jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed

Game on! Check standings here: http://ebwoot.mayhem.cbssports.com/
tl;dr: click links to join our bracket league

It's that time of year again, where boasts are made, dreams are crushed, and beer is drunk. Some basketball is even played. Now is the time to get your game on again. Since I was lazy and waited until the last minute, we're using the same CBS Sports system from last year, even though some people suggested other places were better. On the plus side, if you participated last year, your registration info should still be good, if you're one of the lucky few who can remember or still have emails saying what your username and password are, or at least enough to get your password reset.

That's great jqubed, but how do I play?

I'm glad you asked! Click your way over to http://ebwoot.mayhem.cbssports.com/e?referrer=MKTG_BM_INVITE

Our password is 'ebw' (no quotes). Register, if necessary, and be sure to join in the fun. Remember, you don't need to know anything about or care for college basketball, and you likely still will do as well or better than people who actually put effort into their picks. Just be sure to make your picks and submit them before Noon EDT on Thursday, March 19.
UPDATE: It appears invitations are needed. You can PM me for one, or try going to the http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy and on the right side of the page click the link where it says "Trying to join a league and haven't received an invite via email? Click here." In the dropdown box, select 'Mayhem' (NOT 'Basketball').
League Abbreviation: ebwoot
League Password: ebw

CBSSports.com Bracket Mangaer email wrote:WARNING: ENTER YOUR BRACKET BEFORE THURSDAY!

IF YOU TRY TO ENTER YOUR PICKS AFTER 11:59 PM ET on WEDNESDAY, YOU RUN THE RISK OF GETTING SHUT OUT.

The first day of NCAA March Madness is the busiest day of the year at CBSSports.com. Starting Thursday morning, millions of folks sign on to finalize their bracket picks before the morning deadline. The high volume of traffic may make it difficult for you to enter your picks.
Don't wait until Thursday, ensure your bracket is entered.

THERE ARE GOING TO BE PEOPLE WHO GET SHUT OUT.
DON'T BE ONE OF THEM!

ENTER NOW:
http://ebwoot.mayhem.cbssports.com/e?referrer=MKTG_BM_INVITE

Don't let the members of your bracket group get shut out, REMIND THEM NOW

Remember, there are no prizes* but the satisfaction of a job well done, and the satisfaction of watching people you don't know post rude things about you on the internet, while pretending to congratulate you.

*Players may be eligible for prizes from the general CBS Sports prizes. There are no prizes for winning our group, though.

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jqubed wrote:Register, if necessary, and be sure to join in the fun.

Error

This is a private fantasy league. You are logged in with userid 'thatidiotno1', which does not have access to this league. If you think this is wrong, please contact the league commissioner and ask for an invite.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

PM JQ

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

jqubed

pooflady wrote:PM JQ

responded

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

no1 wrote:Error

This is a private fantasy league. You are logged in with userid 'thatidiotno1', which does not have access to this league. If you think this is wrong, please contact the league commissioner and ask for an invite.

is there somewhere you need to enter a password for the group? try

ebw

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

jqubed wrote:is there somewhere you need to enter a password for the group? try

ebw

no, it only asks for my username and password. the first screen after logging in gives me the error.

jqubed

no1 wrote:no, it only asks for my username and password. the first screen after logging in gives me the error.

if you have an email you feel comfortable PM-ing me, I can try to invite you using that. I'm trying to find how to make the group public right now.

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

jqubed wrote:if you have an email you feel comfortable PM-ing me, I can try to invite you using that. I'm trying to find how to make the group public right now.

there's a window where i can try to join an existing league. what is the league abbreviation? "Enter the league abbreviation and password as provided by your league commissioner. Make sure that both are entered EXACTLY the way the commissioner entered them when creating the league."

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Bracketed.

jqubed

no1 wrote:there's a window where i can try to join an existing league. what is the league abbreviation? "Enter the league abbreviation and password as provided by your league commissioner. Make sure that both are entered EXACTLY the way the commissioner entered them when creating the league."

Group Abbreviation: ebwoot
Password: ebw

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

pm, mr. qubed.

jqubed wrote:Remember, you don't need to know anything about or care for college basketball, and you likely still will do as well or better than people who actually put effort into their picks.

ah, well, i'm one of the ones that doesn't know anything about college bb anyway.

no1

jqubed wrote:Group Abbreviation: ebwoot
Password: ebw

it tells me that league abbreviation does not exist.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
no1 wrote:it tells me that league abbreviation does not exist.

How about ebwoot.mayhem?

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

no1

pooflady wrote:How about ebwoot.mayhem?

that didn't work, but mr. qubed's email invite did. thanks, mr. qubed!

jqubed

no1 wrote:it tells me that league abbreviation does not exist.

Here's the response from tech support:

Have each owner that is having trouble go to the main fantasy page and click the link along the right side of the page that says Trying to join a league and haven't received an invite via email? Click here. Then they have to select Mayhem, and enter the pool abbreviation, and pool password and they will be in.

That page is here. I think the confusing thing is having to select 'Mayhem' instead of 'Basketball'.

