luckycharmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luckycharmer

That sealed the deal for me so I just placed an order for one. I watch tv strictly from my IPad at the moment and when I finally mount my flatscreen on the wall I will be watching on that via airplay. I travel a lot so this seems ideal.

patnugent wrote:This is correct and kind of awesome.

simpleatl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpleatl

I apologize your order took so long to ship. We are looking into what the cause of the delay was and will absolutely address it. I realize we caused you an inconvenience, we typically will ship same or next business day.

smigit2002 wrote:Weird, that sucks. Mine, purchased on the 25th of August shipped on the 3rd of September.

patnugent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
luckycharmer wrote:That sealed the deal for me so I just placed an order for one. I watch tv strictly from my IPad at the moment and when I finally mount my flatscreen on the wall I will be watching on that via airplay. I travel a lot so this seems ideal.

Last hotel I stayed at had HDMI in on the television so I just hooked up my ipad with hdmi and was able to enjoy my shows!

luckycharmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luckycharmer

One more question. Although I do plan on using the DVR feature, the external hard drive is an option not a requirement right? So in other words if I were content to strictly stream I would not need the hard drive?

jlwhite90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlwhite90

So I don't care about the DVR part I care more about the streaming abilities. Will this let me stream my sports away from home like ESPN and Fox Sports Affiliates or just basic channels? I already have a DVR and a digital HD BOX I just to stream away from? Will this box do that?

EDIT:

Will Simple.TV work at my house?
Simple.TV is a DVR that works with antennas and digital basic cable. Using Simple.TV with digital basic cable is a slam-dunk – if you are curious about what channels you'll get, just connect the cable from the wall to your TV, perform a scan and note which channels come up. Simple.TV will generally be able to access the same channels as your TV's tuner. Note that Simple.TV does not support analog basic cable. The vast majority of cable operators in the USA broadcast in digital – but check with your operator to see what you receive.

So according to this the channels on that I receive without my cable providers digital box I should be able to receive with the simple tv? Which for me is channels 2 - 70 and would include ESPN and all the sports channels I want.

simpleatl

You do require a USB external hard drive to be attached even if you plan on just streaming before using the DVR functionality.

luckycharmer wrote:One more question. Although I do plan on using the DVR feature, the external hard drive is an option not a requirement right? So in other words if I were content to strictly stream I would not need the hard drive?

simpleatl

You can receive unencrypted basic cable or over-the-air broadcast TV via an antenna. Go to this site and type in your zip code to see what programming is available in your location.

http://www.gomohu.com/

jlwhite90 wrote:So I don't care about the DVR part I care more about the streaming abilities. Will this let me stream my sports away from home like ESPN and Fox Sports Affiliates or just basic channels? I already have a DVR and a digital HD BOX I just to stream away from? Will this box do that?

EDIT:

Will Simple.TV work at my house?
Simple.TV is a DVR that works with antennas and digital basic cable. Using Simple.TV with digital basic cable is a slam-dunk – if you are curious about what channels you'll get, just connect the cable from the wall to your TV, perform a scan and note which channels come up. Simple.TV will generally be able to access the same channels as your TV's tuner. Note that Simple.TV does not support analog basic cable. The vast majority of cable operators in the USA broadcast in digital – but check with your operator to see what you receive.

So according to this the channels on that I receive without my cable providers digital box I should be able to receive with the simple tv? Which for me is channels 2 - 70 and would include ESPN and all the sports channels I want.

rodross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rodross

Hi,
I also ordered a Simple.tv on the last woot off and have not received one yet.
Questions:

• What operating system does the Simple.TV STV-1000 itself run ? Is it Gnu/Linux ?
  • Why will a flash drive not work ? I know a USB hard disk drive is required.
  • Does the Simple.TV STV-1000 loose all functionality if there is no internet connection but I have local area network ( my local net ) ?
  • What happens if I connect to the Simple.TV STV-1000 box by entering the IP address into a web browser ?
  • Is silverlight required on the viewing device ?
  • Is adobe flash required on the viewing device and if so what version ?
  • Web browsers are supported such as Chrome. Google TV includes a Chrome browser with adobe flash and html5 compatibility for video play back so will that work ?
  • What role does the internet web site play (simple.tv ) in administering my videos ? My I also administer my videos ( such as add or delete tv programs, schedule to record ) locally by connecting to the device itself ?
  • I understand we will possibly in the future be able to download recorded content in a playable format. Are there any plans to also incorporate the ability to upload content to the Simple.TV STV-1000 ?

