xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss
901Memphis wrote:Pretty good deal for a basic HTPC or basic web browser, light duty rig. Has respectable base ram and hard drive space, the processor is a solid entry level dual core as well.

The motherboard should have 1x PCI-16X slot and 2 PCI-E 1x slots.

So you can add 1 good PCI-E 16X video card to this to make it a medium duty gamer, maybe up to 1680 x 1050 with a decent video card, but don't spend too much on the video card, because this thing only has a 280 watt power supply as far as i know, so if you want to throw something like an ATI HD 4850 you would HAVE to upgrade the power supply to even get it to run anything 3D.

I would recommend something like a Corsair CX/VX 400/450 or higher for an ATI 4850/4870 or lower, or maybe a 5770. If your going to spend more than $200 on a video card, don't buy this thing, its a waste; just build custom. Remember this CPU will limit your FPS at lower resolutions.

If your going to use the stock power supply and upgrade the video card the highest video card you could probably run on this thing would be a 4650 that has a TDP below 60 watts, which would leave no room for overclocking the video card.

If you want this as is to browse the web, play mp3s, stream videos, play flash based games this will be a great computer. The onboard intel X3100 graphics with the dual core processor CAN run full 1080P without a video upgrade; incase anyone is wondering.

seriously? Ok , so the power supply is a bit weak but telling everyone that this is only good for surfing and email is down right criminal. This system will do EVERYTHING you want it to do. I am sure there is some rarefied air that might pose a minor slow down in computing an answer like , oh , maybe running a SEELECT * FROM a 10 to the eleventy hundreth power line access database or maybe trying to open a 42 terabyte text document but really? only good for web browsing and email? A laughable post at best...and at the worst, blatant misinformation and arrogance.

/rant

P.S. might be in for one after I check the budget.

TFreeman821

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TFreeman821
clkelly405 wrote:Not a bad price, at Newe** it's 599.99.
Brand lenovo
Series IdeaCentre
Model K230(5359-3AU)
Recommended Usage Home / Home Office
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E7400(2.8GHz)
Processor Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor
Cache Per Processor 3MB L2 Cache
Memory 6GB DDR2 667
Hard Drive 640GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive 1 DVD±RW
Graphics Intel GMA 3100
Audio Sound card - Integrated
Ethernet Gigabit LAN
Keyboard PS2 Antibacterial Keyboard
Mouse USB Wheel Mouse
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard
Chipset Intel G33
CPU
CPU Type Core 2 Duo
Installed Qty 1
CPU FSB 1066MHz
CPU Speed E7400(2.80GHz)
L2 Cache Per CPU 3MB
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor
Graphics
GPU/VPU Type Intel GMA 3100
Graphics Interface Integrated video
Memory
Memory Capacity 6GB DDR2
Memory Speed DDR2 667
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
Memory Slot (Total) 4
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Hard Drive
HDD Capacity 640GB
HDD RPM 7200rpm
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD±RW
Audio
Audio Chipset Integrated
Communications
LAN Chipset Integrated
LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Front Panel Ports
Front USB 2
Card Reader 16-in-1 Card reader
Back Panel Ports
Rear USB 4
Mouse
Mouse Type USB Mouse
Keyboard
Keyboard Type PS/2 Keyboard
Physical Spec
Dimensions 17.00" x 15.00" x 7.10"
Weight 21.50 lbs.

Memory capacity does not match description. Max of 4G with 3G installed currently.

titangears

quality posts: 9 Private Messages titangears
901Memphis wrote:This system is way faster than your old P4. The Core 2 Duo based chips are clock for clock miles ahead of netburst technology used in the old pentium 4s. If you wanted to run XP on this machine it would run everything much faster.

This is NOT a Core 2 Duo system. Its a dual core Pentium M. See my previous post on the specs & performance.

Addicted to cycling and gadgets..

Mescalero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mescalero
a75952 wrote:link it plz?

