michaeltal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaeltal

I would have gone with something more current than Enron. As my daughter says "That was so last decade!"

Other than that, it would have made my list if I had put one together.

PARTY!!!!!
Now go buy one of my shirts:

http://www.cafepress.com/bubbasdesigns

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Jckatz wrote:

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback.

Loser for the upteenth time.

I'd say the idea is solid enough, but it was the execution that got it overlooked. Firstly, the red cursive text is really bad mojo. If you have to use text to get the message across you might think about making your chop an advertisement for the product. Look at some ads in a magazine to see how they frame it, what fonts they use, etc. If you could have made a convincing looking ad that clearly conveyed the idea it may not have gotten overlooked. Also, on another technical note, there's white jaggies all round the hand, wire, and shredder. This is really bad juju. Take the time to get rid of those. As soon I see those I usually will jump to the next entry.

briannyc128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briannyc128
Jckatz wrote:So I am asking feed back on why this one didn't work.

The idea is very funny. In the case of this entry, I'd say simplifying the concept as much as possible is your best bet. For example, perhaps you could have worked out an image where the actual laptop was going through the shredder while still plugged into it.

Also, it seems rare that entries with explanatory text win (though I'm sure there are exceptions). Finding an interesting way to work the explanation into the image helps keep things simple. To give an example, maybe the focus of your entry is an enron memo suggesting people use the device, which you could include as an image within the memo. Probably not the best example, but the gist of it is there.

Edited to add: Tgentry's suggestion of an advertisement is a much better (and more regularly used) example. Compared to that, my suggestion is really bad moju.

intaglio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intaglio
Jckatz wrote:TEXT for the tag line is hard to read... I either should have used a bolder font or larger font.

Agreed. If it hurts my eyes to read the text, I won't. And like others have said, I try not to use text unless it's an advertisement or maybe a movie poster. Text can be very distracting and take away from the image.

justann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justann

re: Dual-Duty Shredder/Laptop Melter

Possibly you could have gotten the point across without using explanatory text if there were some sort of laser beam-thing shooting out the end of the shredder, thus melting the laptop while shredding. This in addition to the technical points that were already covered...

I find using any kind of script-y style of font very dicey to read. A nice plain font, with or without serifs, is much more readable. I like to throw a drop shadow behind it to pop it off the page; against a dark background, a white "drop shadow" that I spread out like a cloud can work too to make the text readable.

Here's my first try using my tablet and Inkscape.

YouCantWootThis

quality posts: 17 Private Messages YouCantWootThis

I agree. Funny concept, just needed a different visual. Maybe just the laptop coming out of the shredder like paper...

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Any new predictions on time of winning entry?

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
SkekTek wrote:Any new predictions on time of winning entry?

Mr./Ms. Tek,
Midnight CDT tonight, when the next contest announcement comes out.

terrimeyers

quality posts: 2 Private Messages terrimeyers
Toadlet wrote:I had a functioning IBM AT until I junked it about 5 years ago. For an 80286, it had "good" specs: 10 MHz Intel processor (and coprocessor?), 2 MB RAM (via Rampage ISA expansion board), two 40 MB 5.25" MFM hard drives, bus mouse, EGA monitor, 9 pin dot-matrix printer. But get this - the BIOS didn't support 1.44 MB floppy drives, custom hard drive specs, or the F11 and F12 keys. This was actually my first computer, purchased cheap because it was already obsolete, but still useful. 100 upgrades later, and you've got my current PC.

Ahh, the good ol' days of 16 colors and hard drive interleaves.

My first computer: The TRS-80 it ran off of a tape recorder (rewind tape set marker to 0000 fast forward to what ever point program is stored on etc.) there was no graphics. everything ran in DOS. eventually we upgraded (to the kind that ran off punch cards) Boy how far we have come.

Thanks SS for my new togs!

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND
terrimeyers wrote:My first computer: The TRS-80 it ran off of a tape recorder (rewind tape set marker to 0000 fast forward to what ever point program is stored on etc.) there was no graphics. everything ran in DOS. eventually we upgraded (to the kind that ran off punch cards) Boy how far we have come.

Must have been nice to have an operating system. Besides having to walk to school three miles uphill, both ways, my first 'puter was a Timex/Sinclair 1000, 2k memory, used a TV for a monitor, and stored programs on a portable cassette recorder. All it could do was BASIC language programming. I spent the extra money to upgrade the memory to 16k. I've still got the 'puter in my closet.

terrimeyers

quality posts: 2 Private Messages terrimeyers
GodfatherND wrote:Must have been nice to have an operating system. Besides having to walk to school three miles uphill, both ways, my first 'puter was a Timex/Sinclair 1000, 2k memory, used a TV for a monitor, and stored programs on a portable cassette recorder. All it could do was BASIC language programming. I spent the extra money to upgrade the memory to 16k. I've still got the 'puter in my closet.

oops! thats what I meant, BASIC.

Thanks SS for my new togs!

Jckatz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jckatz

Thanks for all the good feed back guys.

As for the old news, a very good point.

Also liked the idea of a PC shredder.

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915

Everything tgentry and others have said. Besides the jiggly white lines, keep it modern. Perhaps instead of enron, make it a michael vick dog rating sheet, or Tim Donaghy betting slips.

Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

marco

Signature censored by Woot

majit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages majit
Xexus wrote:marco

polo

know

quality posts: 0 Private Messages know

I think the place is important for a career

interior design!