outwiththejive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages outwiththejive
videocam wrote:I could maybe stand the ugliness if it played Zelda

Dude, I used to HAVE the Zelda watch. The Mario Bros. one, too! I was the coolest kid on my street.

In fact, I was one of the New Kids on the Block, baby!

Out with the jive, in with the love

stevemi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevemi

That watch is stylin'. Time to bring out the moon boots! The 80s are back, baby, and this time for good!

Seriously, my Fossil has been great so far - but then again, I only got it last Xmas, and it wasn't my choice of brand. It's a dress watch, and I also have a more casual watch for hiking and the like.

So have more than one watch. Some you wear to the Opera. Some you wear to the ballgame. Some you wear at the local Linux geekfests where you can rant about stolen open source code. This watch is for the latter.

PhilBrandn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PhilBrandn

Hey Woot - did you steal this off of his dead body?

outwiththejive

I mean, I already had a Fossil watch with a leather band...

But I had no idea that they made such hip pieces of mechanics.

I'm in for one.(WOOT!) Early self-graduation gift (just like the Canon camera earlier this week). It's a wonderful justification for just about everything--including staying up late on Woot and not studying for finals.

outwiththejive

PhilBrandn wrote:Hey Woot - did you steal this off of his dead body?

Man, I wish I had a signed photo like that...

Maybe that'll be tomorrow's follow-up woot.

planetjeffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages planetjeffy

jeeezus this is one ugly watch - even for $1.99.

Budwzr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Budwzr
Mikegtp wrote:I had a watch that looked like this..back in 1984

Ummm...I think you meant 1974

dbsidney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dbsidney
belgurdo wrote:Price is nice, but it's fugly. I can get better $10 watches out of Sears

Yes, but can you get an ATOMIC watch for $10 from Sears? No, you can't.

BernieJDufrene

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BernieJDufrene

Flash Back to the 80s! No Thanks Woot!

Budwzr

This watch was the prototype for the first Apollo mission, I think.

dbsidney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dbsidney

What scares me is that you have an AUTOGRAPHED photo of this nerd!!

Budwzr

I saw one of these at Walgreens for $10 more.

outwiththejive

dbsidney wrote:

What scares me is that you have an AUTOGRAPHED photo of this nerd!!

No, silly. He just used an image tag and pulled it from the World Wide Web...a.k.a. the Internet. You know, that new-fangled thing that Al Gore invented right after he came up with the design for these groovy watches!

twistmeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twistmeyer

Heh. I'm wearing one of those late-'70s Seiko LCD watches, the ones that read out in military time so they didn't need an am/pm indicator. Damned thing won't quit, even after 29 years of daily wear. Still has the loudest alarm of any watch I've ever seen, though -- actually wakes me up in the morning.

Been looking for something new, so I actually have a second watch, but the current models out there have left me cold, until this one...

No accounting for taste, eh?

vorin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vorin

i wouldn't wear this watch if it was given to me
too retro imo

outwiththejive

Hey, speaking of alarms, does anybody know if this one has different alarm sounds (beep...beep...beep instead of beepbeepbeepbeepbeep) to choose from? Or maybe I'm just asking too much of our little atomic friend

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

Alright, lets get this straight.
This watch was used in the 70's as a signalling device to the boys in Cheyenne Mountain that our country was undaer a nuclear attack!
This way they would have thousands of detectors all over the U.S. and Canada to act as sentinals. Then they would feel safe in a retailator MAD response.
You know, I think they are coming back with this because of Putin... just a guess...

Ah, the hell with it.

elmullletgrande

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmullletgrande
egarc wrote:Is it water resistant?

According to the Amazon description, it's "30 Meters Water Resistant".

TehCaspia

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TehCaspia

"Hourly chime" sounds like one of those annoying watches nerds have that beep every hour without any way of shutting them up...let me repeat -annoying-

woot changed my signature...apparently linking my old blog was "advertising"...never thought I'd see anyone give Obama a run for his money on being the nanny state...

TehCaspia

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TehCaspia
but at least today's woot is not as ugly as this!

