Vendictar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vendictar
dwasifar wrote:
I've been reading this thread and laughing at all the people bragging they've successfully ditched Linux in favor of Windows. This is like buying a house and replacing the solid hardwood floors with Pergo. They're so proud of themselves, too. I facepalm to see it.

I always laugh when I read stuff like this. I have used both Linux and Windows and I can safely say the experience is about the same. Both are solid OS's. It's more like Replacing the solid wood floors with a different kind of wood.

But I suppose if making fun of someone because they like Windows makes you feel elite and good about yourself, then why not right?

Anyways, apparently my order will be arriving today. Hope it isn't as bad as some of the posts here would imply.

eviscerator85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eviscerator85

Just got mine in the mail. Period key does not work. This is what I get for buying refurbished.

HSLee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HSLee
eviscerator85 wrote:Just got mine in the mail. Period key does not work. This is what I get for buying refurbished.

If it was properly "refurbished", the bad period key would have been discovered and fixed before they sold it to Woot and then, to you.

Has any other Woot on any "refurbished" item been so bad? This was probably my 10th Woot buy in 3 years with only two of them being a "refurbished" item. Been happy with all the prior buys, but this one really disappoints me. Really looks like someone cut costs along the line....

bronchialstatue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bronchialstatue
eviscerator85 wrote:Just got mine in the mail. Period key does not work. This is what I get for buying refurbished.

Can you remap the keyboard layout as a fix?

Woot seems to have dookie in the past tense the bed on this one.

Bladestorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bladestorm

Mine is being delivered today. When I get off work I plan on thoroughly documenting every problem I may find with pictures and whatnot.

Kebsis

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Kebsis

Got mine today. The 'a' key was coming off a little bit, and was somewhat difficult to push (it did work however). Other than that everything seemed in fine shape, a couple of smudges on it but that's it. I bought it to put by my guitars so I could use the internet to look up tabs, videos and things; I'm glad I didn't buy it for any type of activity that would involve a lot of typing, because even without considering the funky 'a' key, the keyboard is very very small.

Linux seems more intuitive than I thought it would be; I wouldn't like to use it normally but again, for the purposes I bought it for it works great.

All in all, I'm a happy customer. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, a small, cheap computer to do a small job. I couldn't really imagine using it for much more than that though.

Kebsis

HSLee wrote:

Has any other Woot on any "refurbished" item been so bad? This was probably my 10th Woot buy in 3 years with only two of them being a "refurbished" item. Been happy with all the prior buys, but this one really disappoints me. Really looks like someone cut costs along the line....

To answer your question; yes. Several times that I'm aware of, refurbished items often have a forum full of people complaining about this problem or that. Two instances in particular are an refurbed RCA Lyra, and also a Remington electric razor. In my opinion, refurbs on Woot are always kind of a crapshoot.

MDT010

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MDT010

just got mine and it seems to work fine. I'll have to get used to this keyboard, but I imagine that'll just take some time. So far the only issues I'm having are updating software and getting on wireless, but none of that seems to be hardware related. All in all, cute little netbook, and I'm pleased with it so far.

doesn't mean I'm not disappointed in Woot for the ass-slow shipping and the grief other people seem to be getting... hopefully my problems aren't just latent.

fattrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fattrain

Mine arrives today! Man i hope get the good end of the "refurb" coin flip :-P

and Kuddo's to the post above, i feel like i ordered this thing last year it took so long, lol.

~Fattrain (w00ter 4 life)

Tresjolie9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tresjolie9

Hmm, anxiously awaiting mine, it said it was "on the truck" at 7:00 this morning, but I haven't gotten it yet.

Yes, I know patience is a virtue...

fattrain

Tresjolie9 wrote:Hmm, anxiously awaiting mine, it said it was "on the truck" at 7:00 this morning, but I haven't gotten it yet.

Yes, I know patience is a virtue...

LOL, mine was on the truck @ 6:30am! Beat ya! Its 11:20am here now in Cali and they normally get here around 1-2pm (ish)

Tresjolie9

With my kind of luck, what is going to happen is that the fed ex guy is going to decide he wants whatever I got from woot, so it won't be delivered, or it will come a damaged piece of carp :-(

Vendictar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vendictar

Just got mine. Works fine. Got Ubuntu 9.04 on there. Might have to upgrade the ROM and SSD though :P

fattrain

Just got mine!

