shiner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shiner

Yeah... that's pretty cool of you to do.

Although, having some salmonella tainted pistachios could come in handy. I really don't like that neighbor dog.

just kidding.. nobody sic PETA on me...

Prngr44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Prngr44

Any idea if these are included in the current recall???

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Prngr44 wrote:Any idea if these are included in the current recall???

Woot is currently aware of no issues and our shipments are not in the scope of the recall.

If you would like any further information, please click link below:
Snapster's Update

tracylee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tracylee

Thanks, Woot. I just read about this in the paper and recognized the brand name. We finished off the Hickory pistachios and are partway through the plain ones without any adverse affects.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, though, to see if there are any updates.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
FlamingoNut wrote:---------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info. While my dh & dd haven't gotten ill, we still have 2 bags left that I'm not taking a chance with. I'll unfortunately be requesting a refund. And you guys can come over any time if you'd like to run over & eat the rest of them ;)

Will they eat them in front of your face? That would be really hard to watch and mean.

My other son is allergic to tree nuts, which is why we waited until we were out of town to eat our pistachios Friday night.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the pistachios, but we both had , erm, intestinal difficulties all weekend. A lot of fun being sick in a hotel room. I thought it was cause we had burgers and onion rings and milk shakes from a drive-in restaurant Friday night. Now I don't know

I keep trying to figure out how to contact the FDA online, but apparently they only take phone calls. I am really not that sick, my son seems totally fine since Sunday, so it is probably nothing, especially since these nuts are not part of the recall.

rharkinswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rharkinswoot

We bought these as a gift for a brother-in-law with a serious pistachio addiction. My sister is insisting that we give them to him in spite of the possible problem. Hmmm...

Prngr44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Prngr44

Sorry if my post seemed to pile on... none of the other comments had shown up yet in the thread.

Seems we're in the clear, but I'll keep an eye out as well in case the recall gets expanded.

kogaku

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kogaku

[Comments removed, don't want anything I say to encourage anyone to consume something that MIGHT do harm. From what I am hearing on the news this is looking worse than I thought.]

schmeckelgruben

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schmeckelgruben

Why couldn't I have missed hearing about this until the nuts were gone?

We've eaten about half of the nuts in our one 3-bag order, and have had no ill effects. We will hold off on eating the remainder 'til better information is available. I don't think these are contaminated, but would not enjoy eating them anyway, just in case some random nuts are bad even though the first half of the order was obviously okay.

I was really tempted to get three, because they were so good last year, but the hickory and garlic nuts made me hold off. If it had been just a big bag of the plain ones, I'd have gotten three, and would be seriously considering a refund.

118 Woots. 2 accounts. 263 items. $4.9K. Monkeys, cameras, watches, leak frogs, earbuds, knives, apricots, good pistachios, poison pistachios, 3 Eee PCs, too many woot-off lights, 2 HD TVs, 2 Shark Navigators, HD camcorder, 3 Candi USB Pole Dancers, many flashlights, dozens of SD/SDHC cards and USB flash drives, iPod Touch, 3 MP3 players. 3 cell phones, lots of other stuff, but not one frakking Bag Of Carp.

Caffeineismydrug

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Caffeineismydrug

This is great news! After the recall :
1. Their reputation will be tarnished
2. There will be an excess of "we don't know" nuts

...which means more cheap tasty nuts on Woot!

<BOYCOTT>Currently on Woot Boycott until Deal-A-Day site is restored to sanity</BOYCOTT>

kippyj

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kippyj

W00t is taking good care of anyone with concerns, just as always. I've already had an email from them. I don't think any of the Setton Farms pistachios that we bought during the February w00t-off were affected by the recall, and at least half of mine have already been eaten with no ill effects.

Once again, nobody who has ever eaten anything from my kitchen has been made sick from it...perfect record still intact!

"I love your red hair. It's not very common and YOU are FAR from common." Tom Harris

boober7489

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boober7489

thanks woot

rcpaws

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rcpaws
Snapster wrote:
2. While Woot is aware of no issues and our shipments are not in the scope of the recall, refunds will be funded by Woot for those concerned by the matter and unable to enjoy eating your order. You may email service@woot.com for a refund - reference your woot member name & pistachios order number (see "My Account"). (we reserve right to run over to your house and eat them.)

THANK YOU Woot folks for your understanding and graciously processing refunds upon request. I will definitely continue buying from Woot with this great customer service!

Adopt a shelter pet. http://www.PetFinder.com.

NascarDad

schmeckelgruben wrote:Why couldn't I have missed hearing about this until the nuts were gone?

We've eaten about half of the nuts in our one 3-bag order, and have had no ill effects. We will hold off on eating the remainder 'til better information is available. I don't think these are contaminated, but would not enjoy eating them anyway, just in case some random nuts are bad even though the first half of the order was obviously okay.

