bustermac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bustermac

You can see what time it is in 23 selected cities around the world (not including Chernobyl, Nagasaki, or Three Mile Island).

I live near TMI, so does this mean the watch won't work for me at all?

auditeer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auditeer

Finally found some usefull sizing info on this:
http://www.smarthome.com/9428.html

Specifications

Fossil Product No.: AU4008
UPC: 691464070182
Dimensions: 1 5/8" x 1 5/8"
Display: 1 3/16" diagonal
Warranty: 2 years, limited

kpk021

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kpk021
diman1956 wrote:we all carry cell phones, at this point a watch is a status symbol and this doesn't cut it!!!!!

Yeah.. in my coat pocket or in the car or in a drawer at work, but it's off most of the time. I'm always wearing a watch, but it's easier to just look at my wrist anyway.

This watch is probably nicer than it looks in the Woot picture. Nothing super fancy but at least decent. I have an atomic watch and it works well. The atomic time itself doesn't set the DST, but from what I read it sends out a "DST is in effect" flag. So if you have the watch set to the correct time zone, it should always update DST correctly even if it changes.

auditeer

kpk021 wrote:

Yeah.. in my coat pocket or in the car or in a drawer at work, but it's off most of the time. I'm always wearing a watch, but it's easier to just look at my wrist anyway.

The day a $20 watch, yet alone a FOSSIL watch becomes a status symbol is the day I seriously reconsider climbing up that clocktower with the Marlin 30/30.

But seriously, I've gone through 4 Fossils in my life, in about the span of 3 years...the quality just isn't there, despite the looks of some of their lines, they just don't have 'it'. If you crack the face, its about $60 to get it fixed, yet a new one costs $75...plus once you open one to change the battery, the case never goes back together correctly, and it loses its water-resistant properties.

You get what you pay for, and when you buy a Fossil, you are indeed buying a cheap, poorly made, easily replaceable, and very close to disoposable watch.

WadeGwynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WadeGwynn

Will this watch work when I go to Europe this summer?

shintoway

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shintoway

Watch should come with a pocket protector! UGLY!

woot55115

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woot55115

wow what a beautiful watch! it will go great with my tinted eyeglasses, disco shirt, and "smokey and the bandit" edition trans am!

daerrynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daerrynn

This is marketing to a manufactured need. Most regular watches keep time very, very accurately already, even the $6 WalMart watches everyone keeps citing.

Kuriakos23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kuriakos23

For the afraid to be labeled impulse buyer, R U stuck on stupid? This makes a wonderful birthday gift for a 15yr old....hehehe. Should keep it for myself... I woot! as often as possible since the prices always seem to be attractive. I'm patiently waiting for that home entertainment system to show up again. Blessings to all!

[size=14]Michael Sr.[/size]
Health conscious? Visit MOXXOR

auditeer

daerrynn wrote:This is marketing to a manufactured need. Most regular watches keep time very, very accurately already, even the $6 WalMart watches everyone keeps citing.

Yep- poster is right. It doesn't matter if its made in Japan, Switzerland, Mexico, or China...as long as the quartz crystal isn't cracked, and a charge is sent through it, it all keeps the same crystalline ring, and therefore the same time reasonably. The technology is old enough (1970's) and enough improvements have been made to optimize the circuitry needed, and the tech is cheap.

Dickielucy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dickielucy

oh, i haven't seen a digital watch like this since i used to roller skate in the mid 1970's

auditeer

Dickielucy wrote:oh, i haven't seen a digital watch like this since i used to roller skate in the mid 1970's

Automatic watches are the way to go. I bought a Seiko Kinetic Titanium 4 years ago, and it is an amazing piece.

vristevski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vristevski

I guess my last post was inappropriate and got deleted.

This is a very ugly watch. Watches are a fashion accessory these days. If you paid me $20 I wouldn't wear this.

The good thing about it is if you're ever in a bind, you can call KITT to come get you out of it.

calmaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calmaven

This is a great price. The Casio "radio synced" watches sell for about $100. The DST is set by the time signal. My Casio was correct with the new US rules.

chrischampion

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chrischampion
warning1 wrote:The specs say it is auto-DST. Does it know about the new DST rules? Do you have to program in the new rules?

It doesn't need to. The Atomic Clocks certainly know it... it just listens to the broadcast and changes the time when appropriate.

bond007x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bond007x

From ebay search, here are more photos (link may not be available depending upon date). It works today, may be gone later...

Auctiva.com image link

Nice backlight.

brianodie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianodie
paulhtck wrote:

I can't touch that.

No. You can't touch THIS!

coleoptera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coleoptera

Amazon says it's 30 m water resistant: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BVPQHA/

dhoffman98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhoffman98
opticbob wrote:The atomic time signal in the US accounts for DST. No matter what changes are made to DST in the future, this watch should always be up to date.

Wrong! The atomic time signal in the US is synchronized to the Universal Coordinated Time. Any devices that use that as a reference for setting local time have to know what the date is and have to know what time zone you are in so that they can make the adjustment. A device that you set for Central time, but that uses the old start and end dates WILL BE WRONG.

45Super

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 45Super
egarc wrote:Is it water resistant?

Water resistant to 30 meters according to another website

usms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages usms

For all you making fun of this watch, I sold a Hamilton LED (not LCD) watch that was one of the first geekie watches for $800! Buy this one, wait 30 years and I bet you can double your money I have a Casio Atomic solar power that is really nice. I might grab this one just because it is so big. Anyone know how large the band is?

dhoffman98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhoffman98
ddp337 wrote:Anyone know if this will work in Hawaii?

