pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
gwp wrote:

We have water meters, so what we use is charged for. (And the sewer bill is based on the water usage as well, which is totally not fair if a lot of it is going into a garden, on the lawn or in a pool...)

Our water and sewer is set up the same way. So far we haven't heard anything about water shortages, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't start getting some rain.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
pooflady wrote:

Our water and sewer is set up the same way. So far we haven't heard anything about water shortages, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't start getting some rain.

I just checked the online forecast, and they claim we've got a 60% chance of maybe getting a little light rain, in some isolated places, briefly, overnight. There's no other rain on the extended forecast. We're actually not in a drought yet, as we had so much rain early in the season.

The grass seems to be having a hard time burrowing its roots 4 or 5 feet down to reach the water table. I think it's just a lack of motivation.

pooflady

gwp wrote:

I just checked the online forecast, and they claim we've got a 60% chance of maybe getting a little light rain, in some isolated places, briefly, overnight. There's no other rain on the extended forecast. We're actually not in a drought yet, as we had so much rain early in the season.

The grass seems to be having a hard time burrowing its roots 4 or 5 feet down to reach the water table. I think it's just a lack of motivation.

Well, get out there and give it a good talking to.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

gwp wrote:

We have water meters, so what we use is charged for. (And the sewer bill is based on the water usage as well, which is totally not fair if a lot of it is going into a garden, on the lawn or in a pool...)

Come on, you can't even give squash away when it is in season. Even one plant will give you enough for a few dozen families!
We have a meter, but can they see you water the garden? What about a half hour a day or every other day? That should keep it going.

I totally weeded the little garden. Even the tinny tiny little weeds. Then I used the spray feeder and...billions of tiny weeds! Like ground cover!

Well, at least the blackberries are ripe. I can go out twice a day and pick them and eat them (I never even bring them into the house, always eat them as I pick).
Snacking while I glare at the weeds.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
dontwantaname wrote:

Come on, you can't even give squash away when it is in season. Even one plant will give you enough for a few dozen families!
We have a meter, but can they see you water the garden? What about a half hour a day or every other day? That should keep it going.

I totally weeded the little garden. Even the tinny tiny little weeds. Then I used the spray feeder and...billions of tiny weeds! Like ground cover!

Well, at least the blackberries are ripe. I can go out twice a day and pick them and eat them (I never even bring them into the house, always eat them as I pick).

Weeds. Yuck.
I weeded my rosebed last week and now it needs it again. When we lived in our little first house when we were first married we didn't have all these weeds. Living here in the woods, it's a nonstop battle.
Plus, I need to mulch my borders, but I can't lift the bags of mulch any more.....I asked our manager to have some young kid come over to heave the mulch around for me, but so far no joy. Maybe I should not ASK any more?

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:

It sounds like you have water restrictions and I don't think gwp and I do.

pooflady

acemom wrote:
Weeds. Yuck.
I weeded my rosebed last week and now it needs it again. When we lived in our little first house when we were first married we didn't have all these weeds. Living here in the woods, it's a nonstop battle.
Plus, I need to mulch my borders, but I can't lift the bags of mulch any more.....I asked our manager to have some young kid come over to heave the mulch around for me, but so far no joy. Maybe I should not ASK any more?

Sounds like someone's forgotten who signs the paychecks.

Edit: Or maybe just forgot. Perhaps another request.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:

It sounds like you have water restrictions and I don't think gwp and I do.

Yeah, it is suppose to be all the time. Odd/Even dates, which means the odd guys get an extra day most months. Plus time restrictions. 8am to 6pm you can't use the outside water at all.
They only really give tickets when there is a drought.
Still, nobody waters the lawn visible (the front of the house) in the daytime.
But now lots of people got sprinkler systems that go on with a timer and the water use goes way up at weird times, like 5am when they kick on.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:

Yeah, it is suppose to be all the time. Odd/Even dates, which means the odd guys get an extra day most months. Plus time restrictions. 8am to 6pm you can't use the outside water at all.
They only really give tickets when there is a drought.
Still, nobody waters the lawn visible (the front of the house) in the daytime.
But now lots of people got sprinkler systems that go on with a timer and the water use goes way up at weird times, like 5am when they kick on.

