+ Add a Comment

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

If you use our world-famous hot ‘n’ spicy forums in the next week or so, you may notice that the little square next to your username has changed colors. Don’t be alarmed. Your account has not been hacked. This discoloration is not a symptom of disease. As you probably know, the user experience badge, or “qube”, as some of you kooks call it, denotes how many Woot purchases you’ve made. Due to Woot’s freakish growth rate, we’re dumping the old five-color system like a leaky bedpan and instituting this new eight-step qube regime in its place:

Now, if you’re upset that you’ll be losing your coveted black square, all we can say is “Good. That was the point.” See, when we started this whole rigmarole three-plus years ago, wooters with 25 or more purchases were a rare breed, an exalted echelon, a true elite. But back then we only had about 300,000 members, and now we’re up well beyond 2 million. And all of our members keep buying so much stuff. So now the elite ain’t so elite anymore. The whole better-than-everybody-else vibe doesn’t work if too many people are better than everybody else. It’s time to pull the velvet rope back. If you want to fly the black flag these days, you have to be truly, madly, pathologically unusual. Here’s the before-and-after in clean, antiseptic graph form.

Just 0.19% of wooters were in the top tier back then; over time, that had grown to 3.16%. Now that black box is available to only a tiny sliver of wooters once again, the way it should be: 0.11%, or about 1,400 purchasing wooters out of roughly 1.3 million, have made at least 100 purchases.

Why didn’t we set the bar that high to begin with? Well, three years ago, there were only two of you who’d bought that much from us. Two!

Speaking of the true outliers, it’s worth mentioning that right now there are two psychotic wooters with more than 500 purchases. We won’t embarrass them by name, but the most active tops out at 588 purchases, the second at 514, and the third most-active at a mere 423. We’re guessing all three of them also have the kind of cluttered house that gets you into Ripley’s Believe It Or Not: “Radley McGuinn of Bedford, Ore. owned over 500 cartoon penguin t-shirts.” But hey, what they do with their woots is their business (in more than one sense).

So how do you like your new color? Are you one of the 25-49ers despairing at your imminent loss of status? Are you a 10-purchases type looking forward to an effortless bump upward? Will you miss the old blue qube more than you like the new orange, green, and purple ones? Are you baffled and amazed that anybody cares about this stuff? Lay it on us in the forums below as we gear up for next week’s big change. And remember, there’s only way to move up to the next level…

unusualpsycho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unusualpsycho

This is shocking to say the least. I am very distressed to learn that I will be forced to trade in my awesome black square for a sad little purple one. I must now force myself to remain positive and try and keep in mind that I only have 47 purchases to go to reclaim my black square.

FrostByte

quality posts: 11 Private Messages FrostByte

I was hoping for a little icon to indicate the charter members, but alas, it appears I'll just take my new color and be on my way. I will miss being better than everyone else though. With the new kids.woot, however, I might be back in black sooner than I'd hope!

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

woot 56 wine 5 shirt 35 sellout 12 kids 27 hh 2 moofi 3 home 7 sport 6
electronics 3 pop 4 tools 2 a&w 4 computers 0 total 166

funkymonkyake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages funkymonkyake

I don't even remember how many purchases i have. Does this include purchases from Shirt.woot as well?

FrostByte

quality posts: 11 Private Messages FrostByte
funkymonkyake wrote:I don't even remember how many purchases i have. Does this include purchases from Shirt.woot as well?

I'm pretty sure that it includes any of the woot sites.

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

woot 56 wine 5 shirt 35 sellout 12 kids 27 hh 2 moofi 3 home 7 sport 6
electronics 3 pop 4 tools 2 a&w 4 computers 0 total 166

roningaijin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roningaijin

I'm just posting this to see what my color is.

*edit* these rules aren't in effect yet. I guess I'll be green.

funkymonkyake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages funkymonkyake
FrostByte wrote:I'm pretty sure that it includes any of the woot sites.

good, cuz i bought a lot of shirts. Maybe i will keep my status...

kdog311

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdog311
roningaijin wrote:I'm just posting this to see what my color is.

Ha!

madigan82

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madigan82

I never even realized there were cubes next to our names. Of course I've only posted I think twice before.

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
roningaijin wrote:I'm just posting this to see what my color is.

*edit* these rules aren't in effect yet. I guess I'll be green.

If I counted right, I'm at 83. A royal purple wooter. I wonder if any staffers are better than the rest of us yet. (My bet's on Snapster, you don't see him not in a shirt.woot shirt anymore.)

mearlus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mearlus

Only 37 more to go to become better than everyone else again!

The wife is going to kill me...

wend0144

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wend0144

I've decided that your qube should be displayed next to you name in the header (where you log in or it shows that you're logged in with the 'My Account' link and 'Log Out' links). I think that would be neat. And have the roll-over be the exact number of purchases (so we don't have to count them all on four sites). That'd be nice.

Like so:

Welcome [] wend0144
My Account | Log out

Please? :-)

LadyCrymsyn

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LadyCrymsyn
wend0144 wrote:I've decided that your qube should be displayed next to you name in the header (where you log in or it shows that you're logged in with the 'My Account' link and 'Log Out' links). I think that would be neat. And have the roll-over be the exact number of purchases (so we don't have to count them all on four sites). That'd be nice.

