jjhammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjhammer

If this is such a great deal why is there such a surplus of them?? Dells are much better and least expensive. I know-I have tried them all.

John Holland

metanoia29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metanoia29
hobbie wrote:People needs to stop whining about the OS costing $100+. I got my LEGAL XP Pro and XP 64 direct from MS for the price of shipping. And no, I'm not telling you how, other than you must have connections with existing programs.

Just take a computer class at a community college. It's cheap, you get credits (if you ever need them), and you get access to a crapload of free software.

Oops... the secret's out. :p

crythias

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crythias
equazcion wrote:If you're so apt at building computers, you should know that there are solutions to this, such as drive images, slipstream windows installations, or even AutoPatcher would save you most of that "hour plus".

Drive images? I suppose, if I always manage to get the same equipment, and by the time I get new equipment, my image is out of date for Windows Updates... Slipstream Windows Installations? I guess... I mean, if I don't trust the OS installation of the vendor, that might work. I don't figure installing the OS again is necessary for the boxes that I buy pre-installed with OS, but YMMV. AutoPatcher I haven't heard of, but thanks for the suggestion.

joeballs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeballs
TheLlama wrote:
...snip...I'll never buy a put together PC... every one I own is built by me. I'd also never build one for, say, my parents because I don't feel like driving over there every time something goes wrong... snip....

You've just answered what most of the people of these nearly 11 pages of crap have been going on about. By your own comment, a self-build will have problems. If you buy a computer, ALL the bits are covered under warranty. BTW, I don't give a FLIP about how much we can save. I just want some good advice from this forum. So far, almost 11 pages have been wasted on, "Yes, I can/No, you can't" drivel.

Peace, JB

mpaul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpaul

[quote user="Goanna"]
HP is great IMO. I have used their laptops for the last 4 years and have had several other products. Tech support has always been great for me on the rare occasions I needed it.
quote]

Really? My dad worked for HP for 31+ years. After he retired he bought one of their printers. When it stopped working (shortly after purchase) he called tech support. They wouldn't talk to him without him giving up his credit card number (tech support was charged to CC by the minute.) I could go on and on about HP horror stories, but I won't - I'm a shareholder.

slaixth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slaixth
vayate2 wrote:I worked at a computer repair ship last year and saw more Dells and HPs with major component failure than any other brand (especially motherboards and hard drives). That said, the media center PCs aren't as bad as the Pavilions and other desktops. Definitely not worth $720 though, since it will probably just break in a year.

Your assumption is flawed. Dell and HP are the top two computer manufacturers. It goes without saying that you'll see more Dells and HPs in for repair because there are more out in the world that can potentially break down.

dagimp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dagimp
metanoia29 wrote:
Just take a computer class at a community college. It's cheap, you get credits (if you ever need them), and you get access to a crapload of free software.

Oops... the secret's out. :p

Cheap? I had to pay $5 for three XP Pro licenses. What a rip, so pricey compared to Linux. =)

crazydragondink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazydragondink
fszabo wrote:

Best of all, it's not a Dell.

amen

dells are fine for schools and work because they are cheap and suck, but no way in hell would i get one for myself

i95rr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages i95rr

Does LINUX work better with this thing running MythTV.

Its gonna be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing!!!

r4ym4n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r4ym4n
crazydragondink wrote:

amen

dells are fine for schools and work because they are cheap and suck, but no way in hell would i get one for myself

does that mean that you don't like dell?
i think dell is better than hp....my friend bought an hp and he formated his comp, but he didn't have the drivers cd, so then he tried to look the drivers online but they didn't have it anymore (because they deleted it)

i think dell is better...
and this tower isn't dell ...

kinda a noob question....
i've never bought n e thing off of woot b4 but....if i wanted to buy 3 items....would my shipping be $5, or would it be $15?

WhiteBoyOfVernon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WhiteBoyOfVernon
r4ym4n wrote:kinda a noob question....
i've never bought n e thing off of woot b4 but....if i wanted to buy 3 items....would my shipping be $5, or would it be $15?

It is still just $5 for 1, 2, or 3 items.

Three tines isn't a fork. Three tines is a trident. Forks are for eating, tridents are for ruling the seven seas.

joeballs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeballs
r4ym4n wrote:

does that mean that you don't like dell?
i think dell is better than hp....my friend bought an hp and he formated his comp, but he didn't have the drivers cd, so then he tried to look the drivers online but they didn't have it anymore (because they deleted it)

i think dell is better...
and this tower isn't dell ...

kinda a noob question....

