I just received my 8 GB Clip in the mail. Here are my thoughts:
- Excellent sound. I'm currently using a very nice pair of headphones, and the sound quality is wonderful. I haven't tried the included earbuds, but I suspect they will be adequate, though not spectacular. However, if you have a decent pair of headphones, canal phones, etc., this little device will not disappoint.
- FM Radio antenna isn't the strongest. The local classical station comes through with a bit of static. There's also no way to fine tune the frequency. However, asking it to auto determine station presets seems to help to a small degree.
- Recording off the radio works terrifically, and it seems strange, but the recording actually seems to be of better quality than listening to the radio directly. I don't know if I just happened to catch a clear patch while I was recording or what, but it was encouraging.
- Recording creates files in WAV format, so be advised that it will be a memory hog compared to your MP3s.
- I believe the system requirements indicate a need for Media Player 10 or higher, but you can just as easily drag and drop your files from directory to directory. Directory structure doesn't seem to be an important factor, as it scans the MP3s to pull album titles and band names, and allows you to search by either. This is great because you can create in internal directory structure that is comprehensible to you without impeding the functionality of the device.
- There are a ridiculous number of language options including Spanish, French, Italian, German, Finnish, Greek, and Japanese. Although I have not experimented with it, I suspect that it will handle extended character sets in MP3 file names.
- Be advised that like many devices, you can't use this one while it is plugged in via USB. Also, you may not see it register as a device on your computer until it receives a full charge.
In short, I'm far from disappointed. This is a great little device. It's simple enough to use that I would recommend it for the non-gadget inclined, and the price point is low enough that you can get one for each of your kids and not cry when it winds up lost or smashed.
Consider this as a great stocking stuffer.