wizard7926


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
KtCallista wrote:Yeah! Its good to see you back. How is South Carolina, haven't been there in about 6 years. . . dang we need to go visit again.



Whew, it was gorgeous! We flew down Thurs night and everything was perfect -- high 60s/low 70s, light jacket or sweatshirt weather, and got to hang out on the beaches and boardwalks and all that jazz.. played golf on Friday morning, beautiful course called Dunes West.

We did NOT want to get on our plane back to Philadelphia on Sunday afternoon, after hearing about the lovely sleet and ice storm back home.. we just about threw away our tickets! Luckily, the plane was delayed about an hour and a half, so we could stay just a little bit more.. then we were in holdovers for about half an hour up in the air.. all told, our 1:45p flight ended up getting in after 5:30p.

Still, I'd easily do it all again. We used to beach/golf down there when I was a lad (not THAT long ago, but..) and I'd love to make it more of a tradition to get down there again. Now that I've got psuedo-family there, no excuses!

[MOD: No advertising please]

dave bug


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug

All right, I'm going to try a new thing here, and I think this may cause a bit of confusion. I'll be putting the winners in this same thread, redoing the blog post and updating the title.

My main concern is that a fair number of people might watch for a new RSS feed entry before they check out the site again, so they'd miss it. I'll have to think about that a bit, but for now I'm going to give this a try. It'll likely be a couple more hours here, but you should get your results today.

wizard7926


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
dave bug wrote:All right, I'm going to try a new thing here, and I think this may cause a bit of confusion. I'll be putting the winners in this same thread, redoing the blog post and updating the title.

My main concern is that a fair number of people might watch for a new RSS feed entry before they check out the site again, so they'd miss it. I'll have to think about that a bit, but for now I'm going to give this a try. It'll likely be a couple more hours here, but you should get your results today.



Interesting, thanks for the update.

Does this have anything to do with WootBot posting multiple threads regarding winners?

[MOD: No advertising please]

dave bug


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
wizard7926 wrote:Interesting, thanks for the update.

Does this have anything to do with WootBot posting multiple threads regarding winners?



Well, partly it just feels like conversations are already going on in here, and there's no need to sever them and have them have to start up again in a new thread. It makes this thread long, but it's fairly easy to just click to the end of the list.

Also, it'll clean up the front page blog list links a bit. Having 2 for every contest is a bit cluttered there.

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
wizard7926 wrote:Whew, it was gorgeous! We flew down Thurs night and everything was perfect -- high 60s/low 70s, light jacket or sweatshirt weather, and got to hang out on the beaches and boardwalks and all that jazz.. played golf on Friday morning, beautiful course called Dunes West.

We did NOT want to get on our plane back to Philadelphia on Sunday afternoon, after hearing about the lovely sleet and ice storm back home.. we just about threw away our tickets! Luckily, the plane was delayed about an hour and a half, so we could stay just a little bit more.. then we were in holdovers for about half an hour up in the air.. all told, our 1:45p flight ended up getting in after 5:30p.

Still, I'd easily do it all again. We used to beach/golf down there when I was a lad (not THAT long ago, but..) and I'd love to make it more of a tradition to get down there again. Now that I've got psuedo-family there, no excuses!

My only niece is on the Georgia side of the state, but we haven't been to see her yet. We are planning a half-way there meet up for next Thanksgiving in MN. I've only ever been to SC in the spring and fall. I hear those are the best times to go. Orc lived there for 9 years. I love heading over to the coast while we are there. Orc knows the turf a lot better than me, but still its a fun visit. For us our last flight home had a 9 hour layover in Phoenix it was a really long day (Total travel time was 18 hours or something like that). SC is just about as far from here as you can get and still be in the continental US.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

wizard7926


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
dave bug wrote:Well, partly it just feels like conversations are already going on in here, and there's no need to sever them and have them have to start up again in a new thread. It makes this thread long, but it's fairly easy to just click to the end of the list.

Also, it'll clean up the front page blog list links a bit. Having 2 for every contest is a bit cluttered there.




How about editing the first post of each contest and adding a direct link to the results bulletin once it's ready? That way, you could click a contest, and immediately be able to access the results in the first post. That would be much easier than having to wade through discussion trying to locate it.

Maybe even edit the first post to include the results? Don't know which would be best..

[MOD: No advertising please]

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
dave bug wrote:Well, partly it just feels like conversations are already going on in here, and there's no need to sever them and have them have to start up again in a new thread. It makes this thread long, but it's fairly easy to just click to the end of the list.

Also, it'll clean up the front page blog list links a bit. Having 2 for every contest is a bit cluttered there.

I like the idea. . . I've kinda wondered about not having the separate winners thread too.

I agree with Wiz though, definitely need to be able to find the winners quickly later.

