Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

As today's Woot writeup and every single news outlet on the continent has indicated, there's something flying-fishy about that whole balloon boy panic from last week. While we've asked the hard questions, answers aren't really our department. That's where we're hoping you guys come in. And we're also hoping that Woot has something to do with the hoax/swindle/whatever, because we could use the publicity.

Show us the role that a Woot product, past or present, played in the Great Colorado Weather-Balloon Scare of Aught-Nine.

Post your entry here by 11:59 AM (central) on Monday, October 26, 2009. Prizes are $20/$50/$100 for 3rd/2nd/1st. The rules and criteria for winning: our panel of volunteer judges can and will make stuff up as it goes along. Use Photoshop, linoleum blocks, pastels, MSPaint, cave painting, tattoos, tribal scarification, whatever, but it’ll only be judged if it’s visible in our forums as a jpg, gif, or png. As we are fond of saying, try to keep your maximum width to 550px. If you need a place to host your pictures, try www.imageshack.ws or www.photobucket.com. We have no connection to either, but they seem free and easy to use. And if you want us to be sure your entry was indeed your work, post links to your source images. The more sure we are that you did your own work, the more likely we are to consider it for a prize.

ActorTom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ActorTom

It's been 10 (ten) weeks since Contest 231 closed, and still no results.

You maybe ought to check with your staff's legal team. I think some states may require, by law, that promotional contest results be made available within a certain time period of the close of the contest. Some may be as short as six (6) weeks.

DerHirnFanger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DerHirnFanger

The Balloon-Boy one sounds hilarious. I think I'll give that one a shot.

FedUpOldHag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FedUpOldHag

Sources:
Hoover Windtunnel Cyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum
Balloon
Richard Heene
actual balloon filler

I know vacuums suck in... but if you hook the tube to the filter it blows out!

doctorclark

quality posts: 9 Private Messages doctorclark

Is anyone else as mad as I am that "aught" never caught on? I'm going to say aught-nine for the year every day until December 31st Aught-Nine just to make up for it.

Kudos, Woot!

What's it going to be then, eh?

stunnard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stunnard

sources: http://www.woot.com/Forums/Default.aspx?p=13
http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/falconfamilyR_450x350.jpg

theangrybuddha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theangrybuddha

gwbids

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwbids

By the way... Our keen investgative journalists were the first to report that it wasn't Falcon Heene; only a creature with a slight resemblance.

Take that, TMZ!

gwbids

This contest is in REALLY poor taste. But then, so is my entry.

Balloon
Richard and Falcon Heene
Tonya Harding and Danny Bonaduce
HD TV

ActorTom

doctorclark wrote:Is anyone else as mad as I am that "aught" never caught on? I'm going to say aught-nine for the year every day until December 31st Aught-Nine just to make up for it.

Kudos, Woot!

I've adopted the British nomenclature "naught."

Thus this decade has been the naughties!

pantonie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pantonie

Blind we are, if creation of this hoax we could not see. -Yoda

source 1
source 2

milenko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages milenko

Source 1
Source 2

Hope this contest includes woot.shirts?

Rob Tanner

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915

Heene Hoax brought to you by Vornado Fans

mrtuba9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrtuba9

Hmn, anyone thinking mini-rc helicopter that contributed to the illusion that the balloon *could* actually hold a 37lb. child (or coconut for that matter)?

60 woots, 102 items, 34x1, 7x2, 18x3 (3x3 ßÕÇ-now retired), 9 unique shirt.woot, 1 sellout.woot <--OUTDATED (except the martini ;')

gwbids

gwbids wrote:By the way... Our keen investgative journalists were the first to report that it wasn't Falcon Heene; only a creature with a slight resemblance.

Yes. And if you look closely, that's not just a balloon... it's a Roomba-lloon!

beatfarmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beatfarmer

Kn1nJa

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Kn1nJa

Ah HA! Those black and decker batteries ARE useful!

Sources:
CNN

Amazon

+5 signature of epicness!

gwbids

Jason Toon wrote:
“…we're also hoping that Woot has something to do with the hoax/swindle/whatever, because we could use the publicity. Show us the role that a Woot product, past or present, played in the Great Colorado Weather-Balloon Scare of Aught-Nine.”

Well, Mr. Toon, be careful what you wish for.

