kd4rgb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kd4rgb
mauricerichard wrote:
I'm in DC and I cant seem to get a WWVB signal long enough to synch this thing. I was up at 4 this morning and I had no better luck then.

I'm in the DC suburbs and I had a hard time picking up the signal. I left it on the windowsill one night, out on the balcony the next, hanging from my rear view mirror in my car the next. then It finally set while deep in my briefcase the next night. So, I assume, the signal is dependant on atmospheric conditions.

kd4rgb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kd4rgb
alathar wrote:I only checked pages 9 and 10 and didn't see it, but does anyone know if there's any sort of "silent mode" where pushing the buttons doesn't make the watch beep? Even a full on "silent all" would be fine...I'd like to be able to check my watch in the dark without making a noise (at a concert or watching a movie).

Did anyone figure out the "stealth mode" on this watch? To silence the button-push beeps?

I hate drawing attention to my ridiculiously large watch on my ridiculiously skinny wrist by these annoying beeps every time I push a button.

twistmeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twistmeyer

So, mine arrived on time and everything, but I can't seem to figure out how to turn it on. The manual didn't seem helpful about that, or even how to change the battery.

Was it supposed to arrive running and I got one with a dead battery, or is there something obvious I'm missing?

MixMastaMetal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MixMastaMetal
kd4rgb wrote:

Did anyone figure out the "stealth mode" on this watch? To silence the button-push beeps?

I hate drawing attention to my ridiculiously large watch on my ridiculiously skinny wrist by these annoying beeps every time I push a button.

I third or second that. Anyone have any info on this?

DebCyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DebCyr

I got the watch and it was not working. It sucked.

Debbie Cyr

murdam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages murdam

It's getting closer! This watch will well traveled by the time I recieve it. According to FedEx it all started in Houston then to Dallas where it took a trip to Las Angeles for a short visit, then returned to Dallas. From there it ventured north to Wisconsin, and I guess it was to cold so it went to Georgia, talked to a few lost packages and then went to Ohio after Ohio it wanted to see Elvis's home so it went to Memphis after eating supper on Beale Street it loaded up and went to Missouri. Finally yesterday it made it to Arkansas. Delivery date is suppose to be on the 30th of April. didn't we buy this watch on the 12th??? One thing, it may have got itself adjusted to all the time zones so when I get it everything should be great!

evilg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evilg

Still haven't received my watch? What the hell is going on? Just keep it now and refund me my money.....this has to be my slowest Woot yet...and I have been Wooting for ever....ya bastards.

framerate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages framerate

Yeah it took freaking forever to get here. And I had the trouble with my tracking number.

Word of advice? I broke two screwdrivers trying to change the length of the band.. took me an hour + and I only had 2 out. Do yourself a favor and take it in to get it adjusted. Took the guy all of 30 seconds (and no broken tools!)

If anyone can figure out silent mode, please let me know. Beeping when I turn on the light in a crowded movietheatre or meeting just isn't going to cut it..

johnrec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnrec

What a piece of junk ... it must weigh at least a pound. It comes with a band that is so big that it would fit your bicep. I took it to a jeweler to take some links out so I could wear it. He could not find any way to take any links out, so now I have a piece of ugly junk that cannot even be worn. That will be my last purchase from WOOT.

johnrec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnrec

What a piece of junk ... it must weigh at least a pound. It comes with a band that is so big that it would fit your bicep. I took it to a jeweler to take some links out so I could wear it. He could not find any way to take any links out, so now I have a piece of ugly junk that cannot even be worn. That will be my last purchase from WOOT.

tüxedo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tüxedo

My tracking info says my watch was delivered in fort wayne, IN.

I'm in Hot Springs, AR. Where's the feet? woot?

shirizaki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shirizaki

Reeeee!

April 27, 2007 4:00 AM Sortation Center Departure GROVE CITY, OH
April 25, 2007 10:05 AM Sortation Center Arrival GROVE CITY, OH
April 25, 2007 12:04 AM Sortation Center Departure NEW BERLIN, WI
April 20, 2007 1:31 PM Mis-Shipped FOX LAKE, IL *
April 20, 2007 1:09 PM Shipment Accepted; Destination Delivery Unit FOX LAKE, IL *
April 17, 2007 10:40 PM Sortation Center Arrival NEW BERLIN, WI
April 17, 2007 4:33 AM Sortation Center Departure DALLAS, TX
April 16, 2007 8:59 PM Sortation Center Arrival DALLAS, TX
April 16, 2007 12:00 AM Pickup HOUSTON, TX

Misshipped? In Illinois? Because the letters "IL" and "OH" are exactly the same :p. Then it magically goes from the delivery truck in Illinois back to Wisconsin to be trucked to Ohio.

