eddykim3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddykim3
jon98gn wrote:I haven't really used it much, but because it is DLNA certified, it just shows up under video as a service.

PS3 also uses DTCP-IP so it will be able to stream premium channels like HBO and Showtime.

Silicondust

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silicondust
thequonk wrote:This is incorrect, since the DRM is decoded in the HDHomerun this device is able to watch DRM channels in Linux. I've been doing this for years with no issues.

There is a difference between encrypted channels, and DRMed (copy protected) channels. Channels that are encrypted, but not copy protected, can be accessed on Linux or any other platform. This includes the bulk of channels on Comcast and Verizon, but for other providers, it may or may not be a lot.

Channels that are copy protected have DRM applied to them leaving the HDHomeRun PRIME, and can only be accessed by hardware or software that supports approved DRM, like Windows Media Center, a PS3, or the HDHomeRun VIEW app for Android. This includes premium channels like HBO on every provider, and on certain providers like TWC and Brighthouse, every encrypted channel.

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.
Website | Community Forum | Submit a Support Ticket

Silicondust

efooter wrote:Can anyone in the know tell me if this runs an OCAP stack, and if so, can I write and run my own Java Xlets for this? Or is that just wishful thinking?

E- I'll partially answer the first half of my own question - it is CableLabs certified, so it probably runs an OCAP stack. Now if I could only run those Xlets :O

SiliconDust’s HDHomeRun® PRIME™ achieves CableLabs® OpenCable™ Certification
http://www.silicondust.com/company/news/

No, it is not OCAP. OCAP (better known by the marketing name Tru2way) basically died on the vine as a concept for retail devices. Some providers do run OCAP interfaces on their own hardware, but it never went anywhere in the customer-owned device realm.

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.

FezMonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FezMonkey

Too bad this isn't compatible with DirecTV, or I'd be in ...

efooter

quality posts: 18 Private Messages efooter
Silicondust wrote:No, it is not OCAP. OCAP (better known by the marketing name Tru2way) basically died on the vine as a concept for retail devices. Some providers do run OCAP interfaces on their own hardware, but it never went anywhere in the customer-owned device realm.

Figures as much. I spent a few semesters working for a STB OEM (which shall remain nameless, as most OEMs are ). Now I can be at ease trying to forget all that obscure knowledge.

To be honest I'm kind of surprised this device even exists...

jstanley1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jstanley1
moonie66 wrote:This may be a silly question but I saw someone else - less techy - like me ask it too. How do I change the channels? With PC Media?

Yes. It has a program guide that looks like this: http://images.thegioididong.com/Files/2011/03/10/32212/389_Cach-thiet-lap-cac-cai-dat-trong-Windows-7-Media-C.png

You just choose the show you want in the guide, or use the channel +/- controls to scroll through live tv.

Windows Media Center is a great option to use with the HD Homerun Prime. There are other options too.

davevv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davevv

Can you use video from a Roku instead of cable?

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
joelsisk wrote:For what it's worth, I'm trying to figure out if this product will even do anything for me. I don't have a gaming system, just one smart tv and 2 dumb (CRT!) tvs. I was thinking I might just use this to feed a dvr, but not sure if that's "all" I need, whether this is the most appropriate product. I do have some spare computer/laptop hardware and external drives, but they only connect via usb (2), so not sure they would be appropriate to stream HD. And if I can't stream to the dumb CRTs, I'd have to pay the "additional outlet" and "additional digital adapter" fees anyway, which makes me think I may just be better off with a TiVo.

As someone who has used HTPCs and TiVo, as well as cable company provided DVRs for years, I can tell you that from an ease of use, "just works" perspective, and for the use of non-techy-family-members, TiVo is vastly superior in every possible way to any HTPC you can build or buy, and noticeably better than most cable company DVRs (however, I haven't actually used a Comcast X1 yet so I can't say whether it has finally caught up or not).

If you like playing with stuff and don't mind if it doesn't always work 100% or if some stupid Java update or Windows update, etc, pop up when you're just trying to watch a show or a game, and don't mind worrying about antivirus and so forth, then yeah you could probably save a little money going with an HTPC versus TiVo and also have a fully functional "living room PC" at the same time.

I currently still have all three (TiVo, two HTPCs, and a cable company DVR). The TiVo gets the most use as it's the most reliable and easiest to work with. The cable company DVR sometimes randomly flakes out and the interface is kind of klunky but it mostly works. The HTPCs I still don't trust to reliably record (despite years of tweaking/changing things, upgrading hardware and software, etc) so are mostly used for computer-specific stuff or to watch live TV or movies at this point. The Ceton tuners have been part, but certainly not all, of the problem, so I'm going to try one of these HDHomeRun Primes to help improve things at least a little bit there.