Just $5 for everything. That's what sets Woot! in a special place in my heart.

thesickest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thesickest

I'm an ex Dell engineer and manager and let me tell you, these companies dont waste any time or money. These machines are built as fast as possible with the absolute cheapest components, which are, most of the time bid for in bulk at a rate none of us could compete with going home built. But then again, you get what you pay for. Ever since I worked with Dell i've gone completely home built.

madCoder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madCoder
i95rr wrote:Does LINUX work better with this thing running MythTV.

Better? As in better than Windows on this, or better than MythTV on another machine? Either way it's subjective.

You'll probably need to do some research on hardware support in the linux kernel. I'm pretty sure everything should be supported in the stock kernel without requiring any additional packages for drivers. Only exception would be the nvidia graphics because you'd definitely want to use the nvidia proprietary binary driver - works much better than the open source "nv" driver (as it should). Depending on what type of TV tuner card, it might also need the IVTV package, but the video and audio encoders may be in the kernel.

Personally if I bought this for a media center PC, I would use MythTV with it. That's something else you PC builders need to think about, is what operating system you're going to use, and if linux, you need to make sure that there is support for whatever pieces of hardware you throw together.

Reformatter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Reformatter
equazcion wrote:

True about Dell using cheap parts, but even at Dell you won't find a system with these specs for $399. An AMD 64-bit X2 4200+, 320GB 3G hard drive with 2GB RAM and TV card? No, not for $399. The system that guy is looking at is probably one of their lowest-end PC's, so the answer to his question is that this HP system is simply faster and better with more features, that's why the price is higher than what he's looking at. When comparing systems from two different companies you have to compare systems with similar specs. Dell has systems that are similar to this, and that probably carry a similar price tag. Dell and HP are usually somewhat matched, as they are each others' main competitor.

Exactly, a lot of people don't understand though.

i24u

quality posts: 14 Private Messages i24u

[quote user="jessiebyrd004"]sold out means check the comparison sites and get this at the best rate you can... cuz this is a bomb product... or find something similar that's can come close to woots price... your choice... check the blog for the details i pulled together...[/quote

I Got home a little after 4pm and it was sold out. I have checked comparison sites and about the best i could do was $749 for a referbish dell at dell outlet. I think I will have to wait until the woot off. What do you think the chances are that it will be on a Woot Off.

anillaga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anillaga

I've got netgear wireless card on my parents MCE 05 pc. It works fine.

cywelchjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cywelchjr
Reformatter wrote:

Exactly, a lot of people don't understand though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you get what you pay for. If you buy the cheap model it's not going to last. I never buy the entry level machine, and I have always had good luck. Of course, I have had better luck than average user of my model as well since I seem to care for it better.

I did my research on the technology and got a desktop replacement laptop. Many many of those class of machines tend to having overheat problems (those using the desktop P4 chips at least) and yet I never had a problem, probably because I was aware of the importance of not blocking airflow and keeping the cooling system clean and relatively dust free.

• 11/17/2006 Ridiculously Large Universal Remote Control
  • 11/17/2006 Kensington PocketMouse Wireless USB Mouse
  • 11/16/2006 RCA Lyra 1GB MP3 Player and Thumb drive
  • 10/12/2006 Adaptec AVC-1400 GameBridge USB 2.0 Adapter
  • 10/13/2006 Ridiculous Heated Auto Windshield Washer Accessory

ultraklystron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ultraklystron

Just to make the wooters who bought this a little more comfortable with their purchasing decision, I priced out a very similar system on newegg, and it came out at about 750 including shipping and the operating system (same version of media center,) so really, it's a pretty good deal, especially since you can just take it out of the box and fire it up (more or less.)

MarthaB1960

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MarthaB1960
blobzorz wrote:Ebay for 685

Ebay link

Idietired

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Idietired
JPhilipson wrote:Don't expect any wireless netgear cards to work with Media Center. Drivers are not supported yet.

Compliments of Netgear

If you're using Netgear, you're asking for it anyway.

mbeckfl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbeckfl

What a brick! So then you have half the system for more than half the money (not even enough to run Vista), great, what's your point. Half the memory, much less HD, much less processor, no CD burning, oh and yeah, it comes with Vista Basic, so you'll be crippled and there are no drivers yet for much hardware out there (Dell & HP are still working on their printer drivers for example)

1rudeboy wrote:

Go to Dell small business and customize an E521. Choose no monitor and you will get the following for $399 shipped:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ Processor
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics, 16X DVD ROM Drive
1 Year On-site Economy Plan

mainal50

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mainal50
panteedropper wrote:you might be able to build a superior pc for cheaper in terms of hardware....but it wont have a legit operating system or software on it.

