WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Hi Wooters. Hope you’re all enjoying your weekend. I wanted to get this update out during the week but time ran short and I want it up by Monday..

Back on the 14th, I started a discussion about Extended Warranties and asked what’s your take. I started off the thread expressing that while I’m still personally not keen on extended warranty purchase, I was starting to loosen up on the subject for specific cases. We received good number of detailed, balanced and well expressed opinions from many of you. I really appreciate the effort.

The high-level summary of our extended warranty goal should be apparent and now validated: To craft a warranty option or recommendation with a reputable service provider, at a reasonable price and, perhaps most importantly, with a limited annoyance factor to those philosophically against the option. Really, our bottom line desire is that no one pass up a Woot purchase due to lack of the option.

Conveniently enough, a few Wooters mentioned their use of SquareTrade, a third party warranty provider that pitches itself as consumer-centric, offers a fair amount of transparency by linking uncensored user reviews, and even publishes a blog to chat with it’s user base. Some of you will remember them from their eBay mediation service. They were the prime candidate Woot was considering going into the discussion and they are in fact who we’ve selected. I believe they offer the best match for our needs in style, execution and implementation. Further, they have fairly robust support for extended warranty of refurbished items, and accidental damage policy options on new items – both potential matches for Woot’s varied offerings.

Over the past 6 months I have met with and discussed philosophy with their co-founder and chief operating officer, who I’m pleased to report is now a Wooter. We see eye to eye on many issues and worked out some details involving consumer experience. He readily supported our requests for a light implementation. He and his team will work with us to get reports on warranty operations and, in advance of Woot events, warranty authorization.

How "lite" is our implementation? Well, the reality is that some Wooters already use SquareTrade to extend their Woot and Manufacturer warranties on their own. All we’re doing in Stage 1 of our integration is creating this feedback thread for Wooters to discuss and adding a link on our write up. You’ll see on the front page of woot when an item is authorized for SquareTrade extended warranty and you can head over there and consider the option at your leisure. Stage 2 we’ll add an opt-in request for info on certain items at checkout. That’s it. One of the best features is you have up to 30 days from date of sale to purchase a SquareTrade warranty, so you don’t have to decide at time of Woot purchase (the SquareTrade opt-in reminder can come in handy there to catch the 30 day mark).

While this style of "extended warranty lite" should have very few downsides, it remains valid to gather Woot member input now and in the future. I would like to designate this thread for sharing of research and experience with regards to SquareTrade. Of course keep in mind that no warranty company is without it’s detractors—extended warranties are crafted to suit the needs of insurance companies, so it’s not like they’re some gift to the world. There exists and will continue to exist points of reported drama and contention and your decision should consider them.

I would have liked to dive in and explain details and highlights from SquareTrade such as excluded items, coverage details, pricing, etc. but for now I’m going to have to rely on Wooter comments here and what SquareTrade has published. Woot will work with SquareTrade to authorize various items that we highlight warranty availability on and may offer commentary per item. I’ll follow up on any specific questions here in the thread.

jcompton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcompton

Is this just a ploy to get lucrative extended warranty Google ads on the page? If so, you have succeeded!

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
jcompton wrote:Is this just a ploy to get lucrative extended warranty Google ads on the page? If so, you have succeeded!

ha - I chuckled at that myself. that would have been a much easier solution. just make a blog post with "extended warranty" in it all over and tell people to check the ads for an offer they liked

fjordless

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fjordless

You should start a restaurant featuring waitresses with thick glasses and Internet savvy and call it Wooters.

Oh, and decorate it with Roombas, monkeys, and bags of carp.

soliver

quality posts: 27 Private Messages soliver

My only comment on ST is that they tend to spam the carp out of me. I purchased a warranty for a reburb BlackBerry I bought on e-bay about six months ago. I bought the warranty and immediately recieved message after message for new services.

