ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jpkml wrote:Is there a way to get this shipped faster ?. I want it by next Wed, as i am off to a vacation starting Thu.

Doesn't look like you purchased on this account so I can't see if yours has reached us.

Once it reaches us, it has to be process and then the replacement shipped out.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sirklw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sirklw

TT: I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and found I'm unable to get my Chromebook to connect to the T-mobile network. Supposedly it's supposed to do it automatically when you boot it up the first time. I went to a T-moblie store and spoke with their tech support on the phone but I had no luck. Tech support seemed think it was supposed to come with a sim-card but all I received was the device and a power cord. Who should I contact about this? It connects to my wi-fi at home just fine and seems like a very nice machine.

jpkml

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpkml
ThunderThighs wrote:Doesn't look like you purchased on this account so I can't see if yours has reached us.

Once it reaches us, it has to be process and then the replacement shipped out.

Not looking for a replacement. I want to buy this for the first time. However during the buying process, there was no way to upgrade the shipping option. Please let me know if this is possible ? I will but it right away

rboerger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rboerger
hpfa wrote:Anyone know if that includes T-Mobile networks in Europe? I'd think so as they now include data in 140+ countries in their plans, but have to ask. Internet fees in Europe are still high, so this could pay for itself on one trip - and no longer a need to drink 50 lattes at Starbucks to use their free wifi.

No, I asked this very same question on the T-mobile support forum and was told US only.

ThunderThighs

Staff

jpkml wrote:Not looking for a replacement. I want to buy this for the first time. However during the buying process, there was no way to upgrade the shipping option. Please let me know if this is possible ? I will but it right away

Oh, sorry. We can't expedite the shipping on these as they are shipping directly from the vendor. It will take 3-5 days for them to be shipped out and then allow transit time.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

Staff

sirklw wrote:TT: I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and found I'm unable to get my Chromebook to connect to the T-mobile network. Supposedly it's supposed to do it automatically when you boot it up the first time. I went to a T-moblie store and spoke with their tech support on the phone but I had no luck. Tech support seemed think it was supposed to come with a sim-card but all I received was the device and a power cord. Who should I contact about this? It connects to my wi-fi at home just fine and seems like a very nice machine.

You should be able to get a SIM card from Tmobile. It may mean finding the right person that knows what's going on.

FORUM MODERATOR

blueshifter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blueshifter

I bought this the last time it was offered and in fact I'm posting from it now. I have to be honest, I feel that most of the negative posts on here are nothing more then male snobery bs.

I've been in IT for 20 years. I run a tech company and I deal with tech pretty much 24/7. Which is to say that I understand what this machine is and what you can and can not do with it.

Think about what you need a portable for. If you MUST run specialized programs or you MUST be able to run off-line a great deal of the time then sure this is not for you. But think about this, how often are you now running your computer and not connected to wifi??? At my office I'm connected, at home I'm connected and everywhere else? I have a 6.5" cell phone that is pretty much a tablet.

And with this, if I have a moment where I need non wifi access? Yeah I now have 200mb of free wifi for life. Which is plenty for getting access to the info I or most people would need. And should I need more I can buy more piecemeal with no contract!

I dropped dropbox and switched to google drive. Yeah, drop box is better but not by much. I already have a ton of pics in Picasa, now being phased into Google+ and google docs works as it should. If you can adapt to the Google Way, that is when you really begin to see the wonder that is this machine.

For those of you complaining that this is not real 4g or that it's only 200mb a month... Ye Gods! ! Think about what you just said.

This is a 14" incredible well built laptop with great battery life and it is plenty of fast for 95% of all the things that 99% of people will do.

gcherry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcherry
byrdvt wrote:Hmm, thinking about getting one of these for my 4th grader. I imagine they can use WiFi and not use up the 200MB data, correct? Also, I suppose there is no way to use MS Office on this thing? This can download play games/apps; sounds like a good deal for a kiddo, no?

I think Chromebooks are great for kids or people who just surf the internet. They won't do Office but you can probably use the Web version of Office for that. You can use Google Docs instead. The only games you can do are web-based ones like Zynga or those in the Chrome Store. Games you are used to seeing in Android app store do not work here. I love my Chromebook and use it for 95% of what I do online.

brierlea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brierlea

I bought this chromebook a few weeks ago when Woot was selling it. Like the machine, HATE T-Mobile. Be warned: They will throttle your 200 MB. Not only that, but I have since bought and used a 1-GB pass and a 3 GB pass and I am still throttled even though the passes are for HIGH SPEED. You do not want to have to use T-Mobile.

darktide00

quality posts: 5 Private Messages darktide00

hi

I told you not to bother me while I'm cleaning my Room!