(Reporter’s Voice)
“ In breaking news, Federal marshals today charged Jason Toon, self proclaimed “communications dude” of popular Internet deal site Woot, with a list of charges stemming from the Heene “Balloon Boy” hoax. He was arrested at Woot’s Carrollton, Texas office and later transferred from the Carrollton, Texas police facility to the custody of Federal marshals. He is charged with conspiracy in the balloon hoax for supplying past and present Woot products used in perpetrating the hoax. When questioned about his participation, Toon was quoted as saying, ‘I cannot comment on this case, but I will say that this media frenzy is giving everyone involved exactly what they wanted.’

Woot’s Chief Executive Officer Matt Rutledge could not be reached for comment and, although he is under investigation, is not currently considered a suspect in the hoax.

Toon could receive up to six years in prison for his participation in the balloon hoax. However, inspectors from the U.S. Postmaster's office have stated that they are considering filing additional charges against Toon in an unrelated Federal mail fraud matter involving running cash-prize contests via the Internet without paying out the prizes. We will bring you more details as this story unfolds.”

Communications Dude Comment
HDTV
Heene Balloon
Roomba
Woot Logo
Jason Toon
Prisoner Transfer
Carrollton, Texas Police

rosacola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rosacola
beatfarmer wrote:

Winner!!

stereo3d

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stereo3d

Cptamazing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cptamazing

With the contests as indication of your attention to your customers, I will not only stop contributing, I am not buying your woot items either.

gwbids

Cptamazing wrote:With the contests as indication of your attention to your customers, I will not only stop contributing, I am not buying your woot items either.

ALL of us are disappointed and some of us are angry that Woot feels it's loyal visitors are not worth an hour a day of results posting. There are some of us that just chop for fun though. My complaint is that the last few contest ideas have been kinda 'dumb'... with not too many ways to be creative. Like this one for instance. How many ways can you chop a picture of a balloon and some people that no one really cares about. Obviously not too many as there are less than 20 entries and they are already repeating. I put a Roomba on the balloon and a few pix later someone did exactly the same thing in the same place. See what I mean? No place for creativity.

FYI - For paying customers, Woot's customer service is excellent in my experience.

bradcrc

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bradcrc

bradcrc

easy1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easy1

gwbids

"See Falcon, it's perfect. There's plenty of room in here but no one can
find you. You hide here while I get the balloon. Don't come out until
I get you, and don't talk to anybody."

Images used in this chop include a garage attic, box, woot box printing, Falcon's dad, HDTV,robot, woot monkey, Bag of Cr*p, Yoda and Han Solo bobble heads.

gwbids

Like a reporter at a train wreck, I just can't seem to walk away from this tragic contest.

majit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages majit

Images used for this Woot Animation DVD Four Pack include Up and the Heene Balloon.

plinth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages plinth

sources
balloon
ufo

zilla81

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zilla81

bradcrc

zilla81

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zilla81
bradcrc wrote:

Ok, that's just creepy. I'm going to have nightmares now. Scare tactics now to get our results?

stereo3d

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stereo3d

ggrr8t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ggrr8t
FedUpOldHag wrote:

Sources:
Hoover Windtunnel Cyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum
Balloon
Richard Heene
actual balloon filler

I know vacuums suck in... but if you hook the tube to the filter it blows out!

Yah daht vuz a ghood vun!

Yes pablo MORE!

ggrr8t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ggrr8t

I reallyy gotta come to Woot more often. You guys have some great imagination, skills and ggr8t senses of humor!

Yes pablo MORE!

ActorTom

gwbids

If you are going to continue to do (or more precisely, not do) things that are going to make us poke fun at you, Mr. Toon, we are going to need more source photos of you posted to Woot or the Internet.

P.S. - 11 weeks and counting since #321. Still no winners.

ActorTom

gwbids wrote:
P.S. - 11 weeks and counting since #231. Still no winners.

It's been over 5 months since the last pay-out. WHAT HAPPENED TO QUARTERLY PAYMENTS???

turrets11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turrets11
ActorTom wrote:It's been over 5 months since the last pay-out. WHAT HAPPENED TO QUARTERLY PAYMENTS???

I like how the communication dude hasn't communicated. If I were Paris Hilton, I'd be tempted to say something like: That's so Woot!