It is linked isn't it?

This might make a nice home server if you're so inclined.

elynnjean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elynnjean

I bought one! Has to be better than my 6 year old Dell w/max 2G ram and a celeron processor (that cost much more than this). We have 2 Lenovo laptops at home and I use a Lenovo laptop at work and have never had any problems with Lenovo computers.
I will take the advice of upgrading the power supply right away. I'm also looking forward to updating to Windows 7.

I used to better than everyone else; now I'm just purple.

iamis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages iamis

Service and Warranty?
I bought a Lenovo desktop off the Sam's Club auction site a year or so ago. The service agreement was for 9 months, it came with no disk to reinstall software. It turned out to be a lemon and I was stuck with it, unless I wanted to buy an extended service plan. At the time it appeared to be a lot of computer for the money.

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-
LEM- wrote:But it's eligible for upgrade per description...

So... Shall we declare it a steal?

Seems cheap for what it does...

My inlaws were on a lookout for a new PC, and this seems like the price is right... but is it too good to be true, or am I missing something?

Is there a catch? Anyone?

Well, as the morning came and inlaws woke up, received a necessary approval and ordered one for them!

Now I have to receive it, clean up the pre-installed junk, order Windoze 7 upgrade, install proper anti-virus and firewall software, a few other necessary titles, etc, etc, etc.... Then go to inlaws and plug it in there...

Heck... why did I just buy so much work for myself???? Oh well....

=Edit= Ahh, just one more Woot 'till purple box! Well, maybe that's why???

anachostic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic
But I can’t afford to come down with a case of the usedtas. Them days are dead and gone. You want one of them fine young things, you go ahead and try your best. But when they laugh at you and tell you “Go find an adding machine to play with, old man,” don’t you come crawlin’ to me, you hear? I’m gettin’ out. I’m movin’ on for good, right now. And nothin’ you can say’s ever gonna bring me back. Especially after midnight tonight.

Go ahead and go, ya slag. I know you'll be crawling back for one last hookup next Wootoff.

You Lenovo's are all the same. Go on, git out. Need some help with the door?

starkravin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starkravin

N 4 3

1st post after YEARS of wootin

thandamilk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thandamilk

This looks like a deal worth considering. Got a question for all ye experts out there.

I'm looking to add a desktop to my home entertainment system to bring my digital media (especially DVD and BluRay rips) to the large screen. I'm done streaming wireless to the PS3 - quality loss is noticeable, and I haven't been able to find a stable, non CPU hungry media server.

Someone mentioned the Intel graphic card can do 1080p without any upgrades. My question is would I simply be connecting this to my large screen TV using the VGA cable, or would I require a card with HDMI output?

The other question is around sound. Most of my video files will have high quality sound - 5.1 or higher. Will passing audio from this machine to my home theater receiver allow me to get native sound?

Thanks much for your help.

jrobtaylor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrobtaylor

If you're looking to run this on a Windows domain, you'll need an "Anytime Upgrade" from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional for $89.95.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102?FILTER_SW_WINDOWS_EDITIONS=FV_WAU&FILTER_SW_WINDOWS_TYPE=FV_WAU&WT.mc_id=winonlinetest_shop2_WAU_r3

icegryphon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages icegryphon

If I were interested in another computer to add to my massive stack of over 10+ IBM and Generic I would pick up this badboy.
IBM/Lenovo For the WINRAR!

stu929

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stu929

I do not have this exact model but the 230 which was a 2.5 with 6gb and it is very fast. I looked at overclocking it and adding a video card to turn it into a dedicated gamer but funds came up short. I got mine when circuit city closed for around $289 but that was like 30-40% off. Had I not gotten mine for that cheap I would most likely jump on this deal!

JLG3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JLG3

So, if I buy this piece of junk, but it doesn't arrive until after Feb. 15, am I pretty much screwed from getting the Windows upgrade?

icegryphon

stu929 wrote:I looked at overclocking it and adding a video card to turn it into a dedicated gamer but funds came up short.

