all their devices with 2-year free tmobile are being upgraded to the same lifetime plan included with this chromebook. You're probably good to go! I'd check HP's website to see if you need to do anything.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/free-mobility/overview.html

chriscmsed wrote:I purchased this same item for $20 more and with only 2 years of free 4g (not lifetime). Will WOOT respectfully upgrade my 4g to todays lifetime deal?

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090
gastgeber wrote:It's ACER vs. HP. I tired the ACER and it's build quality was bad. Even for a Chromebook. Their track pad and keyboard were horrible. This HP for $199 is a waaaay better deal than that new ACER at the same price.

I don't agree on this whole Acer thing- they aren't the same company they were years ago. I have purchased 3 android tablets and 2 I5 touch laptops in the past 3 years. Their products are well developed, priced very competitively, and have far more innovative designs than HP. As far as their support- I can't remark, because I have never had a need for their support. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, but Acer for the same money gives you more than HP.

ripprsoul

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ripprsoul
lanatf12 wrote:Wow, have you people never heard of the ACER C720? Its only the best chromebook brand new for $200, with touchscreen for an extra $50. Wake up ppl!

The C720 is indeed a great Chromebook, but this HP has superior specs. They both have the latest Haswell processors (which made the biggest performance difference between the previous generation of Chromebooks and the current gen), but this HP has a higher resolution screen, twice the RAM, and the 200mb of 4G for life.

philmills

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philmills

Yes, the C720 gets exceptional reviews. However: For $200 you're getting a smaller screen and half the RAM. The 4GB C720 is still $399 at Amazon.

More RAM is always better and many people find a larger screen/keyboard easier to use.

kryptalivian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kryptalivian

Anyone know if this will work with T-Mobiles music unleashed where streaming music from for example Google Music does not count towards your data limit?

nicholascjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicholascjohn
kryptalivian wrote:Anyone know if this will work with T-Mobiles music unleashed where streaming music from for example Google Music does not count towards your data limit?

I think you have to have an actual plan with T-Mobile to take advantage of the free streaming.

ripprsoul

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ripprsoul
nicholascjohn wrote:I think you have to have an actual plan with T-Mobile to take advantage of the free streaming.

Correct. This data plan does not qualify for T-Mobile's free music streaming.

skdrowe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skdrowe
chriscmsed wrote:I purchased this same item for $20 more and with only 2 years of free 4g (not lifetime). Will WOOT respectfully upgrade my 4g to todays lifetime deal?

T-mobile has already upgraded everybody to free for life, The unit you purchased had a larger SSD 32 gb vs 16. I believe. More information is available in earlier posts.

roykron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roykron
roykron wrote:The 4G was really important to me. I'm going ahead and purchasing another today with the 4G. (I see the white model is already gone, oh well). If I can RMA the one I purchased last week that said it came with 4G - but didn't - I'd appreciate it.

[MOD: That won't be a problem. ]

Well, the response I received from Clark wasn't satisfactory. "The item description should've stated all the components and capability of the Chromebook before you purchased the item."

The screen shot of the "item description" says the Chromebook comes with HSPA+ cellular. But the "item" received does not have HSPA+ cellular.

I really would like to return Order 49186829 for refund since what I received is "not as represented."

I've already ordered another Chromebook from today's Woot and hope it comes configured properly with HSPA+.

scottsmith77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottsmith77

For all the people who complain about Chromebooks, saying they have little storage, where is the outrage about the 32GB version for sale a couple weeks ago? C'mon! Outrage!!

I got the one a couple weeks ago, I have yet to try the 4G, but I assume it will be for the only two years I was sold. Luckily, the Google Drive space was available to me.

I am an engineer. I love this thing. It's fast enough, quiet, etc. If it does 90% of what I need to do, giving up most of the typical computer headaches, I give up on that 10% of the things I can't do!

This thread has been oh-so-civil. Chromebook haters typically say, "you can't use it offline" (which is wrong): I say: when is the last time that you sat and used your Windows laptop offline? I'll tell you when: a long flippin' time ago. Our cultural computer usage behavior has changed; we don't typically use them offline any more.

