I find this interesting, because I just contacted SquareTrade and was told that the refurbished Tablet I just purchased from Woot was not coverable.
Here it the Quote from them.
"In references to your email sent if Tech.woot.com are offering the warranty you can surely purchase it from them however, we can not offer a warranty through the SquareTrade website."
AhmedSquareTrade wrote:Hi. I'm from SquareTrade and just wanted to quickly answer a couple of questions and highlight key points of our warranties.
If you ever need to contact SquareTrade, feel free to call us at 1.877.Warranty (6am-5pm M-F) or email us via the webform on our site. Of course most of what's in this post is described further at www.squaretrade.com
We have had thousands of reviews of our service. Vast majority good and some not so good. You can review many of them at:
You can learn details on our website, but the high level service overview is:
- Most items < $200-300, we'll refund you full item purchase price. Use the money as you see fit.
- Most other items, we'll fix. If it's shippable, we'll handle it in a centralized depot, and we'll give you a pre-paid shipping box to send it in. We give a 5 day service guarantee, i.e., it'll be on its way back to you within 5 days of receipt at depot.
- If it's big (>30 inch TVs, big printers, desktops), it's in-home service.
In all cases, there's no deductible, and we pay for everything. You can always transfer your warranty free of charge. You can also always cancel it (full refund in first 30 days, and pro-rata after that, i.e., if you cancel half-way through the contract, you get half back).
Our warranty prices are based on the following guidelines:
~ 12% of item price for items < $1K
~10% of item price for items >$1K and <$2K
~ 8% of item price for items > $2K.
For that price, you get:
- New items: a 3 Year Date of Purchase warranty (overlaps with mfr wty to some extent).
- Refurbished Items: a 1 year Extension (wty starts after manufacturer or woot warranty ends).
For most new items, you can purchase optional Accidental Damage from Handling coverage to cover drops & spills. For most refurbished items, you can purchase a 2nd year of coverage for 50% of the price of the 1st year.
There are some issues we don't cover:
- We don't cover items that are DoA or have issues in first 60 days. We consider those the manufacturer or retailer responsibility.
- We cover mechanical & electrical failures during normal use - we don't cover Drops & Spills (unless you purchase it as an additional option on new items).
- We don't cover user replaceable parts (e.g., batteries, bulbs on projection TVs). We do cover non-user replaceable parts (e.g., bulbs on LCD TVs or iPod / iPhone batteries).
- We don't cover software issues (you install Vista on your laptop and for some reason it's totally unusable - we won't cover it).
All warranties are further backed by an insurer (Amtrust in our case). That's to protect the consumer in case we go under or don't perform.
You have 30 days to buy a warranty from item purchase date. You can buy it through the Woot link near the item or come to SquareTrade's website and buy it (make sure to put in Woot as the retailer as we'll match it to the receipt).
You never need to keep a copy of the warranty - it's always available online (you can login to SquareTrade and manage everything about your warranty). We do need to verify your receipt to make sure you did buy this item at Woot. You can always fax / scan or email it to us ahead of time and we'll keep it on file for you. Alternatively, just keep it around till you need to make a claim (you don't need it to buy the warranty).