+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

TomTom 4.3” Touchscreen Portable GPS w/ Text to Speech, IQ Routes & Lane Guidance

Speed to First Woot:
0m 58.000s
First Sucker:
apberry
Last Wooter to Woot:
chuckfarmer
Last Purchase:
5 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 34% of Woot.com Woots
Top 34% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 6% of Woot.com Woots
Top 3% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 24% first woot
  • 11% second woot
  • 36% < 10 woots
  • 18% < 25 woots
  • 11% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 19% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 28% one year old
  • 50% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 94% bought 1
  • 5% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

5%
1%
1%
1%
2%
3%
5%
9%
11%
9%
8%
6%
5%
4%
4%
4%
3%
3%
3%
3%
3%
3%
3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

baffles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baffles

Woot Info Post
I brake for wooters.us!

TomTom 4.3” Touchscreen Portable GPS w/ Text to Speech, IQ Routes & Lane Guidance [Refurbished] - $109.99 + $5 shipping

1 * TomTom XL340-S 4.3” Touchscreen Portable GPS w/ Text to Speech, IQ Routes & Lane Guidance

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

DCno10

quality posts: 376 Private Messages DCno10

tomtom's product website

jessiebyrd004

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jessiebyrd004

Alatest experts give it 77/100, users give it 62/100 and somehow that averages out to a 94/100 score.
http://alatest.com/reviews/gps-reviews/tomtom-xl-340-s/po3-74455514,15/

But the 4.7 stars average from Buzzillions has me convinced.
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/tomtom-one-xl-gps-unit-reviews

I do a daily woot blog where I talk about the woot, link to CSEs, find reviews, etc. A few people have told me it's useful. Google "useful linkage" and there it is.

DCno10

quality posts: 376 Private Messages DCno10

Walruski

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Walruski

Here is Cnets review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/tomtom-xl-340-s/4505-3430_7-33606060.html

edelman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages edelman

i have a tomtom and i love it... just moved to SF and would not be able to navigate the city w/out it. only thing it's missing is the bus routes, but then again, well, the bus driver doesn't need a tomtom, so...

tubatime1010

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tubatime1010

What exactly is "lane guidance"? Does this mean it will actually say "Get in the left lane" so that I will no longer have to look like a moron when my exit comes up and I have to cut across traffic?

daewootech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daewootech

son of a B$&*$ i just bought this somewhere else...

sevensixtytwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sevensixtytwo

maybe if it came with all the maps.

i can't keep talking my hands are in my pockets, i'll see you later

ttkk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ttkk
tubatime1010 wrote:What exactly is "lane guidance"? Does this mean it will actually say "Get in the left lane" so that I will no longer have to look like a moron when my exit comes up and I have to cut across traffic?

Yes. You will be informed of what comes up next (exit on the left or right).

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Is the color on this thing really that goofy? Looks like a lot of pink and blue. Kinda like those old CGA games of the past.

hass0002

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hass0002

Who doesn't already own a GPS?!

mmiteshm

quality posts: 133 Private Messages mmiteshm

Kn1nJa

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Kn1nJa

froogled

+5 signature of epicness!

docflash

quality posts: 16 Private Messages docflash
sevensixtytwo wrote:maybe if it came with all the maps.

the description says it *does* have the maps.

"i don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top." --anon
more quotes.

zen21tao

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zen21tao

Gadget TV video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56M4isgWT5U

kannankk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kannankk

Is it worth paying over $100 for a "refurbished" GPS?!

Leslie14

quality posts: 77 Private Messages Leslie14

We are currently using a Garmin and hate, hate, hate that everytime I enter an address have to enter, the city and state EACH TIME.

Does the Tom Tom Store your "base" address so that when looking up and address you can skip the city and state and skip right to the address portion?

Hope that made sense.

rubysoho

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rubysoho

Does anyone know if this can be used for walking routes? I've read reviews/specs of some that allow you to use them in your car, or on your bike, or on foot. I wouldn't mind being able to know my way around on foot when I'm visiting a new city. Bus routes would be nice for those of us riding buses. Maybe I should just get an iPhone - I'm sure they have apps for all of these things...

geekettebits

quality posts: 15 Private Messages geekettebits

Found it on Amazon for $149, 3.5 stars after 84 customer reviews!

Found it on Newegg for $179, 3 stars, 6 reviews.

prateeko

quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko

Just a FYI, TomTom offers optional voice packs. The coolest one is Homer Simpson, but I believe there is also one from John Cleese:
http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=4

Walruski

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Walruski

Well I am in for one. I was going to spend $100 on a touchscreen kit for my EEE PC 900 , another $50 on a USB GPS adapter, plus another $50 on Gamrin Mobile PC. I think this is a more viable option.

mmiteshm

quality posts: 133 Private Messages mmiteshm
tubatime1010 wrote:What exactly is "lane guidance"? Does this mean it will actually say "Get in the left lane" so that I will no longer have to look like a moron when my exit comes up and I have to cut across traffic?