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark

Only the coral and turquoise are left so I picked the coral. Anyone have any experience with the square trade warranties? What sort of thing do they cover and do they stand behind the warranties?

danielsjang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danielsjang

PDF of setup and activation guide for this chromebook:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/pdf/chromebook-sbs-v2_tcm_245_1596349.pdf

PDF of top up guide:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/pdf/t-mobile-sbs-v1_tcm_245_1516827.pdf

like2wheel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages like2wheel
thomasz wrote:Is the power plug standard (with the charge voltage) so standard universal chargers work? Or is this something hard to find?

Can anybody comment on this?

I'm thinking of getting one to leave in the car for when I need something more than I can do on my phone, but don't want to deal with an inverter.

morninglark

FYI, I found the HP set-up guide for the lifetime data plan. There's a section on what to do If you turn on the chromebook and get the a Network not Available error message starting with step 10.

There's a section at the back that tells you how to activate the 4g if you didn't do it during the initial setup.

Edited to add: danielsjang already posted above, Sorry.

tnsnell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tnsnell
thomasz wrote:Is the power plug standard (with the charge voltage) so standard universal chargers work? Or is this something hard to find?

it's a fairly common power adapter type. pretty much all of HP and Dell laptops use it right now. It's 18.5V if I remember correctly

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71
morninglark wrote:FYI, I found the HP set-up guide for the lifetime data plan. There's a section on what to do If you turn on the chromebook and get the a Network not Available error message starting with step 10.

There's a section at the back that tells you how to activate the 4g if you didn't do it during the initial setup.

danielsjang already posted it 10 minutes earlier and two posts above yours.

tnsnell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tnsnell
chrisfrost wrote:I believe the answer to this is, "yes." I put a 120 gig ssd in a similar machine after backing-up the chrome os for transfer. It upgraded, but not easily, maybe a 15 minute job if you are comfortable breaking devices like this into components. There's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV1LMDsga60

If you think you need more memory then you're totally missing the point of it being a Chromebook. this is not like a laptop you do not store a lot of information and applications on this machine everything is stored in the cloud, on Google. you can sync some pictures and documents and things like that to stay on the local SSD, but the system is generally designed to be used when you're connected to the Internet so there's not a lot of point in having things on the SSD. local storage on the SSD is just for situations like you need to work on a document and you can't be connected to the Internet during that time

morninglark

iguana71 wrote:danielsjang already posted it 10 minutes earlier and two posts above yours.

Oops that's embarrassing. I guess I spent too much time searching.

Jordbaer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Jordbaer
ThunderThighs wrote:You should be able to get a SIM card from Tmobile. It may mean finding the right person that knows what's going on.

I agree. Tmo's "Free Data for Life" offer applies to a whole bunch of tablets in addition to this Chromebook. Try referencing that promotion by name if you need to talk to customer service. Heck, they have several pages on their website about it.
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9851
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700
http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/free-mobile-internet-data.html

MattG84

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MattG84

I bought mine about a month ago from woot and I love it. Absolutely no regrets! These sell out very quickly! So if you are having doubts... just spend the $200. You already know the laptop itself goes for $300+ without the "Hotspot" and if you were to purchase it with the "Hotspot", it can run you upwards of $500. SO -- AMAZING DEAL.

The laptop itself is light and you can easily carry it with you anywhere. Connect to the Internet and give yourself a little time to look something up.

Obviously T-Mobile is trying to attract new customers and doing a good job. Depending on where you live, 4G LTE is the best, but most other Internet speeds are good too if you are just looking up certain things. If you are buying this computer with Internet connection in mind through T-Mobile, I advise you check T-Mobile's website to see if you are covered. They did away with contracts which was a smart move. If you hate it, than you just paid for the month. If you need more memory, than you just pay "as you go". 200 MB is obviously not enough to do anything on a laptop. It tends to go quickly -- T-Mobile always rounds up to the nearest MB so it goes quick. I'm not sure if they do it purposely, but I used it up in about 2 or 3 days and I did not want to wait a month for another 200 MB. I ended up switching the SIM card and putting it on a friend's plan, who was already a T-Mobile customer. While T-Mobile has this great deal, they provide me with an even better plan at $30 a month for 5gb because of a $10 discount each month. So if you got a friend, ask them to add you to their plan. Make sure you confirm and get everything in writing before you agree to anything. But again - if you are not happy with it - cancel it after the month is up.