I was really tempted to get three, because they were so good last year, but the hickory and garlic nuts made me hold off. If it had been just a big bag of the plain ones, I'd have gotten three, and would be seriously considering a refund.

The hickory and garlic/onions ones were both very good - much better than I expected.

NascarDad

rcpaws wrote:THANK YOU Woot folks for your understanding and graciously processing refunds upon request. I will definitely continue buying from Woot with this great customer service!

+1 - in fact I bought something today

JENN1098

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JENN1098

Haha, the pistachios we bought (all 3 bags) are long gone, and we're still here....

Either we have digestive systems lined with iron, or the ones woot sent are just fine.

Thanks for the nuts woot!! :-D

bartsooner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bartsooner

I shared mine (somewhat begrudgingly) with a co-worker and we both wound up with unhappy bellies. It could have been something else, but the nuts were the suspect. We stopped eating them and then I saw the recall. It's too bad - the ones we ate (Hickory) were really good. Woot was very cool about the entire thing. Thanks for standing by us Wooters in our time of digestive distress!

UncleFroG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages UncleFroG
rcpaws wrote:THANK YOU Woot folks for your understanding and graciously processing refunds upon request. I will definitely continue buying from Woot with this great customer service!

I concur, +1 for woot!

kogaku wrote:[Comments removed, don't want anything I say to encourage anyone to consume something that MIGHT do harm.]

I am also removing my comments here. Good call.

12 Bags of Crap and counting!

czardastx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages czardastx

Hey, way to go Woot! Setton Farms is recalling their pistachios because of salmonella. Not going to eat the rest of the bag I bought. I may have missed the salmonella with the first handful but I'm not going to chance it with the rest of the bag.

Nasty Nuts!

The secret to a happy marriage is to split everything 50/50. My wife gets the big half and I get the little half. - Chief Buffalo Nickel

TBIRDLVR

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TBIRDLVR

someone at WOOT has it going on. This is the kind of thing that makes folks loyal. Many thanks. We havent eaten ours yet and will only ask for refund if it turns out things get worse.

vquasarv

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vquasarv

My wife has been ill for the past 2 days with salmonella-type symptoms after eating the nuts.I can't narrow down any flavors, because we ate them all. She has basically spent the past two days camped out in the lou, and also experienced muscle cramps and nausea. I myself had bathroom issues for 2 days, just prior to her, but not nearly as severe. I'm not going to pay to have my pistachios tested by a lab to confirm it has salmonella, but better safe than sorry. I would toss them. Clearly this is no fault of Woots, so I won't be seeking a refund.

"Cause once you're addicted to wine and champagne,It's gonna drive you insane,
Because the world's not so tame." -The Kinks

Logo42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Logo42

Woot, stellar customer service as always. Your customer support was quick and polite in responding to my email regarding the pistachios, which was much appreciated. I'm looking forward to many more Woot purchases!

nmonaco0645

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmonaco0645

Was Woot! distributing nuts that are currently being recalled?? Maybe!?!?!?!?!?

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
thatgrrl wrote:Thanks for the info, Woot gods. I'll mull it over. I ate the 2 smaller bags with no issues, but am worried about the larger bag, which more closely resembles the recalled nuts. It's still unopened. I hate putting you guys on the spot for the cash, though (given that it isn't your fault), and will probably just chuck the bag and be glad that I didn't get sick (even though it sounds as if these are theoretically supposed to not be involved in the recall).

We ate the large bag and did not have any issues at all. Except sadness when they were gone

rstclair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rstclair

What's the consensus here? The Woot pistachios are clearly not on the official list of recalled Setton nuts and Mr. Setton says that Woot nuts are not part of the recall, but I guess I'm still leary of eating them. The stomach issues reported by some make me wonder, but I would still like to eat the yummy pistachios. Perhaps I'll just suck it up and deal with any consequences. I was going to give some of these as a gift to my 72-year-old father, but I believe I'm going to rethink that.

kogaku

vquasarv wrote:My wife has been ill for the past 2 days with salmonella-type symptoms after eating the nuts.I can't narrow down any flavors, because we ate them all. She has basically spent the past two days camped out in the lou, and also experienced muscle cramps and nausea. I myself had bathroom issues for 2 days, just prior to her, but not nearly as severe. I'm not going to pay to have my pistachios tested by a lab to confirm it has salmonella, but better safe than sorry. I would toss them. Clearly this is no fault of Woots, so I won't be seeking a refund.

I don't know what to think anymore... I'd originally thought we were OK -- all I remembered was that they were delicious. Then I remembered that my wife was seriously ill -- how ill? Ill enought that I had to take her to the ER. That's pretty sick. Then I told her about the nut situation, and she said she'd hardly eaten any of them, that I was the one who ate most of 'em.