Hey everyone my watch does magic!

thagness

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thagness

Very disappointing woot experience! I tracked this watch all the way to Salt Lake City and when FedEx "SmartPost" dropped it off with USPS, they lost it. I try to get some help, woot sends me the same tracking information I had. I write again since it's been sitting an hour and a half from my home for a week. Woot says "It looks like this is lost. I don't have any here to send you. I can refund this. Please advise." Advise what?! Why doesn't woot hold some products so that when they get lost, they have a replacement for the customer? How many times do I have my order lost and wait for a refund before I don't order anymore (this is my second). No apology or anything - Just "Order has been refunded. It may take a few days for it to post to your card."
I will not order anything from woot that could possibly be sent by FedEx SmartPost! Taking care of customers by woot like this is going to lose customers.

My friends call me Thagomizer...Thanks Shan!

thagness

shirizaki wrote:Reeeee!

April 27, 2007 4:00 AM Sortation Center Departure GROVE CITY, OH
April 25, 2007 10:05 AM Sortation Center Arrival GROVE CITY, OH
April 25, 2007 12:04 AM Sortation Center Departure NEW BERLIN, WI
April 20, 2007 1:31 PM Mis-Shipped FOX LAKE, IL *
April 20, 2007 1:09 PM Shipment Accepted; Destination Delivery Unit FOX LAKE, IL *
April 17, 2007 10:40 PM Sortation Center Arrival NEW BERLIN, WI
April 17, 2007 4:33 AM Sortation Center Departure DALLAS, TX
April 16, 2007 8:59 PM Sortation Center Arrival DALLAS, TX
April 16, 2007 12:00 AM Pickup HOUSTON, TX

Misshipped? In Illinois? Because the letters "IL" and "OH" are exactly the same :p. Then it magically goes from the delivery truck in Illinois back to Wisconsin to be trucked to Ohio.

Hey everyone my watch does magic!

For its next trick, I bet it disappears before arriving. My watch did the same thing. I watched it sitting in Salt Lake City for a week - and then (well my other post tells the story). Abracadabra!

evilg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evilg

Come on wOOt!!!!! I still haven't received this. I could have drove down there and picked it up on my own by now.

shirizaki

The way it looks it just arrived at my post office today at around noon. I should get it tomorrow.

12 days. Eh, must have used that pony express option huh?

Warthogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Warthogs
johnrec wrote:What a piece of junk ... it must weigh at least a pound. It comes with a band that is so big that it would fit your bicep. I took it to a jeweler to take some links out so I could wear it. He could not find any way to take any links out, so now I have a piece of ugly junk that cannot even be worn. That will be my last purchase from WOOT.

Ooooh, such negative vibes, dude.

Your "jeweler" musta missed a module at Jeweler school or something.

Anyway, look on the inside (i.e. "skin") side of the watchband. Some links have arrows. That's the direction the connecting pins have to be driven out.

And where are these "pins"? Look along the edge of the band, and you'll see little circular holes - and the pin ends.

Drive out any two adjacent pins, and voila'!, zee leenck, she is remoo ved!

Save the parts, or dispose of one link and one pin, and reassemble the band with the remaining pin.

For smaller adjustments, move the spring pin(s) on the clasp to fit.

A paperclip (use a section as the "driver"), needle nosed pliers (to hold the "driver"), and a small hammer (to well, drive the "driver") seemed to work well for me.

Your mileage may vary.

Atragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Atragon

Well Woot Wizards,

My watch, according to the tracking numbers you got to work for me, thanks by the way, seems to have gotten to Jonesboro, after zooming to Missouri by mistake. It has apparently been accepted IN Jonesboro somewhere on the 23rd. And was supposed to be at the hacienda by the 25th. It is now the 27th and no watch. The tracking info just stops at the 23rd . . . any ideas, comments, answers, or help would be greatly appreciated.

thagness

Atragon wrote:Well Woot Wizards,

My watch, according to the tracking numbers you got to work for me, thanks by the way, seems to have gotten to Jonesboro, after zooming to Missouri by mistake. It has apparently been accepted IN Jonesboro somewhere on the 23rd. And was supposed to be at the hacienda by the 25th. It is now the 27th and no watch. The tracking info just stops at the 23rd . . . any ideas, comments, answers, or help would be greatly appreciated.