Here is what I would like to see: A warranty with absolutely no follow up or sell messages. I know that I may be dreaming, but as one for my favorite grad school profs put it, 'You don't get what you don't ask for'.

bromley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bromley

Of the extended warranty companies I've dealt with, SquareTrade is the "least offensive" of the lot. As long as you don't give them your database if I haven't opted in for an 'extended warranty' then I like the option to add that on if I so choose. Actually, my experience with them (I tend to use them when I purchase something over $200) has been favorable. The came through on a refurbed GPS (bought off of EBAY) that went south just after the 90 manufactures warranty expired. Thanks for adding the option for those of us who want to use it.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

My woot monkey only screamed for three days...is this retroactive?

Snapster

soliver wrote:My only comment on ST is that they tend to spam the carp out of me. I purchased a warranty for a reburb BlackBerry I bought on e-bay about six months ago. I bought the warranty and immediately recieved message after message for new services.

Here is what I would like to see: A warranty with absolutely no follow up or sell messages. I know that I may be dreaming, but as one for my favorite grad school profs put it, 'You don't get what you don't ask for'.

The future Woot opt-in reminder that we're planning to offer is limited to contact within that 30 day period in which you could extend your woot purchases warranty. What you're saying is that after a purchase they send you more, I gather... It's not without hassle, but I assume you can simply unsubscribe if that's the case?

Snapster

bromley wrote:Of the extended warranty companies I've dealt with, SquareTrade is the "least offensive" of the lot. As long as you don't give them your database if I haven't opted in for an 'extended warranty' then I like the option to add that on if I so choose. Actually, my experience with them (I tend to use them when I purchase something over $200) has been favorable. The came through on a refurbed GPS (bought off of EBAY) that went south just after the 90 manufactures warranty expired. Thanks for adding the option for those of us who want to use it.

correct - this is a third party, so no sharing unless member requested. thanks for posting your experiences with them.

Snapster

wootvan wrote:My woot monkey only screamed for three days...is this retroactive?

some times I wish more of them had that feature ;)

agock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agock

I've never purchased any kind of warranty on anything, either online or in-store. After checking out SquareTrade, if the product and warranty were right for me, I could see purchasing one. I especially agree with, "It's our policy to approve every valid claim, and if there's ever a question about it, we always err on your side." from their site. I am a store manager for a retail chain and that is the way I do business with my customers.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

Can we warranty our shirt.woots?

It's really neat to see how Woot is expanding and improving itself. There's a reason this is one of the fastest growing companies - you guys actually care about your customers.

Now has there been any research into going international with woot?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

fredfr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fredfr

huh 30 day option, I have had a couple of r3fuir4 p1eces of shwat that were doa. that mught werg

cvan911

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cvan911
fredfr wrote:huh 30 day option, I have had a couple of r3fuir4 p1eces of shwat that were doa. that mught werg

The fine print says ST doesn't deal with DOA's...

cadet526

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cadet526

I was reading about ST on their site and it says they are a dispute resolution company and that they do not actually cover your products, but they are underwritten by another company AMT Service Corp. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of how this industry works, but it seems that ST only helps you file a claim with the insurance company that they contract with, making them an upscale customer service company. That's a good service, but it still seems that ST while being an advocate, is not the end decision maker on a claim.
Like I said, I am not familiar with the industry, but am I close or way off? Or does it even matter? Thanks.

Snapster

cadet526 wrote:I was reading about ST on their site and it says they are a dispute resolution company and that they do not actually cover your products, but they are underwritten by another company AMT Service Corp. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of how this industry works, but it seems that ST only helps you file a claim with the insurance company that they contract with, making them an upscale customer service company. That's a good service, but it still seems that ST while being an advocate, is not the end decision maker on a claim.
Like I said, I am not familiar with the industry, but am I close or way off? Or does it even matter? Thanks.