Many Thanks !

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

What is the record number of pages and posts for a 'normal', single product Woot? ;-) It seems like we've seen 5 pages several times in the past...

ccasey3655

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccasey3655
simpleatl wrote:Yes, that is correct.

Just being clear. This statement conflicts with your website FAQ section. I believe you only need one account for multiple simple.tv boxes.

From the website:

I have 2 Simple.TV units, do I need an extra subscription?

No! We believe in value and we don’t nickel and dime you to death. Our subscriptions are tied to you (the viewer) and you can choose to have one unit or many units on your account. As long as you’re the primary subscriber, you can have as many units as you wish.

jump4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jump4
patnugent wrote:Everything that doesn't require hardware changes is also applicable to the white box, this includes upcoming MP-4 downloads via web for sideloading, direct tablet downloads on Android/iOS (with new clients), Chromecast support, etc.

And the lifetime premier subscription included with this purchase is also applicable to future models (you'll be able to add more than one Simple.TV to an account later this year and the subscription will apply to all of them)

Patrick,
It is a great product in theory.

By the end of this year, will we be able to link 3 units to function like a 3-tuner DVR that assigns tuner as needed for simultaneous recording, or will we still have to switch from one unit to another?

The Simple.TV app on Roku does not display a grid of upcoming TV shows by channel and time. Will this basic feature be added by software anytime soon?

Switching channels while viewing live TV is still painfully slow. When will this be fixed?

There is no way to change the recording priority of programs when there are conflicts. When will this be fixed by software upgrade?

patnugent

rodross wrote:Hi,
I also ordered a Simple.tv on the last woot off and have not received one yet.

>>What operating system does the Simple.TV STV-1000 itself run ? Is it Gnu/Linux ?

Need to confirm, it is some flavor or BSD or Linux (Yes, I realize there is a big difference between the two)

>> Why will a flash drive not work ? I know a USB hard disk drive is required.

It's not so much that a flash drive won't work, as much as it's difficult to qualify flash drives given that you can see difference performance levels in the same model of flash drive. That said, high speed flash drives from a major vendor do usually work without issue but aren't officially supported.

>> Does the Simple.TV STV-1000 loose all functionality if there is no internet connection but I have local area network ( my local net ) ?

You'd be able to continue watching whichever show or program you were watching when the Internet dropped but wouldn't be able to start anything new given that all of the EPG and program data is stored server side. We're looking into a way to have a failsafe that would at least allow playback of recorded content but that won't be available in the near future.

>> What happens if I connect to the Simple.TV STV-1000 box by entering the IP address into a web browser ?

Not much. ;)

>> Is silverlight required on the viewing device ?

Yes, although we've exposed an HTML 5 option in Safari on Mac that you can play with.

>> Is adobe flash required on the viewing device and if so what version ?

No.

>Web browsers are supported such as Chrome. Google TV includes a Chrome browser with adobe flash and html5 compatibility for video play back so will that work ?

No - not yet at least.

>>What role does the internet web site play (simple.tv ) in administering my videos ? My I also administer my videos ( such as add or delete tv programs, schedule to record ) locally by connecting to the device itself ?

All of the program data (guide, etc) is online. Your actual recordings are stored on the local hard drive. When you connect to the website to watch content online, the pages you see rendered are coming from our servers and only the content in the video player window is coming from your local Simple.TV (unless you're outside the local network)

>>I understand we will possibly in the future be able to download recorded content in a playable format. Are there any plans to also incorporate the ability to upload content to the Simple.TV STV-1000

Discussion more than plans, there are already some great solutions for making personal media available so at least for the moment it's not something you'll see with Simple.TV. (Although I do look forward to being able to add my own videos to the library in the future).

- Patrick @ STV

mterayama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mterayama
EddieAngel333 wrote:WARNING BEWARE I PURCHASED THIS AT THE LAST WOOT OFF AND IT HAS YET TO SHIP ! NO TRACKING NUMBER NOTHING !
I WAS JUST TOLD TO SIT TIGHT !
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP !
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOT RECEIVED THEIRS YET ?
STUFF I BOUGHT AFTER THE WOOT OFF HAS ALREADY SHIPPED !
BOUGHT ON SEPTEMBER 26 !
YOU HAVE BALLS PUTTING IT UP FOR SALE WHEN YOU CANT EVEN FILL ORDERS FROM LAST MONTH !
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM DON'T SELL THEM !