Only way I could see to overclock it would be if SetFSB program supports that Intel Chipset.
but that is now Dead ;_; SetFSB

jlsebastian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlsebastian

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?afsrc=1&EdpNo=5081926&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-UFjinKcpeCyqkbGfBaytyw

Very much better better specs and comes with free win7 upgrade. I bought mine with amd phenom x4 2.4 ghz and so happy with it. Downside, it is refurbished.
It is always out of stock though so you need to check the link once a day, I got mine after 2 weeks of waiting for new stocks.

dugmartsch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dugmartsch
pilotwillie wrote:Seriously considering purchasing, but I do have a few questions for anyone who would know better than me as I haven't bothered upgrading video cards on anything in the last 8 years lol. Would the 280w psu be good enough to upgrade to a mid-range graphics card? Any suggestions for a good card? Not looking to upgrade to the best of the best, just something good enough to play games at a decent framerate and preferably HDCP compliant for potential future bd-rom. If you would recommend a power supply upgrade, any suggestions as far as a particular spec to look for or any specific psus? Thanks for suggestions.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Most graphics cards worth buying are going to require about a 400-450 watt power supply to provide stable graphics. At 280 you'd have to find something low end and hope you dont have any stability issues. You'd have to do some serious sleuthing to find one that was useful and didnt require more than a 280 watt power supply. Might be able to handle like a radeon x300 but i definitely wouldn't call that midrange.

dugmartsch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dugmartsch
901Memphis wrote:I am not wrong. The recommendations from video card manufactures are based on total system power consumption. They are conservative at best.

Remember its about 12 volt amps these days not overall wattage ratings.

I can buy a 500 watt cheapo power supply like the Eagle ET-PSVTX500-BK from Newegg for $30 (DO NOT BUY THIS POS), but this unit only has a measly 192 watts available for the entire 12 volt rail. That equals a pitiful 16 amps on the 12 volt rail. This same crappy power supply i am speaking of has an overinflated 3.3v and 5 volt rail which current computer systems do not use very much of at all. This is also an outdated ATX design which would not be appropriate for a modern system. Lets not even begin to speak of OC protection or capacitor quality.

Something that i recommended for any 3 of those video cards like the Silverstone Strider 400 which can be bought at Newegg for $50 has a robust 12 volt rail with 348 watts for its 12 volt rail, which equals 29 amps.

This 29 amps is more than enough to run the low end system with the computer we see here on woot it would be conservative to say it uses 140 watts with its onboard components, leaving more than 200 watts available for your new video card.

Now lets get down to where you say i am wrong. 200 watts for your video card?

The Nvidia 7900 GTX uses a maximum of 80 watts in 3d mode on the 12 volt rail, with plenty of room for overclocking.

The Nvidia 9600GT uses a maximum of 60 watts in full 3d mode.

The ATI HD 3850 uses a maximum of 70 watts drawn from the 12 volt rail.

Now with 200 watts to spare on the Silverstone ST-400, i think you can have room to run your video card.

Thank you for your misguided assumptions though ;)

Ok. But when your system shuts down when the whelps spawn and everyone is doing mad AoE in Onyxia don't come crying to me.

icegryphon

jlsebastian wrote:
I bought mine with amd phenom x4 2.4 ghz and so happy with it.

Oh God no, Never AMD, Never Again.
Sorry but I would never recommend AMD to a user. Some Techs might, but I can't get over the sour taste in mouth from the past.