I maintain that Chromebook haters prefer the Windows laptop mostly because "that's the way I've always done it.." even though they don't realize it.

scottsmith77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottsmith77
gastgeber wrote:Someone didn't do their research (Woot). There is no HP Chromebook 14 with 2GB of RAM and 4G service. It doesn't exist. Same with a 32GB SSD and 4G service. HP doesn't make such a thing. ((This applies to the previous Woot. This Woot looks correct))

I bought the 32GB/4GB, and it came with a T-Mobile SIM and 4G service. I believe might be a special edition made for Costco, sold as a refurb here - that's just a guess.

Glad you like yours! I replaced a Cr-48 with the HP 14 and it rocks. Went a long way for my future technology budget when I told my wife I replaced a three-and-a-half year old computer that I got for free with one that was $220.

timasdf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timasdf

Can I take the Micro SD card out of a GoPro Hero3+ Black, stick it in the SD slot (using a regular-size SD adapter) and view the video?

Online sources seem either non-committal or say it won't work...but these were mostly older forum posts, so things may have changed.

Anyone know for sure?

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 37 Private Messages dernst_ca1
ripprsoul wrote:Theoretically, if Sprint acquired TMobile then they would also acquire their spectrum and contractual obligations.

Sprint (softbank) owns more Spectrum than all the other carriers combined.

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

archerman2000

quality posts: 8 Private Messages archerman2000

Thank you to whoever dropped their white order and allowed me to grab one after they had been showing as sold out for awhile now... woohoo!

On a side note I just got back from BestBuy and purchased the new version of the same... cost $299 and no free 4g, but does have free 100gb for 2 years... maybe I'll get luck and the refurb also includes the 100gb free and I'll be all set to return the BB one.

cfrahm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cfrahm

I bought a similar model with the 4 gigs, but mine has 32 gig drive. I paid $249 for a refurb at Microcenter. Knowing what I now know after two weeks I would have bought this one instead. 16 gigs is way enough at this point and with the shdc 64 gig card, I have not even put a single file on it yet. I am a computer geek. I buy things like this to check them out.

If you roam during your work, get a tablet.

At work I use it over my laptop for google searches because it is so fast. My wireless is faster than my laptop on a 1 gig network for the Internet vs much slower wifi. My job now has me behind a desk all day so this is a side computer. I use it for google searches and checking my gmail. This is all about google. You have to adjust the screen size for some apps like facebook games to be smaller. My trendnet usb to rj45 cable works fine. The app store is meek at this point. Things you take granted from a regular computer is not available like paint, but there are online versions that are full of ads.

No malware, if you do not open it up for changes like putting on Linux, when you reboot all the malware seems to be erased like ransom ware.

Also the keyboard is missing many functions that most people are use to like taking a screen shot. There are guides of how you can do this with this machine. It is just not on the keyboard, but if you print out the guide you can do most of the functions available.

Before this computer I was using an IPAD3 and some Android tablets. The IPAD3 dropped connections to the wireless about 7 times a day. The Androids about 3 times. In two weeks, I have never lost a connection.

The speakers are ok, but good quality with my headphones for Pandora. And yes there is a pandora app.

Except for a few games and programs that work offline, everything is about running things in the chrome browser.

The Internet belongs to cats and the cat licking screen 2 versions, one good, the other ok, is why cats own the Internet.

We had a network outage the other day and I switched to T-Mobile and there I was, working. T-Mobile coverage has always been bad. But in an emergency it is nice to have for general Internet, not online movies.

killakat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killakat

Has anyone considered or observed the battery lifespan of these Chromebooks? This model has a non-removable battery, and the 'book is refurbished. I would hate having to discard the whole device because the battery only lasted for 91 days...

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71
killakat wrote:Has anyone considered or observed the battery lifespan of these Chromebooks? This model has a non-removable battery, and the 'book is refurbished. I would hate having to discard the whole device because the battery only lasted for 91 days...

