neanea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neanea

I'm new to woot and loving every minute! I'm trying to purchase today's woot via my paypal account that's secured with my bank account but it's just not working. Could it be that Woot doesn't accept paypal except when secured by credit card? Please help. Spoke to paypal and they weren't much help. Sent me back to woot for direct answer. Thanks!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
neanea wrote:I'm new to woot and loving every minute! I'm trying to purchase today's woot via my paypal account that's secured with my bank account but it's just not working. Could it be that Woot doesn't accept paypal except when secured by credit card? Please help. Spoke to paypal and they weren't much help. Sent me back to woot for direct answer. Thanks!

Jason Toon wrote:Since we’d rather not wait around to hear back from your bank while crap is flying off of our shelves, we do not accept e-check payments from Paypal. Your Paypal account must draw funds from your existing balance or be backed by a credit card, dig?

aldengeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aldengeek
no1 wrote:

IF you have a bank account connected to your PayPal account, PayPal makes it the default. But, if we can get to PayPal during the transaction we can change the payment source. Why don't you guys send us to PayPal and let us change the payment source from bank account to balance or credit card? Other merchants who accept PayPal do this, but with Woot! its a Catch 22. I fully understand not wanting to wait for the bank transfer, but why not let us over there to change our source? PayPal will now allow us to make credit card the default or I would.

JaniceMarklin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JaniceMarklin

I'm just sorry not to be able to use Paypal. It is so convenient. I don't have to worry about sending a payment to my credit card or worse yet forgetting and getting a finance charge. On top of that I'm a big t-shirt fan and my transactions are usually small. Is there another possibility? Could you wait to send the product if we use Paypal but ship sooner if we use a credit card? No matter what, I will stay "hooked" on Woot.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
aldengeek wrote:IF you have a bank account connected to your PayPal account, PayPal makes it the default. But, if we can get to PayPal during the transaction we can change the payment source. Why don't you guys send us to PayPal and let us change the payment source from bank account to balance or credit card? Other merchants who accept PayPal do this, but with Woot! its a Catch 22. I fully understand not wanting to wait for the bank transfer, but why not let us over there to change our source? PayPal will now allow us to make credit card the default or I would.

I made my paypal default a credit card...

RenHero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RenHero

GIANT necropost.

Jason Toon wrote:
Since we’d rather not wait around to hear back from your bank while crap is flying off of our shelves, we do not accept e-check payments from Paypal. Your Paypal account must draw funds from your existing balance or be backed by a credit card, dig?

I have an existing PayPal balance of 'way more than the price of a shirt.' It still forces me to be backed by a credit card. Any answer to this in the past three years?

Sig.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

RenHero wrote:GIANT necropost.

Jason Toon wrote:
Since we’d rather not wait around to hear back from your bank while crap is flying off of our shelves, we do not accept e-check payments from Paypal. Your Paypal account must draw funds from your existing balance or be backed by a credit card, dig?

I have an existing PayPal balance of 'way more than the price of a shirt.' It still forces me to be backed by a credit card. Any answer to this in the past three years?

Yes, because of the nature of our website, (i.e.: we have a limited quantity of items, several interested customers and routinely sell out of an item within a day), we require that customers paying with PayPal provide a secondary funding source so that we can be assured that we will get payment for an item since we'll be reserving it for you. It's a fail-safe for us, and only a rare inconvenience to some customers since so many of us have the ability to hook up bank account/PayPal balance + credit card or can just choose to pay via credit card on our site.

RenHero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RenHero
agingdragqueen wrote:Yes, because of the nature of our website, (i.e.: we have a limited quantity of items, several interested customers and routinely sell out of an item within a day), we require that customers paying with PayPal provide a secondary funding source so that we can be assured that we will get payment for an item since we'll be reserving it for you. It's a fail-safe for us, and only a rare inconvenience to some customers since so many of us have the ability to hook up bank account/PayPal balance + credit card or can just choose to pay via credit card on our site.

This isn't an e-check, the money is in the PayPal account and the transfer of funds will be instantaneous. Never have I heard of companies refusing this instantaneous transaction before but hey, I guess Woot doesn't want my money, knowing it's not attached to a credit card.

Sig.

theholycow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theholycow

I found this thread while looking for a way to make sure woot always uses my credit card backup funding source instead of my checking account. This thread doesn't make it clear if woot will use that source first, just that woot checks for the existence of that source.

