vidmakr

quality posts: 18 Private Messages vidmakr

My buddy bought one of these on the last woot off, he loves it too. It said refurb (rox0rz!), but the box looked BRAND NEW!!.

Soccerbhai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Soccerbhai
tiga31328 wrote:Does anyone have one of these, any comments? I have a SlingBox and it's great, this looks like it's about the same, possibly some more features, but I wonder about the interface to use it, and the quality.

-Patrick

I bought one during the last wootoff. My TV has been in repair for a month now and I use the PCTV to go to watch my HD cable box pretty much anywhere I in my house. A few things: 69.99 is better that the 90 i payed for it.

1. When at home the qaulity is near HD with the component input, and you can record onto your computer by simply pressing the record button.

2. If you want to watch from your job, school, etc. The quality is kinda bad as is the audio. To me the slingbox actually looks a little better but my slingbox does not support HD.

3. The pinnacle software is ok, very simple, but you cant change any network settings to change the quality of the video when watching from a remote location. Basically, Simple with no tweaks for it, although i havent really looked for any yet. I haven't tried any other software and I have Win XP. The wireless setup was easy as the setup wizard took care of that.

Hope that helps.

blaze1984

quality posts: 5 Private Messages blaze1984

I'm a Steelers / Penguins fan living in a city that is not Pittsburgh. Would this device make it possible for me to watch games from Pittsburgh assuming i hooked this up at my parents house in Pittsburgh? Could that mean that I don't have to go to a bar to watch Steelers games, and would actually be able to watch Penguins games?

vidmakr

quality posts: 18 Private Messages vidmakr
blaze1984 wrote:I'm a Steelers / Penguins fan living in a city that is not Pittsburgh. Would this device make it possible for me to watch games from Pittsburgh assuming i hooked this up at my parents house in Pittsburgh? Could that mean that I don't have to go to a bar to watch Steelers games, and would actually be able to watch Penguins games?

Yup, I watched the Bucs play while in North Carolina over the holidays, it was pretty sweet!

responseataol

quality posts: 1 Private Messages responseataol

will this work with a ppc mobile device? (sprint mogul)

Driver88

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Driver88
blaze1984 wrote:I'm a Steelers / Penguins fan living in a city that is not Pittsburgh. Would this device make it possible for me to watch games from Pittsburgh assuming i hooked this up at my parents house in Pittsburgh? Could that mean that I don't have to go to a bar to watch Steelers games, and would actually be able to watch Penguins games?

Yep

sofiapaez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sofiapaez

It seems like a great deal, it’s for $250 at Pinnacle’s website. I guess I’ll have no better chance

CanyonRun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CanyonRun
responseataol wrote:will this work with a ppc mobile device? (sprint mogul)

doubt it...

jaoh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaoh

Can it work backward?
If i play a downloaded movie on a PC, can i watch it through TV?

akurtz85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akurtz85

Driver88

jaoh wrote:Can it work backward?
If i play a downloaded movie on a PC, can i watch it through TV?

Nope, only the other way - watching TV on your PC

BrBea

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BrBea

Do I need a dvr if I have this? Couldn't I just record (and rerecord what I want with this unit?)

It Looks like a "poor man's" dvr/dvd.

Someone more knowledgeable than me needs to give me some insight.

So far:
First Woot 1/18/05
well over 100 different Woot purchases
.....and STILL no Bandolier of Carrots!

Driver88

BrBea wrote:Do I need a dvr if I have this? Couldn't I just record (and rerecord what I want with this unit?)

Depends, you could record with this device to a computer at home but you would need to watch it back on your computer...

malgon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malgon

I actually own one and it's not so bad.
it was really useful when I was out side of the county and I didn't want to miss any of my shows..
it's also useful when you're bored in class and want to watch tv on your laptop..

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

GIve us the opposite of this, Woot!! I want a cheap and easy way to get the content on my PC to our HDTV (as well as be able to surf the net on it) via component cables.

Foaming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Foaming

Pinnacle still hasn't come out with non-beta drivers for the HD card I bought in October. I'm not buying any more of their hardware until they do.

Soccerbhai

BrBea wrote:Do I need a dvr if I have this? Couldn't I just record (and rerecord what I want with this unit?)