Like so:

Welcome [] wend0144
My Account | Log out

Please? :-)

Well, it would very likely be incentive for some to buy more stuff. After all, then you can see the "only x more woots to go for the next colour."

When you go exploring, be sure to take a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.

gqbriggs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gqbriggs

I too want to know if the other sites purchases will tally here too. =-)

Horseradish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Horseradish
gqbriggs wrote:I too want to know if the other sites purchases will tally here too. =-)

Does purchasing more than one ("I want two" or "I want three") increase the total, or is it only the purchase itself that's part of the metric?

Armoracia rusticana
Kansas City, MO USA

unusualpsycho

LadyCrymsyn wrote:Well, it would very likely be incentive for some to buy more stuff. After all, then you can see the "only x more woots to go for the next colour."

So close...there are 5 sites.

unusualpsycho

Horseradish wrote:Does purchasing more than one ("I want two" or "I want three") increase the total, or is it only the purchase itself that's part of the metric?

All 5 sites count in the tally, but only the purchase counts and not how many you order.

Dick Murdock

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dick Murdock

Well, I only have 78 to go now.

interestedparty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages interestedparty

when will i loose my status?

jlh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlh

wow, I didn't know I had a color - and it appers I'm only a couple of purchases away from what should be my true status before you change the bar

cjorgens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjorgens

also posting to see what color i have now...

ccase

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ccase

Status check. 1...2...3...

edit: ooh, I have 1 quality post as well.

bigbill25

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigbill25

Why use hard-coded numbers? Why not make it a pure percentage thing so it keeps pace with Woot's growth:

Black Box: Top 0.1%
Purple Box: Top 0.2%
Green Box: Top 2.0%

and so on...

--Bill

crackley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crackley

So much for "Once you go black, you never go back."

I'm kind of glad now that I hadn't made it to black yet. To have it taken away would just be too painful.

bightie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bightie

From my account:
WOOT- 61 orders, 115 items, $2,017.95
SHIRT- 15 orders, 35 items, $324.88
SELLOUT- 3 orders, 7 items, $288.93
KIDS- 1 order, 1 item, $54.99
WINE- 0 orders, 0 items, $0
SUBTOTAL- 80 orders, 158 items, $2,686.75

From my wife's account:
WOOT- 55 orders, 123 items, $1,355.97
SHIRT- 26 orders, 44 items, $364.82
SELLOUT- 5 orders, 13 items, $126.87
WINE- 1 order, 1 item, $19.99
KIDS- 0 orders, 0 items, $0
SUBTOTAL- 87 orders, 181 items, $1,867.65

TOTAL- 167 orders, 339 items, $4,554,40

And neither of us are special enough for a black square... WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US WOOT?!?!

What a long strage trip it has been:
--First woot order: 8/16/06
--8 B.O.C's that were nothing but C
--16 random bags of shirt
--Red, Green, Black, Blue, Pink, Orange and Brown-cammo screaming monkeys
--We have purchased 17 leak frogs!
--I bought an animatronic Elvis
--We have lots of random junk: moving lips speaker phones, wake the wizard, robo-sapiens/reptiles and some truly W.T.F shirts

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

0.11%
Really?
But I don't buy anything! Honest! I don't know where those woot boxes and envelopes come from.

Hubby only has 34. Of course, he doesn't even know he has an account, other than when the charge shows up on his charge card.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

MHBoston

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston

Oooh. I love purple. If I can't be black, I'll gladly be purple!

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 24 | k.w ~ 1 |

devzero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages devzero

I'm not quite sure I really want to know how many times I've gone above 25...

kojiro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kojiro

So who the hell buys 100+ items from woot? How many goddamn Roomba's can you own?

unixrab

quality posts: 10 Private Messages unixrab

Jason Toon is the devil. First woot 3.0 puke green...now.... I have to be barney-purple... ????!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hobbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hobbit
kojiro wrote:So who the hell buys 100+ items from woot? How many goddamn Roomba's can you own?

Roombas???? LOL it is the leak frogs!!!!

unixrab

quality posts: 10 Private Messages unixrab
bigbill25 wrote:Why use hard-coded numbers? Why not make it a pure percentage thing so it keeps pace with Woot's growth:

Black Box: Top 0.1%
Purple Box: Top 0.2%
Green Box: Top 2.0%

and so on...

--Bill

they'll need to do this again in 3 years.... /poop

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ncbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ncbob

Huh, I never even knew I had a Qube

But GREEN, I'm gonna be GREEN??????

mburrough

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mburrough

I like it. I'm a big fan of stats, but hadn't picked up on the color differences. Now that I know - and they are getting more granular, even better.

mckinnonw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mckinnonw

I have to post just to figure out what I am...

ruadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruadog

I guess I'll have to enjoy being green.

I'm most surprised by the fact that well over 50% of all members have either bought nothing or just 1 item.

hhumbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hhumbert

I didn't even know that I had a black square. I don't even post that much. I just buy, buy, buy.

Woot-elk: (n) someone who has more woots than posts on woot.com

* 17 Woots starting on 2/21/2006, latest woot: 12/6/2006
* Total boxes of crayons: 0/3 attempts
* Worst woot purchased: Mediocre 4x15 Binoculars - 2 Pack
* Best woot: Cleveland HiBore Titanium Driver

marksorelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marksorelle

Just wanted to see my qube.

bujoojoo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bujoojoo

checking the qube...

devyanks90