When I build a system I want something rocksolid that just works always. Doesn't need to be the fastest gaming rig with all kinds of new shiny toys that are not completely proven throughout time.

thomasr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thomasr

comment about free Win 7 upgrade giving ability to access more memory is confusing. I understood that the free upgrade rules limit you to the same architecture i.e., 32 bit begets free 32 bit upgrade. You can only get 64 bit if that is what you have already, and this comes with 32 bit Vista. Right?

zeni

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zeni

Got one for my husband to replace an old Dell that is on it's "last legs". We primarily use our laptops, so I was looking for a bargain desktop. Perfect.

kbauman101

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kbauman101

Spudid question, but does this do wireless?

ap210

quality posts: 48 Private Messages ap210
kbauman101 wrote:Spudid question, but does this do wireless?

It has a wired ethernet port.

No wireless.

You would have to either add a PCI wireless card or USB wireless adapter...or powerline, which seems to be the latest and greatest.

1. 11/6Rmba
  2. 11/13Scba
  3. 11/16LtchWlssSystm
  4. 11/16Gmbrdg
  5. 11/16SnDskPlyr
  6. 11/16UFO
  7. 11/16LtchWlssHdphns"lbl fll ff"
  8. 11/17LtchXbxhdst
  9. 11/173xLkFrg
  10. 11/25iPdShfflClck
  11. 12/62xBpMntrs
  12. 12/133xNxs25XM

mrveljohnson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrveljohnson

I want Dual Monitors. It looks like the integrated card doesn't support that and I have an AGP video card at home. Is there a slot for it? I don't want to have to spend 100 more dollars so I can get 2 screens and a decent card.

I also want to throw in my old HDD as a slave it's a SATA. Will it fit?

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren

I'd be all over this if it had VT.

I love $300 desktops, and seem to get a new one every couple years. They're quiet, reliable, and pretty fast for stuff I do (basic internet, office apps, light video transcoding).

My most recent three PCs, all less than $300: PowerEdge SC400, PowerEdge SC420, Vostro 200.

marikar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marikar

I need yet another PC in the house mainly for audio editing. Would this suffice? Could I add a sound card instead of the integrated audio? Would I need to?

darlid01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darlid01
mrveljohnson wrote:I want Dual Monitors. It looks like the integrated card doesn't support that and I have an AGP video card at home. Is there a slot for it? I don't want to have to spend 100 more dollars so I can get 2 screens and a decent card.

I also want to throw in my old HDD as a slave it's a SATA. Will it fit?

Edit: Whoa! No AGP slot. I didn't catch that..

If you are going with vista then no. Vista requires the same driver for both displays when using dual display. If XP or Win7, then yes. It should work. Your old drive will fit, but you will have to remount both drives to parallel instead of the way they currently have the drive mounted. Usually everything you need is in the case, but since you are buying from Woot, I don't know if that is still the case.

mrveljohnson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrveljohnson
darlid01 wrote:Edit: Whoa! No AGP slot. I didn't catch that..

If you are going with vista then no. Vista requires the same driver for both displays when using dual display. If XP or Win7, then yes. It should work. Your old drive will fit, but you will have to remount both drives to parallel instead of the way they currently have the drive mounted. Usually everything you need is in the case, but since you are buying from Woot, I don't know if that is still the case.

I'm going to switch to Win7 immediately. The video card I want to swap into this already has dual monitor support. I guess my question is, does this thing have an AGP slot?

eretych

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eretych

The power supply limits your video card choices. Take a look at Nvidia Geforce GT240. It's about the best you can do without upgrading the PSU.

golfur

mikem53

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikem53

I agree.. This would be a capable machine for just about everything except the demanding games and graphic intensive apps..
It would be hard to build a similar one yourself for the price..

xxooss wrote:seriously? Ok , so the power supply is a bit weak but telling everyone that this is only good for surfing and email is down right criminal. This system will do EVERYTHING you want it to do. I am sure there is some rarefied air that might pose a minor slow down in computing an answer like , oh , maybe running a SEELECT * FROM a 10 to the eleventy hundreth power line access database or maybe trying to open a 42 terabyte text document but really? only good for web browsing and email? A laughable post at best...and at the worst, blatant misinformation and arrogance.

