WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Hello again Wooters. Thank you tremendously for your support, energy and specific suggestions to my introductory blog post last week. Someday I suspect I’ll get pinned down and have to admit that everything ‘smart’ I thought of was a suggestion from our community, but until that time let’s keep that between you and me.

Today I’d like to expand the platform a bit and share our appetite at woot for listening in to what other people are saying about us. Eavesdropping is fun. You’d think our own 2 million post community forums would suffice, but it’s really an extra layer of fun to know what people said elsewhere when they weren’t kissing our butts or shouting at us directly.

First up, a quick thank you to Evan Williams – co founder of Twitter Evan – for mentioning us again as the default answer to what is likely the most repetitive question he has ever faced (this time from Michael Arrington of TechCrunch): What is your revenue model? (watch or text-search woot) Evan, To help make your interview time more efficient, may I suggest an even simpler response: “Twitter. Woot.com. Profit. Any Questions?” – you know, with kind of a “this is your brain on drugs” arrogant style to it… On the other hand, the reciprocal of this arrangement actually sounds a bit better to me. Is the Woot channel valuable Twitter content? Do we want Woot Members subsidizing Twitter or Twitter subsidizing Woot Members? Let’s just have Amazon subsidize everyone.

Two guys and a Jets bucket: WineDavid – managing partner from Wine.Woot – is a guest on Gary Vaynerchuk’s Wine Library TV Thunder Show #501. Awesome show and groundbreaking collaboration guys – keep the great ideas coming. If this is your first viewing of Gary’s show, you’ve been missing out. He’s been featured on Late Night with Conan O’Brien, has published his first Wine Guide and has quite a loyal following. I love his down-to-earth (sometimes literally) tasting comparisons.

Shirt designer jimiyo (his Americana is #13/27 on the shirt.woot reckoning chart) posted a nice resource on Shirt Contests and his endeavors with a few of them. If you’re not familiar with the independent/contest driven shirt scene, you might find this “from the artist perspective” resource to be quite enlightening. Perhaps you agree with his commentary, perhaps you don’t, but it just doesn’t get much better in terms of direct/unbiased artist feedback. Also, it continues to amaze me how subtly subjective shirt design is: it’s virtually impossible to not get caught up believing your views are universal.

So the other day I found that this Jason Lee Miller guy keeps squatting on google searches containing Jason Lee Miller. I find it quite annoying – I mean what if I’m not looking for him when I search for Jason Lee Miller? Also, I’m afraid Wootbot wants to kick his ass and we can’t seem to talk him down.

Woot staff finds many mentions via Google’s Blog Search as well as people sending them in to our media email account. (In fact Google’s RSS subscription of that search is my most used Feed.)

It’s particularly fun to read group introductions and then people’s reactions upon finding out about woot – generally just “WTF” or “Wow, love it.” but just to see the word of mouth in action is really a delight. 

Have you discussed woot on your blog or on a board you’re active in? Share a link in the comments so we can check it out.

t3chvest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t3chvest

We talk about woot on my bass forums relatively often. Here you go.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3925418

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
t3chvest wrote:We talk about woot on my bass forums relatively often. Here you go.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3925418

looks like that's in the members area. there are several bass players on the woot staff that'll possibly be interested in signing up though - thanks!

(assuming it's not bass fishing that is..)

dogmasta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dogmasta

I wrote a post about shirt.woot.com a while back. I love 'em - I've got like a dozen shirts from you guys now. Here's the link: http://www.ferretarmy.com/2007/11/06/shirtwootcom-made-in-america-and-darn-cool-too/

http://www.blaqdesign.com

Snapster

dogmasta wrote:I wrote a post about shirt.woot.com a while back. I love 'em - I've got like a dozen shirts from you guys now. Here's the link: http://www.ferretarmy.com/2007/11/06/shirtwootcom-made-in-america-and-darn-cool-too/

nice - thanks for the favorable review and happy first bday.

njcrash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njcrash

I know I've promoted Woot and my WootAlerts on my blog in the past. I always got a kick out of talking with people who discovered the site on their own, and then telling them that I'm the person who started the original WootAlerts.

BTW, I don't know if you heard, but I am ending the service at the end of the month 9I guess this is the first public announcement of it). Its been fun, but its taking too much time to manage and I think its time to move on.

-Russell

-Mr. WootAlert

Creator of the ORIGINAL WootAlert Service (http://wootalert.opensight.net), but no longer running.

dkaufman1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkaufman1

I wrote an article in my syndicated column and blog about a great woot purchase that was actually a Random Cr*p from back in the day. Yeah I have been a customer that long.

Techlife on Woot

One other note....I have used woot to great effect to raise money for some charitable work. How? I think that may be a future column. ;-)

Snapster

njcrash wrote:I know I've promoted Woot and my WootAlerts on my blog in the past. I always got a kick out of talking with people who discovered the site on their own, and then telling them that I'm the person who started the original WootAlerts.

BTW, I don't know if you heard, but I am ending the service at the end of the month 9I guess this is the first public announcement of it). Its been fun, but its taking too much time to manage and I think its time to move on.

