msawyer13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages msawyer13
 pixelvisions wrote:

Josephus wrote:

I have no time for a picture, so here is a thousand words instead.

Picture the base of the blendor. sand pitted, partially buried.

below is this poem:

I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: One vast and trunkless base of stone
Stands in the desert. Near him, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered blendor lies, quite down,
And cracked lip, and glass of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandius, king of kings:
Spin through my woots, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley -- If you are going to waste our time with a poem, at least make it original.

BUSTED, you hack....

____

wonderstew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderstew
 dnj51dnj51 wrote:

Just an FYI - In my humble opinion....

The ski trail - God's monument
The housing development - The Builder's monument
The Harry Potter Books - ANY thing by J.K. Rowling is a monument

Don't be a spoil-sport

You misunderstood. The emboldened portion of the definition I posted was meant to contradict the previously posted "Public Service Announcement" by broadening the understanding of the word "monument" exactly as you describe.

ie.

mnementh wrote:
public service announcement

Shaving.

mnementh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnementh
 dnj51dnj51 wrote:

The examples given in the first post clearly imply
1. A structure, such as a building or sculpture, erected as a memorial.
not definition 3. The first definition precedes the third one for a reason- if you tell someone to take a picture of a monument, he's generally not going to interpret that directive to include a Harry Potter book.

Playing with the definition out of creativity is one thing, playing with it out of lack of creativity is another.

bam wokka chicka wokka chicka wokka chicka wokka chicka
Master Ninja Theme Song

wonderstew

mnementh wrote:

The examples given in the first post clearly imply
1. A structure, such as a building or sculpture, erected as a memorial.
not definition 3. The first definition precedes the third one for a reason- if you tell someone to take a picture of a monument, he's generally not going to interpret that directive to include a Harry Potter book.

Playing with the definition out of creativity is one thing, playing with it out of lack of creativity is another.

But conversely, how many rock blenders towering over an arid western US landscape... or sculpted marble blenders keeping a watchful eye over some famed world city's port-of-call do you want to see? You can only stack a blender on a pedestal, mess with the saturation, add some noise and texture and throw it into a noted public place so many times before all the entries start looking the same.

(Don't get me wrong, I loved your "Devil's Blender...)

But I think this contest begs for some creative deviation from the "first post"

I'm seeing no lack of creativity exhibited. I'm just seeing some seriously solid work. This contest has been the highlight of my weekend.

Sad... but true :)

Shaving.

wonderstew

Double-post... I'm retarded... sorry.

Shaving.

mnementh

wonderstew wrote:
But conversely, how many rock blenders towering over an arid western US landscape... or sculpted marble blenders keeping a watchful eye over some famed world city's port-of-call do you want to see? You can only stack a blender on a pedestal, mess with the saturation, add some noise and texture and throw it into a noted public place so many times before all the entries start looking the same.

That's why creativity is a challenge. And why this contest has plenty of clever examples.

So where do you draw the line between creative deviation and being off-theme?

I'm retarded... sorry.

That reminds me to stop arguing on the internet. :P

Master Ninja Theme Song

mbarchok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbarchok
 dnj51dnj51 wrote:

The ski trail - God's monument
The housing development - The Builder's monument
The Harry Potter Books - ANY thing by J.K. Rowling is a monument

Don't be a spoil-sport

Yes, I can comprehend these as monuments... except for the harry potter. I can understand the stanley cup, too. In fact, I happen to think the housing development one is excellent and very original.
But I can't understand the holograph or the animals in the blender, among other things.
I can understand those who stretch the theme, but not those who ignore it. These bother me more than the Hasselhoff picture. Which, by the way, is far better done and more on theme than some of the entries here.

majik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages majik
 wonderstew wrote:

(Don't get me wrong, I loved your "Devil's Blender...)

I'm seeing no lack of creativity exhibited. I'm just seeing some seriously solid work. This contest has been the highlight of my weekend.

Sad... but true :)

I think a certain level of deviation is necessary, but if you look back at past contests, you'll see several spectacular entries that got looked over in the judging because they weren't on-theme enough.

I think the point of the contest is to be as creative as possible, while staying as close to the theme as possible.

mnementh

mbarchok wrote:
These bother me more than the Hasselhoff picture. Which, by the way, is far better done and more on theme than some of the entries here.

It's a monument to being off-theme!

Master Ninja Theme Song

DCzski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DCzski
 mnementh wrote:

It's a monument to being off-theme!

Absolute truth.

You have to stray off theme at times, just because the idea that popped in your noggin needs release or you would have some Scanners-like explosion over your keyboard. I was all over the place this contest to the point of being emetic, but it was either play photochop or deal with The Wife (TM). No contest there.

VideoFreek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VideoFreek
 TheOzmaster wrote:

I thought the idea and originality of this one was first class. A Very creative way of interpretting a monument. Also shows that a good entry doesnt neccesserily require amazing photoshoping skills, even though it helps most of the time.

otteriffic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otteriffic
 mbarchok wrote:
But I can't understand the holograph...

I was hoping the text I added to my entry would have helped to associate it with the context I took it from.

The original image is a still from Star Wars: Episode 2.

It is originally the holographic plans of the death star which I photoshopped out to include the holographic plans for the blender.

Silly, yes, but to many people the death star is more recognizable than a multitude of national or international monuments, statuaries, etc.

I chose this because this is representative of where I come from. I am a Star Wars fan, I am a Sci-Fi fan. I would rather look over schematics of the starship Enterprise than tour many a national monument. Yes they all have history, so does the context from which I pulled my inspiration.