/rant

P.S. might be in for one after I check the budget.

wishfool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wishfool
LastApeMan wrote:this says it has installed 3gb ddr2 240 dmm memory and uts running on vista. 32bit right?

when the windows 7 is put in and the 64bit is activated will this memory need to be discarded and new memory installed?

the 800 fsb will change with the new operating system right? so differennt memory will be the only way to stop the bottle necking.

or am I wrong? i hate these cheap motherboards - they really irratate me. Ilike to just start out with a great one and but the correct stuff to begin with as cheap as possible.

The only differences between 64 bit and 32 bit OS's is that the 64 bit can address more than 4 GBs of RAM and run 64 bit binaries and 32 bit binaries. All bus speeds will remain the same and the OS will have no affect on them nor will the memory need to changed.

Also, if you want to go with 64 bit OS, then you have to from the beginning. If you have 32 bit and want 64 bit, you have to do a clean install.

motley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages motley

I have this friend that plays World of Warcraft ;-) Would this play World of Warcraft at 1680x1050 decently? Graphics aren't super intense. I can play it on....I mean my friend can play it on his laptop that is currently a Core 2 Duo @ 2.00Ghz, with 4GB RAM on Vista Business 32 bit. Nvidia video card with 256MB shared memory. On this laptop only during intense fights where lots is happening does it bog down the video.

So without upgrading the video card in this could it handle it?

tonkatsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonkatsu
mattlscc wrote:not for me. Last thing I need is another desktop.

Thanks,

Thanks for letting us know! We were all on the edge of our seats wondering if this deal was for you.

johannafin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johannafin

I looked at the pictures and the description, and I don't see any memory card slots. Are they there somewhere and I don't see them? I have an old camera and I need to transfer pics to the PC from the card, not a cable.

Thanks,

Johanna

44 Wine Woots; 17 Woots (6 woot off wines)

Nikoli2000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nikoli2000
johannafin wrote:I looked at the pictures and the description, and I don't see any memory card slots. Are they there somewhere and I don't see them? I have an old camera and I need to transfer pics to the PC from the card, not a cable.

Thanks,

Johanna

Fairly certain, no. There are no card reader slots. But USB card readers are cheap and easy to get...
___

I'm still fenced on this one... surely this will be a dramatic improvement to a 4 year old Dell... a great deal doesn't always mean I can afford it... and rarely does it mean I need it...

darthhelix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthhelix

Well I'm in for 1. Good enough for the price to replace to Dell Optiplex I'm currently using that practically smokes when I ask too much of it.

Question: if I have a IDE drive, can I buy an adapter or something to use it in the SATA ports in this computer?

ilovewootyah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilovewootyah

http://www.woot.com/Forums/AddPost.aspx?PostID=3712098
$299.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

Products:
- Lenovo IdeaCentre H210 5355AFU Dual Core 2.4Ghz 3GB 320GB Vista Home Prem Desktop

--Price Comparison Links--
Google Products
Price Grabber

CompanyClerk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CompanyClerk
johannafin wrote:I looked at the pictures and the description, and I don't see any memory card slots. Are they there somewhere and I don't see them? I have an old camera and I need to transfer pics to the PC from the card, not a cable.

Thanks,

Johanna

According to the Lenovo website, the 16 in 1 media reader is at the top of the machine, just above the two USB ports.

josepy121380

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josepy121380

Just bought 3 of them.

royalg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages royalg
GregoryLikesCheapStu wrote:You should be able to fun XP on it just fine. All the drivers are available from Lenovo's support site:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=46

However, Home Premium doesn't include downgrade rights. This means that you must already have a license of XP available for use.

Additionally, try out Windows 7 first. It really is an amazing improvement.

time to get-on with it. XP is no longer supported by MS. Vista & W7 are both a better OS than XP (i have both). some people just can't stand change and will fight it till the bitter end..