I think in common terms they are the extended warranty service provider. I'm not sure how regulatory the requirement is but they obtain underwriting/backing by presenting a portfolio of contracts that is backed by the insurance company. They are the only facing you would address, unless somehow they weren't around and then you have some assurance the backing insurer would be required to hire another service company to address your contract. By my understanding it's a good thing. However, this is in no way intended to be a losing proposition for them or ultimately their insurer, so I'm sure there's still a good amount of "by the book" approval involved when servicing claims. It's unlikely they are just renegade approving things outside the scope of coverage.

their marketing blurb is:

"All our warranties are underwritten by Amtrust Inc., an A- rated insurer with $1 Billion+ in assets. We work with over 10,000 sellers who refer their buyers to SquareTrade for their warranty needs. We pay out thousands of claims each month and are consistently rated 5-stars for our consumer-centric service. "

I believe they became known as a dispute resolution company (I remember seeing their logo on eBay as a default contracted or recommended arbitrator) and then evolved to this.

munboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages munboy
cadet526 wrote:I was reading about ST on their site and it says they are a dispute resolution company and that they do not actually cover your products, but they are underwritten by another company AMT Service Corp. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of how this industry works, but it seems that ST only helps you file a claim with the insurance company that they contract with, making them an upscale customer service company. That's a good service, but it still seems that ST while being an advocate, is not the end decision maker on a claim.

That is so when SquareTrade goes bellyup (they won't, but with every company there is the possibility. Cite Assurz, Compusa, Sharper Image, many many others) your warranty isn't gone. When SquareTrade disappears this very large company will back up the warranty.

No advertamatising, please.

6walnuts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6walnuts

I think it's a great idea. Many times I wonder who would buy a $500 + item with a 90 day warranty from Woot, unless they could repair the item themselves. (computers and TVs usually) I do buy extended warranties on high dollar items, so definitely woulld make me more likely to get a respiffied or expensive woot purchast.

pezlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pezlin

I asked this question over on sellout.woot, but never really got an answer. Has anyone here ever had to take advantage of their warranty through ST? How was the experience? Did they basically cut you a check for the original purchase amount, or was it based on some sort of RMA?

If I had more information about ST back when the parade of TVs was going on, I can say with some certainty that I would have picked something up. As it was, 30 day warranty on a 500+ item didn't seem that comforting.

- pez

Recent Woots:
7/7/08 - Navigon GPS
6/20/08 - Mighty Kite Mini-Kite
3/29/08 - SlingBox Classic
11/12/07 & 10/7/07 - 30gb Zune

AhmedSquareTrade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AhmedSquareTrade

Hi. I'm from SquareTrade and just wanted to quickly answer a couple of questions and highlight key points of our warranties.

If you ever need to contact SquareTrade, feel free to call us at 1.877.Warranty (6am-5pm M-F) or email us via the webform on our site. Of course most of what's in this post is described further at www.squaretrade.com

We have had thousands of reviews of our service. Vast majority good and some not so good. You can review many of them at:
NexTag: http://www.nextag.com/SquareTrade~3300135zzzreviewsz1zmainz17-htm
Epinions: http://www.epinions.com/pr-Online_Stores_Services-SquareTrade_Inc/display_~reviews

You can learn details on our website, but the high level service overview is:
- Most items < $200-300, we'll refund you full item purchase price. Use the money as you see fit.
- Most other items, we'll fix. If it's shippable, we'll handle it in a centralized depot, and we'll give you a pre-paid shipping box to send it in. We give a 5 day service guarantee, i.e., it'll be on its way back to you within 5 days of receipt at depot.
- If it's big (>30 inch TVs, big printers, desktops), it's in-home service.

In all cases, there's no deductible, and we pay for everything. You can always transfer your warranty free of charge. You can also always cancel it (full refund in first 30 days, and pro-rata after that, i.e., if you cancel half-way through the contract, you get half back).

Our warranty prices are based on the following guidelines:
~ 12% of item price for items < $1K
~10% of item price for items >$1K and <$2K
~ 8% of item price for items > $2K.

For that price, you get:
- New items: a 3 Year Date of Purchase warranty (overlaps with mfr wty to some extent).
- Refurbished Items: a 1 year Extension (wty starts after manufacturer or woot warranty ends).

For most new items, you can purchase optional Accidental Damage from Handling coverage to cover drops & spills. For most refurbished items, you can purchase a 2nd year of coverage for 50% of the price of the 1st year.