Skye — 1997-2007

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

at the end it says "enter a valid tiebreaker to save"

I answer, huh?
ah, tiebreaker is total score of final game.
of course, I already gave the actual score of the final game, so not sure why they can't get it from that...

anyway, I'm entered. My wife will enter, too.

no1

jqubed wrote:That page is here. I think the confusing thing is having to select 'Mayhem' instead of 'Basketball'.

ah, i didn't even notice "mayhem."

jqubed

no1 wrote:ah, i didn't even notice "mayhem."

it's not really logical

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

My bracket's in. I haven't done one, but you're allowed to make 2 for our game, that way you can follow your heart and send your favorite team to a championship (or stuff the Final Four with your preferred conference, as I did) and still make a more reasonable choice as well.

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

It looks like the link to join is the same, so here's the email you would get if you asked for one. This may save time for you as we get close to the cut-off:

You are invited to join the Everything But Woot online NCAA
March Madness bracket group! To accept this invitation and
join the group, click the link below (or cut and paste the
link into your browser's address bar). You'll be asked to
enter the group's password before you can join. The group
password is included below.

http://ebwoot.mayhem.cbssports.com/e?referrer=MKTG_BM_INVITE

Our Group password is: ebw

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

C'mon Terps! Fear the turtle!

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

here are the notes I made filling out my bracket:

WVU/Dayton - Possible Upset
Washington/Mississippi St - Probably will be a closer game than seeds indicate. Against the same opponents Washington wins 2-1 over Mississippi St and has players with higher PPG averages, but Mississippi St has more depth.
Marquette/Utah St - Probably closer than seeds indicate. Both beat Houstan Baptist by nearly identical scores. Marquette largely only edges out with a few more higher-scoring players but little else. In their harder schedule they mostly lost to ranked opponents.
Oklahoma St./Tennessee - Against the same teams, had the same win/loss record.
Villanova/American - Both lost to Georgetown.
Texas/Minnesota - Won & lost to same teams.
OSU/Pitt - both beat Texas Tech.
Villanova/VCU - Nova beat Rhode Island, VCU lost.
LSU/Butler - Butler beat Xavier while LSU did not, but LSU's better shooting should give them the game.
Illinois/Western Kentucky - Probably closer than appears. Illinois seems to have a tougher schedule but did not do so well late, while Western K should probably be even or maybe even a little better than Illinois in shooting, and they did upset Louisville when Louisville was ranked 3rd in the nation.
Temple/Syracuse - Both teams won/lost to the same opponents.

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

jqubed wrote:here are the notes I made filling out my bracket:

WVU/Dayton - Possible Upset
Washington/Mississippi St - Probably will be a closer game than seeds indicate. Against the same opponents Washington wins 2-1 over Mississippi St and has players with higher PPG averages, but Mississippi St has more depth.
Marquette/Utah St - Probably closer than seeds indicate. Both beat Houstan Baptist by nearly identical scores. Marquette largely only edges out with a few more higher-scoring players but little else. In their harder schedule they mostly lost to ranked opponents.
Oklahoma St./Tennessee - Against the same teams, had the same win/loss record.
Villanova/American - Both lost to Georgetown.
Texas/Minnesota - Won & lost to same teams.
OSU/Pitt - both beat Texas Tech.
Villanova/VCU - Nova beat Rhode Island, VCU lost.
LSU/Butler - Butler beat Xavier while LSU did not, but LSU's better shooting should give them the game.
Illinois/Western Kentucky - Probably closer than appears. Illinois seems to have a tougher schedule but did not do so well late, while Western K should probably be even or maybe even a little better than Illinois in shooting, and they did upset Louisville when Louisville was ranked 3rd in the nation.
Temple/Syracuse - Both teams won/lost to the same opponents.

here are the notes i made filling out my bracket:

- pick up cat food on way home

jqubed

no1 wrote:here are the notes i made filling out my bracket:

i hope your notes are have higher success than mine!

Skye — 1997-2007

lplady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lplady
no1 wrote:here are the notes i made filling out my bracket:

I had a shopping list to pick up a Perdue Oven Stuffer, that's why I picked them to win. No bb knowledge in this brain. l o l

jqubed

lplady wrote:I had a shopping list to pick up a Perdue Oven Stuffer, that's why I picked them to win. No bb knowledge in this brain. l o l

and yet, you're winning!

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

Clemson has failed me for the last time (this year).

VCU was a disappointment. And apparently I mis-remembered who I picked in the Western KY game, because I was rooting them on, only to discover later I'd picked Illinois.

no1, I thought you were going to stick with your woot name, not your real name on the brackets!

no1 - I mean, Jessica Alba - is tied for first with lp lady and Melis62. Congratulations!

1 jessica alba
1 lp lady
1 Melis62
4 Cruzer
4 pamidalab
4 The Real Kenney9226 (1)
7 Joe Barnard
7 Josh Forsythe
7 jqubed
7 Pooflady
7 Schrobblehead
7 SkekTek
7 The Real Kenney9226 (2)
14 Michele Barnard
15 logos54796

Skye — 1997-2007

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
jqubed wrote:Clemson has failed me for the last time (this year).