Could just post a link to the winners in the first post.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

wizard7926


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926

Something like this...

dave bug wrote:<snip>

... Post your entry here by 11:59 PM CST on Sunday, December 2, 2007. Prizes are $20/$50/$100 for 3rd/2nd/1st. The rules and criteria for winning: our panel of volunteer judges can and will make stuff up as it goes along. Use Photoshop, linoleum blocks, pastels, MSPaint, cave painting, tattoos, tribal scarification, whatever, but it’ll only be judged if it’s visible in our forums as a jpg, gif, or png. As we are fond of saying, try to keep your maximum width to 450px. If you need a place to host your pictures, try www.imageshack.ws or www.photobucket.com. We have no connection to either, but they seem free and easy to use. And if you want us to be sure your entry was indeed your work, post links to your source images. The more sure we are that you did your own work, the more likely we are to consider it for a prize.

UPDATE 12/05/07: Click here to see the results!

digg | del.icio.us | reddit
[MOD: No advertising please]

dave bug


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
KtCallista wrote:I like the idea. . . I've kinda wondered about not having the separate winners thread too.

I agree with Wiz though, definitely need to be able to find the winners quickly later.

Could just post a link to the winners in the first post.



Yeah, I edited the first post to get the winners in there. Hopefully that worked.
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1770360

wizard7926


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
dave bug wrote:Yeah, I edited the first post to get the winners in there. Hopefully that worked.
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1770360



'gratz, winnerz.

Shunned on my big homecoming stint! See if I ever come back!

.. just kidding, of course I'll be back! .. I just hope it's sooner than the last time I said that!

[MOD: No advertising please]

JoeDeeDee


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee

Congrats winners!

Once you've figured out where the winners are posted, come on over to Dodgeball #57 and make a holiday gift for a fellow wooter! Only a few hours left to enter!

wizard7926


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
JoeDeeDee wrote:Congrats winners!

Once you've figured out where the winners are posted, come on over to Dodgeball #57 and make a holiday gift for a fellow wooter! Only a few hours left to enter!



D'oh! I'll try and get over there tonight! I've got an oldie but goodie to dust off..

[MOD: No advertising please]

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
JoeDeeDee wrote:Congrats winners!

Once you've figured out where the winners are posted, come on over to Dodgeball #57 and make a holiday gift for a fellow wooter! Only a few hours left to enter!

I want to find time, I want to have an idea. . .ohh what a week

Congrats winners, Congrats judges. . . it was fun to watch.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

fyrefall


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyrefall

Congrats winners!! Great entries this round, lots of fun ones.
Laytham, really liked yours, well deserved!

quickstepblues


quality posts: 0 Private Messages quickstepblues


Always the bridesmaid..never the bride!! I really thought mine might have been in the top 3 this time *cries*

GodfatherND


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND

Congrats, winners! The monkey prize eludes me once again.

tehpwnerer


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tehpwnerer
quickstepblues wrote:I really thought mine might have been in the top 3 this time *cries*



Yeah, I was sure you had at least third nailed down. Great chopping! It took me 31 contests to get my first money winner. :P

Thanks for the HM, and congrats winners!

binarygeek


quality posts: 0 Private Messages binarygeek

thanks for the HM! (although I personally liked my apple entry better.)

and congrats to all the other winners.

It was a good contest with a lot of great entries.

digitalecho


quality posts: 0 Private Messages digitalecho

Congrats everyone, and Thanks for the 2nd

This was a fun contest, but... Dave did a nice job explaining the theme of the contest but it seems like a lot of people missed the point and went for something that was just play-on-words and the like. I am just curious (since I am a full-time advertising/marketing person...) is the concept of branding and corporate agendas generally lost on people outside the industry?

2nd (x6), 3rd (x2), HM (x4), CCC (x1)... still in need of a top chop!

laytham


quality posts: 1 Private Messages laytham

Yay! First entry, first win! I should probably retire while I'm on top, but now that I've gotten the fever I'll probably enter every one -- and never win again.

Congrats to all the other winners, there were some really good ones.

peglegwookie


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peglegwookie

Great work everyone, I think there were many great entries. I especially enjoy the monkey prize winner this week. GJ all!

easy1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages easy1

Way to go, laytham! Congrats to digitalecho and philliam25, too! Great chops this week!

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Anyone know if there's a 'Secret Santa' again this year? That was some fun last year.

plinth


quality posts: 2 Private Messages plinth

Nicely done winners!

And Yessss! My streak begins again!


Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
tgentry wrote:Anyone know if there's a 'Secret Santa' again this year? That was some fun last year.


there have been hints of it in the Dodgeball thread, so I'm expecting it myself.

intaglio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages intaglio
tgentry wrote:Anyone know if there's a 'Secret Santa' again this year? That was some fun last year.


I hope so. I missed out on it last year.

ibpaul3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibpaul3

I thought my IRS one would have made it.

servantwithattitude


quality posts: 0 Private Messages servantwithattitude

Thanks for the HM, and congratulations to the winners. It was a fun contest!

howler11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages howler11
fyrefall wrote:

Sources:
Hospital



This is orignally a hospital in India named Sharda Hospital