There are some issues we don't cover:
- We don't cover items that are DoA or have issues in first 60 days. We consider those the manufacturer or retailer responsibility.
- We cover mechanical & electrical failures during normal use - we don't cover Drops & Spills (unless you purchase it as an additional option on new items).
- We don't cover user replaceable parts (e.g., batteries, bulbs on projection TVs). We do cover non-user replaceable parts (e.g., bulbs on LCD TVs or iPod / iPhone batteries).
- We don't cover software issues (you install Vista on your laptop and for some reason it's totally unusable - we won't cover it).

All warranties are further backed by an insurer (Amtrust in our case). That's to protect the consumer in case we go under or don't perform.

You have 30 days to buy a warranty from item purchase date. You can buy it through the Woot link near the item or come to SquareTrade's website and buy it (make sure to put in Woot as the retailer as we'll match it to the receipt).

You never need to keep a copy of the warranty - it's always available online (you can login to SquareTrade and manage everything about your warranty). We do need to verify your receipt to make sure you did buy this item at Woot. You can always fax / scan or email it to us ahead of time and we'll keep it on file for you. Alternatively, just keep it around till you need to make a claim (you don't need it to buy the warranty).

nikkipoooo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nikkipoooo

Very cool, Woot. I'm a warranty buyer, usually and I actually never knew about Square Trade. There have been time where I would have considered buying a higher end item from Woot but didn't want to take a chance on an item with a short warranty.

Insomniac302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Insomniac302

While I don't dispute the reasoning behind offering warrenties, I emplore you not to use square trade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive square trade is an eBay company and anyone who's dealt with eBay to any extent in the past 6 months (I said eBay, mind you, not sellers ON eBay) would know they are getting greedy and don't care about their customers and are showing signs of tumbling due to that.

AhmedSquareTrade

Hi. This is SquareTrade again.

Just for the record, SquareTrade is NOT an eBay company. We are not affiliated with eBay in any way. We do work with many eBay sellers but as a 3rd party service provider who independently works with these sellers.

I don't doubt that there may be many other valid reasons to not buy warranties or to not buy SquareTrade warranties in particular.

mikedesanti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikedesanti

I called about the extended warranty and they told me it is actually not an extension of the manufacturer's 1 year warranty. Their warranty starts from date of purchase. So it is actually extending the warranty by 2 years. The manufactuer has a full 1-year in home warranty. Shouldn't this kick in after? Isn't that the meaning of "extended" warranty?

AhmedSquareTrade

Hi Mike: This is SquareTrade again.

This "warranty length" issue is one we've debated a lot internally, and we came out starting it on Data of Purchase for 2 reasons:

1. On the internet, many items are gray-market or not sold by authorized resellers. Manufacturers often times do NOT honor their warranties in these cases (e.g., many GPS / camera manufacturers) or are unpredictable about honoring their warranties. In those cases, we actually cover you during the time that the manufacturer was supposed to.

Unless you're buying from Best Buy, Circuit City or a handful of big retailers on the internet, the gray-market / unauthorized dealer issue is more important than most people realize.

2. On new items, we offer Accidental Damage from Handling as an additional option. No manufacturer does. Clearly, if you purchase that, you get coverage during the time of the manufacturer period as well.

On refurbished items (where manufacturer warranties are short if any; and we don't offer accidental damage), our warranties lengths are additional to the manufacturer and commence after the manufacturer warranty ends.

elynnjean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elynnjean

I would think that the ST warranties would not be available on items that are shipped via Smart Post - it can take up to 30 days to get the item then it could be too late to try to get the warranty for ST.
Just my 2 pennies.

I used to better than everyone else; now I'm just purple.

nvalhalla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nvalhalla

"1. On the internet, many items are gray-market or not sold by authorized resellers. Manufacturers often times do NOT honor their warranties in these cases (e.g., many GPS / camera manufacturers) or are unpredictable about honoring their warranties. In those cases, we actually cover you during the time that the manufacturer was supposed to. "

VERY true. I have had manufactures turn down replacement/repair because the online retailer I bought the item from was not "authorized".

hubster5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hubster5

I see no place on the ST site to list WOOT as the retailer... does it auto-associate the warranty back to the item in WOOT if you use the links to ST from the WOOT? I see the option to choose EBAY, but nothing specific for any other retailer. Trying to use the "ounce of prevention" formula here before I click the "pay" button...

