WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Hey, who put this chicken body on me here.

As many of you know, Woot and our business model have enjoyed some nice attention in the US since our 2004 site launch. The Wall Street Journal, NY Times, Associated Press, Reuters, Dallas Morning News, LA Times, NPR, and hundreds of TV affiliates, magazines and radio stations have covered various aspects of Woot, our community, and the business model. It’s certainly now a cottage industry we enjoy watching, with semi-regular launch and success stories from similarly modeled sites and related ventures. At this point it’s safe to say millions in the US (well beyond our 1.4 million members) are familiar with Woot and it’s daily deal peers. (I cannot mention this without marveling at the power of word of mouth and thanking folks for their support.)

What is less covered or shared around domestically are related commerce developments outside the US. How has the daily-deal approach been applied in other countries. Who are the players? Are they having success? Are there fresh innovations to consider?

A quick aside: I do receive regular inquiries on our ability and interest in launching International Woot sites, either directly or through partnership. My standard response is to help describe the localized logistics needs and sourcing pressure while assuring those interested that the business model itself is public domain. We’re supportive and of course interested observers, except for the occasional direct rip-offs of our text and design.  It's just premature for us to go international via product or brand involvement while we focus on our retail and wholesale US development.

For starters, I’ve been enjoying and pondering the emergent likely-German-coined term “Liveshopping” which nicely needs little English translation and appears in use both separated and hyphenated despite German Kombinieren-geschick. I believe we first saw this term just over a year and a half ago – perhaps originating on the German ecommerce blog exciting ecommerce (also with partial manually translated US-version here http://www.excitingcommerce.com/). I’d love to know the actual origins of the term.

While some sites like Exciting Ecommerce offer English language versions of their content, it’s good to have handy Yahoo’s Babelfish (thx centexman) or Google’s Translate. Plug in a full url in to get entire pages auto-translated – here’s the above Exciting Ecommerce german blog’s robust Woot category google translated (wow!)

Oh – here’s an international Woot mention that doesn’t need translation: Enjoy video of the Amazing Joel (shirt.woot joel) and Matthew (podcaster, illustrator and writer matthew) slaving away in our St. Louis office, as noticed by the blog at liveshopping-aktuell yesterday. (also, their FAQ page has a good live shopping definition, google translated here not to mention an aggregated live shop list I’ve yet to peruse)

I’d love to have your help looking around and sharing links about the worldwide daily-deal arena – please share your observations and findings in the comments.

Do you have a worldwide Liveshopping story or liveshop link to share? What do you think of the descriptor “Live Shopping” / “Live Shop” (combined or not) potential as American-English terms? Is it a bit awkward a phrasing to catch on here or will it make the leap and be adopted? Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to lend itself to portmanteau very well like Blog evolved or Wikipedia employed, but then neither does “One Day, One Deal.”

P.S. We would be delighted to have inbound commentary in any language – our moderators will just have to sweat a bit. And remember international shirt.woot shipping is now available to 45+ countries on both daily and pre-reckoned designs. Weniger als 10 Euro einschließlich Fracht! (cheap!) Danke für Ihre Unterstützung.

Auf Wiedersehen
matt

previous entries:
CEO, Interrupted: Take your protein pills (and put your helmet on)
CEO, Interrupted: Snapster’s unfortunate alter ego

vgirl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vgirl

Other sites, eh?

international.woot.com. I like it.

centexman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages centexman
DaveBot wrote:...it’s good to have handy Yahoo’s Babblefish or Google’s Translate.

As an old geek... I'm sorry but I just have to point out that Yahoo's translator is BABEL Fish, not BABBLE Fish. The term "Babel Fish" comes from Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

I know... it's trivial and pointless... but the inner geek in me just couldn't let it go.

unixrab

quality posts: 11 Private Messages unixrab

¡Aye Carumba! That's quite a dissertation! is there a Google translate for ceo-speak ?!? ;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maniac11919

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Maniac11919

Semel-Shopping

I think it fits quite nicely. LiveShopping just doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely. Spread the word.

semel (latin): a single time, for the first time, even once, once, ever.

sowas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sowas

Thanks for mentioning Exciting Commerce :-) We coined the term Live Shopping a while ago because isn't that what you are up to during your Woot! Offs? Keeping us busy all day long ...

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
Maniac11919 wrote:Semel-Shopping

I think it fits quite nicely. LiveShopping just doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely. Spread the word.

semel (latin): a single time, for the first time, even once, once, ever.

My similar attempt was ephemeral commerce. The nice part of that is its phonetic shortening, f-commerce. Which you could, if so biased, interpret as the next version of e-commerce.

liveshoppingaktuell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages liveshoppingaktuell

Hallo und guten Tag aus "Good old Germany",

wir - die Gründer von Liveshopping Aktuell sind begeistert. In Deutschland ist in den letzten Monaten ein regelrechter Hype um das Thema Liveshopping or better saying "One Day, One Deal." enststanden. Und alle gucken sie neidisch über den großen Teich auf die Umsätze von woot! Nun zurück zu unserer Begeisterung: Da guckt man an einem ruhigen Dienstag Abend in seine Blogstatistik und wird auf einmal stutzig. Referer: woot.com. woooooooooooot whhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaat? Ja tatsächlich es ist das große Vorbild, welches durch Zufall auf uns aufmerksam wurde. Wir freuen uns sehr und bedanken uns ganz herzlich für die Erwähnung in diesem Artikel. Wir haben sehr viel Herzblut in die Entwicklung unseres Portals gesteckt - dieser Artikel ist wirklich die größte Anerkennung die wir uns wünschen konnten...

Beste Grüße aus Deutschland
Liveshopping Aktuell

PS: The Video is brilliant - in Germany we don't know these kind of working atmosphere ;)
PPS: We hope your moderators will have to sweat a bit

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
centexman wrote:As an old geek... I'm sorry but I just have to point out that Yahoo's translator is BABEL Fish, not BABBLE Fish. The term "Babel Fish" comes from Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

I know... it's trivial and pointless... but the inner geek in me just couldn't let it go.

ah. I should know that having read the series (though I can't say I remember the inclusion) - I'll fix. I'm still recovering from learning Yahoo owned it (and not some glorious former av.com entity)

Snapster

sowas wrote:Thanks for mentioning Exciting Commerce :-) We coined the term Live Shopping a while ago because isn't that what you are up to during your Woot! Offs? Keeping us busy all day long ...

ok super - that was far easier to uncover than I thought it might be. So it looks like the term is catching on some?

great blog - I have quite a bit of back reading to do to catch up.

pomodesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pomodesign

Nice 1st quarter earnings. When are you guys going public? Stock shares in the next Blogging Old CEO?

Snapster

liveshoppingaktuell wrote:Hallo und guten Tag aus "Good old Germany",

wir - die Gründer von http://www.liveshopping-aktuell.de sind begeistert. In Deutschland ist in den letzten Monaten ein regelrechter Hype um das Thema Liveshopping or better saying "One Day, One Deal." enststanden. Und alle gucken sie neidisch über den großen Teich auf die Umsätze von woot! Nun zurück zu unserer Begeisterung: Da guckt man an einem ruhigen Dienstag Abend in seine Blogstatistik und wird auf einmal stutzig. Redirect: woot.com. woooooooooooot whhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaat? Ja tatsächlich es ist das große Vorbild, welches durch Zufall auf uns aufmerksam wurde. Wir freuen uns sehr und bedanken uns ganz herzlich für die Erwähnung in diesem Artikel. Wir haben sehr viel Herzblut in die Entwicklung unseres Portals gesteckt - dieser Artikel ist wirklich die größte Anerkennung die wir uns wünschen konnten...

Liveshopping Aktuell

PS: The Video is brilliant - in Germany we don't know these kind of working atmosphere ;)

Hallo LiveShopping Aktuell und guter Tag für Sie.

Es ist angenehm zu wissen, über Ihre Entdeckung der Link in Ihren Logs und Ihre Wertschätzung für die Berichterstattung. Ich hoffe, dass Ihr Bestreben fest, Erfolg und zahlt sich aus alle Ihre harte Arbeit. Es ist ein ehrgeiziges und poliert Aufwand - sehr schön für das Auge.

Best of luck and excuse my poor translation
Matt

Ha, ja jetzt werden wir evtl mehrsprachige Moderatoren

Snapster

pomodesign wrote:Nice 1st quarter earnings. When are you guys going public? Stock shares in the next Blogging Old CEO?

Heh, I'm sure there's some Sarbanes-Oxley / SEC requirement against that.

sowas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sowas
Snapster wrote:ok super - that was far easier to uncover than I thought it might be. So it looks like the term is catching on some?

great blog - I have quite a bit of back reading to do to catch up.

Thanks. It's catching on - at least in Europe. And now, maybe in the US, too.

Highly recommended: Some of the Turkish sites (http://www.fiyatgoster.com/, http://www.kelephir.net), especially Monday Syndrome (http://pazartesisendromu.com/) on Mondays

liveshoppingaktuell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages liveshoppingaktuell
Snapster wrote:Hallo LiveShopping Aktuell und guter Tag für Sie.

Es ist angenehm zu wissen, über Ihre Entdeckung der Link in Ihren Logs und Ihre Wertschätzung für die Berichterstattung. Ich hoffe, dass Ihr Bestreben fest, Erfolg und zahlt sich aus alle Ihre harte Arbeit. Es ist ein ehrgeiziges und poliert Aufwand - sehr schön für das Auge.

Best of luck and excuse my poor translation
Matt

Ha, ja jetzt werden wir evtl mehrsprachige Moderatoren

Thanks for your wishes, with a little fantasy your translation is readable

it was our ultimate goal to create an aggregator which has a nice look and feel to bring the users into the right shopping mood. in addition we've tried to aggregate so much offers as possible in not a hell of a lot space like the others do and that's why we invented the little catchy windows. A few days ago we talked about aggregators from US and we came to the conclusion that most of them are not that cute ;)

Hope this comment is readable too...

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

liveshoppingaktuell wrote:Hallo und guten Tag aus "Good old Germany",

wir - die Gründer von Liveshopping Aktuell sind begeistert. In Deutschland ist in den letzten Monaten ein regelrechter Hype um das Thema Liveshopping or better saying "One Day, One Deal." enststanden. Und alle gucken sie neidisch über den großen Teich auf die Umsätze von woot! Nun zurück zu unserer Begeisterung: Da guckt man an einem ruhigen Dienstag Abend in seine Blogstatistik und wird auf einmal stutzig. Redirect: woot.com. woooooooooooot whhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaat? Ja tatsächlich es ist das große Vorbild, welches durch Zufall auf uns aufmerksam wurde. Wir freuen uns sehr und bedanken uns ganz herzlich für die Erwähnung in diesem Artikel. Wir haben sehr viel Herzblut in die Entwicklung unseres Portals gesteckt - dieser Artikel ist wirklich die größte Anerkennung die wir uns wünschen konnten...

Liveshopping Aktuell

I think I'm only required to moderate english.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

curiousj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curiousj

Hey there!
I do the translation for Exciting Commerce. Personally, I think the term "Live Shopping" fits well in the English language. No, I'm not just trying to make my work easier... ;-)
Live concerts, live news reports, live sports broadcasts....the whole point is experiencing something as it is happening. And when it's over, it's over. Traditional online shopping created this delayed gratification effect - you only received your purchase days later. The Woot strategy is bringing some of that gratification back to actual point of purchase - it's fun to get a deal because you were there at the right time.
And hey, "Live Shopping" is a simple name to remember for practically anybody ....

ken1645

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ken1645
pomodesign wrote:Nice 1st quarter earnings. When are you guys going public? Stock shares in the next Blogging Old CEO?

I'm curious when IPO is also, or if there ever will be an IPO...

I'd like to invest, but more so, own a part of woot!

woot woot

idaho999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages idaho999

I've been a fan of woot for years, starting in my days at Intel. But now that I'm a poor English teacher in the Czech Republic (the beer makes up for it), woot makes a great day opener at 7:00 am Prague time.
In a perfect world:
beer.woot.com (shipped from CZ to the states that can accept)

The closet to woot here is iBOOD (www.ibood.com) ((tagline: Everyday, ONE SUPER OFFER!)
Most pawnshops here (huge market for used mobiles, etc) have daily deals, and some of them are trying to put it on the web. With the distrust of the old regime, most czechs (even the young generation) will not put credit card/debit card numbers on the net. So, most internet sites here use the one deal per day as a door buster.
As for international shirts at woot, I'll have to design and submit some of the czech sayings and ideas. There's a plethora of (pinatas? No) vintage signs, sayings and wit to use (my personal favorite: If you don't steal from the company, you're stealing from your family!)
I'd love to do a guest commentary of the czech reactions to woot. I'll get some czech coworkers (I can never spell collaegue? colleuage? colleauge?) to look at the site, and see what they say!
Keep up the good work! Woot!
J

turbizzi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages turbizzi

Whoa Matt, congratulations on being named Woot! Champion by Exciting Commerce.

arthurm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arthurm

The following was posted to earlier thread but probably too long after thread started. While not relevant to your current topic, I wanted to let you know my thought.
With regard to the BoCs, I think the four mini BoCs approach that you used for the April Fools Woot-Off was good setting aside the software glitch. By the way Woot went far beyond the normal in "making it right" for those caught in the glitch. By breaking up the Bocs, it seemed to give people a better chance to get one. Thought based on perception not statistical reality.

6walnuts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6walnuts

LIve Shopping??? Opposed to what, dead shopping?? It sounds like the translations from German to English in your post. Close, but not quite right. Hope something more concise and accurate is adopted. While it may not have a smooth translation in some languages, Woot's "One day, one deal " is definitely better than LiveShopping.

BobMurdoch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobMurdoch

Oh, here's a request for you on an unrelated topic......

How about a countdown timer until the next woot-off. The surprise may be worth it to some people, but there have been woot-offs I've missed entirely because I didn't check one day or another....

If I had countdown for a week or two beforehand, I'd know to make sure I get in early and often to the site.....

jwheeler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwheeler

Is there any thought to adding a live chat next to the product up for sale? It is hard to get valuable information on a product when you have to keep refreshing the blog. It would be nice to have a real time way of getting an answer to a question about a product. Especially during a woot off when you don't have a lot of time to research.

Eight years of wooting and barely here.

jwheeler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwheeler

or perhaps a deal an hour for each of the 24 time zones..then you've got worldwide wooting. It's always midnight somewhere.

Eight years of wooting and barely here.

braden07

quality posts: 2 Private Messages braden07

so i dont know if this counts as a true one day one deal kind of thing, but when i was in germany visiting the girlfriends family they have common newspaper that every friday they would have a picture of a bare chested woman.. so a new one every week is a similar concept, but i like the product they sell a little better.. and they fact that it is only 50cents is pretty nice too.. =)

Snapster

jwheeler wrote:Is there any thought to adding a live chat next to the product up for sale? It is hard to get valuable information on a product when you have to keep refreshing the blog. It would be nice to have a real time way of getting an answer to a question about a product. Especially during a woot off when you don't have a lot of time to research.

ah, deja vu for a second - here are my general thoughts reposted for this thread: Thanks for the input - we've definitely had that thought process. I personally don't care for live chat with thousands of people and it doesn't document the conversation for later observers very well. We already have enough repeated question/observations even with the slow-down-and-read barrier of the forum.

Snapster

BobMurdoch wrote:Oh, here's a request for you on an unrelated topic......

How about a countdown timer until the next woot-off. The surprise may be worth it to some people, but there have been woot-offs I've missed entirely because I didn't check one day or another....

If I had countdown for a week or two beforehand, I'd know to make sure I get in early and often to the site.....

Good suggestion - there are a few strategies in play to consider that - one underlying woot philosophy is to not be too pushy on the commercial side of things (or at least pick and choose where we want to be pushy and where we see it as too spam-like.) Another is to avoid building up too-great of expectations. Another is to avoid burn-out just generally. Another is to encourage and enable members who enjoy spreading word of mouth that a woot-off has begun. "Keep them wanting more" is a cheesy Hollywood phrasing but I suppose to some degree it may apply here. (since I'm sure those aren't particularly satisfying as a vague group, I should probably hold up the too-high expectation buildup issue as the main reason we don't pre-notify of woot-offs)

uluru

quality posts: 1 Private Messages uluru

I for one (being born in EU and living in the US a couple months a year) would welcome an European woot, but so far I see the following problems for a EU site:

• Lack of unique language: Sure, english is worldwide accepted (and even in the EU is generally the same), but that limits the shopping to younger people, while on woot.com anyone who lives in US can use it. There might be a multilingual website, but what language you pick? French? German? Spanish? Italian? Multiple languages end up in repeated questions and lack of communication between different language speaking groups (issues/question/hints about the item of the day posted on one language forum aren't understandable by other groups).

• Lack of unique postal system: planning logistic in US is easier because there's only one postal system (or logistic infrasructure: roads, rails, planes,..). This ends up in higher competition between companies, so prices are really low. In Europe, instead, there are many smaller infrastructures that are all interconnected to each other, but that drive up costs and create problems. Each country has its own postal system and custom and that ends up in higher costs and more difficult to create the standard pricing model fro S/H that woot has.

• lack of internet tax discounts: unlike US, taxes must be paid for all the purchases. Given that the taxes are around 20% in all EU, online commerce's savings are often killed by shipments from a different country; That's probably why an european-wide ecommerce site has yet to gain success. Amazon itself doesn't

• (edited) Different laws and usage: for example, EU has 220V, while US has 110V. For the same reason not all the items may be sold on EU because of different laws (most electronic equipment do, btw)

Finally, I might have a solution based on the amazon.com purchase model. When I buy on Amazon.com and get the items delivered to EU, I can see from the packaging that the item is sent from US to Germany with air freight, then shipped from Germany to each person.
Woot might do the same: open an office in the EU (maybe in a country with low custom fees, I guess you might look at Luxembourg) and ship to that office all the purchases to save on overseas shipment costs (the most expensive chunk of shipping to US to EU), then ship from there to each EU wooter.
To further save on costs you may do one weekly shipment, so that all orders of a week get grouped together and the EU office would work a couple days a week (= further savings).
EDIT: that way you aren't "required" to open language specific woot websites, as every purchase would be processed from woot.com (and the support would still be provided there).

You're welcome to contact me for further information or ideas.

Snapster

uluru wrote:I for one (being born in EU and living in the US a couple months a year) would welcome an European woot, but so far I see the following problems for a EU site:

Thanks - I agree with many of your observations, though I think most of them are enjoyable obstacles/challenges to overcome.

Generally speaking, I am interested in reviews and observations of the few dozen liveshopping (woot-inspired) sites that are already up and running there. Woot has no interest at this time in direct participation. (other than international shirt shipping)

galaad2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages galaad2

I actually registered during a woot-off in November 2006, from Europe, Romania... i wanted to buy a Roomba...and only then i saw that woot.com ships only in US... that's been a real disappointment

In the meantime a woot-like company has launched here in Romania. Their site is http://www.ghelir.ro/ and like woot they sell one item type a day. Sometimes they have great prices (and sometimes not..you can pick the stuff from their HQ free of charge, but if you're out of town you're out of luck as the shipping fees can be a deal-breaker, especially on heavy items like an UPS)

For example today's sale... a 400VA UPS for 96 ron (VAT included), actually is 101,95 ron with the eco tax stamp (and VAT tax for that... imagine that...paying tax for a tax, go figure... the romanian fiscal code), and online payment with delivery through courier service 20 ron more (fortunately they quote they prices with VAT included), that makes the overall cost 121,95 ron.
So, 102 ron (about 29€) with pickup from their HQ is not a bad deal if you happen to live in the same city as they are (Bucharest - the capital), but with delivery costs and when you think that the warranty service is with a company that's 300 kilometers away, for which you have to pay delivery fees both ways, it makes the 140 ron UPS i can find at Carrefour more appealing, especially for three years or more of warranty.

They don't have a woot-off system yet (it's been a work-in-progress for more than a year now), but from time to time, when they have a surplus of items in storage they send an email listing all the leftover items they have... but they still don't reduce the prices on those

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
Snapster wrote:... I should probably hold up the too-high expectation buildup issue as the main reason we don't pre-notify of woot-offs)

Do you ever drop hints?