I didn't want to get Comcast or another Cable Internet company in my apartment. I am an Internet-addict and wanted to get that under control, since I work on the Internet all day long. So I needed some free time and self-control too. At least with the T-Mobile card, it allows me to limit my time on the Internet when I am in the apartment. So I am glad it came with the T-Mobile service.

I run a website on WordPress and had no issue with getting photos or writing articles and updating it. The only thing the Chromebook lacks as far as photos goes is the ability to resize photos, but the WordPress editor itself can resize photos. The Chromebook itself is extremely fast, as I've had over 20 tabs open at once.

I recommend it for everyone, beginners and advanced. If all you do is mostly use the Internet, this is for you. If you are advanced, you will want to install Ubuntu (Crouton) on to it so you can have some Linux features -- Filezilla (FTP), Chrome (web browser), GIMP Photo Editor (Photoshop), Steam Games, LibreOffice (Office applications), Skype (Chat), and just about any other app you could ever need. All for FREE.

Netflix and Hulu work on the Chromebook and you can probably get away with watching 2 full length movies because the battery life is amazing -- with no active Internet, the computer will run about 8 hours. With Internet turned on, you can get anywhere from 5 to 7 hours. The downside of this is probably the fact that you cannot get a DVD and watch it. Though -- and it has not been tested, but you could probably install Linux with the DVD codecs and all that and get a USB DVD drive and plug it in and watch your movie - I haven't tested this, but it may work.

You can turn the Chromebook into a powerful computer that can suit your every need. Many articles say the Chromebook falls short because "it's just a browser" - those users have not explored the full potential of the Chromebook. You can expand it all either through Chrome Extensions or installing Linux. I love using the Chrome OS side for simple fast browsing and ease, but if I need something more advanced, I switch over to Crouton and use the Linux apps I installed through the Terminal. Cost? FREE.

Best of all: updates are fast, no viruses, no malware, and always remains fast.

If you are a Chrome user, there is no learning curve. If you aren't, there is not much of a learning curve. If you have ever used a Windows computer, you will be fine using it.

Trust me, I never thought I would give up my Macbook for anything. And I still use it, but I find myself using it less and less and favoring the faster Chromebook more. I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THIS COMPUTER FOR ANYONE! WELL WORTH THE PRICE!

micah96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micah96
mamajoan wrote:Thanks everyone for the super helpful discussion. I'm seriously considering this machine for my 11yo son. Right now pretty much the only thing he'll want to do with it is play Minecraft -- if I read the comments correctly, this will be possible if I install Linux, yes? I've not done that before but am pretty confident I could figure it out. My question would be about data usage though. How quickly would he burn through the 200MB/month by playing Minecraft? Just curious because I'm sure he would be on wifi most of the time but I'd want to be prepared in case anything goes wrong with that.

Thanks!!

So far as I can tell it takes about .03 megabytes a second to run multiplayer and 15 megabytes to load a world. Granted this is just an estimate and if the player is doing lots of stuff it will get more taxing.

meghano1989

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meghano1989

Does anyone have experience with the Chromebook version of Open office? That's what I use on the desktop for docs and spreadsheets, nothing too complicated. If the Chromebook version is comparable, I'm in. I'm mostly need a laptop for on the go spreadsheeting.

Also, am I right in assuming that I wouldn't really be missing out on the 32g now that they're sold out because I could just use an SD card or external hard drive if I wanted more hard drive space?

xxhaimbondxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxhaimbondxx
cybercpa wrote:Thanks! "No roaming" explicitly stated. Great for urban areas - lousy for travel. Won't work in my house either!

We have T-Mobile for our cellular phones and ever since they went away with overage fees, the call/data roaming has been included for free throughout US. I don't see why you would have it on just the data plan. There are plenty of areas for me to test this out, since T-Mobile does not have the best coverage. Most of the time it automatically switches to AT&T. However, yesterday I had to manually switch it.

droolinghamster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages droolinghamster

i got one of the 16GB ones the last time they had these, and a couple of things...

i had no problems attaching the free data thing to my existing T-Mobile account; in fact, it did so even though i didn't want to, as it offered me a few data plans that would add however much data to the free 200 of 4G, but in the end, even though i had selected a data plan, it only lit up the free, and i got a SMS on my phone to tell me that i had "changed the data plan on a line on my account" and a SMS on the chromebook (yes, it does have a phone number and can get SMS messages although not in any way that would strike you as functional for two-way SMS communication) to say the free data was activated.