Same here!

patnugent

ccasey3655 wrote:Just being clear. This statement conflicts with your website FAQ section. I believe you only need one account for multiple simple.tv boxes.

From the website:

No! We believe in value and we don’t nickel and dime you to death. Our subscriptions are tied to you (the viewer) and you can choose to have one unit or many units on your account. As long as you’re the primary subscriber, you can have as many units as you wish.

I may have to flog the marketing guys for pushing some copy to the website a few weeks early.

Right now, one account/subscription per DVR. In the next month or so (targeted for November-ish) you'll be able to simply add additional additional Simple.TV boxes to your account (and toggle between them with the same login) without an additional subscription - the subscription is tied to the account and all DVRs attached to that account use it.

simpleatl

Sorry for the confusion. The statement from the website is for our next generation product that will be available in a couple months. Today, 2 Simple.TV's = 2 separate accounts.

ccasey3655 wrote:Just being clear. This statement conflicts with your website FAQ section. I believe you only need one account for multiple simple.tv boxes.

From the website:

patnugent

jump4 wrote:Patrick,
It is a great product in theory

I like to think so... ;)

>>By the end of this year, will we be able to link 3 units to function like a 3-tuner DVR that assigns tuner as needed for simultaneous recording, or will we still have to switch from one unit to another?

No. (sorry, sometimes the honest answer is the best) You will be able to have them all linked to the same account and for recording at least initially you'll have to choose which DVR you're recording on. Aggregating the tuners across DVRs is a little more complicated when it sounds when DVRs can be in different physical locations with different video sources - plus some folks like knowing (like my mom) that her DVR is only recording her soaps and no one is doing anything else on there.

The plan is to however display the library (recorded shows aka My Shows) of all DVRs at the same time.

>>The Simple.TV app on Roku does not display a grid of upcoming TV shows by channel and time. Will this basic feature be added by software anytime soon?

We won't be additional a traditional legacy EPG (the grid guide) and in fact may be removing that view from mobile apps as we switch to a show based approached (think lots of pretty tiles, categorized by whatever your heart my desire).

>> Switching channels while viewing live TV is still painfully slow. When will this be fixed?

It is a bit painful at times, we've got it down by a few seconds internally through changes to the video player and are working on this actively still. Sort of a non-answer answer here so I don't put out any false hope but we do hope to ensure it's sub-5 second before the end of year.

>> There is no way to change the recording priority of programs when there are conflicts. When will this be fixed by software upgrade?

As someone who is OCD about what gets recorded I know how you feel on this one, before the end of year. We actually have it working internally and just need to figure out where to polish and push it before it's live.

And with that I'm going to shut off the power in the house and install a nest thermostat, if I haven't killed myself I'll be back shortly!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

For those of you that are still waiting on your Simple.TV from the 9/26 sale, it looks like we're just waiting for the tracking file to get up loaded.

We've been told that all product shipped on 10/4.

I checked a couple of your orders and it looks like Track By Reference is working. It's the weekend so there's not much data there yet.

You can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

renais

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renais
bolintb wrote:Hi. Here is my setup: OTA only with a WII for netflix. I have a PC in the office and a wifi network. We are currently using an old VCR with "digital converter box". We want to record and then watch on the normal TV.

I would love to get a subscription-less DVR that I could use in the place of the VCR/Digital Converter. We mainly just want to record about 2 hours of shows that we could watch on a different night. Is this the <$200 solution?

Any other suggestions?

-------
I love my Panasonic DVR. It has a tuner to get OTA tv, but no hard drive so I use dvds (both re-usable and one-time-only, depending). Mine's years old and later ones had hard drives. However, stand-alone DVR/tuners are becoming quite rare in the US. Don't know if it's TiVo pressure or other, but it's bad for consumers. Btw, my setup is OTA/Wii/Netflix on Wii/DVR. Great for me, ymmv. I never watch TV in real time, but don't watch much broadcast tv or I'd probably have a hard drive in my dvr.

wizwor

quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor
bolintb wrote:Hi. Here is my setup: OTA only with a WII for netflix. I have a PC in the office and a wifi network. We are currently using an old VCR with "digital converter box". We want to record and then watch on the normal TV.

I would love to get a subscription-less DVR that I could use in the place of the VCR/Digital Converter. We mainly just want to record about 2 hours of shows that we could watch on a different night. Is this the <$200 solution?