Good point! You made me pause...and if the unit won't power via A/C with a dead battery...then the free Lifetime 200MB 4G is only for the life of the battery. Possibly a future doorstop unless you're able to crack the case and maybe do some soldering to bring it all back to life if UR handy and replacement batteries can be found?

retropug

quality posts: 2 Private Messages retropug

To someone that has one of these units already, I have a few questions: If I have .mp4 and .avi movies on my home PC and would like to view these movies on this chromebook would dragging them off my PC and onto a micro SD or USB 3.0 thumbdrive and plugging into the chromebook allow me to watch these movies offline using say a similar app like I have on my phone? If not can the files be viewed via the browser somehow? And I would like to not have to convert them..basically drag and drop. If I can play the videos is it possible to output them via HDMI to my TV? Also if you have the google play store on the chromebook can you download different android apps and use them as long as they do not require touch? Do people "sideload" apps as-well on these units? And lastly I was trying to see if there are any supported game emulators that do not require you to be online to run on these units. THANKS if anyone happens to know!

JohnCulbertson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JohnCulbertson
EricPost wrote:I would not recommend Chromebook for a student. Yes you can get by with it. But a college student is going to need at least a dual core and some space. And the difference in price is worth it.

I've used Chromebook and it's awesome for what it is, a way to browse the net, stream video and to SIMPLE docs and presentations.

For more info for MS Power Point and Chrome see:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3220502?hl=en

Second this completely.

If you are a student you need full blown Office, no open office, go google office programs. Otherwise you will have formatting issues guaranteed.

Not to mention if you need to run specialty programs for Math, science, or engineering majors.

dham2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dham2
joecooool wrote:This is a good computer for surfing the web. It isn't a laptop replacement. It has a ver small hard drive and does not run many business programs. Forget doing a power point presentation with this.

It has a 16 gb memory. My iPhone has four times that.

If all you want is a unit that can surf the net, this is ok. ANY business use is out of the question.

Not a laptop replacement? I run my entire real estate business with mine. 16g ssd is kind of small, but just slip in a 32g card. And, with this computer, it goes ALL THE WAY INSIDE, not like my Acer C720, where it goes in a little and gets knocked off easily.

dham2

Ok, question... I bought one of these last week and love it. I'm thinking of buying another. I would have another 200 meg card. Can I use the second data sims card in the first computer when the first one runs out?

jertyler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jertyler

I bought a Chromebook last week and just had time to check it out today. The chassis appears to be bent and the bottom of the machine does not sit flat on a level surface.

This is the second time I've had a defect in one of the HP refurbs and I don't want to miss this price by requesting an RMA and just getting a refund. I suppose my only option is to order another one and get the refund after the defective unit is received by Woot. Frustrating drawback of a sellout sale.

I really like these machines and think that they are a great value at this price. Hoping the next one is in better shape.

csdegarmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csdegarmo
collin1000 wrote:Woot is not offering the data - T-Mobile and HP are. HP includes the data deal with new Chromebooks as well. I would suggest contacting HP and T-Mobile.

I took my AT&T iPad in to tmobile and they gave me a new sim for $10 that has the lifetime 200mb / month. So, take your chromebook in and ask for a new sim with the lifetime offer. They may try to upswell you, but if you keep saying "no thanks" you'll get your sim and enjoy the free data.

csdegarmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csdegarmo

Does anyone know if this is locked to t-mobile or can I use a sim from another carrier (when traveling in Africa for example)?

jefft213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jefft213
conanthelibrarian wrote:Check out this "good" review over at cnet and a couple of solid reviews over at microcenter.com

That cnet review is for the wrong version of this laptop.

ingrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ingrown

It's just under 90 minutes to the end of the sale; I'm surprised that this hasn't sold out yet. I guess that they just have a ton of them in stock.

dham2

dham2 wrote:Ok, question... I bought one of these last week and love it. I'm thinking of buying another. I would have another 200 meg card. Can I use the second data sims card in the first computer when the first one runs out?

Asked, then answered! I just chatted with HP. She assured me that when the chromebook 1 data runs out, I could just trade sims cards and use the data from CB two. This gives me 400 MB a month.