macki123pi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macki123pi

purchased 3 of them because I'm a baller

trentony

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trentony
Tomjones wrote:It's fall everywhere in the 48 states.

I believe that, with the addition of Alaska and Hawaii in 1959, there are actually 50 states. Unfortunately there are only 48 Woot states, though.

katt42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katt42

Our A/C went out a few weeks ago and we borrowed one of these units. It actually made our apartment hotter than if we hadn't used it at all. The amount of heat that comes off of the exhaust tubes is pretty crazy on this unit. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

mysteryman3001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mysteryman3001

Where do you get the rebate from?

halfprice06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halfprice06

my car air conditioner is broken.

could i get one of these, put it in the back seat, and plug it into an inverter for the car battery?

raubin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages raubin

Great deal, I almost bought one of these earlier in the summer to cool a server closet - but I needed something with a thinner profile to fit in the closet.

IMPORTANT: You will not get 14,000 BTU of cooling benefit from this unit - but yes, it is a 14,000 BTU unit.

Because it is single hose, as opposed to dual hose, it uses air from inside the house to cool the condenser coils and then exhaust out the hose. That air that just got pushed out of your dorm room, house, whatever - will then have to be replaced - creating negative air pressure (if your house was perfectly sealed, you'd be creating a vacuum) which draws in, you guessed it, hot air from outside.

A dual hose unit uses two motors and separate air systems (window units essentially do this too) so that air that cools the coils is drawn from, and discharged to the outside.

This doesn't mean a single hose unit doesn't work well - it does - but don't expect to have the effect of a 14,000 BTU window unit in your room. And, if it is too hot outside, you may have to use inside air to cool the coils depending on the unit you have.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
halfprice06 wrote:my car air conditioner is broken.

could i get one of these, put it in the back seat, and plug it into an inverter for the car battery?

Yes you can

minorth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages minorth

no you cant, just tried to return something and they told me no...

efarmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages efarmer
Equinox1 wrote:Damn that's powerful.

because it is powerful it needs a dedicated power circuit; reducing portability, my electritian charges $159 to install a 15amp outlet.

xSpeaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xSpeaker

Wow. I wish I hadn't just bought a ceiling fan.

jezuzfreek

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jezuzfreek

This is a great deal. i bought a 9000 btu and it cost me 300 bucks. They work great.

minorth

mysteryman3001 wrote:Where do you get the rebate from?

from the front page.. you download it..

sdcrabtree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdcrabtree

When it's 110, the fan is not going to help.

Save me from myself!

prttymf8

minorth wrote:from the front page.. you download it..

Whoa whoa! What's with the high tech talk? Page? Download? I prefer to ask questions before doing an iota of reading.

minorth

wolfwoodx wrote:hey what's woot's return to sender policy?

as in let's say i mail this to my dorm, my dorm finds out it's an ac, doesn't let me have it, and returns to sender

can i get my money back at all or what happens?

no you cant. its your forever..

raddog1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raddog1969

I disagree, take this for instance if you have central air unit , it has 2 coils one named A coil and the other named B coil which is located on the unit outside your house, if you have ever compared the air temp. comming out of the B coil you will notice it is very warm air. the A coil is located in your furnace duct and is very cold. The B coil is actually removing the hot air from your house through a transfer coil hense B coil, the A coil is under pressure with coolant, as air goes through this coil water condensis, and of course has to go someplace, hence drain. But if you live in a desert area low humidity, but hot air, then this unit will do little good. your best bet in that situation is an evaporative cooler. hope this helps.

sdcrabtree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdcrabtree

It was just 110 here in California. I don't think that qualifies as fall.

Save me from myself!

prttymf8

sdcrabtree wrote:It was just 110 here in California. I don't think that qualifies as fall.

Just goes to show you... ALL blanket statements are bad.

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

I have central AC but Im in for this to save a buck or two!

0x776F6F7421

quality posts: 5 Private Messages 0x776F6F7421
xSpeaker wrote:Wow. I wish I hadn't just bought a ceiling fan.

Actually it wil help circulate the cooled air instead of letting it collect near the floor...not a bad thing.

baseer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baseer

Awesome review all, but I'm still in for one.

raddog1969

jaykid007 wrote:I have central AC but Im in for this to save a buck or two!