So, I checked my journal... o-m-letter-that-shall-not-be-mentioned.

I took her to the hospital shortly BEFORE the nuts arrived!

Shortly after I began indulging, I had SEVERE intestinal cramping, and bloody stool. My journal notes attributed it to most likely being due to having eaten some greasy fried chicken. In retrospect, I've eaten plenty of greasy fried chicken in my sixty years on this sphere o' woe, but the only times I've had bloody stool have been when they messed up the removal of precancerous polyps, and, when I took nonsteroidal painkillers -- and, shortly after I began eating these pistachios.

Dang! I *really* LIKE pistachios -- *almost* grabbed a bag of 'em while at the grocery last week. Now, it's looking like it will be a LONG time before they're on the market again -- and with this insane excuse for an "economy" being what it is, I'd HATE to be in the pistachio growing/processing/distribution chain.

I hope they're able to get these nuts back on the market -- and soon. But I'm not optimistic. Damn!

(Now I've got a hankerin' for... pistachios!)

PS: how, you may ask, could someone *forget* something like painful cramping and bloody stool? It's easy, if your baseline for daily ration of PAIN is so great that something like the painful cramping and so forth -- as bad as it was -- was NOT "remarkable" in terms of "pain units." (Yes, it suсks being me. And, I suspect that the reason I didn't have diarrhea too, is the massive painkillers I need to take daily in order to function at all -- they are pretty serious "constipators" so to speak. No vomiting either -- I *can't* vomit due to spinal nerve damage. Mixed blessing, I guess.)

Sorry if that's TMI. Just embrace the cliche (about "if you have your health nothing else really matters" -- it's *really* easy to take it for granted, until you DON'T have it anymore).

PS: I have a friend who won't eat ANYTHING that has ANY "made in China" ingredients. I myself no longer eat pizza or other products made with human hair (I am not making this up -- google for pizza and china and human hair) -- even if they DIDN'T harvest it from hospitals and prisons and worse, I'd STILL have no appetite for it. I am also VERY picky about what I let my cats eat, since the melamine poisoning incident.

But good grief, these nuts are from THIS country!

I'd like to describe what I would consider JUSTICE for the worker who couldn't be bothered to wash his hands after returning from the bathroom to process our FOOD, but frankly, I don't think the remedy I'd consider reasonable is legal in any known venue in this hemisphere.

WHY is it SO much *bother* to wash hands??? Or, to simply ENFORCE the health dep't rules that are probably taped to the wall?

I've heard from enough former restaurant owners -- who will themselves NEVER "eat out" -- that my wife is constantly griping at me for my lack of interest in "eating out."

I wash MY hands before handling food (and after dealing with "digested food"). I wash all implements that come in contact with raw meat -- I keep raw meat separate from all foods that are not to be cooked -- I even insist on "bag the meat separately" at the checkout lane (and segregate it in the cart).

But it's kinda all in vain when something like ROASTED NUTS that couldn't conceivably be contaminated (short of something like a worker with NO concept of sanitation) -- comes sealed up -- and contaminated.

Argh...

kogaku

rstclair wrote:What's the consensus here? The Woot pistachios are clearly not on the official list of recalled Setton nuts and Mr. Setton says that Woot nuts are not part of the recall, but I guess I'm still leary of eating them. The stomach issues reported by some make me wonder, but I would still like to eat the yummy pistachios. Perhaps I'll just suck it up and deal with any consequences. I was going to give some of these as a gift to my 72-year-old father, but I believe I'm going to rethink that.

Latest from the FDA is not to eat ANY pistachios from ANY company -- or anything *containing* pistachios. Apparently they've made their way into the foodstream via MANY companies. They rattled off a list of big-name companies that are involved -- I think it was one of them that discovered the problem via a routine test.

I *almost* bought some "bulk" pistachios at the grocery last week -- they looked ALMOST as good as these, and the price was good, but, I opted to spend my "luxury food" budget on some bok choi and whatnot. Whew!

I would not advise eating ANY pistachios from ANY source until they get a handle on this. It's starting to remind me of the pet food nightmare from a year or so ago -- at first, it was "it's only ONE brand, don't worry" -- so, people kept feeding OTHER brands to their pets, and MASSIVE numbers of cats and dogs died as a result. I watched the list grow daily, in fear -- thankfully, the Purina variety we feed ours was never on the list -- but I still worried. (When the list grows longer every time you blink, you can't help but wonder...)

rlrenfro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlrenfro

I work in the tree nut industry and have worked with Setton Farms. They have always been a top-notch company. Most of the time when salmonella is found in nuts it has come from bird/animal feces from the orchard. Not from people with dirty hands or birds/animals crawling around the production facility.

In this case it seems to be the belief that the cause of this salmonella spreading to roasted nuts is that some raw and roasted nuts were not adequately segregated.