VCU was a disappointment. And apparently I mis-remembered who I picked in the Western KY game, because I was rooting them on, only to discover later I'd picked Illinois.

no1, I thought you were going to stick with your woot name, not your real name on the brackets!

no1 - I mean, Jessica Alba - is tied for first with lp lady and Melis62. Congratulations!

1 jessica alba
1 lp lady
1 Melis62
4 Cruzer
4 pamidalab
7 Joe Barnard
7 Josh Forsythe
7 jqubed
7 Pooflady
7 Schrobblehead
7 SkekTek
14 Michele Barnard
15 logos54796

"The Real Kenney9226 (2)" bracket is picked with all the higher seeds winning each game with no upsets. It has all the number one seeds playing the number two seeds for the spots in the "final four."

I think I picked North Carolina to win in that bracket, against my common sense.

So for the short term, you can use that bracket as a measure of your picking skill over just blindly picking the higher seeded team in each game!

You are totally welcome!

Kenny

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:"The Real Kenney9226 (2)" bracket is picked with all the higher seeds winning each game with no upsets. It has all the number one seeds playing the number two seeds for the spots in the "final four."

I think I picked North Carolina to win in that bracket, against my common sense.

So for the short term, you can use that bracket as a measure of your picking skill over just blindly picking the higher seeded team in each game!

You are totally welcome!

Kenny

Thanks Illinois for blowing my bracket up. Thanks, Bruce Weber. You failed me again.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Wow, son's school lost to duke 86 to 82.
Considering Binghamton was one of the worst teams and Duke was ranked I think #2....that seems quite good!
Too bad, it would have been cool if they won and knocked one of the contenders out!
They were expected to lose in the first round.

Sports are weird. I bet the team is very happy with that loss being so close.

That is all I know about this.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
dontwantaname wrote:Wow, son's school lost to duke 86 to 82.
Considering Binghamton was one of the worst teams and Duke was ranked I think #2....that seems quite good!
Too bad, it would have been cool if they won and knocked one of the contenders out!

I almost picked Bimmikin because I so much dislike Duke. Apparently my desire to put on a good bracket and not be last was stronger than my distaste for that blue team from NC. I grew up one hour west of Bimmikin!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kenney9226 wrote:I almost picked Bimmikin because I so much dislike Duke. Apparently my desire to put on a good bracket and not be last was stronger than my distaste for that blue team from NC. I grew up one hour west of Bimmikin!

Kids were actually watching the game.
It isn't a sports school. It is filled with kids from schools like our HS, which went a few years without a football team.
Although some of our teams did well, in spite of the indifference.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

jqubed

kenney9226 wrote:"The Real Kenney9226 (2)" bracket is picked with all the higher seeds winning each game with no upsets. It has all the number one seeds playing the number two seeds for the spots in the "final four."

You are totally welcome!

Kenny

Well, I'm doing just as well as if I had blindly picked the higher seed, which goes once again to show that effort does not necessarily equal better placement.

Of course, I'm going to look like a genius when it's an all-ACC Final Four

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

dontwantaname wrote:Wow, son's school lost to duke 86 to 82.

I would've been tiiiiicked if they'd beat Duke...

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

kenney9226 wrote:I almost picked Bimmikin because I so much dislike Duke. Apparently my desire to put on a good bracket and not be last was stronger than my distaste for that blue team from NC. I grew up one hour west of Bimmikin!

I'm a Carolina fan, so I hate d00k, but I pull for all ACC teams in non-conference games, in the belief that what's good for the conference is good for my teams. I was pulling for them last night, though it was apparent many of the UNC fans who had tickets in Greensboro were pulling on the Bearcats

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

Standings After Friday

1 Pooflady
2 Cruzer
2 jessica alba
4 lp lady
4 Melis62
7 Joe Barnard
7 Josh Forsythe
7 Schrobblehead
11 jqubed
11 Michele Barnard
11 pamidalab
14 SkekTek
15 logos54796

Friday did not treat my ACC teams ▬ or the rest of my picks for that matter ▬ very well. Maybe the NHL Playoffs will go better for me...

Skye — 1997-2007

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

jqubed

Standings After Saturday:

1 jessica alba
1 Pooflady
3 lp lady
4 Cruzer
4 Josh Forsythe
6 Melis62
6 Michele Barnard
8 Joe Barnard
8 Schrobblehead
8 The Real Kenney9226 (2)
11 The Real Kenney9226 (1)
12 SkekTek
13 jqubed
13 pamidalab
15 logos54796

Skye — 1997-2007

SkekTek

Purdue won! And I love LPlady's bracket

Another post for the count!

no1

jqubed wrote:Standings After Saturday:

1 jessica alba
1 Pooflady
3 lp lady
4 Cruzer
4 Josh Forsythe
6 Melis62
6 Michele Barnard
8 Joe Barnard
8 Schrobblehead
8 The Real Kenney9226 (2)
11 The Real Kenney9226 (1)
12 SkekTek
13 jqubed
13 pamidalab
15 logos54796

already outdated. i have fallen from my lofty perch.