For anyone else who wants to be sure:
1. Login to PayPal.
2. Click "Profile" at the top of the page (under "My Account).
3. Click "My preapproved payments"
4. Click "Woot, Inc."
5. Click "Change", on the last line which is "Backup Funding Source".

jayasri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayasri
theholycow wrote:I found this thread while looking for a way to make sure woot always uses my credit card backup funding source instead of my checking account. This thread doesn't make it clear if woot will use that source first, just that woot checks for the existence of that source.

For anyone else who wants to be sure:
1. Login to PayPal.
2. Click "Profile" at the top of the page (under "My Account).
3. Click "My preapproved payments"
4. Click "Woot, Inc."
5. Click "Change", on the last line which is "Backup Funding Source".

thanks for the instructions. very helpful.

dolemite007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolemite007

Just found this thread when I was looking for a reason why the heck Woot wants me to have my PayPal account backed by a credit card when I try to make a purchase. That kinda sucks.

The reason I have a PayPal account is because I don't want to use my credit card on internet transactions. My PayPal account always has money in it, and the transfer is instantaneous. Your claim that you require a credit card since you're "reserving" the item for us has ZERO merit. The person pays, they get the shirt. If they don't, they don't. It makes no difference whatsoever where the payment is coming from. If they have no money in their PayPal account, the transaction shouldn't be able to be completed. Thousands of other sites do this without a problem.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no way I'm using my credit card, and that my PayPal account is brimming with money that I guess you guys just don't want. Too bad, but you're not making a compelling arguement as to why I should allow you to keep my credit card number on file in this day and age of identity theft.

*EDIT* Was this post a little jerky-sounding? If so, I'm sorry...I'm just upset, 'cause I really want to buy your shirts. Can't something be worked out that doesn't involve credit cards?

jnevil

quality posts: 967 Private Messages jnevil
dolemite007 wrote:Just found this thread when I was looking for a reason why the heck Woot wants me to have my PayPal account backed by a credit card when I try to make a purchase. That kinda sucks.

The reason I have a PayPal account is because I don't want to use my credit card on internet transactions. My PayPal account always has money in it, and the transfer is instantaneous. Your claim that you require a credit card since you're "reserving" the item for us has ZERO merit. The person pays, they get the shirt. If they don't, they don't. It makes no difference whatsoever where the payment is coming from. If they have no money in their PayPal account, the transaction shouldn't be able to be completed. Thousands of other sites do this without a problem.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no way I'm using my credit card, and that my PayPal account is brimming with money that I guess you guys just don't want. Too bad, but you're not making a compelling arguement as to why I should allow you to keep my credit card number on file in this day and age of identity theft.

*EDIT* Was this post a little jerky-sounding? If so, I'm sorry...I'm just upset, 'cause I really want to buy your shirts. Can't something be worked out that doesn't involve credit cards?

When you initially set up your PayPal billing agreement, you are required to use a credit card. However, after you have the billing agreement set up, you can login to PayPal and change the funding source.

dolemite007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolemite007
jnevil wrote:When you initially set up your PayPal billing agreement, you are required to use a credit card. However, after you have the billing agreement set up, you can login to PayPal and change the funding source.

Yeah, I figured this out after my *waaah* post above. I stupidly thought that I was required to give Woot my credit card info instead of PayPal. I've since set that up and have happily Wooted 18 times since.

Thanks.

jcharpentier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcharpentier

I haven't been able to find an answer to this, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

Every time I place an order from woot, it creates a new billing agreement. At first, I thought that there might be a different billing agreement for each site (shirt, sellout, kids, main, etc.)

But now I am up to nearly 20 "billing agreements" with woot!

What gives?

tentsitter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tentsitter

hi! I opted to pay with paypal - tried to start a new acct - filled out all required info - clicked the golden "Agree and Continue" button and Voila! - nothing happens. And the password disappears. Any suggestions?

fierytresses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fierytresses

I have a smart connect line of credit with paypal. I tried to pay for an item and the payment was denied. Smart connect is my default payment option. Why does it deny?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
fierytresses wrote:I have a smart connect line of credit with paypal. I tried to pay for an item and the payment was denied. Smart connect is my default payment option. Why does it deny?

Hi there,
We have no access to your account and couldn't specify what went haywire, but if you contact service@woot.com, they will be able to assist.

Update: So it turns out after checking with Member Services, we do not accept Smart Connect. You'll need a bank account or a credit card used with the PayPal account. Hope this helps!

I'm just hanging out, really.

hmagnan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmagnan

I have had two different paypal accounts declined. Both are in good standing. One is attached to a billmelater account, another to my checking account. What's up?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

hmagnan wrote:I have had two different paypal accounts declined. Both are in good standing. One is attached to a billmelater account, another to my checking account. What's up?

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with ordering. We don't have the ability to see why your account is getting denied through PayPal, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.