Please take a look at thr wattage first!! 1100 watts is an enormous amount of power, for the BTU you get from this unit!!

den101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages den101

The US EPA has enacted regulation which will phase out the use of HCFC-22 in the near future. Air conditioning manufacturers will no longer be allowed to sell R22 equipment as of January 1, 2010. In the aftermarket service business, the allocation rights for producers who manufacture R22 will be cut each year making the remaining R22 supply potentially smaller than the service demand for the product. This could make R22 scarce in the future, and drive prices to consumers higher.

raddog1969

den101 wrote:The US EPA has enacted regulation which will phase out the use of HCFC-22 in the near future. Air conditioning manufacturers will no longer be allowed to sell R22 equipment as of January 1, 2010. In the aftermarket service business, the allocation rights for producers who manufacture R22 will be cut each year making the remaining R22 supply potentially smaller than the service demand for the product. This could make R22 scarce in the future, and drive prices to consumers higher.

Excelant Point!!

xation

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xation

I guess south Texas doesn't count. Then again, there are more Mexicans here than gringos so...

-William

peterncats

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peterncats
irastus wrote:I owned a similar unit before purchasing a house with central air - paid $500. It worked well and was easy to roll. The vent fit perfectly in my standard side-slider window. I'm in the pacific northwest and only had to empty the water tank every 3-5 days - easy. This one also has the drainage hose option - so you can set it up to continually drain outside. My only beef was noise. Sweet deal IMO.

We have a portable unit of this type, different make, at work, which works well. But it's got a fairly large (2 or 3 gallon?) removable tank to empty. At most that needs it once a day, often every couple days. I'm guessing that's what you're referring to. This unit, if you look the manual over, does not have a removable tank. Instead, it wants you to empty the tank into their supplied "drain pan", and the manual makes it sound like emptying the tank will require several such trips. That could indeed end up being a bit of a pain. Still, if Costco carries the brands slightly smaller version, it can't be all bad. I'd probably run a drain through the wall to the outside. But then again, do I really need this in Seattle, where there's at most a couple weeks of modestly hot weather every summer? (OK, this summer was hotter than usual, and maybe that's a trend...)

bikepalosverdes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bikepalosverdes
macki123pi wrote:purchased 3 of them because I'm a baller

Too bad the rebate is limited to one (1) per household.

MACK

Audikid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Audikid

People. Read the reviews, give up the cool dreams, this unit is a pile. Stay away.

WOOTS! + a few more
  • Logitech Wireless USB Music System for PC
  • Digital Blue PC Animation Station - 2 Pack
  • iRobot Roomba Discovery SE
  • Logitech Wireless Music System
  • Audiovox Portable 10” LCD TV with DVD Player & In-Car Mounting Kit
  • Digital 2-Way FRS/GMRS Wristwatch Radios
  • Logitech Bluetooth Headphone for MP3
  • Rio Cali Sport 128MB MP3 Player
  • HP Photo Paper Bundle II
  • Rockford Fosgate WiFi Car/Home Audio Bundle
  • Kensington Pro Gaming Mouse and Splinter Cell Game

andaluciat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andaluciat
coolkatz321 wrote:Some reviews to help make your decision-- appears fairly positive!

How Stuff Works

Amazon

Will continue checking...

Try this link instead:
Amazon

cloneman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cloneman

You should get more households then :D

5$ shipping for this is mad hot, heh

redpriestown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redpriestown

Wow, what a great price! I bought one the cheapest I could find back in May for about $400 that was the same quality. I know it's September, but So.Cal here just ended a nice major heat wave and we still have the rest of Sept and October to deal with (which can either get cooler or have a few weeks of 90+ temps).

Also, as someone else said, the major major MAJOR flaw I figured out with these is that they vent the hot air from the compressor outside. Not that big of a deal but thanks be to air pressure and physics, that means you're sucking in warm air from somewhere to balance what you're pumping out. Nowhere near efficient.

In terms of the "emptying buckets per day" you shouldn't since this is a self-evaporating unit. I ran my AC the past week plus and when emptying the water today to put it away, got about 3 ounces of water. May be more if you're in really humid weather, but not as bad as others are saying at all. If I hadn't bought one recently I'd so be buying this today.

