ShadowStitch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ShadowStitch

Believe it or not, I still have my Woot! Charter Member certificate up on my wall. It is the envy of all who gaze upon it.

As for my opinion regarding the evolution of the woot family...I know Woot is a business, and businesses grow and evolve over time, but I miss the days of yore when the items were inexpensive, obscure, clever and dependable. I bought your "Mystery Speakers" and a Bunch of Carrots (Back when the woot everyman stood a snowball's chance in hell of scoring one) and I still use them. I bought a Braun 5610 electric shaver that I still use a few times a week, even now 4 years later.

But as a dedicated follower, I've noticed a trend over there, where the quality of items has dwindled, forum policing has grown downright despotic, and customer service has grown more apathetic in the face of overwhelming numbers of customers. It seems like every other woot I've bought is either misrepresented junk right out of the box, or fails somehow within days. Which in turn, has led me to refrain from buying items that I might otherwise have enjoyed, because I'm too suspicious of receiving a lemon. Sure, the descriptions are cute, but a witty pitch isn't enough to persuade me to buy snake oil when I've been justifiably burned in the past. Fool me once, etc.

This hasn't stopped my friends and family from continuing to patronize woot, and yes, I continue to stock my wardrobe with classy Woot-tagged T-shirts...but nevertheless, I pine for the days when Woot was purple and I could proudly proclaim "In for one!" without regretting it in the morning.

So lift a glass of wine.woot, and toast to the good 'ol days.

Chubbyninja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chubbyninja

9/13/2004 i became the proud owner of not one, but TWO robosapiens.
nearly four years and a closet-full of wootshirts later, i happily accept my $10 payoff!

guess what i plan to get

DallasBill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DallasBill

As one of the first 5000, I must say "What, me worry?" After I joined, I had to Google 'woot' because I didn't know PAAAaaaAAaaaanCAAAAAKES! it meant or where it came from. I still wonder that today, too! I bought the Dell 5.1 speaker setup that I still use today -- I'm old compared to you.

And whoda thunk that Woot's warehouse full of fun is just a couple of miles from my office, too!

(My certificate is stored in a junk drawer, too, where it belongs!)

FormerHPB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FormerHPB

I'll post a comment for a $10 off coupon! thanks woot!

anony13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anony13

Dell 5.1 speaker setup (When they still called it the Dell 5.1 setup instead of "anonymous" supplier). I remember hacking it so I had a pseudo 5.1 setup in my computer room.

I ordered 2 and ended up selling one on Campus for almost what both cost me.

Then a Blogging Old CEO...

jeffereysmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffereysmith

It's good to see sites like Woot thriving. We need more of the "little guys" starting out to make it big.

lorribarnes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorribarnes

Thanks Woot...

klath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klath

I don't even remember how I became a charter member but I definitely did buy some random stuff!

wildwoodst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wildwoodst

wow....4 years

parvo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parvo

I still have my Woot Charter Member certificate on display on my mantel, sitting right next to an uncashed check from a Nigerian senior civil servant, my pet rock and my parachute pants.

Wowsy-wowsy-woo-woo,
Schleprock

bsgulati

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsgulati

In!

bgulati

merwynp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merwynp

First woot 2005

RoodyPoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RoodyPoo

I think I have that certificate somewhere...or threw it away .

10002357 7/24/2004 Kensington Pro Gaming Mouse and Splinter Cell Game 3

cwai02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwai02

congrats, I am in.

illushin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illushin

I don't know if I was a charter member or not - bought the second Blogging Old CEO on September 28, 2004 - is that early enough?

Raetus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raetus

Congrats guys. As a charter member, I thought it was a pretty good idea back then... I just never thought I would have been right.

Also thanks for the $10 bucks!

Customer service has gotten much better over the years. Keep up the great work.

enigmatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enigmatic

Well I'll go ahead and check in as well. I'm still using the External DVD+-RW drive I first wooted. Looking back on my woots is a funny list of "Good buy" and "Broken Dreams"

Sure that coffee maker couldn't withstand our hardcore brewing habit, but the cups and decanter are still usable. GPS? Well, now that directions are the in thing, just knowing where you are doesn't help. DVD player? Rockin' onwards, but the Wireless Gyration keyboard/mouse is still waiting on me to build the "ultimate HTPC" that was due a year and a half ago.

And even worse, I can't wine.woot my way to oblivion because me state doesn't want me to ship in cheap (in price!) wine. Well, maybe one day.

rancyland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rancyland

I have no idea where the cert is (I do remember getting it, though). My first purchase was on 7/22/04 - a set of rechargeable power bricks to start my dead car - I still use them, too! I was also in on the USB fans - love to see those come up again.