You do not need a dvr. You can record the incoming signal to your PC. Also there is no TUNER on the device. It only takes composite/svideo/Component inputs. So whatever you are watching on the Cable box/dvd player at the current time will be played on your PC.

harry12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages harry12

Bought this item from WOOT last August for $150. I'm running WinXP on my desktop and XP Pro on the laptop, using Pinnacle's latest software ( not Hava ) and a Linksys wireless setup. Works great on either PC with the Pinnacle PCTV in 'local' or 'remote'. Couldn't be more satisfied.
My daughter thought it was kinda neat that I could watch my TV at her house, on the laptop.
Oh yeah... Just have the built in mobo video. No hotsy card!

emeraldhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emeraldhi
RetiredNoow wrote:Nothing Pinnacle sells works. Stay away from any Pinnicle product

I have both the slingbox (from woot) and this Pinnacle....although my satellite receiver model is not listed, the slingbox at least offers a "generic" remote control....the Pinnacle doesn't have my receiver LISTED, let alone having ANY model of this receiver brand. Make sure you look at their site for supported cable box/tv/vcr/satellite, etc, otherwise you'll be stuck with whatever channel your tv is on unless you change the channel via the tv remote....which makes this product useless when not at home.

eeneilson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eeneilson

What all hook up does this require? I mean can I just hook it into my Hughes direct tv satellite box or?

77 .woots
33 sellout.woots
10 shirt.woots
99% Satisfied

jaoh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaoh

Since it uses the 802.11g and there are only 3,6,11 channels, i guess it could interference current wireless network... anyone?

Also, what happen if i want to watch different channel then one is playing on a TV?

Driver88

eeneilson wrote:What all hook up does this require? I mean can I just hook it into my Hughes direct tv satellite box or?

Yep, it will work with that stb - i've got the same one...

eeneilson

emeraldhi wrote:I have both the slingbox (from woot) and this Pinnacle....although my satellite receiver model is not listed, the slingbox at least offers a "generic" remote control....the Pinnacle doesn't have my receiver LISTED, let alone having ANY model of this receiver brand. Make sure you look at their site for supported cable box/tv/vcr/satellite, etc, otherwise you'll be stuck with whatever channel your tv is on unless you change the channel via the tv remote....which makes this product useless when not at home.

Wait so say the tv is on channel 230 and your hookup is supported can you watch say channel 250 while the tv is on channel 230 or would you have to change it to channel 250 to view it?

77 .woots
33 sellout.woots
10 shirt.woots
99% Satisfied

eeneilson

Driver88 wrote:Yep, it will work with that stb - i've got the same one...

How does it connect to the satellite box? Audio video cable or?

77 .woots
33 sellout.woots
10 shirt.woots
99% Satisfied

fredtt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fredtt

I've been waiting for one of these. :-) Need something in the office, can't afford the stupid one year contract for Time Warner Business since I won't be there for over 6 months.

jstires

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jstires

when are you going to learn? Pinnacle has THE WORST software on the planet!! THE WORST, AS IN THERE IS NONE WORSTER-ER-ER. If anyone made worse software, then THEY would be the worst, but PINNACLE is the absolute pinnacle of THE WORST!!

derekspudich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekspudich
Camoli wrote:Agree. It's basically a gadget that most people don't need. Plus, the claims are it's wireless. I don't think so as it will not receive wireless HD channels from all the FREE HD channels in your area using an ATSC digital tuner. In my opinion, it's pretty much worthless and a gimmick for those whom don't even know what HD is...

Dude, I hope your joking, because if you are serious you have no idea what this item is supposed to do. Everything it clams to do, it does. It has absolutely no reason to have a ATSC digital tuner or any other tuner for that matter. one that smells of Elderberries.

D Spud

Driver88

jaoh wrote:Since it uses the 802.11g and there are only 3,6,11 channels, i guess it could interference current wireless network... anyone?

Also, what happen if i want to watch different channel then one is playing on a TV?

No problems with my home network, the set up was easy and i haven't had any problems with my wireless network. If you want to watch a different channel, then just change the channel

Driver88

eeneilson wrote:How does it connect to the satellite box? Audio video cable or?

You can use the included cables, composite video and L/R audio

eeneilson

Driver88 wrote:No problems with my home network, the set up was easy and i haven't had any problems with my wireless network. If you want to watch a different channel, then just change the channel

Does the channel have to be the same on the tv as on the pc? like if you change the channel on the pc dopes it change the channel on the tv?

