Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

The judging panel is irritated. Just when we'd started to settle into a comfortable contest groove - page through a few dozen entries, anoint the usual winners, and fire up the blender for our Monday morning daiquiris - you guys go and make our lives difficult by actually putting some effort into this thing. For two weeks running, we've had to rouse ourselves to carefully consider which images are superior, to parse the unique meanings of each concept, to scrutinize each pixel for proper form, weight and heft. Frankly, that sounds too much like work! If this untidy level of creative activity continues, we may have to forgo our Monday morning daiquiris altogether, which would turn our attitude less than pleasant. Consider yourselves warned.

First prize - $100
majik
Blendon Bridge

Build it up with Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop
Build it up with Photoshop, my dear majik

Second prize - $50
urbsnspices
Blenderhenge

Nobody knows who urbsnspices is, or what he is doing, but his legacy remains...hewn into the living rock…of Blenderhenge...

Third prize - $20
mnementh
Devil's Blender

This blender doesn't grow on trees - trees grow on this blender!

Special honorable mention - $20
cameronw7
Absowüt Westinghouse

cameronw7's entry was just a tiny bit off-topic, but it was so awesome, it's inspired our next contest theme! Get an early start, because for this coming Friday's contest, you'll be charged with creating an Absowüt ad with any woot, past or present. We'll still announce it this Friday as usual, but you careful readers get an extra five days to work on your entries.

Honorable mentions:

DCzski, Blender Suburbia
http://www.woot.com/Images/contest/34-dczski-blenderville.jpg

wonderstew, Ice Cubism
http://www.woot.com/Images/contest/34-wonderstew-picasso.jpg

twallis, Wasting Away in Absintheville
http://www.woot.com/Images/contest/34-twallis-absinthe.jpg

twallis, Eiffel Like a Drink
http://www.woot.com/Images/contest/34-twallis-eiffelblender.jpg

The first three presented some very tough calls, but the consensus was that those very well-done images didn't quite hit the mark, themewise.

And our MONKEY PRIZE for The Entry That Might Have Won If Its Creator Had Used A Dictionary goes to the misspelled coin made by hatzs: http://www.woot.com/Images/contest/34-hatzs-misspelledcoin.gif - Dude, it's "inebriated."

So yeah - as always, thanks to everybody for the great entries (and for making our lives complicated). Feel free to get started on next week's contest, if you dare...

pixelvisions

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pixelvisions

Congratulations on to the winners -- not that they haven't heard it before. As for 2nd place? -- my guess is that urbsnspices is a woot employee. $50 saved is $50 earned.

w

quality posts: 0 Private Messages w

Congrats to everyone. Those were some really good entries.

cameronw7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cameronw7

I'm completely stoked to get rewarded in the contest (though i feel a mountain that was that manicured like that WOULD be a true monument LOL) and I love the fact that I inspired a woot contest as I was surprised no one thought of it before!.. Wondering how the winners get their prizes or is it in the form of some woot credit?

DCzski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DCzski

Congrats to the winners! Awesome displays of 'shop and idea presentation.

This was a tough week - I have to give kudos to the lot for so many good entries.

Can't wait for the Absolut!

majik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages majik

awesome... thanks!

cameronw7 wrote:
Wondering how the winners get their prizes or is it in the form of some woot credit?

They'll email you and ask for a paypal account, then be prepared to wait a while...

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

So, since we need to pick a woot from the past, any chance that the woot guys will post links to the nice large item-on-white images they used for the product descriptions? It would be a handy resource for everyone to use.

I was asking about this some time ago, but never got a response. maybe I'll have to go find that thread in the "everything else" forum and bump it.

mattg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattg
 Turken wrote:
So, since we need to pick a woot from the past, any chance that the woot guys will post links to the nice large item-on-white images they used for the product descriptions? It would be a handy resource for everyone to use.

I was asking about this some time ago, but never got a response. maybe I'll have to go find that thread in the "everything else" forum and bump it.

If you find a past woot in the blog, you can get the detailed image by replacing "thumbnail" with "detail" in the image url. There are usually three versions of any image: "standard", "detail" and "thumbnail". For example:

http://www.woot.com/Images/Sale/Soyo_BayOne_Extreme_Card_Reader-standard.jpg
http://www.woot.com/Images/Sale/Soyo_BayOne_Extreme_Card_Reader-detail.jpg
http://www.woot.com/Images/Sale/Soyo_BayOne_Extreme_Card_Reader-thumbnail.jpg

Someone else posted this tip in the past - I forget who (but thanks!)

Turken

mattg wrote:

If you find a past woot in the blog, you can get the detailed image by replacing "thumbnail" with "detail" in the image url. There are usually three versions of any image: "standard", "detail" and "thumbnail". For example:

http://www.woot.com/Images/Sale/Soyo_BayOne_Extreme_Card_Reader-standard.jpg
http://www.woot.com/Images/Sale/Soyo_BayOne_Extreme_Card_Reader-detail.jpg
http://www.woot.com/Images/Sale/Soyo_BayOne_Extreme_Card_Reader-thumbnail.jpg

Someone else posted this tip in the past - I forget who (but thanks!)

Tahnks Mattg!! I didn't realize that it was that easy... now to start a woot image catalog on my computer...

malacca73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malacca73

My goodness. Please take a few weeks off and give some of the rest of a chance to win some $, Majik.

Your PS skills are truly awe-inspiring. I am on my knees at this time, bowing down to your winning image.

What was your pay rate for this creation?

urbsnspices

quality posts: 7 Private Messages urbsnspices
 pixelvisions wrote:
Congratulations on to the winners -- not that they haven't heard it before. As for 2nd place? -- my guess is that urbsnspices is a woot employee. $50 saved is $50 earned.

Ouch. In my defense, this week they were a stickler about the theme and stonehenge fits nicely into the monumental monument catagory. It is after all where children dance to the pipes of pan, where banshees live and they do live well, where dew drops cry and the cats meow...well you get the picture. Thanks woot!

majik

malacca73 wrote:
My goodness. Please take a few weeks off and give some of the rest of a chance to win some $, Majik.

Your PS skills are truly awe-inspiring. I am on my knees at this time, bowing down to your winning image.

What was your pay rate for this creation?

haha... thx for the compliments. I'm actually really happy about this one. Out of all my entries in other contests, this one took me the most time. Plus, there were so many other amazing entries...

BTW, this is the original if anyone wants to see it
http://www.ih.savba.sk/ihp/skukworkshop/Tower_Bridge_1107372021.jpg

Alien Research Group

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alien Research Group
 Jason Toon wrote:

<p>....but the consensus was that
those very well-done images didn't quite hit the mark, themewise.</p>

"Show us *your* monument...."

Admit it, y'all are "inebriated!" LOL

(PS I thought the misspelling was part of his joke.) ;-)

dbucowboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbucowboy

MUTINY!!! There were a lot of great entries this week, however, I don't think most of the winners went with the "Monument" theme... natural rock formation and bridges shouldn't count as a monument... I saw much better (quality and theme-following) images out there... again, I think you woots missed it... just my 2 cents though.

mnementh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnementh
 dbucowboy wrote:
MUTINY!!! There were a lot of great entries this week, however, I don't think most of the winners went with the "Monument" theme... natural rock formation and bridges shouldn't count as a monument

Devils Tower is the first US National Monument.

bam wokka chicka wokka chicka wokka chicka wokka chicka
Master Ninja Theme Song

mnementh

majik wrote:
haha... thx for the compliments. I'm actually really happy about this one. Out of all my entries in other contests, this one took me the most time. Plus, there were so many other amazing entries...

Great editing but... Levels! That thing has a nasty yellow cast.

Master Ninja Theme Song

mnementh

Jason Toon wrote:
Get an early start, because for this coming
Friday's contest, you'll be charged with creating an Absowüt ad with any woot,
past or present. We'll still announce it this Friday as usual, but you careful
readers get an extra five days to work on your entries.

Any chance of getting the pictures of all the old Woots back online? People who didn't save the pictures before Woot 2.0 will be at a disadvantage. And it's a shame that the goofy Woot-off pictures (animated gifs, Brave Woman, Monkey vs Robot) aren't online. And classics like these-

Master Ninja Theme Song

mnementh

cameronw7 wrote:
Wondering how the winners get their prizes or is it in the form of some woot credit?

It's been in promises and fairy dust recently. I'll be unthankful until I hear from tipjar or GallopingCow. ;-)

Master Ninja Theme Song

rdcollns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdcollns

I still can't believe the Eiffel Tower construction was not included. It was incridebly creative and well done.

McGuffy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages McGuffy

Mnementh, while talented, is also obviously closely related to someone on the judging panel. It was good, but not great.

This was my first and last contest entry.

RIGGED!

mnementh

Jason Toon wrote:
Get an early start, because for this coming
Friday's contest, you'll be charged with creating an Absowüt ad with any woot,
past or present.

If anyone needs inspiration, W1K has four galleries of Absolut Photochops. One of them even shows Absolut Woot.

Master Ninja Theme Song

Alien Research Group

McGuffy wrote:
Mnementh, while talented, is also obviously closely related to someone on the judging panel. It was good, but not great.

This was my first and last contest entry.

RIGGED!

McGuffy, I thought your entry was fun, etc..

Don't quit!!

In all fairness to the "judging panel," there were so many great submissions, they had to likely narrow the definition to choose.

Maybe? ;-)

Alien Research Group

mnementh wrote:

It's been in promises and fairy dust recently. I'll be unthankful until I hear from tipjar or GallopingCow. ;-)

Wait!
Maybe he *is* related, McGuffy! LOL
(Aren't they always the ones slow to pay?)

Turken

rdcollns wrote:
I still can't believe the Eiffel Tower construction was not included. It was incridebly creative and well done.

I'll second that... very impressive, and not even an honorable mention! But like they warned us from the start, this is entirely subjective and falls to the whims of the woot staff, so better luck next time, and I look forward to seeing ya'll then!

majik

mnementh wrote:

That's why we keep winning... they hope in time, we forget how much they owe us... =)

majik

mnementh wrote:

Great editing but... Levels! That thing has a nasty yellow cast.

It took me so long to fit everything together that, in the end, I just didn't want to look at it any longer...

mnementh

majik wrote:
It took me so long to fit everything together right that, in the end, I just didn't want to look at it any longer...

That's the first thing I tweak. The colors and contrast in source images are usually screwy.

Master Ninja Theme Song

McGuffy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages McGuffy

Of course I'm just picking on Mnementh because he wins, places, or shows on every Wootoshop contest I've been audience too thus far. Talented Chopper for sure, but even the Carnie's have limits on how many prizes you can win at one game. Give those guys the big stuffed dog and line up some new unusual suspects!

mnementh

McGuffy wrote:
Of course I'm just picking on Mnementh because he wins, places, or shows on every Wootoshop contest I've been audience too thus far. Talented Chopper for sure, but even the Carnie's have limits on how many prizes you can win at one game. Give those guys the big stuffed dog and line up some new unusual suspects!

It's karmic payback for the pucks. Go pick on Majik- he shows up more often than I do ;-)

Master Ninja Theme Song

majik

mnementh wrote:

That's the first thing I tweak. The colors and contrast in source images are usually screwy.

Yeah, usually I end up using so many sources that it just makes it easier to take care of all that in one big finishing touch, but you're right, definitely should have fixed it in this one.

majik

mnementh wrote:

It's karmic payback for the pucks. Go pick on Majik- he shows up more often than I do ;-)

nah, go find charon... I think he's still the "champ", right?

mnementh

majik wrote:
Yeah, usually I end up using so many sources that it just makes it easier to take care of all that in one big finishing touch, but you're right, definitely should have fixed it in this one.

Well, to get layers to match, I have to adjust the colors before I start editing the various sources, especially if I merge layers together or clone part of one layer onto another.

Master Ninja Theme Song

mnementh

majik wrote:
nah, go find charon... I think he's still the "champ", right?

Nope, you're ahead of him by $30 now. Penguinx still has the most $ per entry, tho.

Master Ninja Theme Song

MissDemeanor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MissDemeanor

Quote- it's inspired our next contest theme! Get an early start, because for this coming Friday's contest, you'll be charged with creating an Absowüt ad with any woot, past or present. We'll still announce it this Friday as usual, but you careful readers get an extra five days to work on your entries. -/Quote

Silly Question I am sure but I am trying to stay on track/topic this time. Do you want the entry to be in the shape of the bottle like the real ads or do you want them to be in the image of the woot product like the entry this week was? I am confused by your rules. Thank you from a newbie at this kind of thing.

mnementh

MissDemeanor wrote:
Silly Question I am sure but I am trying to stay on track/topic this time. Do you want the entry to be in the shape of the bottle like the real ads or do you want them to be in the image of the woot product like the entry this week was? I am confused by your rules. Thank you from a newbie at this kind of thing.

I'm guessing that "creating an Absolut ad" won't be that specific but plenty of entries will involve making things the shape of the bottle anyway.

Master Ninja Theme Song

dbucowboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbucowboy
 rdcollns wrote:

No kidding... I'm starting to think that the woot! judgest are all on crack... that one was MILES above the rest in creativity and execution... it's sad really... if I had $100 to give the designer who did that I would...

ajacy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajacy

edit.

MissDemeanor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MissDemeanor

ajacy, I thought it was very creative. In fact I had an idea to do crop circles but after seeing yours I knew I couldn't do as well so didn't even try. I guess because it was not on target many of the entries, mine included, did not get any comments. This is a very stiff competition. I know how you feel. Just try again.

Feebler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Feebler
 mnementh wrote:

Any chance of getting the pictures of all the old Woots back online? People who didn't save the pictures before Woot 2.0 will be at a disadvantage. And it's a shame that the goofy Woot-off pictures (animated gifs, Brave Woman, Monkey vs Robot) aren't online. And classics like these-

Here here..

mnementh

Feebler wrote:
Here here..

Where, where? There, there? Hear, hear.

Master Ninja Theme Song