Good times....

jefferey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jefferey

Oops...wrong account! But I still agree with what I said above

imdbui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imdbui

got my charter member certificate hanging on my wall!

Cambrios

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cambrios

When I first starting wearing my official Woot! t-shirt in October '04, I received many questions.

"What is woot?" from friends and gawkers, and "What is Paris Hilton?" from my mother.

When I wear it around today, I receive nods of admiration from fellow wooters, and reserved tables at the finest restaurants in Dallas. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration. At least it keeps the guacamole from my Chipotle burritos from dripping on my chest.

Thanks Woot!

P.S. I'd like to complain that I never received my certificate. I never received my certificate. Complaint completed.

Zed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zed

Charter member checking in so I can blag my $10 off coupon.

My first and only Banjo of Consternation I got a robotica, and promptly traded it for 2 x 250GB hard drives, that was a nice deal back then .

sirgenius3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirgenius3

I was in 05 so I'm a little late to be a charter member, but I've purchased quite a few woots, (and am currently wearing one of the couple woot tees I own). And I'd actually started checking regularly a couple months before I joined up. I must say it's hard to believe how many times I've checked woot at exactly 10:00Pm PST, and now I've got to check 3 sites every day. Still, I can't help but feel nostalgic for some of the classic woot experiences. Sure, many regular wooters have heard of leak frogs, but how many of them remember the Pucks (I believe they were Kensington Priority Pucks), and it's various returns. I've still got one sitting on my desk. Or how about wootoffs being stalled by mysterious exercise machines and radio controlled dinosaurs. Oh, those were the days...

vtoria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vtoria

Wow, been a long time, the first thing I ever bought was a Braille on Cookies and boy was it ever! I think I may have gotten some CDR's actually.

10006463 8/13/2004 Random carp 1

Now, gimme my coupon!

tornado112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tornado112

weeee

gene69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gene69

My first purchase was 8/2/2004 and I am chrter member 952. I still have my certificate too.

I remember the good ole days when you could wait a whole 10 seconds after midnight and still snag boogers on crackers 3 at a time without crashing the server.

Today you have to have fiber and a NOC just to get your order into the process stage and then regularly be told that your in line to get an order in case some other poor schmuck is over his credit limit.

I can't wait untli like Google ad words you can bid for a position in line to buy the next Woot. You heard it here first so don't be surprised when it happens.

jbsig1021

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbsig1021

Congrats Woot! Its been nice to see how fast you've grown. I have my certificate on the fridge at home. Still haven't got my hands on a bag o carp yet which keeps me checking back every day.

Take care and keep up the good Woot.

Cheers!

ZoboFlobby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZoboFlobby

I am posting to see when I registered, I don't think I am a charter member.

I do want to drop a note I was also a memeber of the Woot! Alert service once run by a member here and I have checked woot only once this month instead of daily.

This is something Woot really needs to support internally as I forwarded that email automatically to 20 other people after the woot alert stopped accepting new users. I signed up for the Twitter but never have received a single tweet.

I also miss my Woot! 1.0 t-shirts as they have finally wore out, I would rather have a new one of them the back was one of the coolest things ever and people asked me about it all the time.

So if I am a charter memeber score me my $10, but I would rather have a new not freaky monkey woot T-shirt, simple front, cool on the back.

imrobbo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imrobbo

Wooooooot! I'm in for my 10!

wordpass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wordpass

Yeash I finally posted on the blog!!!

Auxano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Auxano

Wow - Got a Tivo the 1st time around.

Come back here everyday!

Even if I am not buying I sure do enjoy the descriptions. The community is usually pretty cool with their posting also.

Divilish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Divilish

I am in for a free 10

BSUGrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BSUGrad

Congratulations Woot! It is always fun to see what's up today!

wysiwyg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wysiwyg

Meh. Don't think I ever got a certificate. I have been wooting for (almost) 3 years. Still no Backpacking Overpriced Catfish. Good times.

rotorrocket

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rotorrocket

4 years and counting as a daily wooter

Thanks

rudyespinosa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rudyespinosa

I joined in 2005. I would try to write something funny but I am kinda upset now.
I logged in to see when I made my first purchase and realized that I end up never almost everything I buy. I definitely wear the monkey t-shirt that I bought and actually wearing it now. So, I hope I at least get a 2nd woot item that I will use.

jwe10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwe10

I'm still here!

bnolan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bnolan

WOOTS!!!

Thanks Woot.
I'll definitely be picking up a free shirt.

jk_admin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jk_admin

$10 coupon please

dopey5007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dopey5007

I love woot!

~D