Took it out, no scratch's looks clean, wasnt packaged the BEST but seems alright.

definitely not a typing keyboard (you're almost forced to do a little hunt and peck, lol)

-But i already updated bios to 1006
-Slapped in 2gb ram ($21 shipped from newegg)
-installing xp from usb flash drive now

I'll post back when its all buttoned up but it's definitely a fun little science project @ this point ;-)

BobK54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobK54

Mine arrived in good condition just before lunch. Has the "Refurbished" label on the side but the seal was ripped open. Tested all the keys and functions, all seems OK so far. Guess I'm in the lucky bunch so far.

ddegroat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddegroat

well, mine arrived today. The keyboard is a complete mess. About 50% of the keys type letters in conjunction with each other and the spacebar does something totally bizarre. I'm disappointed that Woot doesn't spend a millisecond doing a little QC on these things. I have pretty much had it with Woot and electronics. My duh.

cerilak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cerilak

Got mine today - yes the keyboard is small -had fun playing the typing game that came with it and found no problems with the keyboard except that my fingers are too fat. Not great packaging on woot's part - but appears to be working just fine. It is exactly what I expected for so little moolah

Tresjolie9

Mine came, so far, so good!
Plugged it in, got it running, now I'm here :-D

This version of linux isnt bad!

Kebsis

Can anyone recommend a decent/not too expensive SSD upgrade for this thing? An 8gb or 16gb? Also, is replacing the SSD a difficult process?

Thanks

PatS220

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PatS220
Kebsis wrote:Can anyone recommend a decent/not too expensive SSD upgrade for this thing? An 8gb or 16gb? Also, is replacing the SSD a difficult process?

Thanks

Mine just arrived.. All looks good so far. Switched out the .5G Ram for 1G in 30 seconds.

There are just 2 screws holding the SSD in place.

azbobbin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azbobbin

Got mine yesterday loaded Ubuntu 9.04 to it and perfection.

this system is great it was in good condition and only the seal was broke all was in good order though wished I would have bought 3
if any of you dont want yours i will give you a $100

fivedozenwhales

quality posts: 9 Private Messages fivedozenwhales

Mine arrived today, with NO BATTERY. Anybody else have this happen to them?

eroot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eroot

my three arrived today and it seems all is well with all three. lucky for once i guess?

all parts present, upgraded all three to 2gig ram. the "Easy Mode" Xandros for the eee pc has been updated since i bought my first one. i showed it to the two people i purchased for outside of work, and they loved it and wanted to keep it over XP. all that work nliting and slipstreaming an XPS2 for nothing. ;p

i haven't used any of these extensively, but they are in good shape, packaged like my original one was.

hopefully i lucked out on this.

for those lookin gfor supported memory and SSD checkout the http://forum.eeeuser.com
forums.

good information

fattrain

So All done installing XP plus drivers with Firefox it was only 655mb on disk and the rest of the 4gb SSD is free! (Disabled paging file as i put 2gb ram in there).

Great lil beast for what i need it for :-)

Now i have a lil blue-tooth dongle that i can tether to my phone and have internet on the fly with my phone in my pocket... Can't wait!!!

ripprsoul

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ripprsoul

Mine arrived today. It was neatly packed in an open ASUS box, with all the materials present. It is in excellent shape, with no blemishes or obvious defects. If it weren't for the broken seal, I'd swear it was a new unit.

I used a USB stick to update the firmware, then replaced the RAM with a 1GB Kingston PC-4200 that I got from Amazon for $11. Xandros booted up with no issues.

Overall it was like receiving a new unit, except that it is missing the protective sleeve that ASUS usually includes.

briwesk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briwesk

i got mine today WITH NO AC ADAPTER!!
not only that, the battery is dead, so I dont even know if this thing even works!

BurghThing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BurghThing

Well the morons at SpedEx screwed me again. We've been in this house since before Christmas for they refuse to believe it exists, no matter how many times they have to come here to deliver things. Maybe it'll be here before Memorial Day.

briwesk

Well i contacted Asus about my missing AC adapter and they said they cannot do ANYTHING about it. the guy said by the sound of how it was packaged and how the seal was broken, he said it was most likely a refurb of a refurb. As in someone bought it refurbished and just returned it. So being that it has a broken seal and no AC adapter, it is "Sold As-is", also explaining the 3 month warranty by asus means nothing.

now i need to spend another 20+ on ebay or something for an AC adapter if woot doesnt help me out

priehs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages priehs

For those of you who installed a new OS, what's the secret?

I am trying to figure out how to install eeebuntu, but unetbootin doesn't seem to work. Is there an easy solution to this?

Edit: Nevermind. It's installing right now. I didn't realize I could set everything up on a different computer, where unetbootin worked just fine. All is well.

FadedStardust

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FadedStardust

Mine is currently in Sacramento, set to arrive here (in Oregon) on Thursday (though I have high hopes that it'll magically appear tomorrow).

All in all, even though it said "refurbished" on the listing, I've been treating this as simply purchasing a "used" computer, which, from what I've gathered from other people's accounts, is seemingly about the right description. So if there's smdges or "guppy" on the thing, I won't be too overly upset. If the battery or adapter is missing or something, then I'll have a bone to pick with woot. But hopefully it'll turn out ok.

Also, yes, it's taking longer than guppy to get here, but when the shipping only costs $5 and the unit itself is only $150 what do you expect? This is the Universe's way of teaching us patience, lol

fernando65

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fernando65

got mine in on the expected date, looks perfect. put in my crucial ram, works fine. ssd is upgradeable! i was a little surprised at how heavy this thing is, no big deal. despite all the negative posts, i think this was a good woot.

Bladestorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bladestorm
briwesk wrote:....the guy said by the sound of how it was packaged and how the seal was broken, he said it was most likely a refurb of a refurb. As in someone bought it refurbished and just returned it.

That's exactly what I had been thinking. We've all bought units that have already been purchased twice! Luckily mine arrived today, and so far no problems. Just a very minor scratch on the cover.

thepunisher302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepunisher302

Just got mine today. Box was opened but item was in perfect condition and was complete. Looks like it was hardly used. Xanadros was running too slow for my liking so im going to wait for my 2gb ram to get here and install eeeBuntu. I guess I can't expect much from a netBook, I must have gotten spoiled on my uber desktop. Definitely will need a laptop mouse and a bigger keyboard to bring with me out and about.

samstafford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samstafford

Got mine today as well! overall the unit is functional and it did come with all the listed accessories, so I'm happy. but it was in super poor condition- box was haphazardly half-closed, computer showed obvious signs of use including faint water droplet like marks all over the top case, and it would not boot without the previously discussed updates being run. but whatever, it was cheap and it works. although overall the whole experience left me with a kind of disdain for the "refurbished" label on woot products, I guess that is just a risk we take with this site.

mzjezabell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mzjezabell

Well reading all the post' on here..I just feel like this embrangles! This was my first WOOT! purchase and not only do I not have it yet, I am not sure I want the darn thing to even come. I just wanted an inexpensive proportionately sized machine for my 8 yr. old to use to play Gaia and RO and stop bugging me for my laptop. It doesn't sound like this is going to handle the job... Oh, well I tried! I even thought ahead and bought from amazon for $9- a universal ac adapter for laptops(this brand,and my Acer,and my Dell)....Hmm. I can deal with that reality, what I can't deal with is this thing showing up missing an f'n battery???? watching the havoc? Or the bios being faulty and it locking up on me!? If I paid $150 for a "PRETEND" laptop for my 5 year old, I am going to RAISE HELL@!!!

yachi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yachi

I got mine today and I have been using it nonstop and everything works perfectly. The only thing that I am concerned about is the fact that the flash disk came more than 75% full with nothing but the os on it. Is this normal and if not what do I do to fix it? Thanks yall

Amdusias

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amdusias
Vendictar wrote:I always laugh when I read stuff like this. I have used both Linux and Windows and I can safely say the experience is about the same. Both are solid OS's. It's more like Replacing the solid wood floors with a different kind of wood.

But I suppose if making fun of someone because they like Windows makes you feel elite and good about yourself, then why not right?

Anyways, apparently my order will be arriving today. Hope it isn't as bad as some of the posts here would imply.

Yeah it depends on what you want to do. If you want to game, Windows is the only player in town. You just have to accept that you will get infected every time you search for Slydon's student films. If you want to pay double for the same hardware and less software, then Mac is the religion to join. If you want lots of choices and all of your software legally free, and don't mind the "half-finished" feel, Linux.

Mydnyte

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Mydnyte

I finally received mine, and here's my experience so far.

Asus outer box was packed loose in a plain brown box - looked to be okay.

Asus box had the broken seal, as has been seen on others.

Everything appeared to be inside - computer had the fabric between the keyboard and screen installed but no peel-off protective anywhere.

Charged up battery and powered up okay - no apparent damage anywhere.

I was able to update the BIOS with a FAT16-formatted 4GB USB stick. Downloaded the 1006 BIOS ROM version, copied to the USB stick (renamed it as 900.ROM), and pressed Alt-F2 at bootup. It found the stick, found the file and updated the BIOS properly.

I'm now in the process of installing the ubuntu netbook remix - I may investigate other linux distros but I have someone in my office that's much more familiar with ubuntu than I am, so I'm going to start with that.

2GB RAM and larger SSD will be ordered soon.

Overall, a good woot. I know that sometimes getting respiffied isn't the greatest in the world (I've had issues with respiffied HDs in the past and no longer purchase them for anything other than non-critical storage) but since this one was also a respiffied, I may look into the SquareTrade warranty as an add-on to the 90 day Asus warranty (thanks for the correction earlier).

Over FOUR HUNDRED Woots and counting.....

briwesk

after telling woot that I did not recieve an AC adapter, i was given the response of "check the box more, as you may have overlooked it".

WOW, i am so mad right now. I have a 150 paperweight

mwhawkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwhawkin

Put me in the satisfied camp. Arrived in an awkwardly shaped box, that the eepc sat in sort of side-saddled. I have to say, I was worried. But everything was fine within. I'm typing on it right now, and not nearly as odd of an experience as I was expecting. Interestingly, NewEgg shipped my 8gb SD card I bought for this machine in a LARGER box than the eepc came in -- good work NewEgg! I have easy peasy ready to install, but so far I am impressed by the included Linux distro. With my luck I usually get the lemon, but not this time!