TomTom’s Advanced lane guidance gives you extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions. So you won’t miss your turn or have to make sudden, dangerous lane crossings.

When you approach complex motorway intersections, you also get a still 3D image on your screen that clearly indicates the lane(s) you need to take. Advanced lane guidance keeps you relaxed and safe through even the most complex intersections and in even the heaviest traffic.

Let’s take an example:
You’re on the outskirts of Paris, driving on the ‘Autoroute du Soleil’ towards Lille, when a complex junction approaches (see diagram).

http://www.tomtom.com/page/lane-guidance

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-

TomTom makes great navigators, own two, A high end GO 920 and an XL-S. Bought both around New Year's time frame, some 10 months ago... I especially love how you can download hundreds of voices for it, or create your own!

Word of warning:
TomTom used to give new map guarantee to all units, so that if your shipped with old version of the map, you could get a free update.

As of sometime in January this year there is no longer new map guarantee for refurbished TomToms!

I bought my GO refurbished last December, and was able to take advantage of the new map free upgrade. Bought refurb XL-S a month with a change later and when tried the same trick, the CSR informed me that it's no longer available for refurbs! So keep that in mind, the map it comes with is the map you're going to get stuck with, or pay $100+ for an upgrade!

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

I wonder how it works in the wilds of Montana.

www.howlingdead.com

dudeleocious

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dudeleocious

Now I wonder why Woot would advertise a map showing Cleveland, Ohio. Who paid them to help boost their tourism?

p8ball4life

quality posts: 1 Private Messages p8ball4life

How up to date are the maps? 08, 09, 10??

docflash

quality posts: 16 Private Messages docflash

i've had lots of gps units over the years. the last 3 or 4 i've bought have been tom-toms. they've got the interface working well, and the performance is good.

like any other gps, you need to keep your eye on the road. i recall one older tom-tom one that tried to route us from a spot on the shore of vancouver island to downtown. it was a pretty direct route, however it was a *ferry* route.

I Am Not Making This Up (tm dave barry).

still, this is a good company and seems to be a very good deal. if i didn't still have an extra sitting in my closet as a potential gift, i'd get it.

"i don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top." --anon
more quotes.

ccmacy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccmacy

Hmm: You can get this new at http://www.buy.com/videoclip/tomtom-xl-340-portable-gps-system-4-3-touchscreen-iq-rou/75450.html

For $134.99 with free shipping.....

Love to shop woot when possible, but it seems like a better deal than buying a refurbished one...... Sorry- going to pass on this one...

wiznit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wiznit

The refurbished ones are trouble. I've had two go bad on me and had to throw them out.

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink

Can someone please advise what year/series the maps/POI (points of interest) are? If we'll have to update soon after purchase that diminishes the price. The map and POI updates are usually $50++

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

socalwoman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages socalwoman

I do need a new GPS but I'd prefer to get one that is traffic-enabled.

Seize the Carp!

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725

It actually pulls up a picture of the lanes leading up to the exit and slaps a big bold arrow in the lane(s) that you should be driving in to most easily navigate the exit.

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
dudeleocious wrote:Now I wonder why Woot would advertise a map showing Cleveland, Ohio. Who paid them to help boost their tourism?

Heh, a couple of us are originally from the Cleveland area. =) Some of us have more kidneys left than others though.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

prateeko

quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko

Okay, so apparently there are a LOT of voices you can download (so you don't just have to listen to the annoying computer-woman-voice):
http://www.navtones.com/products/tomtom

MR. T is there, as is Gary Busey!

Also, a sample of the Homer/Simpsons voice!

http://www.tomtom.com/page/simpsons?Lid=4

Jtfalcon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jtfalcon

Pass on this one..Horrible reviews and lack of update is a no-no in my book

jsimon1943

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsimon1943

Your answer awaits here.

Roostalee

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Roostalee

How do Tom Tom models stack up against those from Garmin? I've been using Garmin for about 10 years now (I had a GPS 12 back in the day) but I'm curious if Tom Tom is as good..or better.

Not trying to start a flame war here, just asking for some thoughts from anyone who has used both brands.

Potrzebie!

VeloSteve

quality posts: 5 Private Messages VeloSteve

Is there any way to try out the routing online (i.e. before I buy)?

Most online maps, such as Google's, and at least some GPS systems send people on roads near my home which have been closed for decades. If TomTom gets this right, I'd buy one just because it might mean that they are better in other areas as well.