That's what happened to mine. It was received at the USPS in Salt Lake City and was never heard from again.

clhug

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clhug
johnrec wrote:What a piece of junk ... it must weigh at least a pound. It comes with a band that is so big that it would fit your bicep. I took it to a jeweler to take some links out so I could wear it. He could not find any way to take any links out, so now I have a piece of ugly junk that cannot even be worn. That will be my last purchase from WOOT.

Not much of a jewler then. The links on this watch work exactly the same way as my Casio watch I had before getting this one.

shirizaki

shirizaki wrote:The way it looks it just arrived at my post office today at around noon. I should get it tomorrow.

12 days. Eh, must have used that pony express option huh?

Got it. Pleased. Anyone complaining about the weight must wear feather watches. Real men wear heavy watches with big faces because WE'RE MEN!

I have it currently forcing to sync with the signal (even thought he instructions say it'll do it at 3AM something everyday) because the signal is strongest between 2 AM and 6 AM (lack of interference).

Removing pins and links takes patience. If a jeweler messes up, it's because they're either:

A. New
B. Trying to be quick because they don't charge for links and resizes because you're supposed to buy a watch from them.

Other than that, the only complaint I have is the watch band is glossy instead of matte. God I hate how it looks like I walk around with bling (guess with a soft abrasive I can fix this). Otherwise a great watch for $20!

And the shipping isn't Woot's fault. FedEx and their smartpost look to blame because it seems that they took our orders to the bottom rung and the late night B - crew. Don't punish Woot because Fed Ex sucks.

Atragon

shirizaki wrote:
And the shipping isn't Woot's fault. FedEx and their smartpost look to blame because it seems that they took our orders to the bottom rung and the late night B - crew. Don't punish Woot because Fed Ex sucks.

I just hope the B crew gets the lead out because I want that watch.

spyderfry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyderfry

Dude. I'm not a jewler, and I took 3 links out of the one that I (FINALLY) got becuase I didn't want to wear it around my ankle. It's not that hard. look at some prior posts. knock out the pins with a hammer and small pin/nail, and then pull it the rest of the way out with pliers. Easy.

spyderfry

jballigood wrote:Mine was synced already when it arrived, but mine is a bit cloudy, and there is no film to remove that I can tell from the front. Anyone else having this problem?

Mine suffers from this "cloudiness" in the crystal that you describe too. Not sure what it is (maybe discoloration, smudges under the crystal, moisture???) but it is noticable and a little annoying...

chamm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chamm

Got mine on the 27th, and I thought it was busted. It didn't seem to sync at 3:10am and 5:10 am like the package said it would. What's more, the band was much too large for my wrist, so I wasn't wearing it at first. However, I went and got links removed anyhow, and figured I could set it manually if I couldn't get its atomic powers working.

I don't know if there's any actual science behind this assertion, but the dang thing actually seems to pick up a clearer signal when it's mounted to my wrist. Don't know if I'm acting as a human antenna, but it seems to pick up a signal no problem now. Also, I read the NIST website on radio controlled timepieces, and it offered some really valuable information for those of you having trouble.

First, I live in central Ohio, which is 1314.74 miles from Fort Collins, CO. (The origin of the WWVB radio signal for all of North America.) I cannot get any signal whatsoever during daylight hours. If you live east of Ohio, chances are, it's the same for you. Don't even try to set it during the day. The sun somehow interferes with the radio signal. Second, follow the instructions to set it manually operate using the WWVB signal. When mine was set to auto-scan, it either picked up the signal from Japan, or misinterpreted the WWVB signal for the Japanese one, and my watch was quite a few hours off. Finally, the radio is very sensitive to interference. If you have this sitting within a few feet of a fluorescent lamp or an AC adapter, it probably won't get a signal. Apparently, the extremely low frequency that NIST uses for the WWVB signal is great at penetrating your house, but really lousy at dealing with interference. Add to that the fact that the low bandwidth can't carry a lot of data. It takes an entire minute for the radio to receive just one complete sync signal. That means if you get any interference or loss of signal during that cycle, the watch will need to wait until the next cycle starts and try again. It will only try this 15 times before giving up. (Apparently to save battery power.)

Now that my stuff is working, I'm pretty happy. I think this product would have done better with some better documentation.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
thagness wrote:Very disappointing woot experience! I tracked this watch all the way to Salt Lake City and when FedEx "SmartPost" dropped it off with USPS, they lost it. I try to get some help, woot sends me the same tracking information I had. I write again since it's been sitting an hour and a half from my home for a week. Woot says "It looks like this is lost. I don't have any here to send you. I can refund this. Please advise." Advise what?! Why doesn't woot hold some products so that when they get lost, they have a replacement for the customer? How many times do I have my order lost and wait for a refund before I don't order anymore (this is my second). No apology or anything - Just "Order has been refunded. It may take a few days for it to post to your card."
I will not order anything from woot that could possibly be sent by FedEx SmartPost! Taking care of customers by woot like this is going to lose customers.