it really doesn't take a whole lot to burn through the 200 over the course of a month, but that's really only because i didn't attach it to my guest wi-fi at work, otherwise it would have only been using the mobile data when i was somewhere that wasn't one of my "known" wi-fi locations. of course, once you run out of the free 4G, you still get free unlimited 3G so it's not like you get cut off.

the SIM itself is nothing special; it's the regular full-size (not micro) SIMs that T-Mo uses for everything else. i would imagine if one didn't come with your chromebook and you happen to have spares - as i do, since everytime i upgraded my previous T-Mo phones they came with another SIM that I didn't use - that you could just stick it in there instead. when you activate the data, it figures out that you get it based on the device characteristics, not anything special about the particular SIM in the box.

sirklw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sirklw
morninglark wrote:Oops that's embarrassing. I guess I spent too much time searching.

Yours was the first post I saw so it was still very helpful. Thanks.

mrjoewood

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrjoewood

I'm now posting via the 4G connection on the one I got a few weeks ago. Surfing woot.com, reading comments, posting replies. I have to say, it's pretty fast. LTE fast? I dunno. I don't see any difference between this and tethering with my LTE phone.

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz

Will this work with my Mac?

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

aserda99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aserda99

Sorry if you someone already answered this question.

Can I use the free data even if I don't have an existing voice plan with T-Mobile?

emanb29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emanb29

I got one of these last sale, and I'm writing from it now. My main laptop (a high-end alienware) is in the shop for repairs, and this is perfect. I can use it on the bus, on the train, in the car, at home, and all day long with its ridiculous 7 hour battery life. The 200m goes fast though and tmobile support knows nothing about the program, so it's worth buying the 1GB+/mo for $10.

emanb29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emanb29
aserda99 wrote:Sorry if you someone already answered this question.

Can I use the free data even if I don't have an existing voice plan with T-Mobile?

Yes you can. In fact, a voice plan can't be tied to this device on the same account without a lot of hassle.

MisterGadget2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MisterGadget2

Greetings! Can anyone provide the exact HP model number on the white 32GB 4G equipped unit offered here please? Many thanks!

molly101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages molly101
morninglark wrote:I used to own a chrome book and regret replacing it with a net book.
However, if you want to run any offline external programs don't get a chromebook. You can use a chromebook offline but it's limited to a handful of apps. But yes, you can connect via wifi and you can use any online programs.

They do start up quickly with few problems and is the reason I regret the net book. I've ended up using my older laptop for offline work anyway so this looks tempting.

If your kid is connected most of the time and doesn't use many offline programs, then this may work. Make sure you go over his google privacy settings with him/her. Once you sign into Google these days, you sign into everything-- email, Google+, Google drive! Etc.

Chromebooks are perfect for work, but are generally just as expensive as a regular laptop on sale. It might be better to get a laptop because there isn't much you can access on a Chromebook without wifi. And if your student is going to use it for projects, they will have to manually change each document type to be compatible with Word.

zjjqc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zjjqc

Why my chromebook hasn't been shipped yet?

ThunderThighs

Staff

zjjqc wrote:Why my chromebook hasn't been shipped yet?

Whoa now. Slow down there, pardner. As the sale stated, it will ship out in 3-5 business days. Today is the first business day.

I know you're eager and that weekend seemed long, but you'll be computing your little heart out on that Chromebook soonish.

FORUM MODERATOR

eh1982

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eh1982
ThunderThighs wrote:Whoa now. Slow down there, pardner. As the sale stated, it will ship out in 3-5 business days. Today is the first business day.

I know you're eager and that weekend seemed long, but you'll be computing your little heart out on that Chromebook soonish.

so what you're saying is that there will totally be tracking information that works when the package ships and not just update us again the day after it already arrived ? cause that's annoying.

ThunderThighs

Staff

eh1982 wrote:so what you're saying is that there will totally be tracking information that works when the package ships and not just update us again the day after it already arrived ? cause that's annoying.

FORUM MODERATOR

Willbrown1972

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Willbrown1972

Anyone seeing theirs as "shipped" yet?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Willbrown1972 wrote:Anyone seeing theirs as "shipped" yet?

Hi there. I answered that question a couple posts up.

FORUM MODERATOR

ilikedis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilikedis

Not me. I sent a message to support to make sure the order processed. Hoping to see some info change on the tracking.

ThunderThighs

Staff

GUYS! IT'S EARLY YET FOR THESE TO SHIP!

I know y'all are used to fast shipping on some other sites but we're not those sites.

It will take 3-5 business days for these to ship out. This is 2nd business day.

Emailing CS will not help speed things up. Just hang tight, please.

FORUM MODERATOR