gibvel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gibvel

Awwwww, see, now I really feel like a nerd!! I've still got a Sieko from 79, that looks similar, that I still use today! Granted no Atomic clock sync or DST adjust but it does keep time well. :oD

frantix

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frantix
Mikegtp wrote:I had a watch that looked like this..back in 1984

You come up with that by yourself? Oh wait, you just twisted the "80's called and ... " phrase that's over used here.

kericr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kericr

Does Woot! ever sell a watch that doesn't look like I just pulled it out of a sample of my own stool? Seriously, I'm relatively new, but I've seen them sell a lot of watches and all of them are ugly as sin.

nywireguy1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nywireguy1
gibvel wrote:Awwwww, see, now I really feel like a nerd!! I've still got a Sieko from 79, that looks similar, that I still use today! Granted no Atomic clock sync or DST adjust but it does keep time well. :oD

Must be a knock off, because I had a Sieko too. But it wasn't as reliable or sharp looking as a S E I K O....

Syth6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Syth6

It is fugly, but the fact that it syncs itself to th correct time is pretty darn ribs.

i95rr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages i95rr

I used to like fossil watches. I might get this as a gift for my god-son

Its gonna be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing!!!

AaronFerg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AaronFerg

I have an analog Fossil watch and it's never let me down and still looks nearly new after 4 years. Good woot, 'cept for it being digital and all that.

2zz4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2zz4
linkiswickeddank wrote:pretty sweet, but beware!! you will prolly have to pay another 5$ just to get it fitted right, unless you like having mangled metal links, or you know a guy

"You know a guy..." - Andy Garcia Ocean's 11 (2001)

Mescalero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mescalero
warning1 wrote:The specs say it is auto-DST. Does it know about the new DST rules? Do you have to program in the new rules?

I have an atomic watch, not this one, and it "syncs with the world atomic clock daily" so it doesn't need to know the rules. Every night at 2:00am it recieves a signal and resets if necessary.

Finman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Finman

I've had atomic watches since 2002 and will never buy any other kind of watch again. With an atomic watch, you will always have the correct time. There is no programming required. Of course, my cell phone always has the correct time, too, but I'm 56 years old and am accustomed to wearing a watch, as I have done so since I was 13.

The ones I've had (Casio) receive a signal from the atomic clock transmitter located in Fort Collins, Colorado every day at 1:00 AM. The trick is that when the signal is transmitted, the watch must be stationary and the top of the watch case pointed in the general direction of Fort Collins. But, I live on the East coast near the edge of the transmission range; if you live closer you may not have to "position" your watch every night. Also, I must manually change the time zone when I travel. With all these watches, there is a way to manually receive the signal on demand.

This one also seems to be able to pick up signals from the transmitters in other countries (neither of my current ones do) and that's a plus. It seems to have a number of other features that I don't currently have.

So... I Want One!

kippyj

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kippyj

Regarding this watch, though, the description doesn't give dimensions. I bought a Fossil watch for my husband in February, and although it keeps perfect time, it's so huge it resembles a wall clock on his wrist!

R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut

"I love your red hair. It's not very common and YOU are FAR from common." Tom Harris

ferris209

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ferris209

I'd like to know how big it is too. I'd like this watch for work and my wrists are kind of small, so big watches don't help me much and they get in way whenever I have to do anything physical.

star2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages star2

Reason I got one (besides the ones listed on the front):
The display looks HUGE.

ryansanders3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryansanders3

can't you get these out of one of those "Claw" games at the arcade. hmmm. I have a feeling it would turn my wrist an odd color.

miquonranger03

quality posts: 5 Private Messages miquonranger03

I live near Three Mile Island, which should improve reception quite a bit.

agbertoni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages agbertoni

I think the actual name of this watch is... "The never get laid model"!! They may as well have gone the distance and put a calculator on it.

I didn't realize guys still wore digital watches?!?!

chubsb1tch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chubsb1tch

wow... if you buy this you probably play chess.... or teach math....ugly

"All the people at the zoo are gonna treat you real nice and respectable-like, Mr. Penguin"

Exeat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Exeat

Anyone know where I can get a pocket protector to go with the keen watch?

wind0023

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wind0023
i95rr wrote:I used to like fossil watches. I might get this as a gift for my god-son

I was thinkin' gift too . . . for my cousin. Of course, I don't like him very much, so this is PERFECT!

littlebrother2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages littlebrother2

..ugly...digital?..W T F?...