It's been many years since we've had water restrictions because of a drought. Lots of people have sprinklers running all the time right now to try to keep a green lawn. Doesn't work.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:It's been many years since we've had water restrictions because of a drought. Lots of people have sprinklers running all the time right now to try to keep a green lawn. Doesn't work.

I thought gardens were except from water restrictions?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

daj59 wrote:I thought gardens were except from water restrictions?

Not when they want to make sure there's enough drinking water.

thelutes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelutes

Well I have managed to grow tomatoes in Las Vegas despite the 105+ temp and scorching sun.....WOOHOOO

Then my Husband and I made some salsa with them since we don't really like tomatoes...

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

thelutes wrote:Well I have managed to grow tomatoes in Las Vegas despite the 105+ temp and scorching sun.....WOOHOOO

Then my Husband and I made some salsa with them since we don't really like tomatoes...

Did it taste as good as it looks?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

thelutes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelutes
dontwantaname wrote:

Did it taste as good as it looks?

It was our first attempt at salsa and we were quite impressed. Although next time instead of spending close to an hour chopping we'll break out the food processor!

pooflady

thelutes wrote:

Congratulations! That looks great.

kalyha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha
thelutes wrote:Tomato pics

They look great! I can't wait until ours ripen. They are still green, but hubby says we should have a bumper crop. (ok, maybe not bumper--we only have 3 plants)
This is our first shot at tomatoes.

This is our little garden 2 weeks ago--it has grown a lot since then!

pooflady

Woo-hoo!!! Husband picked the first two ripe tomatoes today. As per tradition, we ate them over the sink with the tomato in one hand and the salt shaker in the other. Scrumptious!!!!

peglegwookie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peglegwookie

I am so sick of fresh spinach now. My wife planted it all at the same time and it all was ready at the same time so we have eaten it for two weeks. UGH!

pooflady

peglegwookie wrote:I am so sick of fresh spinach now. My wife planted it all at the same time and it all was ready at the same time so we have eaten it for two weeks. UGH!

Next year, make sure she spaces it out.

peglegwookie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peglegwookie
pooflady wrote:

Next year, make sure she spaces it out.

she realized that after we had been eating it for a week

kalyha

pooflady wrote:Woo-hoo!!! Husband picked the first two ripe tomatoes today. As per tradition, we ate them over the sink with the tomato in one hand and the salt shaker in the other. Scrumptious!!!!

our tomatoes are still green. Can't wait!
This is first year we've done `maters

kalyha

peglegwookie wrote:I am so sick of fresh spinach now. My wife planted it all at the same time and it all was ready at the same time so we have eaten it for two weeks. UGH!

I've got a great spinach and goat cheese risotto recipe if ya want something different.

Original Moosewood cookbook has a great pasta sauce made with spinach, you could probably freeze. (I can find & scan if you are dying for it)

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

How about spinach brownies?

Still single, can't imagine why.

acemom

kalyha wrote:

I've got a great spinach and goat cheese risotto recipe if ya want something different.

Original Moosewood cookbook has a great pasta sauce made with spinach, you could probably freeze. (I can find & scan if you are dying for it)

i think you should post the risotto recipe, it sounds great and I bet there are a lot of us who would like to have it1

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kalyha wrote:

Post them, especially if they are easy.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

kalyha

acemom wrote:
i think you should post the risotto recipe, it sounds great and I bet there are a lot of us who would like to have it1

I think this is pretty close. I tend to make up as I go along, so I wrote over my shrimp & asparagus risotto recipe to give a best guess. Both are original recipes.

Spinach & Goat Cheese Risotto. (Yum)

4 cups Chicken Stock
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 small Onion finely chopped (about ½ of a cup)
2 Shallots finely chopped (about 1/3 of a cup)
5 cloves Garlic, finely chopped-divided (about ¼ of a cup)
Coarse Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
1 cup Arborio Rice
½ cup dry white wine, such as a Pinot Gris (Grigio)
8-12 oz Fresh Spinach (a large bunch or 2, about as much as a bag)
½ cup crumbled goat cheese
More Goat Cheese Crumbles for serving

1. In a medium saucepan, bring broth just barely to a simmer; then keep warm over low heat.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium/medium low heat. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion has softened and is starting to become translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add Shallots & ½ the garlic. Sauté until soft.
4. Add rice; cook, stirring until well coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add Wine; cook, stirring until absorbed, about 1 minute.
5. Add about 1 ½ cups broth to rice; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes. Continue adding broth, about 1 cup at a time, waiting for one cup to be absorbed before adding the next, stirring occasionally, until rice is creamy and just tender, about 25 minutes total (you may not have to use all the liquid).
6. Lower the heat. Add Spinach, stir cook about a minute until Spinach starts to turn bright green. Add Goat Cheese, season with salt and pepper and stir some more. Serve immediately (risotto will thicken as it cools) with crumbled goat cheese.

