jimmythewoot

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jimmythewoot
fe428623 wrote:1250 watts! Sheesh! I can just see the electric meter disk flying right off the meter and through my neighbor's kitchen window. Think that's enough for a coffee maker?

The more watts, in an espresso machine, the better. Machines this small -- no real boiler -- typically use a thermal block (a big piece of aluminum) to heat the water, the idea being that a big chunk of metal will retain a lot of heat. You don't want to wait around for that thing to heat up while you're pumping water through it; that water needs to stay between 92 - 96 degrees Celsius. That said, quality espresso requires precise temperatures and pressures, and professional machines are adjusted constantly. Machines like this tend to disappoint coffee purists, but if you're in it for the cappuccino or lattes, it may do fine.

Onomatopoeia. Get used to it.

zombiekicker

quality posts: 10 Private Messages zombiekicker
cessnet wrote:This machine has no pump which works for a long time as a pressure only machine, so the wattage is important, but will never make a nice espresso with a true creama on the top or a 'head' to the espesso.

Far be it from me to question your expertise as a barista, but the description indicates a 15 bar pump...

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
rdrubin5 wrote:Sweet, my first post is a quality one

And then you go and blow your ratio in half! hahaha! :-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

shortcake49

quality posts: 14 Private Messages shortcake49
FerrisBueller wrote:Does this have a dual cup out put or is it just for a single shot? I did not find it in the description. As it does not say what the size or amount of coffee the holder is for.

You get 2 separate filter baskets. The small one makes about a shot glass of espresso the larger one twice that. You have to get your own little espresso cup into which you dispense the coffee. Typically a regular cup is too tall to fit under the spout.

FerrisBueller

quality posts: 15 Private Messages FerrisBueller
theoneill555 wrote:If only I weren't a tea drinker

You might not know this, but you can also put certain tea blends through an espresso machine just like coffee. It will give you the most intense flavorful cup of tea.

Europeans have brewed it that way for a long time, but they had to use pressure cookers before the invention of the espresso machines.

Just an FYI.

That's Bueller, Ferris Bueller

cheroke55

quality posts: 37 Private Messages cheroke55
shortcake49 wrote:The idea with espresso is that you make it cup by cup. Very small cups.

I want to pour it from a pot to a cup. I'm not a restaurant that has tiny cups to make my coffee. I'm in my home making coffee for my friends or making a triple cup for myself.
I don't want the drippies falling on to the bottom. I want a pot to dispense it and keep my coffee maker clean

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

$79 free shipping on Ebay lowest price outside woot.

FerrisBueller

shortcake49 wrote:You get 2 separate filter baskets. The small one makes about a shot glass of espresso the larger one twice that. You have to get your own little espresso cup into which you dispense the coffee. Typically a regular cup is too tall to fit under the spout.

So what your saying is it hold enough for 2 shots but it does not have a dual spout for say if you held two cups under it?

FerrisBueller

cheroke55 wrote:I want to pour it from a pot to a cup. I'm not a restaurant that has tiny cups to make my coffee. I'm in my home making coffee for my friends or making a triple cup for myself.
I don't want the drippies falling on to the bottom. I want a pot to dispense it and keep my coffee maker clean

This is not a coffee pot.

Espresso is usually a 1 or 2 once shot.

If you are making mocha's and such the cup is not just espresso. The espresso is just the catalyst and does not require a great amount like a coffee maker.

tennisplayer121

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tennisplayer121

Last Post

cheroke55

quality posts: 37 Private Messages cheroke55
shortcake49 wrote:You get 2 separate filter baskets. The small one makes about a shot glass of espresso the larger one twice that. You have to get your own little espresso cup into which you dispense the coffee. Typically a regular cup is too tall to fit under the spout.

That's why I want a pot. To make a pot of coffee and decide how much I want in my cup or my friends cups.

namronnivram

quality posts: 1 Private Messages namronnivram
cheroke55 wrote:That's why I want a pot. To make a pot of coffee and decide how much I want in my cup or my friends cups.

C'mon man... Cut it out. Espresso is not made by the pot, period. Do you understand me? People do not brew pots of espresso. O.k.?

vester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vester
cheroke55 wrote:I want to pour it from a pot to a cup. I'm not a restaurant that has tiny cups to make my coffee. I'm in my home making coffee for my friends or making a triple cup for myself.

I think this would be more your speed http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr.-Coffee-12-Cup-Coffeemaker-CG13/9604635

Tonicisserious

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Tonicisserious

for the people who are struggling with the idea of espresso, here's a demonstration/explanation/tutorial: http://vimeo.com/8709313

shortcake49

I can't see from the description but typically it's a double spout where you can fill two shot sized cups at the same time if you are using the big basket filter. Check out the youtube videos about making espresso and you will learn a lot.

snwball89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snwball89

Due to the fact that I'm a poor college kid, the only way I'm getting this is if it's in my Box of Crayola.

I really want this though... *HINTWOOTHINT*.

rdrubin5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdrubin5

Come on people...

Espresso machine ≠ drip coffee maker

FerrisBueller

Lets clear up some dark area here.

It is not a coffee pot.

It is an "espresso machine".

On the dial switch the "coffee" setting is for the water to be pressed through the espresso ground coffee. Selector to the left.

On the dial switch the "steam" setting is for the steamer on the right side to froth and heat your liquid. Selector to the right.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

But again it is not a "coffee pot" it would never provide enough liquid to fill even a 4 cup mini coffee maker like to find in hotels.

dpr14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dpr14

Muahahaha LOL

Funniest Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966).

Wait, you're not serious, are you ?

shortcake49

FerrisBueller wrote:So what your saying is it hold enough for 2 shots but it does not have a dual spout for say if you held two cups under it?

It almost certainly has a dual spout. If you are using the small filter you will place your shot sized class under both spouts. With the larger basket you can put two cups side by side and get two servings. I usually make a double espresso and I just fill the shot glass cup twice and put it into a bigger cup.

FerrisBueller

shortcake49 wrote:It almost certainly has a dual spout. If you are using the small filter you will place your shot sized class under both spouts. With the larger basket you can put two cups side by side and get two servings. I usually make a double espresso and I just fill the shot glass cup twice and put it into a bigger cup.

OK, thank you for the clear explanation. That helps. I just did not see that in any of the pictures.

IslandMama

quality posts: 6 Private Messages IslandMama
namronnivram wrote:C'mon man... Cut it out. Espresso is not made by the pot, period. Do you understand me? People do not brew pots of espresso. O.k.?

The pot vs. tiny cup discussion started as just mildly interesting, but now I am laughing out loud. I might still be giggling tomorrow morning as I'm french pressing my morning coffee. That's about as elaborate as I get...and yes, it comes with a pot.

The Wootiest

sirived

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirived
kallell wrote:Thanks again, but not exactly what i was getting at. I meant where the coffee goes when its made, do you have to get your own pot for it to disperse in to or can you push some button or knob to get one cup at a time?

You don't make a pot of espresso. Make it right into a cup first. Then if you want latte or cappucino add steamed milk. It's all an art. If this is still over your head, like someone else said, you should stick to Mr. Coffee, or go to starbucks.

mustangrose

cactii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cactii

If you want anything close to decent espresso, the rancilio silvia is the way to go. This will not make decent espresso. Stick with drip coffee if this is as much as you are willing to pay for coffee. Especially with a semi-manual machine you will not be able to pull quality shots with this piece of trash.

lapuckfan25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lapuckfan25
cheroke55 wrote:That's why I want a pot. To make a pot of coffee and decide how much I want in my cup or my friends cups.

If you want a pot, buy a coffee machine. This is an espresso machine...two different things. You can get a halfway decent coffee pot for $30

bfotk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bfotk

Checking Walmart.com, I found the interesting information that 33 percent of people who check out the Kalorik there, buy a Mr. Coffee 4-cup "espresso" maker instead, four other espresso makers get 16 percent each...and 8 percent decide to buy a Hoover Whisper Cyclonic Upright Vacuum.

Roostalee

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Roostalee
cactii wrote:If you want anything close to decent espresso, the rancilio silvia is the way to go. This will not make decent espresso. Stick with drip coffee if this is as much as you are willing to pay for coffee. Especially with a semi-manual machine you will not be able to pull quality shots with this piece of trash.

I have a Silvia, but the Rancilios are quite expensive these days--even for Wooters. I also shelled out the $$ for a Rossi grinder, because I realized that the Silvia is one picky machine with the grind (that's another story). Sometimes I get "god shots" but I must be on my toes.

So the question is, what is a decent starter machine that won't cost $700? The only thing I might even consider with this one would be using pods, which takes the guesswork out of grind/tamp. But who knows how good the shots will be. Maybe pretty good, maybe not.

Potrzebie!

xguntherc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xguntherc

Wow.. What a deal. This same espresso maker is $149 at Walmart, Target, and Overstock.com. and it's Currently On Sale at amazon for $99 or so.