I think creativity and trying to stay on theme aren't balanced too well... one detracts from the other. Creativity is thinking outside the box, and while creativity can be kept on track, not everyone is along for the ride when it comes to understanding the inspiration leading to what eventually becomes a photographic visual of the concept or idea. Creativity is a stretch of what you would understand as normal and all the photoshop skill in the world wouldn't necessarily bring forth any help to clarify things unless the viewer is willing to allow themselves to follow the artists line of thinking. It is all about cognitive exploration of the subject matter at hand.

pixelvisions

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pixelvisions
 otteriffic wrote:

I was hoping the text I added to my entry would have helped to associate it with the context I took it from.

The original image is a still from Star Wars: Episode 2.

It is originally the holographic plans of the death star which I photoshopped out to include the holographic plans for the blender.

Silly, yes, but to many people the death star is more recognizable than a multitude of national or international monuments, statuaries, etc.

I chose this because this is representative of where I come from. I am a Star Wars fan, I am a Sci-Fi fan....

YOU FORGOT TO ADD THAT YOU ARE A TANGIBLE DREAMS FAN!

Contest 34 Otteriffic entry

Contest 33
Third prize - $20 (tie)
TangibleDreams
Holo Dell

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

otteriffic

pixelvisions wrote:

YOU FORGOT TO ADD THAT YOU ARE A TANGIBLE DREAMS FAN!

doh... didn't see that one... first time entering and I hadn't cruised the boards before...

BAH!

oh well next time gadget... net time!!!

msawyer13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages msawyer13
 otteriffic wrote:

doh... didn't see that one... first time entering and I hadn't cruised the boards before...

BAH!

oh well next time gadget... net time!!!

Your first contest and you didn't check to see what won the previous week? Yeah right, I believe you....for real I do.

___

Alien Research Group

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alien Research Group
 MissDemeanor wrote:
San Francisco Westinghouse Intelliblend Bridge. They finally found a way to fund it.

This is great. Nice whirrrrrrrrk!

Alien Research Group

MissDemeanor wrote:
Point Westinghouse Intelliblend Lighthouse saves lives.

Also very nice!

Alien Research Group

goodfeets wrote:

Excellent!

Alien Research Group

mechimatic wrote:

credit for moustache idea to urbsnspices on earlier post

This rocks!

otteriffic

msawyer13 wrote:

Your first contest and you didn't check to see what won the previous week? Yeah right, I believe you....for real I do.

___

believe me or not it is the truth...

I saw the blender and saw the contest I check woot about every other day but never really paid any attention to the boards and every time I saw a new contest it was the announcement of the winners so I didn't bother to go look. This time I caught the announcement in time and headed in... simple as that. Why would I check to see what won the previous week? The contest I was entering was this weeks not last weeks...

mnementh

mechimatic wrote:
here's the Rio statue (again?!?)... this time with a slight 'twist'

Bah, no love for mechimatic's entry. Then again, Jesus spinning in a blender might upset some people if it showed up in the Woot blog.

Master Ninja Theme Song

MissDemeanor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MissDemeanor

Alien Research Group:
Thank you for the kind words about a few of my entries. The praise helps. So many wonderful entries by many.

Alien Research Group

MissDemeanor wrote:
Alien Research Group:
Thank you for the kind words about a few of my entries. The praise helps. So many wonderful entries by many.

Your very welcome.
What can I say else? My words are just truth.
My submissions never garner nary a nod.
They hate me.
I'd likely kill myself if it wasn't for a future BOC.
They have nearly taken everything.
Maybe they should have a contest wherein we lampoon them!
Yeah! That's the ticket!!
Although, then they would likely send me an actual BOC brimming with fecal matter.
They really hate me!
I say, go ahead, you bastages!
Take away even my last reason for living!

Perhaps I will then hang myself.
Love you all, Alien Research Group

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
 pixelvisions wrote:

Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley -- If you are going to waste our time with a poem, at least make it original.

Gee, I am glad you were able to find a reference to one of the greatest romantic poems of all time. Excluding, in my opinion, most of Byron, which transcends the romantic period. It strikes me that the sampling of a poem, much the way that a photoshopped image is redone, is EXACTLY in the spirit of what this contest is all about.

In all seriousness, I thought about referencing Shelley, but truly didn't consider that anyone might ever consciously hold the opinion that I had done it myself. or that I might be plagiarizing it. just think of it as a satiric use of the words.

Josephus

msawyer13 wrote:

BUSTED, you hack....

____

`Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Josephus

Josephus wrote:

`Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

oh, yeah, for your information, this was from

EDGAR ALLEN POE

in case any of y'all might have thought I had such poetry within my tortured soul.

mnementh

Josephus wrote:
In all seriousness, I thought about referencing Shelley, but truly didn't consider that anyone might ever consciously hold the opinion that I had done it myself. or that I might be plagiarizing it. just think of it as a satiric use of the words.

I wish I had a copy handy but the book Culture Made Stupid has a drawing of a decrepit monument in the desert with a name tag that says, "Hello. My name is Ozymandias."

Master Ninja Theme Song

Snookered

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snookered
 nebosuke wrote:

Bite my shiny metal IntelliAss!

Maybe not a monument, but my favorite. And very appropriate, too.

Alien Research Group

Snookered wrote:

Maybe not a monument, but my favorite. And very appropriate, too.

I really liked nebosuke(san)'s entry as well. But(t) Bender's wind-up key is... off.

mmacmu1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmacmu1
 Shodan- wrote:

<P>

Behold the new symbol of freedom!!!! Blending Middle Eastern's Right's since 9/11!

WOOT!

Not cool man.