No it won't. Well, actually, yes it will, but it won't show you the correct time. According to the documentation, you must select the time zone you are in from four options, Pacific, Mountain, Central, or Eastern. It uses that information so it knows how to adjust the UTC time received from the atomic clock.

However, it also has a travel mode where you can tell it that you went to another country, and can cause it to change to that country, so if you want to leave it in travel mode it should work. And before you ask, yes you can receive atomic clock signals in Hawaii.

leonbev

quality posts: 10 Private Messages leonbev

Ugly watch, but groovy podcast! I was rocking out to it!

TGPhilly666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TGPhilly666

Damn, that is one ugly watch. The price is good for what it is though. Fossil is pretty hit or miss. I had a reasonably expensive Fossil watch that broke after 6 months, but my brother has had his for 4 or 5 years with no problems at all.

yvieinca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yvieinca
sntothemax wrote:The Fossil two year warranty means nothing. I had a lifetime fossil warranty that doesn't cover anything unless the gears inside that move the hand would break. So now I have 2 useless fossil watches that don't move or blink. I took it to 3 watch places and they all told me the same thing, we don't touch fossils.

If you really want to get them fixed, I know a place you can send them to. LMK.

1. 3/23/07-2x Screaming Woot Monkeys
  2. 4/1/07-My very first Bag of Crumpets!

sethm1222

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sethm1222
958VRM wrote:is it Abacus or Fossil brand ? not bad price I guess

Abacus is a division of Fossil. Currently they've been using the Abacus brand for their Techie products (Atomic, MSN Direct and PDA watches)

bsx42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsx42
dhoffman98 wrote:

Wrong! The atomic time signal in the US is synchronized to the Universal Coordinated Time. Any devices that use that as a reference for setting local time have to know what the date is and have to know what time zone you are in so that they can make the adjustment. A device that you set for Central time, but that uses the old start and end dates WILL BE WRONG.

Unless you have confirmed this with a better source, you are wrong says the manual, page 9:

Auto DST (Daylight Savings Time)
The atomic signal your watch receives includes the
DST information.

• If “Auto DST” is selected, DST will automatically be set by
the atomic signal.
• If “Manual DST” is selected, DST is selected manually and
will NOT be changed by the atomic signal.
• To select “Auto DST” or “Manual DST” enter time setting
mode, press A eight times, and select “AT” (Auto DST) or
“ML” (Manual DST).

For the curious geeks, here is the NIST page on the WWVB data format.

vexationo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vexationo

Too bad, I actually need a new watch.. One that didn't look like it was made circa 1970 and perhaps one thats not digital. Thats only ribs when you're 9.

tacooksey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tacooksey
warning1 wrote:The specs say it is auto-DST. Does it know about the new DST rules? Do you have to program in the new rules?

You can turn the auto adjust on or off. It will sink with Colorado 4 times per day. If it is on auto it will correct itself daily. All you need to do is pick the city in your time zone. If you live in Arizona do not turn the Auto DST on.

Troy A. Cooksey

jsan448349

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsan448349
fredly00 wrote:Hey its Thursday the 48th? what?

Thats the week number for the year. Its says it right on the Features section.

Julian Sanchez Jr

spyderfry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyderfry

Woot! I'm in for one. The retro look is what appeals to me. Big digital watches are making a fasion comeback.

tacooksey

spyderfry wrote:Woot! I'm in for one. The retro look is what appeals to me. Big digital watches are making a fasion comeback.

That is right, I see them all the time at the mall.

Troy A. Cooksey

tacooksey

If you want a good atomic watch and are willing to spend more get a Casio G-Shock. They are great. But this is a good watch for the money. I went atomic years ago and never have to worrie about the time being right. Only thing that would make it better is solar power.

Troy A. Cooksey

KrisHamilton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KrisHamilton

I wooted 1. Figured at worst case, it would be a great watch to wear on vacation or when you're working in the yard. No since it breaking/losing a good watch

jjcool

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jjcool
videocam wrote:I could maybe stand the ugliness if it played Zelda

but at least today's woot is not as ugly as this!

Freakin HUGE!

I've got that zelda watch. still in working order too.
that other one is ugly, but probably costs alot.

amybeth007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amybeth007

Wow. This would be super awesome if, well I don't think you could do anything to make this super awesome.

It's pretty bad. lol

NoodlesKnowles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages NoodlesKnowles

everyone is saying this is ugly, why am I still considering buying it? yeah they don't last forever, but who wants to wear the same watch their whole life anyway? I buy a new fossil every few years, they have THOUSANDS of different styles, thats what I like. anyway, I can't decide if I like this or not, reguardless, the price is right!

• 8/29/09 1 Genie 1/2 HP Belt Drive GDO
  • 8/9/09 1 Maverick Remote BBQ Thermometer
  • 4-4-07 1 Zyxel Wireless Network Adapter
  • 4-1-07 1 Million Dollar scaffolding

maschekw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maschekw

Well... good thing SIZE does not matter... :-)

If sizing is the only hinderance.. I will be sporting me a new watch sometime soon!~~

isandie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isandie

pfft all you naysayers...i'm liking this retro early 80's styling!

goatar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goatar

ANY WATCH FROM HERE IS BETTER

http://tokyoflash.com/