AhmedSquareTrade

Hi. Ahmed from SquareTrade here. You do select the retailer on the Checkout Page - and Woot is obviously one of the retailers you can select from.

diletante

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diletante
AhmedSquareTrade wrote:Hi. I'm from SquareTrade and just wanted to quickly answer a couple of questions and highlight key points of our warranties.

If you ever need to contact SquareTrade, feel free to call us at 1.877.Warranty (6am-5pm M-F) or email us via the webform on our site. Of course most of what's in this post is described further at www.squaretrade.com

We have had thousands of reviews of our service. Vast majority good and some not so good. You can review many of them at:
NexTag: http://www.nextag.com/SquareTrade~3300135zzzreviewsz1zmainz17-htm
Epinions: http://www.epinions.com/pr-Online_Stores_Services-SquareTrade_Inc/display_~reviews

You can learn details on our website, but the high level service overview is:
- Most items < $200-300, we'll refund you full item purchase price. Use the money as you see fit.
- Most other items, we'll fix. If it's shippable, we'll handle it in a centralized depot, and we'll give you a pre-paid shipping box to send it in. We give a 5 day service guarantee, i.e., it'll be on its way back to you within 5 days of receipt at depot.
- If it's big (>30 inch TVs, big printers, desktops), it's in-home service.

In all cases, there's no deductible, and we pay for everything. You can always transfer your warranty free of charge. You can also always cancel it (full refund in first 30 days, and pro-rata after that, i.e., if you cancel half-way through the contract, you get half back).

Our warranty prices are based on the following guidelines:
~ 12% of item price for items < $1K
~10% of item price for items >$1K and <$2K
~ 8% of item price for items > $2K.

For that price, you get:
- New items: a 3 Year Date of Purchase warranty (overlaps with mfr wty to some extent).
- Refurbished Items: a 1 year Extension (wty starts after manufacturer or woot warranty ends).

For most new items, you can purchase optional Accidental Damage from Handling coverage to cover drops & spills. For most refurbished items, you can purchase a 2nd year of coverage for 50% of the price of the 1st year.

There are some issues we don't cover:
- We don't cover items that are DoA or have issues in first 60 days. We consider those the manufacturer or retailer responsibility.
- We cover mechanical & electrical failures during normal use - we don't cover Drops & Spills (unless you purchase it as an additional option on new items).
- We don't cover user replaceable parts (e.g., batteries, bulbs on projection TVs). We do cover non-user replaceable parts (e.g., bulbs on LCD TVs or iPod / iPhone batteries).
- We don't cover software issues (you install Vista on your laptop and for some reason it's totally unusable - we won't cover it).

All warranties are further backed by an insurer (Amtrust in our case). That's to protect the consumer in case we go under or don't perform.

You have 30 days to buy a warranty from item purchase date. You can buy it through the Woot link near the item or come to SquareTrade's website and buy it (make sure to put in Woot as the retailer as we'll match it to the receipt).

You never need to keep a copy of the warranty - it's always available online (you can login to SquareTrade and manage everything about your warranty). We do need to verify your receipt to make sure you did buy this item at Woot. You can always fax / scan or email it to us ahead of time and we'll keep it on file for you. Alternatively, just keep it around till you need to make a claim (you don't need it to buy the warranty).

That was all very interesting, and imost of it was quite contrary to what I had previously experienced with "extended warranties," e.g., that they were mostly cams that set out from the get go to make it nearly impossible to receive a claim payout, whereas yours, at least, sounds very much the opposite, i.e., in many ways your warranty sounds superior to the actual coverage included with factory/manufacturer waranties, e.g., you must pay for shipping to return 27" or less TVs for warranty work or replacement (and, there are tons of stories of ppl having to do this 2-3 times in a row when the received a broken item back each time from the manufacturer such that the one way shipping fees became MORE than the item cost originally/would have cost to buy another respiffied outright, plus the latter would have left them watching the TV they bought themselves to replace the 2-4 bum ones if they'd just done so initially instead of sending their broken one in for factory service...and that doesn't even mention the fact that their repeated unsuccessful factory service attempts left them without a TV for 4-8 wks EACH TIME they sent it back, etc.!