Overall, despite 12 years of Windows Media Center, it's STILL not truly plug and play, nor hassle free (by any definition of the terms). About the same goes for XBMC/MythBox and friends, though worse in some respects while better in others.

Silicondust

efooter wrote:To be honest I'm kind of surprised this device even exists...

Why's that? It's about the only way to fight the rising costs of cable but still maintain the ability to (legally) watch all the great stuff cable has to offer. I personally am saving over $30 a month going with a single CableCARD instead of a 3 box setup. Speaking of the great stuff cable has to offer, it's about time for puck drop in Montreal.

Scooter32401

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Scooter32401

That's a good remote, I have two, but the older version is better. It's white and is backlit and cheaper as well.

mickloud wrote:With the xbox 360 controller

Or, you pick up a "Media Remote" (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/controllers/Xbox360MediaRemote) for the 360. I haven't done this yet but plan on it.

Scooter32401

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Scooter32401

I have far less trouble with my HTPC and HDHomeRuns than I do with my Verizon provided DVR. I've had to stop using the DVR for really important things (F1 races) due to its propensity to corrupt recordings at the worst possible times. Not to mention the added peace of mind of basically unlimited space. I still have 75 recordings from the winter olympics to watch!

kmartind wrote:As someone who has used HTPCs and TiVo, as well as cable company provided DVRs for years, I can tell you that from an ease of use, "just works" perspective, and for the use of non-techy-family-members, TiVo is vastly superior in every possible way to any HTPC you can build or buy, and noticeably better than most cable company DVRs (however, I haven't actually used a Comcast X1 yet so I can't say whether it has finally caught up or not).

If you like playing with stuff and don't mind if it doesn't always work 100% or if some stupid Java update or Windows update, etc, pop up when you're just trying to watch a show or a game, and don't mind worrying about antivirus and so forth, then yeah you could probably save a little money going with an HTPC versus TiVo and also have a fully functional "living room PC" at the same time.

I currently still have all three (TiVo, two HTPCs, and a cable company DVR). The TiVo gets the most use as it's the most reliable and easiest to work with. The cable company DVR sometimes randomly flakes out and the interface is kind of klunky but it mostly works. The HTPCs I still don't trust to reliably record (despite years of tweaking/changing things, upgrading hardware and software, etc) so are mostly used for computer-specific stuff or to watch live TV or movies at this point. The Ceton tuners have been part, but certainly not all, of the problem, so I'm going to try one of these HDHomeRun Primes to help improve things at least a little bit there.

Overall, despite 12 years of Windows Media Center, it's STILL not truly plug and play, nor hassle free (by any definition of the terms). About the same goes for XBMC/MythBox and friends, though worse in some respects while better in others.

jloiselle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jloiselle

Anyone using this with a Ceton Echo? I have an Infinitv with a 360 and few Echos. Might be nice to add a few tuners to the setup.

eddykim3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddykim3
jloiselle wrote:Anyone using this with a Ceton Echo? I have an Infinitv with a 360 and few Echos. Might be nice to add a few tuners to the setup.

I tried it with the Echo. Works fine, just hated the Echols remote.

kmartind

Scooter32401 wrote:I have far less trouble with my HTPC and HDHomeRuns than I do with my Verizon provided DVR. I've had to stop using the DVR for really important things (F1 races) due to its propensity to corrupt recordings at the worst possible times. Not to mention the added peace of mind of basically unlimited space. I still have 75 recordings from the winter olympics to watch!

The service-provider DVRs I've used have worked fairly reliably overall but I've lost some or all of maybe 0.5% of recordings due to the box locking up or crashing. With the HTPCs it probably fails in some way or another at least 10% of the time if not more. Probably greater than half of those failures are due to issues with the Ceton tuners though. Maybe with the HDHomeRun I'll be able to trust it a little bit more.

The TiVo has been really reliable, far more wife/kid/grandparent-friendly and has tons of space but I can't really justify the expense of another one when I already have the HTPCs, and the PC functionality also comes in handy.

Silicondust

jloiselle wrote:Anyone using this with a Ceton Echo? I have an Infinitv with a 360 and few Echos. Might be nice to add a few tuners to the setup.

Extenders don't know or care what kind of tuner the video is coming from. All of the tuner interaction is handled in a completely separate component from the playback (whether local or via an extender).

rjdyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjdyer
Silicondust wrote:Extenders don't know or care what kind of tuner the video is coming from. All of the tuner interaction is handled in a completely separate component from the playback (whether local or via an extender).