EnsRedShirt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EnsRedShirt

First Woot! Now why did I woot this watch? One very simple reason, it can tell me the correct time. Thats it. I don't normally wear watches because of some reaction with my skin, but at least with this one it has a couple of years under warranty, and if they don't honor it, I learned a cheap but valuable lesson about the Fossil corporation and its commitment to its customers. A watch is not a status symbol, and this one is not made to look ribs, it's supposed to just function.. If you want a ribs watch go to a jewlery store.

dloeffle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dloeffle

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea." - Douglas Adams

jimcarrey363

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimcarrey363
AlexJS wrote:U-G-L-Y
it ain't got no alibi!
it's ugly!
woot woot!
it's ugly!

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for making my morning with that comment :-)

groove1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages groove1

That thing is fugly.

knickerbocker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knickerbocker

Ugliest Watch Eva

brikbats

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brikbats
diman1956 wrote:we all carry cell phones, at this point a watch is a status symbol and this doesn't cut it!!!!!

I happen to agree. Every new gizmo has a digital clock. Even our stoves and clothes dryers have them! Everywhere we look there's a green LCD with a time stamp on it. I prefer analogs anyway, but the geeky side of me sees the ribs factor of an atomic sync watch.

Caution909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Caution909

Woah Woah Woah, this watch is indeed unappealing to the eye, but how many people can say that their watch is atomic, possibly radioactive? and the description pretty much tells you all you want to know... pretty much all..

auditeer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auditeer

I just wooted two- one for me, and one for my Atomic Dog.

Thank you, I'll be here until Sunday. Don't forget to tip your waitstaff.

knarfy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knarfy

Good God Almighty that is one ugly watch!!! I'm in for 3.

shrapnel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shrapnel
pushingrobot wrote:The NIST clock doesn't change with DST, but you're still right. I did a bit of research and discovered they broadcast a flag when DST is in effect. So WWVB-receiving clocks *should* use the new dates automatically, as long as the clock uses the radio signal and not its internal calendar for DST.

Just for reference, I have a Sharp atomic analog wall clock purchased around a year ago that uses its own internal calendar rather than respecting any DST signal. Its time was off by an hour for 3 weeks this spring (and you can't seem to manually set it). I've been meaning to call them...

eastsidejason

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eastsidejason

Here are some other pics of the watch. Maybe not as ugly as depicted in the original pic? If that's a real pic of it on someone's wrist, it's big!

auditeer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auditeer

The size of this thing kind of reminds me of them house arrest ankle units....or so I've heard....

grimor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages grimor
linkiswickeddank wrote:pretty sweet, but beware!! you will prolly have to pay another 5$ just to get it fitted right, unless you like having mangled metal links, or you know a guy

most department stores with a jewelry counter will fit them for free

Woots: 121 Items: 236-2 Last Woot: 05/07/2012 Woot Wage: $4,559.41

panteedropper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages panteedropper

great gift items! i'm in for three! darn you woot lol

terryj42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages terryj42

In for one -- sure it's ugly, but so am I.

camelotspm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages camelotspm

Could this be any uglier?

bond007x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bond007x
sntothemax wrote:The Fossil two year warranty means nothing. I had a lifetime fossil warranty that doesn't cover anything unless the gears inside that move the hand would break. So now I have 2 useless fossil watches that don't move or blink. I took it to 3 watch places and they all told me the same thing, we don't touch fossils.

Ah, perhaps that is why they are called "Fossils"? ;-)

Mikethekid21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mikethekid21

am i wrong in thinking that all of our cell phones are essentially "atomic watches"? i dont know if they get the time from the same exact source as a real atomic watch, but the majority of cell phones these days automatically sync to the correct time via your service provider....maybe not as 100% accurate as an atomic watch, but i think ill live if my phone is a second or so off....or maybe it is equally as accurate - all i know is that ive never had a problem

jes2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jes2
liammc wrote:Atomic watch syncs with the world atomic clock daily

You all know it's for the goverment to track your daily movement!. It is how they know where you are, and what you do until they start using more implant features.

Ummm... they won't know ALL of my actions. I'm right-handed. ;-)

Speaking of that... got my pair of screamin' Woot monkeys. My pup loves 'em.

WOOT!

rwmoore3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwmoore3

this looks like something my dad would have worn home during the early 80's and said, "look everyone, a digital watch!"