Lastly: Also, Window units should be better, but if you can't install one due to window sizes or you rent and the landlord won't let you install one (I'm in both categories) this is my only option. Long live grad-housing.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Reviews mention a remote but remote is not included with this unit in the description. So price comparisons should note lack of remote control. Also I had a similar portable AC and the exhaust hose, which goes from the back of the unit to your window,does get HOT radiating more heat into the room you're trying to cool, part of the reason these are not as efficient as window units.

lorenzini

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorenzini

For all of you guys saying summer is winding down... It's not in Florida. Freaking 90 degrees before humidity kicks in.

htmoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages htmoc

where was this when we needed it last week in southern cali?

prttymf8

bikepalosverdes wrote:Too bad the rebate is limited to one (1) per household.

Ballers don't care about rebates.

direhawk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages direhawk

really bad reviews at amazon.com could be the reason for the cheap price??

wootiewootwootwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootiewootwootwoot

At Penn State, maintenance would install a window unit if you could provide a prescription from your doctor stating you are an allergy sufferer. If your doc doesn't have an issue with it (or if you really DO have allergies), it's worth a try. Best of all... it's all on their nickel!

fanzhango

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fanzhango

14,000 BTU mean this unit will require a 20amp circuit breaker. I believe most house has 10amp circuit breakesr and one 20amp breaker for the dryer plug. I have a feeling this unit will trip the circuit very often.

direhawk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages direhawk

This product did not live up to my expectations in so many ways. As mentioned, the GFI plug is ultra sensitive, you'll give up on setting the time after it trips for the 10th time in three hours, you cannot get it to shut off at desired temp, and the design of the unit is terrible. I was told by several online retailers that this unit was "drip free," although I should expect to empty it "occasionally" if I live in an especially humid environment. Well, living in Southern California (and having lived on the East Coast for a brief stint) I presumed I'd be ok with an "occasional" emptying. I was even told by one retailer that their firm was located in Southern Cal and they ran their unit for a month without needing to empty it. Well, maybe I just generate more humidity inside my home than they do. Anyway, I empty it twice a day now. Moreover, it makes a lovely beeping noise and flashing indicator to let me know it needs to be emptied, which is great to have when you're sleeping. I like waking up at 3 am to my AC flashing and beeping like a fire alarm. But I digress. Back to the design flaws of this unit- the drain plug is conveniently located so low on the unit (MAYBE an entire inch off the floor) that it takes several trips to drain it into their convenient drip pan (provided for your emptying pleasure). The exhaust hose on the unit gets very hot; I mean, hot to the touch.
Listen, there are so many cons to this unit, and this review could go on for another paragraph or 7 describing them. However, I think you get the point. If you like poor design, bad quality, false advertising and high maintenance, this just might be the unit for you. Otherwise, stay away.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 45 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

I haven't read down any further than this, but this is the second post to mention that you've got to empty these things all the time. Well....READ: "Self evaporating system." That means you don't have to empty them ever, or at least, not until you're planning on putting it away. I know what I'm talking about, too: I bought a 12000 BTU unit last summer (still using it) and it also has a self evaporating system and it never, ever needs to be emptied. This price is so insanely cheap that it's killing me. I bought mine on sale for $400 + tax, and that was (still is) a pretty deep discount for 12000 BTU unit. I don't know how this 14000 BTU unit would work, but I know that in extreme situations, these won't cool a room, but it does make things a lot more comfortable if you're sitting right in front of the unit. This one, however, only looks like it shoots the air upward, which isn't going to hit you if you're laying on the bed. Last year, we were living in the back room of our apartment and it literally stays in the mid to high 80's at night, during the hot season. Our 12000 BTU only cooled the room by 1, maybe 2 degrees, which wasn't enough to make a difference in the room, but we are able to aim the airflow over the bed, so it was very comfortable while we were directly in front of it. Now, we're living in the larger room of the same apartment, and it's a better insulated and not facing the sun, so it generally stays a lot cooler. Now, our unit cools the room a little better, but still not great. A few nights ago it was about 87 degrees inside the room, but I was able to aim the unit right over the bed and we slept like babies. I really curious to know how a 14000 BTU unit would work in our room.

In our situation, these things are absolutely indispensable and an absolute must. Another thing to consider, though, is that since the entire unit is inside the room, they can be very noisy especially on high, which makes it hard to hear the TV (especially when you don't want to turn it up too loud because other people are sleeping). Fortunately, my wife and I both have our own wireless headphones, so we can watch TV without having to be distracted by the noise. (we use them at night anyway)

Man, this price is insane....insane, I tell you!