This doesn't help with the spinach, but is also very good:

Shrimp & Asparagus Risotto

4 cups Chicken Stock
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 small Onion finely chopped (about ½ of a cup)
2 Shallots finely chopped (about 1/3 of a cup)
5 cloves Garlic, finely chopped-divided (about ¼ of a cup)
Coarse Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
1 cup Arborio Rice
½ cup dry white wine, such as a Pinot Gris (Grigio)
½ lb. Asparagus, chopped— ½ the tips reserved
¾ lb. Small (50-60’s) Shrimp
½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
Thin slice of Lemon & fresh grated Parmesan Cheese for Serving

1. In a medium saucepan, bring broth just barely to a simmer; then keep warm over low heat.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium/medium low heat. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion has softened and is starting to become translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add Shallots & ½ the garlic. Sauté until soft.
4. Add rice; cook, stirring until well coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add Wine; cook, stirring until absorbed, about 1 minute.
5. Add about 1 ½ cups broth to rice; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes. Continue adding broth, about 1 cup at a time, waiting for one cup to be absorbed before adding the next, stirring occasionally, until rice is creamy and just tender, about 25 minutes total (you may not have to use all the liquid).
6. Lower the heat. Season Shrimp with salt & pepper, then add to rice. Add a little more broth if needed, stir cook about a minute until shrimp begin to turn pink. Add Lemon Juice and Asparagus, stir cook about a minute until Asparagus starts to turn bright green. Add Parmesan, season with salt and pepper and stir some more. When cheese is incorporated, add Asparagus Tips to top of rice. Put lid on and steam for a minute or two to barely cook the tips. . Serve immediately (risotto will thicken as it cools) with thin slice of lemon & fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

Note: This should be very pretty with pink shrimp & bright green asparagus and the thin slice of bright yellow lemon in the center.

kalyha

dontwantaname wrote:

Post them, especially if they are easy.

I will try to get the cookbook up to the scanner later in the week for the other recipe.
Taking step-son to college orientation in DC tomorrow.

acemom

Yum ....the risotto sounds great!
Thanks for posting the recipe!

kalyha

acemom wrote:Yum ....the risotto sounds great!
Thanks for posting the recipe!

Chicken Stock can be replaced with Veggie Stock if needed, just make sure it is homemade or good quality, low salt (no bullion)
(Isn't your daughter a vegetarian?)

Both risottos are quite good, Enjoy!

uiopreturns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uiopreturns

Gardens don't grow well without Zilla!

daj59 wrote:

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
thelutes wrote:Well I have managed to grow tomatoes in Las Vegas despite the 105+ temp and scorching sun.....WOOHOOO

YUM!!!

qwertyuiop002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwertyuiop002
darthv8r wrote:YUM!!!

http://www.yum.com/

pooflady

pooflady

I think this is an Easter Egg eggplant.

terrybatey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages terrybatey
pooflady wrote:I think this is an Easter Egg eggplant.

Sure looks like eggs to me. Organic eggs fresh from Ohio.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

terrybatey wrote:Sure looks like eggs to me. Organic eggs fresh from Ohio.

White eggplant?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

tennbeekeeper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tennbeekeeper

We had a freeze this Spring and lost all but one peach from our peach tree. Here it was... the next day something or someone stole it!

Poor peach, it was not perfect, but I was hoping to see what it looked like inside.

pooflady

tennbeekeeper wrote:We had a freeze this Spring and lost all but one peach from our peach tree. Here it was... the next day something or someone stole it!

Poor peach, it was not perfect, but I was hoping to see what it looked like inside.

Whoever took that peach should be shot!!! Drawn and quartered!!! Tarred and feathered!!!

tennbeekeeper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tennbeekeeper
pooflady wrote:Whoever took that peach should be shot!!! Drawn and quartered!!! Tarred and feathered!!!

We tend to agree with that stmt.

pooflady

A lot of our tomatoes are rotting out on the bottom.