Yeah, the please advise might be a bit goofy in this case, but it's generally preferred to make sure you want a refund before issuing it. As much as a bummer as this is for you, know that we appreciate the feedback. I believe the SmartPost shipping is a new method for us and knowing where it does, and doesn't, work is invaluable.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

jlou04

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlou04

My first Woot and quite possibly my last.

Three weeks later I finally got the watch after it apparently took the scenic route to Pennsylvania.

I also got the cloudy crystal version. Still useable, but a little irritating.

The good:
Got it resized at a Fossil store for free.
Synched overnight the first night no problems.

jadrien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadrien

When should I give up hope on getting mine? It checked out of the FedEx system on the 24th in Georgia, and is not yet in my mailbox. ;-(

ikinal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ikinal

I got two - both are running 7 minutes late.
Don't seem to get the sync signal, and the
stated way of adjusting the time doesn't seem
to have a minute mode that I could figure out....

zbeeblebrox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zbeeblebrox
ikinal wrote:I got two - both are running 7 minutes late.
Don't seem to get the sync signal

Well, as Adam on Mythbusters would say... "There's your problem!"

I've noticed my watch behaves differently from what the manual states. Mine always syncs up at both 310AM and 510AM. The manual states that it will only sync at 510AM if the 310AM sync failed. But, it succeeds at 310AM, always (don't ask me how I know this, let's just say that I am a morning person...). The 510AM sync sometimes succeeds, since it is closer to sunrise.

It's a really tiny thing... and I'm not opposed to my watch trying to be more accurate for me... but does anyone else notice this?

Atragon

Hey Gatzby, or whatever other Woot Wizard is reading this.
It's the 4th of May and my watch has supposedly been in town
and was supposed to be delivered on the 25th of April.

Is there anything you can do from your end to give the
Post Office or Fed Ex a swift kick int eh ass to get my
package to me?

TommyPappas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TommyPappas

I got three of them. I live in Arizona, so I set them to DEN, with DST off. Two of them did it no problem, but the third one goes from CHI to LAX without that crucial stop in Colorado.

Any insights, gurus?

jadrien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadrien
jadrien wrote:When should I give up hope on getting mine? It checked out of the FedEx system on the 24th in Georgia, and is not yet in my mailbox. ;-(

I forgot to mention that I live in Massachusetts. Georgia isn't all that close. My watch hasn't shown up yet either. Woot! has launched a search for it and gave me a refund in the meantime. It could be a few more weeks before a final verdict is in.

Anyone know what the half-life on this thing is? ;-)

Atragon

It's May 8th.
Still no watch.
It was supposed to get here on the 25th on April.
I need a search and rescue team STAT!

I'm officially asking the Woot people, right here, right now to find my missing watch and or issue a replacement or refund please.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Atragon wrote:It's May 8th.
Still no watch.
It was supposed to get here on the 25th on April.
I need a search and rescue team STAT!

I'm officially asking the Woot people, right here, right now to find my missing watch and or issue a replacement or refund please.

Best thing to do is fire off an email to service@woot.com with your order number. They're the folks that can reship or issue a refund.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

spyderfry

FYI for anyone that received a watch with the cludy/discolored crystal. I took the four screws out from the back, removed the back, pulled the interior watch component out (all one piece), and wiped out the cloudy, oily substance on the inside of the crystal with a microfiber cloth. Put everything back together and everything is super clear now! Very easy process, and now I'm very happy with the appearance of my otherwise nerdy watch.

star2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages star2

does anyone know how to turn off the beeping sound that occurs when pressing buttons?

qvtqht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages qvtqht
star2 wrote:does anyone know how to turn off the beeping sound that occurs when pressing buttons?

I also wish to know this.

Overall, a piece of crizznap, foo, but I didn't get it for daily wearing anyway. I got it for that 80s-themed party that I will eventually end up at. This thing will be a hit!

mikeskelly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeskelly

Just looking at my Woot account, and was reminded of this, my all time worst woot. Had to pay a jewler to take links out of the band. It weighs much too much. Then it stopped keeping the correct time. It sits on my dresser to remind me to be carefull with purchases. (although I recently wooted a Sansa e200 mp3 player which I'm very happy with.)

mppatt01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mppatt01

Just found this in my dresser. Took it to work, adjusted the band, wearing it now. Seems to be a fine woot.

-P