ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

majorwest wrote:Hmm, I'm kinda interested in what the long answer looks like...

LONG ANSWER: YES. With standard shipping, your order should arrive in aprox. a week or so. Your order should arrive far quicker than the beginning of this year's Winter Solstice (Dec 21, 6:12am EST)

Winter inspires both joy and woe. Some people can't wait for the cooler weather, snow, skiing and ice skating, curling up by a fire, and the holiday spirit. Other people dislike the frigid temperatures, blizzards, and wild weather.

The word solstice comes from the Latin words for "sun" and "to stand still.” In the Northern Hemisphere, as summer advances to winter, the points on the horizon where the Sun rises and sets advance southward each day; the high point in the Sun’s daily path across the sky, which occurs at local noon, also moves southward each day. At the winter solstice, the Sun’s path has reached its southernmost position. The next day, the path will advance northward. However, a few days before and after the winter solstice, the change is so slight that the Sun’s path seems to stay the same, or stand still. The Sun is directly overhead at "high-noon" on Winter Solstice at the latitude called the Tropic of Capricorn. In the Northern Hemisphere, the solstice days are the days with the fewest hours of sunlight during the whole year.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages hehthuryo

I bought two. I'm hoping it will keep the electric bill down to heat the rooms I use instead of the entire house since I live alone.

wooters!!

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wooters!!
hehthuryo wrote:I bought two. I'm hoping it will keep the electric bill down to heat the rooms I use instead of the entire house since I live alone.

As long as the main purpose is for heating a small room instead of more localized heating it would be okay.
The auto mode of the fan is basically not useful because the design of the thermostat control causes it to switch on only for an instant before turning back off again. Once it kicks on, it immediately heats up the thermostat and shuts off again, causing a really annoying on-off cycle. If you switch the fan mode to 'ON' then the fan stays on continuously, with the heating element still switching on and off very frequently, but at least the sound of the fan will mask out the relay clicking on and off.

The grille has narrow and dense slats so the airflow when used as a regular fan is nothing like the fabled Vornado quietness and airflow expected from their regular air circulators.

There's no control of the fan speed other than on and off, so if you aim it at yourself, you have to turn the heat on max to get decently warm air, which is ultimately less efficient if you don't want to need to warm the whole room. A lower speed fan running at lower wattage or one of those parabolic heat dishes suit me better as I just need localized heat. If you turn the thermostat control down on this, the air flowing out just feels cold because of the relatively high airflow.
The fan just makes it feel colder- this is best reserved for when you want to heat a small enclosed airspace, rather than a person.

engineire

quality posts: 5 Private Messages engineire
wooters!! wrote:As long as the main purpose is for heating a small room instead of more localized heating it would be okay.
The auto mode of the fan is basically not useful because the design of the thermostat control causes it to switch on only for an instant before turning back off again. Once it kicks on, it immediately heats up the thermostat and shuts off again, causing a really annoying on-off cycle. If you switch the fan mode to 'ON' then the fan stays on continuously, with the heating element still switching on and off very frequently, but at least the sound of the fan will mask out the relay clicking on and off.

The grille has narrow and dense slats so the airflow when used as a regular fan is nothing like the fabled Vornado quietness and airflow expected from their regular air circulators.

There's no control of the fan speed other than on and off, so if you aim it at yourself, you have to turn the heat on max to get decently warm air, which is ultimately less efficient if you don't want to need to warm the whole room. A lower speed fan running at lower wattage or one of those parabolic heat dishes suit me better as I just need localized heat. If you turn the thermostat control down on this, the air flowing out just feels cold because of the relatively high airflow.
The fan just makes it feel colder- this is best reserved for when you want to heat a small enclosed airspace, rather than a person.

Great points.
It will be interesting to see what wooters have to say about the performance of this heater and if the thermostat is really that annoying once in operation.

davidwido

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidwido

just got mine today and already using it. I set it the thermostat to about 40% and it noticeably heats the room. Very quiet too.

mykdee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mykdee

Just wanted to add my 2 cents here-

Ordered 2 and got them pretty fast 2-3 days I think.

The model number is EH1-0025-01 Model VTH
Spcs -120VAC 12.5 Amps 1500 Watts

Is intended for indoor use on the floor only.

Says to avoid extension cords but if you must use one make it a 14AWG rated no less than 15amps @ 125VAC or 1875Watts.

jamtrac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamtrac

I purchased this and I love it so far. Tested it by tipping it over and only cool air comes out. Used it all night for the first time and I had to turn it off because I was getting too warm. This will be great when winter hits!

visualinferno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages visualinferno

I bought this Woot on 9/24. The heater stayed in box until last week. I've used the heater 3 times and now it's dead. The power light comes on but no heat, no fan, nothing. I need to stop buying junk onlne. :o/

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

visualinferno wrote:I bought this Woot on 9/24. The heater stayed in box until last week. I've used the heater 3 times and now it's dead. The power light comes on but no heat, no fan, nothing. I need to stop buying junk onlne. :o/

It has a one-year warranty with Vornado. When I had to contact them about my fan, they were great. Give them a call or email.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

abrandeis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abrandeis
emehew wrote:I bought 2 of those and they still work great. I use them year-round to circulate air.

Hi- not sure if you will reply, but did you see any increase in your electric bill? I saw a huge increase in mine, and I bought 2 of these thinking it would lower my bill since my kids rooms are above the garage and it gets so cold if I don't run the central Air/heat plus our master suite gets really hot if we run the heat (just to keep the kids rooms warm).