I just wanted to thank you for developing this product. I had to fight with Crumbcast to get a cable card (they kept telling me there is a shortage). When I finally got one they tried giving me a single stream card. They are a horrible company with an ever growing monopoly and I am glad there are companies and technology like yours helping us fight the rising costs.

I have my HD Homerun Prime setup on a Win7 Pro computer using NextPVR to feed multiple XBMC instances on Raspberry Pi and I can't say enough good things about the product.

That being said, you can get channels with the "Do Not Copy" bit set on WMC because it is a "recognized device" with Comcast. Is there any way to get the Homerun "recognized"?

Thanks, again!

Silicondust

rjdyer wrote:That being said, you can get channels with the "Do Not Copy" bit set on WMC because it is a "recognized device" with Comcast. Is there any way to get the Homerun "recognized"?

Not sure what you're asking here. HDHomeRun PRIME is fully capable of accessing copy-protected content. The cable industry places limits on where it can go from there. Whatever you're using to access the HDHomeRun PRIME also has to be capable of supporting those restrictions. WMC does. WMC extenders do. The PS3 and other DTCP-IP capable DLNA devices do. The HDHomeRun VIEW app for Android does. Other programs like NextPVR and XBMC don't, so they cannot be used to access that protected content.

efooter

quality posts: 18 Private Messages efooter
Silicondust wrote:Why's that? It's about the only way to fight the rising costs of cable but still maintain the ability to (legally) watch all the great stuff cable has to offer. I personally am saving over $30 a month going with a single CableCARD instead of a 3 box setup. Speaking of the great stuff cable has to offer, it's about time for puck drop in Montreal.

The laws separating security from tuners were meant to allow for 3rd parties to more easily develop their own set top boxes. Cable companies and their OEMs have maintained a virtual monopoly in the market through various means including exemptions (DTAs), contracts (exclusivity with OEMs), and convenience (free setup!).

Also, you don't just go walk into Best Buy and get a set top box. Tough market in my opinion, but more power to you SiliconDust!

Phatern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phatern

How do I use this with a Time Warner Cable
Router that already uses the coaxial cable? Forgive me if I'm missing something but unless I get a cable splitter and an amplifier I'm not sure how I'll be able to set this up.

mckinnej

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mckinnej
tmann05 wrote:You should opt for the Tablo. Roku is supported for viewing. It is a great device and I've been reading good reviews. The current model has 2 tuners and the 4 tuner model is coming soon.

http://www.tablotv.com/

It's so funny to read about everyone's tv setups and how much work is being put into them. I use an OTA Antenna for local channels and playon + roku for any other content I could ever need.

Search youtube for "using playon and roku to get free tv" and watch my video you will see what I mean.

All you need is:
*A good computer
*Playon software
*Roku
*TV
*Internet

I pay $25 a month for internet and can get anything you guys with cable are getting.

Thank me later

Wish I had seen your post and another one from SiliconDust before I ordered the HDHRP. It will not work for my setup. Bummer. Hope I can get it canceled before it ships.

The Tableo looks interesting, but it's pretty expensive. Maybe one of the other SiliconDust devices will do the trick. Thanks.

Silicondust

Phatern wrote:How do I use this with a Time Warner Cable
Router that already uses the coaxial cable? Forgive me if I'm missing something but unless I get a cable splitter and an amplifier I'm not sure how I'll be able to set this up.

You would split the incoming cable. An amplifier may or may not be needed depending on what kind of signal levels you have currently.

4mcdago

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4mcdago
hashiriya2k wrote:has anyone had success using this with Verizon FIOS?

I'm about to. It looks like a cable card is $4.99/? month?
I think it will work well. For the earlier poster you do not need windows 8 win 7 media ctr will work fin.

Crab

quality posts: 47 Private Messages Crab

Bought one of these the last time it was offered on Woot. A little tricky to set up, but seems to run ok now.

One issue that maybe someone can help me with:

It seems to have difficulty with live TV (i.e., real time broadcasts of sporting events). I've been watching the NHL playoffs on Windows Media Center, and it stutters and has pixel issues fairly often. I Googled around and couldn't find much on it, though others have had the same problem. My refresh rate is 59 or 60 (can't remember which).

I've had this problem with both channels that the playoffs are airing on, but it only occurs during the live transmission of the game. When there is other programming (i.e., not live sports), these channels work fine. Also, all my other channels (including premium channels like Showtime) run without a hitch.