But, But, you got to remember: The cheeper the better!!!!!!!!

Super Mel Jr. 2000
Finally got my Bag of C rap....
What happened to 250 of my posts?
Probations 10,monkeys 0 , Bags of C rap 1
Screwed by servers to get Bags of C rap 11

fszabo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fszabo
cywelchjr wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind is that you get what you pay for. If you buy the cheap model it's not going to last. I never buy the entry level machine, and I have always had good luck. Of course, I have had better luck than average user of my model as well since I seem to care for it better.

I did my research on the technology and got a desktop replacement laptop. Many many of those class of machines tend to having overheat problems (those using the desktop P4 chips at least) and yet I never had a problem, probably because I was aware of the importance of not blocking airflow and keeping the cooling system clean and relatively dust free.

P4s always have overheat problems. Intel has to clock them fast to get any amount of performance from them.

mainal50

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mainal50

If it only was refurbished......

Super Mel Jr. 2000
Finally got my Bag of C rap....
What happened to 250 of my posts?
Probations 10,monkeys 0 , Bags of C rap 1
Screwed by servers to get Bags of C rap 11

fbreitberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fbreitberg

Im new to woot, and this was my first purchase. How long does it normally take to start shipping a product? Just curious.

Mercedez1975

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mercedez1975

I would have expected it to ship by now. But still nothing.... :-(

Stosh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stosh
Mercedez1975 wrote:I would have expected it to ship by now. But still nothing.... :-(

Yeah for real, we're almost going on a week now.

Mercedez1975

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mercedez1975
Stosh wrote:

Yeah for real, we're almost going on a week now.

Finally!!! Got my tracking number just now.... actually got 2 tracking numbers...

russela

quality posts: 4 Private Messages russela

Mine should arrive today. Perfect. I have the day off and my wife is working. Just gotta dispose of the shipping box and hope the HP will blend in with all the other PC stuff.

Stosh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stosh
Mercedez1975 wrote:

Finally!!! Got my tracking number just now.... actually got 2 tracking numbers...

Yeah me too, are they shipping the keyboard and stuff separate?

YOBRATS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages YOBRATS

I got 2 tracking numbers too, but they're both the exact same weight. ...Maybe it's 2-for-...saturdays?!

Edit:After further inspection, it looks like one of them isn't moving. I still want 2 computers though (not that my morals would let me keep a mistake...)

Zamiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zamiel

Am I the only one that thought this unit would have a TV composite/svideo out?

flyersgl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyersgl

Am I being really stupid, or is there no way to connect my LCD monitor? Please tell me I am stupid.

fbreitberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fbreitberg

Mine came a couple days ago, but I havent gotten around to opening it yet. Still trying to get all my pictures and music to a safe place. Is there an easy way to transfer from pc to pc without having to go through any outside source? Maybe using an easy transfer cable or something.

YOBRATS

Zamiel wrote:Am I the only one that thought this unit would have a TV composite/svideo out?

It says "Video (VGA, composite, S-Video)" as rear ports--I didn't open mine yet (just came today). Does it not have video out?!

flyersgl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyersgl
flyersgl wrote:Am I being really stupid, or is there no way to connect my LCD monitor? Please tell me I am stupid.

Ok, I vote for stupid. I just remembered that when I bought my monitor a few years ago, it came with both a vga connector and a dvi connector. Now I just need to figure out where I put the vga cord.

YOBRATS

I'm bummed--there are 2 video inputs, but no outputs. ...A brand new computer, and I've already have to upgrade. 2 emails to woot later and they don't want to help.

russela

quality posts: 4 Private Messages russela
YOBRATS wrote:I'm bummed--there are 2 video inputs, but no outputs. ...A brand new computer, and I've already have to upgrade. 2 emails to woot later and they don't want to help.

That hacked me off, too. I guess a lttle more research would have revealed that. Fortunately I had a spare video card with TV out.

niceguyjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages niceguyjim
russela wrote:Mine should arrive today. Perfect. I have the day off and my wife is working. Just gotta dispose of the shipping box and hope the HP will blend in with all the other PC stuff.

I was the same way... and my wife doesn't suspect a thing...

...it's just a shame that my PC was DOA. Wouldn't boot, wouldn't even post. And after 85 minutes on the phone with HP's "stellar" off-shore customer service, they are sending a box for the repair... how am I supposed to hide that?