mwiseman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

So, it has been exactly three months since the last WOOT PhotoShop contest was posted. Would it be asking too much to provide a status on the future of these contests? Participation had obviously fallen off, which was probably due to several reasons, but if the intent is to drop it completely, then just make it official. Saying nothing at all just tends to annoy people who also happen to be WOOT customers.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Quality Posts


dave bug


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
mwiseman wrote:So, it has been exactly three months since the last WOOT PhotoShop contest was posted. Would it be asking too much to provide a status on the future of these contests? Participation had obviously fallen off, which was probably due to several reasons, but if the intent is to drop it completely, then just make it official. Saying nothing at all just tends to annoy people who also happen to be WOOT customers.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.



I hope to put together a more official post next week, but to help clarify a bit: the Photoshop contest is going on hiatus (or, as you mention, continuing the hiatus) while we work out some thoughts for new ways to handle it. We are currently trying to close out all payments & prizes, and we will try to get any remaining 'winner' posts together (next week, likely).

I have some specific ideas on the contest's future, but since I haven't worked with the developers on how long things will take or even the full execution, I'm going to hold off getting too into the details.

It is likely to be a minimum of some months before the official contests return.

Toadlet


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Toadlet

It's no longer on the main page - Ouch.
Thanks, Dave. That's probably the most info we've received in months.

I appear to be melting.

mwiseman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman
dave bug wrote:Gracious reply



Thank you, Dave. You get my vote for a 5th quality post.

TomW


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomW

Thank you for the update, Dave. It's good to know where things stand.

It's a dang-diddley-addley shame that the hiatus will continue, but hopefully the contests will re-emerge in good shape. Maybe robots could be involved in some way? I like robots.

ActorTom


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ActorTom

Finally, some communication -- WHY WAS THAT SO HARD?!?

It was great to be paid -- looking forward to the late contest results, even though I didn't enter any of them. I will be anxiously awaiting the next incarnation of the contests.

mwiseman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman
mwiseman wrote:Thank you, Dave. You get my vote for a 5th quality post.



Geez, why didn't you guys tell me I commanded such power? I could have been using it for good.

taipan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages taipan
dave bug wrote:...It is likely to be a minimum of some months before the official contests return...



And a maximum of [extrapolate timeline from developer's facial reaction to Dave's ideas and insert here]?

In the mean time, please return mwiseman's 8-tracks

mwiseman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman
taipan wrote:In the mean time, please return mwiseman's 8-tracks



Yay! Hello, Helen Reddy!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

thanks davebug for the info. the chop contests don't appear to directly generate any revenue, so i'm glad to hear they haven't been completely forgotten.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

i'd also like to thank agingdragqueen for her help in expediting payments for past derby winners. thanks a bunch!

Xexus


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus
no1 wrote:i'd also like to thank agingdragqueen for her help in expediting payments for past derby winners. thanks a bunch!



Ooo, that sounds encouraging .. I've got $70 due myself.

I think Dave Bug should get two Quality Posts, just because I appreciated it twice as much as any regular post.

Signature censored by Woot

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 135 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Xexus wrote:Ooo, that sounds encouraging .. I've got $70 due myself.

I think Dave Bug should get two Quality Posts, just because I appreciated it twice as much as any regular post.



Heyyy, check your PMs for my email address so we can get you fixed up too.


And where the heck is Majit? If you are reading this, you need to contact me, too, please.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Here's hoping the PS contests come back with a vengeance!

Toadlet


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Toadlet

Wait, money prizes are being taken care of too? Shoot, I thought she was just sending the monkeys!

(PM4U, ADQ)

I appear to be melting.

mwiseman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman
tgentry wrote:Here's hoping the PS contests come back with a vengeance!



Here, here! And quite possibly some of the former contestants.

majit


quality posts: 1 Private Messages majit
agingdragqueen wrote:Heyyy, check your PMs for my email address so we can get you fixed up too.


And where the heck is Majit? If you are reading this, you need to contact me, too, please.



Heyyy, I checked my PMs and --- nothing. I'll contact you via PM, in addition to this public post. Thank you very much.

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 135 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Toadlet wrote:Wait, money prizes are being taken care of too? Shoot, I thought she was just sending the monkeys!

(PM4U, ADQ)



Got yo' PM, sorry that I didn't clarify well enough! I'll be sending you my email so you can keep in touch at will and I'll let you know when I hear back from the powers that be.

toby8915


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
agingdragqueen wrote:Got yo' PM, sorry that I didn't clarify well enough! I'll be sending you my email so you can keep in touch at will and I'll let you know when I hear back from the powers that be.