Any suggestions?

hondo5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hondo5

Can more than 1 tv receive a feed at the some time?Thanks

eno45

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eno45

I have been using this model for the last year. I love it, works great and never have to unplug it to reset it. Just keeps on working. I have 4 Windows 7 PC's (3 hooked up to TV's) that I watch my cable through. I used to run tuner cards in all my PC's but this is simply the best way to go for me. I considered buying a 2nd one but I really don't ever need 6 tuners. So glad it works so well with my Comcast. Now I need to drop my channels package back down, spendy now that I can have full cable through my PC's. Just need to hold out till MotoGP & F1 is over.

Silicondust

Crab wrote:Any suggestions?

Have you opened a ticket with our support? They can check some diagnostics and let you know what's going on. Link is in my signature. If you want to save some time, before you open the ticket, go into HDHomeRun Setup, check the box to send diagnostic data, then watch something with a problem in QuickTV for a few minutes. Looks like NBCSN has Premier League on right now and that ought to do the trick if you're seeing it on all live sports.

Silicondust

hondo5 wrote:Can more than 1 tv receive a feed at the some time?Thanks

3 tuners means up to 3 channels can be accessed at once.

kmartind

Crab wrote:It seems to have difficulty with live TV (i.e., real time broadcasts of sporting events). I've been watching the NHL playoffs on Windows Media Center, and it stutters and has pixel issues fairly often. I Googled around and couldn't find much on it, though others have had the same problem. My refresh rate is 59 or 60 (can't remember which).

I've had this problem with both channels that the playoffs are airing on, but it only occurs during the live transmission of the game. When there is other programming (i.e., not live sports), these channels work fine. Also, all my other channels (including premium channels like Showtime) run without a hitch.

Any suggestions?

While it could be an issue with the tuner or PC (or home network), it could also still be related to a marginally weak cable signal. That can sometimes affect only certain channels, or 1080i vs 720p vs 480, etc. If you're splitting the cable more than once after it reaches the house or have long distances between outlets or poor quality cables/connections/splitters that can be enough to do it. After having the cable company replace the drop from the street to the house, I still ended up needing a drop amp for the number of outlets we have, and I also re-wired with RG6.

KenHAVSHDTV

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KenHAVSHDTV
kmartind wrote:The Ceton tuners have been part....of the problem...

This seems to be a common thread when someone has issues with this type of system.

From what I can tell once a system is set up properly with the HDHomeRun Prime, it just runs as desired.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

bswarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bswarm

Cox San Diego charges $2 a month for a cable card. But, when you order it online they add a $60 charge for professional installation, or $30 for a self install kit. You have to choose one or the other to finish the order. A call to cox will get you the card only, the self installation kit only includes the card and an instruction paper!
Edit: You need a Tuner Adapter from the cable company too, something Cox didn't tell me until the 3rd phone call. It was free, just had to go to the Cox Retail store to pick up the kit. I guess the lady that told me I didn't need the install kit didn't know.

11 Bags Of Crap

isnus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages isnus
Silicondust wrote:3 tuners means up to 3 channels can be accessed at once.

I think that @hondo5 has the same question as me. I understand the 3 tuners and 3 channels at once - but how many devices can access the same channel/stream at once?

Can I have say, 4 devices streaming channel A, 2 devices streaming channel B, 5 devices streaming channel C - or is it limited to 1 device per channel?

anjenaire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anjenaire
mckinnej wrote:Another Roku question, sort of. I have a pretty simple setup. I use a plain old antenna to get OTA broadcasts and I have multiple Rokus for streaming media via Netflix, Plex, etc. I've got a network connection to each TV, but not an antenna connection.

Can I use this device to share the OTA channels to all of my TVs? (Let's keep this simple folks. I'm not interested in setting up a satellite tracking station just to watch TV. If this device will not do this, does anyone know of something that will? TIA!

Someone else already suggested the Tablo but another option is SimpleTV for over-the-air (not cable) whole house distribution. In fact Silicon Dust is manufacturing STV's 2nd generation box. Be aware this is a work in progress, but knock on wood, my system has been fairly stable. I am still waiting on future functionality to emerge, for a permanent fix to a over-heating issue (I plugged in a standalone USB fan/cooler and it appears to help loads) and time to watch everything I've recorded. The live TV over the Roku channel is OK but frankly it would be better to watch OTA via the antenna versus the network stream. The recorded shows work just fine on the Roku.

