0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Beer Home Beer Kit Premium Edition
$19.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

Product List:
- 1 Mr. Beer Home Beer Kit Premium Edition

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

AntiCamper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AntiCamper

This would be awesome... But I wonder how the beer would taste?

ItsAaronnnn

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ItsAaronnnn

Do you need to be 21 years of age to buy this product?

soliver

quality posts: 27 Private Messages soliver

I got one of these the first time I brewed. It was fun, but don't expect to get anything good, or drinkable out of it. It is a bit like the 'Big Boy Shaving Kit' my mom got me when I was 13. Yeah, it cut the whiskers, but it didn't do a good job.

docklink

quality posts: 2 Private Messages docklink
AntiCamper wrote:This would be awesome... But I wonder how the beer would taste?

Barley malt filtered through a horse.

Bacchus had it right!!

shifttab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shifttab

Why make this when the best beer Guinness is available EVERYWHERE???

hawk0168

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hawk0168

looks kinda carpy.

also 3.2% beer IS NOT STANDARD COMMERCIAL BEER. WHAT'S GOING ON WOOT? YOU DRINK CARPY BEER

dalenscr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dalenscr

Beer is actually pretty good. If you have some patience and just let it sit (longer than what it says), then it will taste good! I made my first batch a couple of months ago and it turned out well. It needed a little more "hoppiness" but overall the beer taste was there and the alcohol content was sufficient (5-6%)

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes

Can you make root beer with this?

SoCalChris

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SoCalChris

I have one of these, it makes pretty decent beer. I only made three batches with it though before switching to a 5 gallon extract kit (About $100 at most homebrew stores)

This is a good kit though for someone who isn't sure if they want to take up brewing.

Also, if you're interested in brewing, check out the book "How to Brew" by John Palmer. It's available in its entirety for free online, and in print at many book stores.

http://www.howtobrew.com/

choicemedia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages choicemedia

Have one, actually makes pretty good beer. The key is to let it properly age, and drink each bottle within a day or so of opening it.

aquabubl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aquabubl
ItsAaronnnn wrote:Do you need to be 21 years of age to buy this product?

nah man.......u can make it just can't drink your own product.

ckcanada

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckcanada

beer is beer, you can never go wrong/

loba8686

quality posts: 1 Private Messages loba8686

No. Atleast not in Oregon. You can brew underage you just can't consume underage. Which makes no sense because how would they stop you from drinking it?

xradialx86

quality posts: 10 Private Messages xradialx86

@ question: nope, cuz its a kit which equal just ingredients...

spyderman4g63

quality posts: 4 Private Messages spyderman4g63

I would think not. It's not alcohol in the form it is in now.

FoxBox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FoxBox

Nope. I just bought one, and I'm not quite 21 yet.

SpecialDan

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SpecialDan

Is there an age limit on this product? Seems like this could fall into some legal loopholes.

dengelbright

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dengelbright

I have one of these...only used it once because I decided to get serious with beer making after trying this kit.

I was very impressed with the outcome...only takes 2 weeks for the beer. I waited 3 just for fun! 3 of us got well over the legal drinking and driving limit on the whole keg of beer.

A perfect kit for those who want to give beer making a try. Be sure to read all the instructions and you can't omgwin!

pleasekopimi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pleasekopimi

I don't think you need to be 21 to order this.

This would be a riot to have in my dorm room.

K4Lic0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages K4Lic0

I bought my parents one of these for Christmas. It's a great product, and well worth the price here on woot!

The only thing I would say about this is that you'll want to get a different ingredient kit, the one that is included is fine for the first try, but the beer it makes is sub-par taste wise. Also, make sure you follow the instructions VERY carefully, it makes a big difference if you don't do everything thoroughly and just half-ass it.

rebelagent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rebelagent
shifttab wrote:Why make this when the best beer Guinness is available EVERYWHERE???

Because you can drink Guinness and make wannabe Guinness! Cheers to that!

It's like getting drunk and riding a mini trike. It's just something you have to try >.>

---------------------

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

...Now I wish I liked drinking beer.

I bought some recently but I can't enjoy drinking it, so I've been using it in recipes. Beer cheese soup isn't bad: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beer-Cheese-Soup-III/Detail.aspx

brentm3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages brentm3

mmmm...beer. In for 1.

kerneltrap

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kerneltrap

I have one of these that I got from CVS. I may have screwed up, but the beer I made came out flat. You have to add sugar at the end to the actual bottles. It does taste like beer, but it was just flat.

uncchris

quality posts: 6 Private Messages uncchris

[Homer Simpson]Mmmm...beer...aaaagggghhhh[/Homer Simpson]

amspratt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amspratt

is it illegal if you're under 21 to brew your own beer?

probably is. oh well. it's not like i drink anyways. but this is one of those times i wish i did.

MaureenJ8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MaureenJ8

We have one of these, and we found it does best fermenting in a closet. Just don't forget about it until months and months later after it is supposed to be used.....

jseamans78

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jseamans78
CaptainWes wrote:Can you make root beer with this?

No, you can make woot beer!!

ZanduarMagnus

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ZanduarMagnus

I can't seem to get the website for the booster packs to load.

http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/8

petewilkens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages petewilkens

I received one of these many years ago as a present, and it's decent. The kit refills are hard to find, but if you go to a homebrew store they can set up with what you need to brew again.

After a while I gave up on this and went to a full carboy system, but for a beginner this isn't a bad start.

rywagner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rywagner

One of my friends got this set as a christmas gift from someone. Since then he's only made the included Pale Ale, but it was drinkable. He made his too sweet, not sure if that was due to overfermentation or using too much sugar, but it certainly could be rectified.

The commenters who said this was a first-step in a process are certainly correct.

I would not use the included plastic bottles, instead I would go to a local beer supply store and buy some swing-top glass bottles, although cappers and bottles are pretty cheap as well.

In Austin, we use these bottles: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_356_63&products_id=989

We were able to pick up less than a full case of them locally.

chuckschilling

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chuckschilling

This product is a dead end, a novelty. You're not really making beer, and you would be better off putting your money into real beer brewing equipment.

layfay88

quality posts: 9 Private Messages layfay88

do you need to be 21 years of age to buy a bottle opener?

djames42

quality posts: 10 Private Messages djames42
CaptainWes wrote:Can you make root beer with this?

Click on the link for refills. They do have a Root Beer kit listed (as well as several hard cider brew packs).

argyjr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages argyjr
AntiCamper wrote:This would be awesome... But I wonder how the beer would taste?

You'd be surprised! I've had it for over a year and have made about 10 different batches. I picked it up at Bed Bath & Beyond for $30 & the bottles were not included. $25 is a good deal for this if you're thinking of picking up a very tasty hobby!

brunevm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brunevm

First Woot! Hey I'm in college afterall...

War Eagle!

Cycospaz2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Cycospaz2

It is a bit early, but this would make a pretty fantastic Father's Day gift.

BigBalledOX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigBalledOX

I own three of these. The included recipe is very decent, definitely a cut above typical American beers like Budweiser and Miller Lite. The different available recipes are varying but I have tried them all and would rate them from OK to Very Good, there's not a single one I didn't like. The upside is that the refill kits are available in higher potency, and it works out to about $.75 per 12 ounce serving if I remember my math right, so it's pretty economical for what you get.

I've only used the stock refill kits, and while none of them are the best beer I've ever tasted, they are all pretty good, and there's a lot of available recipes too if you want to get creative.

All in all this is a good deal and if I needed any more,I would definitely be jumping on this.

If you're gonna mount it, lick it before you stick it.