At any rate, you really are getting a lot of good feedback from all of the places I've seen you discussed, so keep up the great work, and good luck! If you do keep it up, and stay afloat, you may very well change the minds of many ppl who thought about "extended warranties" the way I *used to*, before you came along...i.e., you may just redefine the industry, namely what the consumers conceptualize when they think of "extended warranties." And, if, or until, you do, you will be alone for the time it takes the rest of the industry to catch on and begin to HAVE to change their old ways to match your "customer centric" approach (or they will go out of business when ppl begin to realize that you are out there and that they can have your coverage instead...i.e., as YOU being to [re]educate consumers, etc.

Before I sign off, tho, I have a few questions for you:

1) *IF* I send the same item back for THE SAME PROBLEM more than once or twice, if the exact same problem occurs again, even if it's AFTER the warranty period expires, will you help (i.e., what provisions do your policies have in the way of lemons, if the item had been repaired by the factory one or more times during their coverage period, and the exact same thing happens again when your coverage is in force, etc.)?

2) If Woot or the factory included a 90 day warranty (in which one way shipping AND MUCH LONGER TURNAROUND TIMES would knowingly be incurred by the consumer), is there any reason for the consumer to just wait a few more weeks until the 90 days was up, i.e., to both avoid the shipping costs, as well as assure the much faster turn-around time you offer?

3) If you pay for a new item or replace it with a new or different comparable product, does your warranty continue for the rest of the period we origianlly paid you for, would it immediately terminate (if so, would I get a prorated refund for the period remaining in the period we paid for such that even your new replacement of full-cost payout allowing us to buy a comparable item such that our original investment would STILL be protected for at least the period we paid for it to be protected, etc.?

4) Can I renew my warranty for any option that was for a greater duration than I originally chose when I originally purchased the item and your minimum warranty option (i.e., as long as I did so before my shorter duration option expires?

5) If/when you decide to pay for a replacement (i.e., full payout), would you deduct any fees from the total replacement check amount for any prior repair costs which you may have incurred prior to your deciding to make a total payout on our item, e.g., say we paid $300 for our respiffied TV, and say you had serviced it 1 one or more times before you decided to pay us for a new or total replacement, well...that could, in a worst case scenario, mean that the TV we bought 6 months ago only worked a total of 3 weeks, and that if/when you deduct feels and prior repair costs from your total payout check, then we will be out a half year of the use of our money AS WELL AS possibly only getting 1/3 to 1/2 of the amount we paid for the TV *if* you deduct any fees or costs you may have incurred to ship and repair the item previously, etc.)?

5) What's your take on power surge damage to media entertainment type electronics, PCs, etc., e.g., what if we weren't using a surge protector when our roof-top antenna or sat dish got hit by lightning and fried the equipment that we bought your coverage for, or say we had some coverage that came with a cheap surge protector we got when we got the TV --whether or not we purchased coverage from you for the surge protector/entire home entertainment equipment as a system, etc.-- such that when we made our claim with you, we had no way of knowing if, when, or to what extent any claim with the surge protector maker would materialize, etc., ...what's your policy on such things?

6) IF we should disagree with your call/determination, handling, etc., of our claim's final outcome, what, if any, recourse do we have at that point, e.g., can we seek help from a third party, arbitrator, the actual insurance company that insures your claims, etc.?

Again, thanks for the previous posts/answers/great info, thanks in advance for mine, keep up the great work, and GOOD LUCK!

MS
60 mi due SSW of The Grand Canyon

[color=#FF0000] ...this, that, and the wooter.[/color]

DementedAngel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DementedAngel

@woot and squaretrade - please see this post regarding pricing discrepencies http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2652580

Snapster

DementedAngel wrote:@woot and squaretrade - please see this post regarding pricing discrepencies http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2652580

interesting -that's first I'd seen that. at first I thought our error, since we pass the data that programs the widget to show the price quote, but then I see that $10 was right ($9.60 rounded up). I wonder if there's a minimum involved that we don't have calculated in the quote. I'll have to get a squaretrade quote here and see what percent it is on lower price point items.

DementedAngel

Thanks for checking up on it. The really odd part is that if you go to squaretrade and ask for a quote there, it says it's $11.99 instead of $10. *scratchin head*

AhmedSquareTrade

DementedAngel wrote:Thanks for checking up on it. The really odd part is that if you go to squaretrade and ask for a quote there, it says it's $11.99 instead of $10. *scratchin head*

Ahmed from SquareTrade here. There is absolutely a bug, and it seems somehow that the pricing file on the website and on the Woot banner have got disassociated (the website is the correct price).

I apologize and will have our engineering group take a look at it ASAP.

AhmedSquareTrade

diletante wrote:That was all very interesting, and imost of it was quite contrary to what I had previously experienced with "extended warranties," e.g., that they were mostly cams that set out from the get go to make it nearly impossible to receive a claim payout, whereas yours, at least, sounds very much the opposite, i.e., in many ways your warranty sounds superior to the actual coverage included with factory/manufacturer waranties, e.g., you must pay for shipping to return 27" or less TVs for warranty work or replacement (and, there are tons of stories of ppl having to do this 2-3 times in a row when the received a broken item back each time from the manufacturer such that the one way shipping fees became MORE than the item cost originally/would have cost to buy another respiffied outright, plus the latter would have left them watching the TV they bought themselves to replace the 2-4 bum ones if they'd just done so initially instead of sending their broken one in for factory service...and that doesn't even mention the fact that their repeated unsuccessful factory service attempts left them without a TV for 4-8 wks EACH TIME they sent it back, etc.!

At any rate, you really are getting a lot of good feedback from all of the places I've seen you discussed, so keep up the great work, and good luck! If you do keep it up, and stay afloat, you may very well change the minds of many ppl who thought about "extended warranties" the way I *used to*, before you came along...i.e., you may just redefine the industry, namely what the consumers conceptualize when they think of "extended warranties." And, if, or until, you do, you will be alone for the time it takes the rest of the industry to catch on and begin to HAVE to change their old ways to match your "customer centric" approach (or they will go out of business when ppl begin to realize that you are out there and that they can have your coverage instead...i.e., as YOU being to [re]educate consumers, etc.

Before I sign off, tho, I have a few questions for you:

1) *IF* I send the same item back for THE SAME PROBLEM more than once or twice, if the exact same problem occurs again, even if it's AFTER the warranty period expires, will you help (i.e., what provisions do your policies have in the way of lemons, if the item had been repaired by the factory one or more times during their coverage period, and the exact same thing happens again when your coverage is in force, etc.)?

2) If Woot or the factory included a 90 day warranty (in which one way shipping AND MUCH LONGER TURNAROUND TIMES would knowingly be incurred by the consumer), is there any reason for the consumer to just wait a few more weeks until the 90 days was up, i.e., to both avoid the shipping costs, as well as assure the much faster turn-around time you offer?

3) If you pay for a new item or replace it with a new or different comparable product, does your warranty continue for the rest of the period we origianlly paid you for, would it immediately terminate (if so, would I get a prorated refund for the period remaining in the period we paid for such that even your new replacement of full-cost payout allowing us to buy a comparable item such that our original investment would STILL be protected for at least the period we paid for it to be protected, etc.?

4) Can I renew my warranty for any option that was for a greater duration than I originally chose when I originally purchased the item and your minimum warranty option (i.e., as long as I did so before my shorter duration option expires?

5) If/when you decide to pay for a replacement (i.e., full payout), would you deduct any fees from the total replacement check amount for any prior repair costs which you may have incurred prior to your deciding to make a total payout on our item, e.g., say we paid $300 for our respiffied TV, and say you had serviced it 1 one or more times before you decided to pay us for a new or total replacement, well...that could, in a worst case scenario, mean that the TV we bought 6 months ago only worked a total of 3 weeks, and that if/when you deduct feels and prior repair costs from your total payout check, then we will be out a half year of the use of our money AS WELL AS possibly only getting 1/3 to 1/2 of the amount we paid for the TV *if* you deduct any fees or costs you may have incurred to ship and repair the item previously, etc.)?