I've ordered one of these woot hd homerun prime units since switching "cable" TV providers (too good of a deal for the next two years) so now I am waiting on the USPS to deliver it. I will mainly use it for DVR purposes but occasionally use it via a PC attached to a monitor. I have Comcast and I expect there to be no charge for the cable card, a $10 charge for additional outlet, and a $2.50 credit so a net charge of $7.50 per month versus the $17.95 for a Comcast supplied DVR so really a net savings of $1 per month (the $17.95 would replace one $10 box so the net up for the Comcast supplied DVR is $7.95 per month). Having additional tuners is great and hopefully at some point I could return some boxes and get some additional savings. That said, I suspect that the reason this is on woot is that the newer generation model will soon be out that will stream direct to a Roku etc. without transcoding or with real-time transcoding ala the SimpleTV. That would make it easier to reduce the overall need for cable boxes (something I assume will make Comcast unhappy and they will fight tooth and nail against).

Edit: Hey woot! where is my stuff? You sent me notice that it "shipped" on the 7th but three days later and the tracking number still has no results. I want to know how I am going to spend my weekend. Fedex to USPS is just a bad choice when it comes to shipping IMO. Never seen it go well or timely.

bryandsavannah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryandsavannah

In anticipation of this arriving, I called comcast to see if I could swap out an SD box for a cable card. They tried to set up a purchase and schedule an install?? I politely told them I was not interested in paying a tech to drive to my house and "install" a card. This install is about as complicated as a poptart.

I drove over to the local Comcast service center and they swapped it out in under 2 minutes, without issue. They asked if I bought a tivo. When I said it was a SilconDust, one of the reps geeked out a bit. A few hours later I was notified that I would be receiving a small monthly bill credit for using personally owned equipment. Not Bad.

This is my second network tuner I have been using a OTA DUAL for a few months. Very cool tech when paired with a PC and 360.

shneurgarb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shneurgarb

I am extremely upset tried to get this to work for hours. It is no difference than what I get by viewing the Cable company laptop streaming service. I tried to return it the day I got it. Woot threw me back to the manufacturer. Was woot bought by a diffirent company? I have been buying items for years. I never had this problem.
Video doesn't work
SmartTV can't download an App to view it.
You need to take the card out of one cable box. Making that cable box not ready. This product is not as described.

I never put a comment like this but I didn't want someone else to have the same issue.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

shneurgarb wrote:I am extremely upset tried to get this to work for hours. It is no difference than what I get by viewing the Cable company laptop streaming service. I tried to return it the day I got it. Woot threw me back to the manufacturer. Was woot bought by a diffirent company? I have been buying items for years. I never had this problem.
Video doesn't work
You need to take the card out of one cable box. Making that cable box not ready. This product is not as described.

I never put a comment like this but I didn't want someone else to have the same issue.

The product you purchased does carry a 1 Year SiliconDust Warranty. If Silicon was unable to help you resolve the issue please feel free to email back into support@woot.com and let them know you were unable to find a solution.

tsigwing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsigwing
shneurgarb wrote:I am extremely upset tried to get this to work for hours. It is no difference than what I get by viewing the Cable company laptop streaming service. I tried to return it the day I got it. Woot threw me back to the manufacturer. Was woot bought by a diffirent company? I have been buying items for years. I never had this problem.
Video doesn't work

sounds like you didn't know what you were buying.

shneurgarb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shneurgarb
tsigwing wrote:sounds like you didn't know what you were buying.

Woot resolved issue. Thanks for restoring my faith into my favorite site.

bswarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bswarm

You can't take a card out of another box and put it in this and expect it to work. The cable card is paired to the device. If you switch cards between devices you have to call your cable company to reactivate the card for that device, by giving them the numbers it shows on the cablecard setup screen. And, you will probably need to get a "Tuner Adapter" from your cable company (free usually) which is inline between the cable from the wall and the HDhomerun, or you won't get all the channels.
One thing I'm pissed about is my Linux PC's won't tune the DRM'd channels, only Winblows Mediacenter will, which makes this useless for me.

11 Bags Of Crap

lkreed1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lkreed1

We purchased the HD HomeRun Prime, received the Cable Card in the mail. Now what? Do we have to activate the Cable Card? How do we do this? Does it have to be connected to a TV to get activated? Where does it get plugged into the router - there are over 4 ports on the router - only one of them seems to work with the HD HomeRun Prime but in the process it shuts off the connection to the Internet. Help!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lkreed1 wrote:We purchased the HD HomeRun Prime, received the Cable Card in the mail. Now what? Do we have to activate the Cable Card? How do we do this? Does it have to be connected to a TV to get activated? Where does it get plugged into the router - there are over 4 ports on the router - only one of them seems to work with the HD HomeRun Prime but in the process it shuts off the connection to the Internet. Help!!

Hi there. I'd suggest contacting the SiliconDust peeps to see if they can guide you.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders