phr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phr
TooOldForThis wrote:

Just tonight she said, "there is nothing that I want from woot!" Then these pink mp3 players came up, with twice the capacity of the Sandisk players I got from woot! a while back, and without the lovely label that says R E F U R B, and she says, "as long as they're new, and show the artist and title." Inasmuch as she's a girl, pink's not a problem.

I don't have the impression these show the artist and title. A lot of the real cheapo players with displays just show the track number, which is better than nothing, and I think that may be what you get here.

These low-end mp3 things are a pretty good replacement for the old-fashioned cassette Walkman, which also didn't show artist and title. They're a lot smaller, they hold as many tunes as a fairly large stack of tapes, they're economical to run (get a pair of cheap rechargeable AAA's so you have one in the unit and one charged spare) and they don't chew up your tape if you use them jogging or something like that. But don't expect to put a huge cd collection into one, and they won't have fancy ipod-like navigation features.

Overall these seem like a fairly good deal if you want something entry-level. dealextreme.com has what looks like a 1gb version of the same player for $22.45 shipped, so the cost per player is a bit higher but you get 2x the memory and you're not required to buy two of them, so that might be an alternative. Remember also that Woot sold 512mb SD cards for something like $3 each just a few weeks ago.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

I have a 256 mb creative mp3 player that is very similar and runs on 1 AAA battery and I get VERY good battery life out of it...20+ hours for sure.

I won't get this though bc I already have one and well, I don't like the shape of this one. And mine IS a USB drive; it pulls out of the battery harness and inserts directly into a USB port.

Would be nice to have a colour lcd though vs black and white.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

outwiththejive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages outwiththejive
yankeemanx wrote:ACTUALLY...

Pink is my favorite color.

Isn't that a line from an Aerosmith song?

SEEEE? If Aerosmith likes pink, then it must be groovy.
Oh, and I would totally go for these, except I too already hooked up with the refurbs from Sandisk a while back.

Out with the jive, in with the love

murphicus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages murphicus

Pink = Attention

Women want (need) attention.

Bright orange, yellow or lime green would not be in high demand either.

"Friendship is like peeing your pants,
Everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

Nad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nad

hmmmm music from a big deal that's pink from Woot... Sounds familiar... *harp music (fog)* segue
yessss sounds familiar...

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis
phr wrote:I don't have the impression these show the artist and title. A lot of the real cheapo players with displays just show the track number, which is better than nothing, and I think that may be what you get here.

That's what I'm afraid of. Trying to find one song out of 100 by track number sounds tedious. The 1 GB player at dealextreme, which looks a little like this for $22.72, allegedly shows ID3 info. The site for a Chinese manufacturer at GlobalSources says that something very similar to this shows ID3 tags, if I want to by a few gross of them. What's curious about this one is the dimensions of the LCD screen, which look more like the ones that show ID3 than like the ones that show only track number.

These low-end mp3 things are a pretty good replacement for the old-fashioned cassette Walkman, which also didn't show artist and title. They're a lot smaller, they hold as many tunes as a fairly large stack of tapes, they're economical to run (get a pair of cheap rechargeable AAA's so you have one in the unit and one charged spare) and they don't chew up your tape if you use them jogging or something like that. But don't expect to put a huge cd collection into one, and they won't have fancy ipod-like navigation features.

And that's why the Walkman is dead. At least when you stuck in a tape, you only had to worry about moving though 12 to 15 songs to find the one you wanted.

kingofstead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingofstead

If I duck tape these together, does it become 1.24 GB ?

murphicus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages murphicus

For the men out who are in fear of taking the plunge to P I N K here is my story...

I purchased the VERY P I N K - 2 GB Sony NW-S705 on Woot a few weeks back (BTW, buy.com has the 1GB NW-S703 for $49 w/free shipping) and love the thing! I wish that I had bought 3 - just for the headphones - THEY ROCK! - The SonicStage software that is required to use it sticks so bad that I can't tell you in mixed company....

My first outing with the Pinky was on the bus - I had just loaded some songs at work and was being dazzled by the sound on my way home. I was sitting up front and a guy got off at the stop before mine - he waved at me to get my attention (I could not hear him) and I pulled out one plug - he said: "I just got one just like that" I said "Woot"? - "Yup, Woot!" *L* The bus driver and a woman near by got a chuckle that we were secure enough in our manhoods - that we could deal with a pink mp3 player.

.... I must say, I am thinking of taking a black sharpie to the back-side of it though!

"Friendship is like peeing your pants,
Everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

eblade

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eblade
photoweborama wrote:I snagged a pack.. I just assumed it has a rechargeable battery, but I already purchased it before I saw it uses AAA batteries. What genius came up with that idea?

You could get yourself a rechargeable AAA .. although honestly, I think I'll try and rig up something else. Unless someone is making LiIon AAA's these days...

KUSHMAN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUSHMAN

Better to put the money towards a Creative Stone.

i95rr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages i95rr

This about sums it up for me:

Con: Memory isn’t expandable. Also, it’s pink

Its gonna be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing!!!

L4m3r

quality posts: 11 Private Messages L4m3r

Well, these are crap, clearly.

Of course, at that price they're almost worth having as thumb-drives.

Actually, now that I think of it, these would be really great for "sneakernet" file sharing in school/dorm environments. ;)

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES.

mejiaroj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mejiaroj

just bought one. should be fun

brucewootie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brucewootie

Add in a very judicial and careful application of masking tape and a can of spray paint (your choice of color), and you can have any color your heart desires. I suppose it's a two-pack so you can experiment with one ...

JerryWithaJ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JerryWithaJ

I have about 8 mp3 players and just wooted. These small players allow me to assign each of my music projects to its own player and not worry about having to load/reload, swap SD cards, navigate folders. Also, I can give one to my duet partner after I load it with our current project. If I could have had 4 for the same ship, I'd've gone for 4. I have some cheap eBay players. They work but come in at about $20 with S&H.

clnease

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clnease

Well- maybe the pro to the awful con of being Pink will be that others will think it is just as horrid... and not steal the damn thing!

Vickster1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Vickster1

Check out a pic of it's display:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170115632010

eblade

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eblade
Vickster1 wrote:Check out a pic of it's display:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DESIGNER-VISION-2GB-PINK-MP3-USB-STORAGE-DEVICE-PLAYER_...QQcmdZViewItem

That's for the 2GB model, which could arguably have a few more features.

Vickster1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Vickster1
eblade wrote:

That's for the 2GB model, which could arguably have a few more features.

Um, I'm not complimenting it...looks like it would be hard to read. Thought ppl should see what the 2 gig offers before they pull the trigger on the even cheaper model.

cheroke55

quality posts: 37 Private Messages cheroke55
phr wrote:I don't have the impression these show the artist and title. A lot of the real cheapo players with displays just show the track number, which is better than nothing, and I think that may be what you get here.

Overall these seem like a fairly good deal if you want something entry-level. dealextreme.com has what looks like a 1gb version of the same player for $22.45 shipped, so the cost per player is a bit higher but you get 2x the memory and you're not required to buy two of them, so that might be an alternative. Remember also that Woot sold 512mb SD cards for something like $3 each just a few weeks ago.

As I said. Tey cant give them away for 99 cents on ebay and they are pink blue and black and 1gb/2gb

http://search.ebay.com/designer-vision-mp3_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

davidtb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidtb

It's it's like, The Vagina Chronicles, The Musical.. or something.

rcollman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcollman
ralphk917 wrote:My fellow WOOTers, fear not the pink. A permanent black laundry marker will hide this challenge to your masculinity (or doomed attempt to thwart your night ops).

...any thoughts on voice encoding quality & options? Must I encode at some idiotic level like 5 or 320 kbps, or may I choose my own encoding rate?

....sorry DRKWIZERD; I posted before reading your comments (scary)...

...and does anyone notice that quite a few posts don't parse? Too much Holiday Beer? Epileptic response to the bright pink player? Or did my medication sit too long in the sun?...

Perm marker, Perfect. And here I was thinking my daughter has a better shade of pink nail polish and was debating if I should go to that dark place where the women in my house retired their bottles of rejected colors or if the polish was going to plug key ports and controls. What was I thinking? This almost geek even has a collection of markers in designer colors to mark up his CD's . I could "Tag" each one, with some neato hip graphics.

Classical music on one, party music on another? How close to a buy am I ? Thanks

Rcollman

Polarmatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Polarmatt

If you show up at the gym with this, is it still ribs?

Mescalero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mescalero

If the color is the only thing holding some folks back, I'll bet you can take the case off and paint it. I've done this in the past to other cheap MP3's and it's worked out fine.

TimUSCA

quality posts: 7 Private Messages TimUSCA

They look like pregnancy test sticks!

mattlscc

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mattlscc

Dang it... why does this have to come out AFTER I've purchased my wife an MP3 player...

bfotk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bfotk

An unanswered question about "my Designer Vision MP3 player" from Yahoo! Canada.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061226211537AApJ1VK

brikbats

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brikbats
KarenMarie wrote:I would buy this as a wedding favor for my daughter's upcoming....
but I can only buy SIX max. I need at least SIXTY!
sorry woot.

Simple way to get around that: Create several more accounts in Woot. Buy your max with every account. Just be sure to list the same address for all so that YOU receive them, not the "gifted" nes.

bfotk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bfotk

On eBay: same player with 2GB currently no opening $.99 bid. Shipping $9.

Ebay link

bluebledthesea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluebledthesea

What's wrong with pink? I like pink.

Deniseibase

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deniseibase

Pink is perfect for my 7 YO daughter :-)

acchildress

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acchildress

Pepto Pink... It upsets my stomach just to see it.

WootDoggyDog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WootDoggyDog

I'm in for a pair. This is a perfect alternative for my nine year old daughter who is always complaing she needs a Nano. She loves pink for one thing (and what nine year old girl doesn't) and when (not if) she looses or breaks the first one, she'll have a spare. The two of them should keep her satisfied until I think she is ready for the more trendy and expensive iPod du jour.

Branlee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Branlee

Just so I'm clear, are they pink? I wasn't sure by the description.

BTW, I too love the Woot descriptions. Those without humor need to shop somewhere else. I mean, do they really not do they research elsewhere using Google before Wooting?

timmyvee

quality posts: 7 Private Messages timmyvee
tngu6549 wrote:it uses one AAA battery? no thanks. dont want to have to change that constantly

I beg to differ. The Sandisk mp3 player I bought on Woot uses one AAA and last for weeks. I listen to The Savage Nation podcasts every day to and from work (40 minutes each way) and the battery has lasted and lasted. Granted, that is not this player but my experience has been not all that bad with single battery players.

vagel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagel

if it were teal or purple I'd get it...

ivioo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ivioo

no pod cast:'(

would woot if there was a pod cast

Shut up and take my money...again

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut

Excellent for little girls! My 6yo will love it; I'm in for a pair...

Bendyhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendyhead
spoonce87 wrote:

A moment, just fallen it so as to I it must eliminate the battery in order to extinguish the unit.

I just busted my woot cherry on these. It was a long time coming and I feel a little dirty now. Anyone have a cigarette? The only reason I bought these was the above comment.

If I interpret it right..... "Oh doody my MP3 player has fallen from my hands...I will bend at the waist to retrieve it.... smurf there is smoke pouring from it....the BATTERY has shot out of the unit engulfed in flames!!!! JESUS HELP ME someone call the fire department!!!!"

I would have liked it more had the unit detonated. My girls should love them.

Never ask for anything Steamed in Cleveland!

dvshrt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dvshrt

What's the big deal about pink? I have a pink shirt I wear all the time. Never been a problem. Maybe it's because I'm 6'4" and 275 lbs. I'm in for a pair. Some well placed camouflage duct tape and my 8 year old Grandson will love the other one.