Any other suggestions?

I love the DTVPal for this. It is a dual tuner DVR with a disk. Echostar is producing a new line of OTA DVRs for channel master this fall.

Simple.tv is a headless computer with an atsc tuner, a nic, and a usb connector. It has low power requirements and is relatively inexpensive. This deal includes a service that provides a tv guide and the ability to record only unique episodes of a program. You can configure this to record favorite episodes to a usb disk and play them back on up to five Rokus/devices concurrently. I happen to own five Rokus. For $100, this is a good deal. I got one. I plan to sit this in a corner and program it to record our favorite shows. We will access these via existing Rokus.

That said, this is a *very* limited solution and there are a lot of alternatives that might serve you better. It really is only suitable for OTA (broadcast television) reception as the cable companies are encrypting their channels and moving them to places that cannot be tuned by these devices. It's not a great whole-house-solution as one tuner makes it difficult to watch live television. If you have to buy a disk and Rokus, this is not inexpensive. The file format can only be played back via simple.tv, so when your unit becomes obsolete, so does your library.

One more thing. Simple TV v2 is going to be made by Silicon Graphics -- the HDHomeRun people. Simple says the new hardware and software will work with the old. So you are paying for the premium service, getting a free tuner, and getting ready for v2. Thanks for helping me talk myself into this.

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/

jump4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jump4

How exactly does one use this with an Apple TV?

simpleatl wrote:There are updates in works that will allow Simple.TV to stream to devices like Google Chromecast, XBOX,ONE and more. Today you can use a Roku or AppleTV box with Simple.TV if you have either one of those or are if you are considering purchasing one.

jcharavda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcharavda
kermur wrote:Uh, what? Your VCR records at 1080 and wide screen? Your VCR then streams to your network? Your post contributes nothing.

Oh, and you won't have to fear "packet loss? " Lol. Yeh, just 90% loss of fidelity.

This does NOT have a WIFI! looks like just an Ethernet connection. Can anybody confirm this?

patnugent

jump4 wrote:How exactly does one use this with an Apple TV?

Via AirPlay from the Simple.TV app on iPad (or from the built in player if you're logging into Simple.TV from Safari on another iOS device).

jcharavda wrote:This does NOT have a WIFI! looks like just an Ethernet connection. Can anybody confirm this?

Confirmed - but remember it also doesn't need to be near your television, it's usually easier to put the Simple.TV near your Internet router (assuming your OTA antenna has line-of-sight in that room).

behall5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages behall5

Bought this on Woot about an month or so ago for $149. It just has too many problems to work reliably.

kbalcom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbalcom

I"m in the same situation...bought on the 26th of Sept. Hasn't shipped, no tracking number, no emails from Woot other than the order "confirmation" with the order number. I'm not happy they haven't filled my order and here they are selling it again...and I'm posting this on Oct. 6th.

EddieAngel333 wrote:WARNING BEWARE I PURCHASED THIS AT THE LAST WOOT OFF AND IT HAS YET TO SHIP ! NO TRACKING NUMBER NOTHING !
I WAS JUST TOLD TO SIT TIGHT !
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP !
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOT RECEIVED THEIRS YET ?
STUFF I BOUGHT AFTER THE WOOT OFF HAS ALREADY SHIPPED !
BOUGHT ON SEPTEMBER 26 !
YOU HAVE BALLS PUTTING IT UP FOR SALE WHEN YOU CANT EVEN FILL ORDERS FROM LAST MONTH !
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM DON'T SELL THEM !

[MOD: FedEx Track by Reference is now working. All orders shipped Friday 10/4. Click here for more info.]

spaceguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spaceguy

I don't notice anyone mentioning it but there is no HDMI and I've read nothing about wireless with this. I would have to get ethernet from my roadrunner connection to my dish network receiver.

I haven't tried it, but live in the woods and local antenna TV is probably not good. Could this use my dish network signal thru the coax? I don't think so but please correct me if that is wrong. This might be a simple way to disconnect my dish DVR.

wizwor

spaceguy wrote:I don't notice anyone mentioning it but there is no HDMI and I've read nothing about wireless with this. I would have to get ethernet from my roadrunner connection to my dish network receiver.