-Russell

Hey Russell. Great job on the wootalerts service you've run the past 3+ years now. I know many people have been very happy with the daily email service you provided and your initiative helped us form our helpful stance on third party developer support.

I should have probably linked directly to our twitter feed directly above - if you have unlimited SMS on your cell phone, it's another great way to stay updated http://twitter.com/woot

Snapster

dkaufman1 wrote:I wrote an article in my syndicated column and blog about a great woot purchase that was actually a Random Cr*p from back in the day. Yeah I have been a customer that long.

Techlife on Woot

One other note....I have used woot to great effect to raise money for some charitable work. How? I think that may be a future column. ;-)

Ah yes - the Charge-it yellow battery bricks. It's too bad the woot history only seems to go back now to February 2006 or I could link them.. I remember making a "dissection" blog post where we broke it apart to show off the batteries inside. boy it's actually interesting to find no evidence of them even exists on google. I wish I had saved more of those myself, I've bought many batteries since.

thanks for the great mention

sthnbelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sthnbelle

There's a link to you guys on this http://www.isianmtu.com/, (sorry, my linky skills aren't so hot [modedit - linked]) plus we're all so frustrated at trying to get BOCs that we've started sending random junk to each other as a panacea to losing out yet again....search on the general discussion page for "the forum Blogging Old CEO(it's new, but not Woot)"

We've converted at least a few to Woot-hood, too.

t3chvest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t3chvest
Snapster wrote:looks like that's in the members area. there are several bass players on the woot staff that'll possibly be interested in signing up though - thanks!

(assuming it's not bass fishing that is..)

Doh, I didn't realize the searches were members only! Here's a direct link to one of them for ya. Though, it's mostly just us complaining that nothing we wanted was coming up yet ;) I did end up ordering 3 things from that Woot off though, iirc.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1976126

Snapster

t3chvest wrote:Doh, I didn't realize the searches were members only! Here's a direct link to one of them for ya. Though, it's mostly just us complaining that nothing we wanted was coming up yet ;) I did end up ordering 3 things from that Woot off though, iirc.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1976126

ah - thank you - great stuff. I nominate that a worthy training example of all woot-off conversation.

especially good: "There is obviously a culture of people out there with faster F5 skills than my own."

allawayr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allawayr
Snapster wrote:ah - thank you - great stuff. I nominate that a worthy training example of all woot-off conversation.

especially good: "There is obviously a culture of people out there with faster F5 skills than my own."

I don't really have anything to contribute to the ongoing conversation, but it seems like someone has been listening to too much Bowie.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

That jimiyo guy sounds like ajerk.

Snapster

jimiyo wrote:That jimiyo guy sounds like ajerk.

certainly no worse than that matt rutledge tool.

thanks for your continued insight, and for sharing shirt.woot with other designers.

wow, I'd never noticed your join date before, old timer.

jimiyo

Snapster wrote:certainly no worse than that matt rutledge tool.

thanks for your continued insight, and for sharing shirt.woot with other designers.

wow, I'd never noticed your join date before, old timer.

thank you. whos matt rutledge?

aye... ive been a long time woot fan. used to be an addiction waiting to see what nifty electronics they would put up for sale. ive even bought a crappy Charge Brick. but i opened it and used the batteries so i wouldnt say its all that crappy.

Snapster

jimiyo wrote:thank you. whos matt rutledge?

aye... ive been a long time woot fan. used to be an addiction waiting to see what nifty electronics they would put up for sale. ive even bought a crappy Charge Brick. but i opened it and used the batteries so i wouldnt say its all that crappy.

alright - another happy charge-it customer. hope you didn't cut yourself opening the thing - boy were they sealed well.

I'm matt (http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=5299)

jimiyo

Snapster wrote:alright - another happy charge-it customer. hope you didn't cut yourself opening the thing - boy were they sealed well.

I'm matt (http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=5299)

llo! ! !
Founder and CEO.
Excuse my ignorance.
Curtsy.

Was the description too harsh? I suppose I cant back pedal now. Hopefully a equally weighted perspective.

As far as the brick, I recall beyond breaking through the plastic, the rubber cement holding the batteries together was a bigger pain. Also a unicorn flew out after I opened it, which was pretty awesome. I would recommend it to anyone.

Cymbalta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cymbalta

I will pay lots and lots of money to watch Wootbot beat up Jason Lee Miller. When's the fight?

Snapster

jimiyo wrote:
Was the description too harsh? I suppose I cant back pedal now. Hopefully a equally weighted perspective.

heh, yeah - don't go kissing our butts now - that's the whole reason for enjoyment finding commentary elsewhere - it's generally unbiased (or at least less biased by us standing there). I think they are very valid points to make especially from your professional artist perspective. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think it was worth sharing to our general audience.

it's interesting to me watching the evolving taste and standards of our shirt.woot audience - I'm along for the ride too. I'd like to think that we're pretty early on in that evolution here at our 1 year birthday.

dkaufman1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkaufman1

I remember the rubber cement trapped the Pegasus wing and I now have a slightly injured flying horse from those batteries. That didn't make this column, but maybe another one. We should get our unicorn and pegasus together for a playdate.

Snapster your join date is a few days before me.

I'm so old school I have a Woot Certificate and a Woot shirt in the original logo. Purple.

yodboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yodboy

I wonder if anyone's told the CEO about the #wootoff EFnet IRC channel. Perhaps we should keep it our little secret? He might not like everything he reads there. CEO's can be like that. It might even throw off his golf zen. We can't have that. Woot's CEO must be in form to stay under par against those big retail CEO's. Still, it'd be nice to get some recognition, feel the love, and be counted. Can I get a woot!...?

Snapster

dkaufman1 wrote:I remember the rubber cement trapped the Pegasus wing and I now have a slightly injured flying horse from those batteries. That didn't make this column, but maybe another one. We should get our unicorn and pegasus together for a playdate.

Snapster your join date is a few days before me.

I'm so old school I have a Woot Certificate and a Woot shirt in the original logo. Purple.

wow, user 316 even. solidly a charter member (first 5k got those certs) - I need to email all our charter folks and see how many still have their correct email signed up here.

conorbm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages conorbm

About a week ago, I was sitting an a main city on World of Warcraft when someone asked "What's the internet for?" in a trade chat channel. There were 2 seperate responses including www.woot.com.

mscherie72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mscherie72

I, along with some others, have reviewed woot.com at yelp.com:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/woot-carrollton#hrid:_vbrKXxJ48dgPaOhG7-mNA

Note: the quoted conversation between me and the bf actually happened.

kuoh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kuoh

Still here, but I thought it was more than just the first 5k? My member number is just over 5k and I got one, though sadly, I don't know where it went. Should've framed it I guess. Years from now, some expert on a traveling antique TV show might've told me how my original Woot charter member cert was worth millions!

KuoH

Snapster wrote:wow, user 316 even. solidly a charter member (first 5k got those certs) - I need to email all our charter folks and see how many still have their correct email signed up here.

Snapster

kuoh wrote:Still here, but I thought it was more than just the first 5k? My member number is just over 5k and I got one, though sadly, I don't know where it went. Should've framed it I guess. Years from now, some expert on a traveling antique TV show might've told me how my original Woot charter member cert was worth millions!

KuoH

Hi KuoH - great to hear from you. you're right - I believe it was 5k certs but first 5k buyers not just registered members now that I think about it.

heh, I always get sucked into that show when I'm flipping channels. good one. maybe relatives will find it in the attic someday.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

Wow.. I sincerely loved Jimiyo's VERY accurate portrayal of shirt.woot. Wrongidea and I were talking about him at lunch today, I thought it would be funny to wear a R.I.P. Jimiyo shirt to the shirt.woot party as I miss his derby designs. Jimiyo is doing what's best for him, I suppose... but I'm putting a little nudge in here for more Jimiyo dailies. =D

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

jwheeler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwheeler

Is there any thought to adding a live chat next to the product up for sale? It is hard to get valuable information on a product when you have to keep refreshing the blog. It would be nice to have a real time way of getting an answer to a question about a product. Especially during a woot off when you don't have a lot of time to research.

Eight years of wooting and barely here.

Snapster

eyeslikesugar wrote:Wow.. I sincerely loved Jimiyo's VERY accurate portrayal of shirt.woot. Wrongidea and I were talking about him at lunch today, I thought it would be funny to wear a R.I.P. Jimiyo shirt to the shirt.woot party as I miss his derby designs. Jimiyo is doing what's best for him, I suppose... but I'm putting a little nudge in here for more Jimiyo dailies. =D

It certainly rings true from an artist perspective. The beauty of the crrent shirt scene is the testing of new balancing efforts between artist, producer and consumer. Each has firm perspective to bring to the table and yet each need both of the other two. The majority of observers (consumers, producers and artists) don't enjoy the scene from the necessary distance to see each parties full value or the diverging opinions within each group. It's a constant state of confusion and divergent opinion that makes the industry/scene both challenging and rewarding.

Snapster

jwheeler wrote:Is there any thought to adding a live chat next to the product up for sale? It is hard to get valuable information on a product when you have to keep refreshing the blog. It would be nice to have a real time way of getting an answer to a question about a product. Especially during a woot off when you don't have a lot of time to research.

Thanks for the input - we've definitely had that thought process. I personally don't care for live chat with thousands of people and it doesn't document the conversation for later observers very well. We already have enough repeated question/observations even with the slow-down-and-read barrier of the forum.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
Snapster wrote:Thanks for the input - we've definitely had that thought process. I personally don't care for live chat with thousands of people and it doesn't document the conversation for later observers very well. We already have enough repeated question/observations even with the slow-down-and-read barrier of the forum.

Agreed. Live chat doesn't seem worthwhile. I admire those who patrol and monitor the woot forums. While I'm not always pleased with the censorship - they do keep the forums worthwhile and relatively spam free. I think keeping the forum discussion boards the same for now would be ideal.