5) What's your take on power surge damage to media entertainment type electronics, PCs, etc., e.g., what if we weren't using a surge protector when our roof-top antenna or sat dish got hit by lightning and fried the equipment that we bought your coverage for, or say we had some coverage that came with a cheap surge protector we got when we got the TV --whether or not we purchased coverage from you for the surge protector/entire home entertainment equipment as a system, etc.-- such that when we made our claim with you, we had no way of knowing if, when, or to what extent any claim with the surge protector maker would materialize, etc., ...what's your policy on such things?

6) IF we should disagree with your call/determination, handling, etc., of our claim's final outcome, what, if any, recourse do we have at that point, e.g., can we seek help from a third party, arbitrator, the actual insurance company that insures your claims, etc.?

Again, thanks for the previous posts/answers/great info, thanks in advance for mine, keep up the great work, and GOOD LUCK!

MS
60 mi due SSW of The Grand Canyon

Hi. Ahmed from SquareTrade here. Thanks for your kind words.

Your questions are extremely detailed and I want to make sure you get the right and complete answer so let me refer you to our Customer Experience Manager - Kord Hamilton. You can reach him at kordhelps (at) squaretrade (dot) com. Just refer him to this board and the post and I'm sure he'll help answer them or track down the information you need.

DementedAngel

AhmedSquareTrade wrote:Ahmed from SquareTrade here. There is absolutely a bug, and it seems somehow that the pricing file on the website and on the Woot banner have got disassociated (the website is the correct price).

I apologize and will have our engineering group take a look at it ASAP.

if the squaretrade website is the right price ($11.99 on a $80 refurbished blender), that's a bit more than the % you posted earlier in this thread.

Earlier you posted that the rate is 12%. 12% of 79.99=$9.60. If it's supposed to be $11.99, that's 15%. A bit of a difference.

Hulyen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hulyen
AhmedSquareTrade wrote:Hi. Ahmed from SquareTrade here. Thanks for your kind words.

Your questions are extremely detailed and I want to make sure you get the right and complete answer so let me refer you to our Customer Experience Manager - Kord Hamilton. You can reach him at kordhelps (at) squaretrade (dot) com. Just refer him to this board and the post and I'm sure he'll help answer them or track down the information you need.

Any chance you can have them post the reply here? I (as well as others, I'm sure) would also be interested in hearing the answers to these questions.

DementedAngel

still waiting for pricing issue to be resolved so that I can buy a warranty.

Squaretrade website is trying to charge me $12.99 for warranty on the refurbished blender that was sold for $79.99

12% of 79.99 is only $9.60

Sure, it's only overcharging by $3.39, but...

AhmedSquareTrade

Ahmed from SquareTrade here. We have fixed the issue with the Widget. We are just trying to coordinate with Woot to roll it out.

AhmedSquareTrade

DementedAngel wrote:still waiting for pricing issue to be resolved so that I can buy a warranty.

Squaretrade website is trying to charge me $12.99 for warranty on the refurbished blender that was sold for $79.99

12% of 79.99 is only $9.60

Sure, it's only overcharging by $3.39, but...

Ahmed from SquareTrade here.

Here is what has happened. In response to the financial crisis that is going on all around us, insurers have gotten far more conservative about how much they are charging as well as to bolster their balance sheets. They don't want to go belly-up like AIG.

That's translated into higher costs for us. We have absorbed some of these costs and maintained our very fair prices that are very significantly below other retailers.

However one of the things we have done is move away from a strict 12% relationship to an approximate 12% relationship; e.g., the entire $75-99 price band is priced at $12.99; the entire $175-199 price band is priced at $24.99, the $250-299 band is at $34.99 etc.; the $800-899 band is at $99.99.

Because of insurer pricing, we were more able to absorb the higher price band costs and keep those at the 12% or lower mark, and less able to absorb the lower price bands (e.g., $75-99).

In general, we maintained the spirit of our pricing model, which is affordable, fair and ~40% lower than big box retailers, and in the 12% range.

This new pricing didn't translate to the widget for some technical reasons.. and that's why the pricing differential.

Hopefully that clarifies. And thanks for being persistent.