Freakin HUGE!

hmmm compensating for something? methinks yes.

woot changed my signature...apparently linking my old blog was "advertising"...never thought I'd see anyone give Obama a run for his money on being the nanny state...

sbc2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbc2112

i can't see the pic of the nerd!! (but I knew it was the nerd from the image code on the reply, and I'm JUST nerdy enough to know who Robert Carradine is!!) never mind, the pic popped up now!! IS HE DEAD FOR REAL???? ANYBODY????

doze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doze

In for one, I'm lazy and need a beater watch that looks half decent to wear to work. Fossil watches usually last a few years and this is a good price.

sbc2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbc2112

[quote user="videocam"]I could maybe stand the ugliness if it played Zelda

I STILL have my Pac Man watch!! What do you think it's worth on the world market?? IT STILL WORKS FINE AFTER NEARLY 25 YEARS!!

tms10000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tms10000
stockblock wrote:"Atomic? so no batereys?"

i love how this question probably came up like 80 times already...

if you can't figure it out ladies and gentleman just think:

would an atomic powered watch really cost $15?

Of course, an atomic powered watch could really cost $15, it's not so much the watch that is expensive, it's the 87 lbs of uranium that you need to feed it every day. Not to mention that spent uranium, plutonium and other ratioactive leftovers that you need to dispose of correctly (the EPA will be on to you) and of course the team of French engineers needed to run the watch 24/7. Those French need lodging and feeding and everything else.

All in all, it's not such a good deal.

Suggestion for Woot: Nixon watches.

klinkhauer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klinkhauer
BlueGeek wrote:

not as bad as the logitech curves though, those are gonna be legendary,... ugly as SIN

I thought the logitech curves were cute, to be honest.

elvislover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elvislover

You can buy better looking watches at Wal Mart

There is no place like woot there is no place like woot.

professore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages professore
pilfpolf wrote:woot is sexist tonight. does not appeal to the female wooters ! (and no i cant buy this as a gift for a dude.)

Hey, you don't hear US complaining when they have the Barbie(R) vacuum, do you?

OH, SNAP!!!

*not a real professor...

dharmabummer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dharmabummer

You can't beat knowing the time in 23 cities. Maybe now my husband will stop calling his family at 3 a.m. (their time).

panchitomen3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages panchitomen3

this will be great for my high school reunion class of 79' ..... groovy

Brad47

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Brad47
pushingrobot wrote:

The NIST clock doesn't change with DST, but you're still right. I did a bit of research and discovered they broadcast a flag when DST is in effect. So WWVB-receiving clocks *should* use the new dates automatically, as long as the clock uses the radio signal and not its internal calendar for DST.

While I agree that they *should*, unfortunately not all WWVB-receiving time pieces read the flag to adjust the time for Daylight Saving Time and Daylight Wasting Time. I have two WWVB-receiving clocks and neither of them was able to see the new date for DST recently. I can't say whether this Woot watch is designed to act on the time change signal from WWVB or not. I guess if this is important to you, it is best to ask the manufacturer.

ybest11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ybest11

Will this watch sync in a country such as Israel which isn't mentioned in the product specs?

Redhead7515

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Redhead7515

Here's a link to the watches user manual.
It's not much, but it did answer some of my questions.

Give thanks for today,
because tomorrow is not a given right.

SilverStar830

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SilverStar830

I think I had a watch that looked just like that once... back in 1983.

ddp337

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddp337

Anyone know if this will work in Hawaii? In other words, will it
a) reliably receive a radio signal from either US or Japan
and
b) support the Hawaii timezone?

Regards,
-Dave

IronCook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IronCook

If it wasn't a digital....

wl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wl

From _WWVB Radio Controlled Clocks: Recommended Practicesfor Manufacturers and Consumers_:

However, we contend that use of the term “atomic clock” is technically incorrect and misleading to consumers, and its usage should be avoided. Unless there is actually an atomic oscillator inside the RCC (such as a cesium or rubidium oscillator), we recommend that the term “radio controlled clock” be used to correctly describe the product.

Amazon claims it is water resistant up to 30 meters.

kentuckygirl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kentuckygirl

Wow. I don't think my dad would even wear anything this out of date. I haven't seen one of these since grade school! Might be nice to have if you are doing a costume party or something and you want that 1980's geek look. heh.

arrival

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arrival
linkiswickeddank wrote:pretty sweet, but beware!! you will prolly have to pay another 5$ just to get it fitted right, unless you like having mangled metal links, or you know a guy

I know a guy who knows a guy*... lol
Im passing tonight thanks...

*"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious." - Ferris knows the guy in question.

Sith1ord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sith1ord

better than the atomic clock that wasn't digital

Wooting my way through the night since 9/11

hotsoupgimp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotsoupgimp

Too bad it doesn't have a calculator and an address book. It would go well with my pocket protector, glasses, and suspenders.

I had a psychic girlfriend once. She left me before we got together.