I would like the higher-ups at woot to seriously consider using agingdragqueen as some sort of moderator for the reboot of the contest.

intaglio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages intaglio
mwiseman wrote:Here, here! And quite possibly some of the former contestants.



[sniff sniff] someone cooking up new contests over here?

wizard7926


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
intaglio wrote:[sniff sniff] someone cooking up new contests over here?



Smells like.. a revolution!

How you kids doing??

[MOD: No advertising please]

wonderstew


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderstew
tgentry wrote:Here's hoping the PS contests come back with a vengeance!



You said it my friend.

Shaving.

KMA2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KMA2
wonderstew wrote:You said it my friend.



Ditto!

Turken


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
dave bug wrote:I hope to put together a more official post next week, but to help clarify a bit: the Photoshop contest is going on hiatus (or, as you mention, continuing the hiatus) while we work out some thoughts for new ways to handle it. We are currently trying to close out all payments & prizes, and we will try to get any remaining 'winner' posts together (next week, likely).



Sooo... It's almost the end of next week. Any word on those last few contest results?


TomW


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomW
Turken wrote:Sooo... It's almost the end of next week. Any word on those last few contest results?



In addition, I, too, would also like to know, as well.

Xexus


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

[ANNIE]

'til next week,
'til next week,
they'll post them,
come next week,
it's always a week a-way

Signature censored by Woot

Toadlet


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Toadlet

Got prize money today! Thanks! ...But PayPal took a 4% cut. Last time I got paid (years ago), this didn't happen.

I appear to be melting.

Xexus


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus



Looks like I got my money last Friday! Thanks adq, you're the best! (and my honmen coupon worked when I ordered those oven mitts ... woot!)

Signature censored by Woot

mwiseman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman
Xexus wrote:(and my honmen coupon worked when I ordered those oven mitts ... woot!)



Hey, same here. Dare I continue?

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 135 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

mwiseman wrote:Hey, same here. Dare I continue?



Dare, DARE- it will work and if not, please do contact me because I have done something terribly wrong.

stereo3d


quality posts: 1 Private Messages stereo3d

Thanks Dave!

dave bug wrote:I hope to put together a more official post next week, but to help clarify a bit: the Photoshop contest is going on hiatus (or, as you mention, continuing the hiatus) while we work out some thoughts for new ways to handle it. We are currently trying to close out all payments & prizes, and we will try to get any remaining 'winner' posts together (next week, likely).

I have some specific ideas on the contest's future, but since I haven't worked with the developers on how long things will take or even the full execution, I'm going to hold off getting too into the details.

It is likely to be a minimum of some months before the official contests return.



stereo3d


quality posts: 1 Private Messages stereo3d

Paypal and eBay...both originally good ideas and affordable for the user...now corporate cash cows...greedy and expensive. You used to be able to find a good deal on eBay.

Toadlet wrote:Got prize money today! Thanks! ...But PayPal took a 4% cut. Last time I got paid (years ago), this didn't happen.



toby8915


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
dave bug wrote:...and we will try to get any remaining 'winner' posts together (next week, likely).


3 weeks later...

TomW


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomW
toby8915 wrote:3 weeks later...



Hmm, is it possible that woot headquarters is orbiting a black hole at relativistic velocities, so that a week for them is three weeks or longer for us?

If only we had some adorable robot buddies that could be dispatched to investigate. To the robotarium!

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 135 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

TomW wrote:Hmm, is it possible that woot headquarters is orbiting a black hole at relativistic velocities, so that a week for them is three weeks or longer for us?



Finally, a rational explanation for why this week has felt so long. AND I BET I AM ONLY GOING TO BE PAID FOR A WEEK THIS MONTH

TomW


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomW
agingdragqueen wrote:Finally, a rational explanation for why this week has felt so long. AND I BET I AM ONLY GOING TO BE PAID FOR A WEEK THIS MONTH



But, srsly. Any word on when the outstanding results posts will go up?

Heh. I said "butt".

mozbrooklyn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mozbrooklyn

Email sent, thanks agingdragqueen.

toby8915


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
agingdragqueen wrote:Finally, a rational explanation for why this week has felt so long. AND I BET I AM ONLY GOING TO BE PAID FOR A WEEK THIS MONTH



Lets hope that Woot pays you using normal time..not woot time. CES? gristle..that means no paycheck for 3 weeks.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

TomW


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomW

6 months and 1 day since contest 233 was posted.

30 entries.

No results posted yet.