You can go to the FDA website to see all of the recalls, but this list will grow in the next few days/weeks because the bulk product has been repackaged and sold to manufacturers. It takes a little while to identify all the lots involved and notify all of the customers. Then the customers have to notify their customers and so on.

Personally I would like to see mandatory pasteurization of all nuts before people stop eating them completely and I'm out of a job.

If anyone gets sick, they really should go to the doctor. Salmonella can kill you.

I pray that Setton survives this and no one dies.

vquasarv

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vquasarv
rlrenfro wrote:I work in the tree nut industry and have worked with Setton Farms. They have always been a top-notch company. Most of the time when salmonella is found in nuts it has come from bird/animal feces from the orchard. Not from people with dirty hands or birds/animals crawling around the production facility.

In this case it seems to be the belief that the cause of this salmonella spreading to roasted nuts is that some raw and roasted nuts were not adequately segregated.

You can go to the FDA website to see all of the recalls, but this list will grow in the next few days/weeks because the bulk product has been repackaged and sold to manufacturers. It takes a little while to identify all the lots involved and notify all of the customers. Then the customers have to notify their customers and so on.

Personally I would like to see mandatory pasteurization of all nuts before people stop eating them completely and I'm out of a job.

If anyone gets sick, they really should go to the doctor. Salmonella can kill you.

I pray that Setton survives this and no one dies.

irradiation would be my vote.... except in this country any word that contains "radiation" strikes irrational fear into everyone.

"Cause once you're addicted to wine and champagne,It's gonna drive you insane,
Because the world's not so tame." -The Kinks

6502programmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 6502programmer
vquasarv wrote:irradiation would be my vote.... except in this country any word that contains "radiation" strikes irrational fear into everyone.

Funny how people seem to have grown okay with microwave ovens though, and (most) have no problem putting an EM-spewing device up to their ear.

63 woots, 11 burritos

tracylee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tracylee

For those who have had intestinal 'difficulties', I've found that any time I down a bag of nuts of any kind, it has an adverse affect on me.

binaryhermit

quality posts: 3 Private Messages binaryhermit
antaran wrote:Uh oh:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2009-03-30-pistachio-salmonella-probe_N.htm

The plot thickens:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/06/pistachio.recall/index.html?eref=rss_latest

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
binaryhermit wrote:The plot thickens:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/06/pistachio.recall/index.html?eref=rss_latest

my read of that is that the chances are greatly increased that they are expanding recall notice to possibly include the products woot shipped.

We will be on this with a very likely more proactive outreach program if this is confirmed. As noted before, please email service@woot.com to request a refund.

octowoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages octowoot
Snapster wrote:my read of that is that the chances are greatly increased that they are expanding recall notice to possibly include the products woot shipped.

We will be on this with a very likely more proactive outreach program if this is confirmed. As noted before, please email service@woot.com to request a refund.

I don't have any UPC codes or expiration dates to go by, but it certainly appears that pistachio products identical to the ones sold by woot have been recalled (section at bottom):
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/setton204_09.html

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
Snapster wrote:my read of that is that the chances are greatly increased that they are expanding recall notice to possibly include the products woot shipped.

We are moving forward here to more proactively refund all sales transacted here due to the apparent likelihood that Woot shipped goods will be under the expanded voluntary recall guidance. We don't have contact from Setton but we were hinging on this being the best thing to do regardless of this recent recall expansion.

You will receive an email from Woot Service with this official information detailed. It's our guidance to dispose of any pistachios anyone may have left regardless of the 'best by' dates matching.

falcon99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages falcon99

Woot Rocks!!

I just got an email from PayPal notifying me of a refund to my paypal account from Woot.com in relation to these Setton Nuts that were recalled.

Woot - This is one of the reasons you have the faithful following that you have.

THANK YOU WOOT

A Loyal Woot Shopper!

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt

I just got my refund email too, and came here to see what the deal was. I wasn't even considering asking for a refund since my pistachios are long gone with no ill effects. Woot is awesome that they are taking a nearly $29000 hit for this to keep their customers happy.

Yildiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yildiz

Yay Woot!
I just got my refund.

I really appreciate that the hard part - returning the product - has been removed from this recall.
Thanks w00t!

falcon99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages falcon99
Yildiz wrote:Yay Woot!
I just got my refund.

I really appreciate that the hard part - returning the product - has been removed from this recall.
Thanks w00t!

AMEN!

Moonie KC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Moonie KC

Got the refund email as well. Bravo to WOOT for the spiffiest customer service around. I, like many others, ate all the nuts, experienced no ill effects, and would not have asked for a refund for the nuts, let alone the shipping as well which they did not have to do. I will forever be a loyal WOOT customer. They do what it takes to insure the safety and satisfaction of their customers. More businesses should be like this!!! Can I get an AMEN???!!!???