77 .woots
33 sellout.woots
10 shirt.woots
99% Satisfied

mike325g

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mike325g
kcmark wrote:GIve us the opposite of this, Woot!! I want a cheap and easy way to get the content on my PC to our HDTV (as well as be able to surf the net on it) via component cables.

Pinnacle has had a product to do this for years! It works exceptionally well, and from any computer on your home network. The kids movies , picturesand music are on their computer and my movies, pictures and better music is on mine. We access it all from the main TV in the living room. Easy to set up and use
The product is the Pinnacle Show Center 250 and is FANTASTIC!!!!!
199.00 on their website : http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Digital+Media+Adapters/Digital+Media+Player/ShowCenter+250+HD.htm

Driver88

eeneilson wrote:Does the channel have to be the same on the tv as on the pc? like if you change the channel on the pc dopes it change the channel on the tv?

Yes, but depends on how it is set up - if you hook it up to the stb that is hooked to your tv then it will have to be the same channel. if you hook it up directly to cable then you can change channels independently...

emeraldhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emeraldhi
eeneilson wrote:Wait so say the tv is on channel 230 and your hookup is supported can you watch say channel 250 while the tv is on channel 230 or would you have to change it to channel 250 to view it?

It functions as a "remote" control to whatever you have it hooked up to. Not sure if you can have one channel on the tv and be watching a different one on your PC via the pinnacle, I was referring to being able to change channels "remotely", which you CAN'T do if your component is not on the list

eeneilson

emeraldhi wrote:It functions as a "remote" control to whatever you have it hooked up to. Not sure if you can have one channel on the tv and be watching a different one on your PC via the pinnacle, I was referring to being able to change channels "remotely", which you CAN'T do if your component is not on the list

Does Pinnacle have a published list of supported satellite boxes on the web? Iv been looking for one but havent had any luck

77 .woots
33 sellout.woots
10 shirt.woots
99% Satisfied

Driver88

hamstar2002 wrote:Okay, I see that different people have different opinions of the Slingbox versus the Pinnacle. And I see a pretty large difference in prices...

Sooo, what do you all think of a new Slingbox Media Pro for $179.99 versus this refurbished Pinnacle PCTV???

http://www.lootpig.com/

I like the wireless capability of the pctv to go, it also has hd built in and the ability to record shows to your pc - the slingbox pro doesn't do any of these...

bill875

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bill875

From reading the Hava forums (this is made by Hava/Monsoon) some folks were saying that this unit relies on Hava's company servers to be online and functioning for remote viewing over the Internet to work. What happens if Hava/Monsoon go out of business? How will we connect to this thing? With a Slingbox, you connect right to your unit without needing SlingMedia to be in business. So unless they have changed something in their firmware to allow a direct connection, there may be a slight risk to purchasing this unit. I was so tempted until I read that it isn't a direct connection.

Soccerbhai

FYI this picture actually shows that it has a coax cable input. Bu I don't beleive it really does. Mine does not and now I can't remember if these were the same pics that woot used during the last woot off. That is false advertising. If this actually has them then a better deal.

eeneilson

How do you sync to your computer? Do you go to a webpage and enter a password or?

77 .woots
33 sellout.woots
10 shirt.woots
99% Satisfied

eeneilson

eeneilson wrote:How do you sync to your computer? Do you go to a webpage and enter a password or?

I mean in order to view the channel how do you do it from the comp? I mean there has to be something that keeps a million other people from connecting to your tv

77 .woots
33 sellout.woots
10 shirt.woots
99% Satisfied

datadame

quality posts: 3 Private Messages datadame

FWIW, another alternative could be the Slingbox Tuner which, unlike the Slingbox Pro and Slingbox AV, can use a straight coax connection right out of the wall. I haven't seen it in stores, but they're on Amazon for $105. That's what I need since I don't have, and don't plan to get any time soon, anything like a cable box, HDTV, etc -- just wanted to use my "extended basic" cable. I haven't hooked it up yet, but have high hopes.

One thing the Sling can do that I'm looking forward to is send the TV signal to my phone (granted, with a $30 add-on). Does anyone know whether the Pinnacle can do that?