I haven't tried it, but live in the woods and local antenna TV is probably not good. Could this use my dish network signal thru the coax? I don't think so but please correct me if that is wrong. This might be a simple way to disconnect my dish DVR.

this is not for you, spaceguy.

dcrepeau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcrepeau

I don't have/want cable, my antenna is in my attic and connects to my televisions via connections to wall plug ins that I had run when when I built the house. So my antenna can be accessed through these wall outlets in several rooms.

I do have one Roku that is connected to my home network wirelessly. The Roku is connected to my tv through the Roku hdmi connection. Would simple tv work for that type of setup? If so, how would it be connected?

wizwor

dcrepeau wrote:I don't have/want cable, my antenna is in my attic and connects to my televisions via connections to wall plug ins that I had run when when I built the house. So my antenna can be accessed through these wall outlets in several rooms.

I do have one Roku that is connected to my home network wirelessly. The Roku is connected to my tv through the Roku hdmi connection. Would simple tv work for that type of setup? If so, how would it be connected?

Sure. You continue to watch TV as you do now except that you configure the Simple DVR to capture your favorite shows. On the Roku, you can watch those shows. You *could* use the Simple DVR as a source to watch/pause/rewind live programming on ONE set as long as you are not recording something. See the issue?

patnugent

dcrepeau wrote:I don't have/want cable, my antenna is in my attic and connects to my televisions via connections to wall plug ins that I had run when when I built the house. So my antenna can be accessed through these wall outlets in several rooms.

You're actually the perfect person to take advantage of Simple.TV since you already have an antenna and know you get reception! You'll be able to watch on TV through Roku, as well as on the web or via iPad, etc!

aftab7000

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aftab7000
mhutton wrote:The lifetime activation code comes from Simple.tv. It's located on the front page of the set up guide

Thanks for the information - in for 1.

simpleatl

Yes, only an Ethernet connection. Once connected to your wireless router, streaming around the home is all wireless.

jcharavda wrote:This does NOT have a WIFI! looks like just an Ethernet connection. Can anybody confirm this?

dcrepeau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcrepeau
patnugent wrote:You're actually the perfect person to take advantage of Simple.TV since you already have an antenna and know you get reception! You'll be able to watch on TV through Roku, as well as on the web or via iPad, etc!

One post said that the simple tv has to be connected via an Ethernet cable to the router. I don't have an antenna outlet near my router . Does the simple tv itself have to be connected via a cable to an antenna?

wizwor

dcrepeau wrote:One post said that the simple tv has to be connected via an Ethernet cable to the router. I don't have an antenna outlet near my router . Does the simple tv itself have to be connected via a cable to an antenna?

Yes. The Simple DVR is directly connected to ethernet and signal source (antenna or unencrypted cable).

midwaychilibean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midwaychilibean

Will this work with Apple TV?

teh "REAL" Chilibean

hworang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hworang

I have roku hd that does not have an ethernet port on the back of it. Does that mean that I cannot connect my roku to simple.tv box? From everything I read it does not sound like the simple tv box has wireless so how would I connect it to my roku?

Thank you

patnugent

midwaychilibean wrote:Will this work with Apple TV?

If you're using the Simple.TV iPad app you can push video to Apple TV with AirPlay.

wizwor

hworang wrote:I have roku hd that does not have an ethernet port on the back of it. Does that mean that I cannot connect my roku to simple.tv box? From everything I read it does not sound like the simple tv box has wireless so how would I connect it to my roku?

Thank you

No. Well, you do not understnad. You plug your roku into your network and you plug your Simple DVR into the network. Both can plug into your router or you can have one or both plugged into switches on your network. You do not plug your roku into the DVR.

patnugent

hworang wrote:I have roku hd that does not have an ethernet port on the back of it. Does that mean that I cannot connect my roku to simple.tv box? From everything I read it does not sound like the simple tv box has wireless so how would I connect it to my roku?

Thank you

The Simple.TV needs a wired connection to your network, but your Roku can remain wireless. It talks over your local network, they don't actually need a physical connection between the two.

As long as your Simple.TV is connected via Ethernet to your network, you don't need to make any changes to your Roku. (Although you'll want to install the Simple.TV channel fr the Roku Channel Store.

mattshann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattshann

so could i record channels that my antenna does not pick up? we dont have cable with just use an antenna and it only picks up a couple of channels. would this work?

wizwor

mattshann wrote:so could i record channels that my antenna does not pick up? we dont have cable with just use an antenna and it only picks up a couple of channels. would this work?

No. The DRV needs to get programming from an OTA or cable connection. You will get no additional programming.