This is a great deal on a decent espresso machine. I have espresso daily at work, but now I'll be making my own with this machine I just bought. I've only had a espresso machine once that was clearance at a business going out of business, and my brothers wife broke it. lol

I'm very exited to get this "decent" high wattage 15 Bar machine for this price. I have a $40 dollar grinder I got from Starbucks.... will that work for a beginner til I get somethin better?

It's all about the Flying Screaming Caped Woot Monkey I got last year!

Roostalee

bfotk wrote:Checking Walmart.com, I found the interesting information that 33 percent of people who check out the Kalorik there, buy a Mr. Coffee 4-cup "espresso" maker instead, four other espresso makers get 16 percent each...and 8 percent decide to buy a Hoover Whisper Cyclonic Upright Vacuum.

At least the vacuum is intended to suck.

Potrzebie!

cactii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cactii
Roostalee wrote:
So the question is, what is a decent starter machine that won't cost $700? The only thing I might even consider with this one would be using pods, which takes the guesswork out of grind/tamp. But who knows how good the shots will be. Maybe pretty good, maybe not.

Pods are the only inexpensive way to go. There are pod machines out there that make decent espresso. I would check out coffeegeek.com for reviews.

dharshanv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dharshanv

Check out Alton Brown's excellent video on making an espresso.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbqE3Npk13k&feature=related

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6rveFmgTo&feature=related

Not sure how this machine stacks up especially as Alton recommends 9 bars of pressure!

spcreynolds

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spcreynolds

God, I love these write-ups.

jaycain

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaycain

When you're really ready to get serious about your coffee, consider roasting your own beans. Get all the information you need here: http://sweetmarias.com/

Maybe woot can spoil us and find us an inexpensive coffee roaster.

namronnivram

quality posts: 1 Private Messages namronnivram
bfotk wrote:Checking Walmart.com, I found the interesting information that 33 percent of people who check out the Kalorik there, buy a Mr. Coffee 4-cup "espresso" maker instead, four other espresso makers get 16 percent each...and 8 percent decide to buy a Hoover Whisper Cyclonic Upright Vacuum.

Love it!

shilisa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shilisa

I'm tempted because I haven't been happy with the Capresso Mini-S I bought from Amazon. But will this machine make enough of a difference, or do I need to shell out some major $ for a higher end machine to get good espresso?

Roostalee

cheroke55 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-EXP-20737-1250-Watt-15-Bar-Pump-Espresso/product-reviews/B000VGBOWG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

2 out of 7 reviews complain no pot/container

The same brand 2/4 cup espresso maker with a pot.
http://www.amazon.com/SHOPZEUS-Kalorik-Espresso-Maker/dp/B002UV8JUU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264838289&sr=8-6

I drink double or triple espressos. Not tiny sips.

Look, without getting too technical, there is a valid reason why good espresso machines don't have pots. Espresso shots "die" quickly unless drunk quickly. It's not like drip coffee, you can't leave it in a carafe/pot for 5-10 minutes or it will taste awful. Why they ever made espresso machines with carafes/pots is a mystery to me, maybe American consumers demanded it, but it was a mistake (even if it looked cool). For this machine, brew your espresso into two 1 oz. shot glasses, then immediately pour the contents into your cup(s). It's simple, and it's the way it was always intended to be with these machines.

Potrzebie!

Ainokea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ainokea

This coffee pot discussion is hilarious! hahahaha

CaptainChode

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CaptainChode

I'd like to clear a few things up, because there's a lot of misinformation here, including someone who claimed to be a Starbucks 'barista' (even if you do work at Starbucks, you're not a barista, you're a button pusher. Be honest with yourself).

First, although this is technically a real espresso machine, it's a piece of junk. There is no such thing as a good deal on a piece of junk. Save your money for something else instead of throwing it away on this.

That being said, there's a few other things to note. Although it's probably capable of 15 bars (this is the output of the pump), the regulated output at the coffee is 9 bars, as it should be. 15 bars (or whatever) does not make it better than a machine which advertises itself more accurately as 9 bars.

So while this machine might be marginally better than a $20 steam toy, you're still not going to make anything close to a palatable espresso. Yes, you can drown it in 12oz of steamed milk like Starbucks does and you won't be able to tell the difference. If this is your goal, you might as well buy an aeropress for $25 (shipped price at Amazon), and you'll have something that actually is capable of making a very palatable cup of coffee (although it technically won't be espresso). You can then buy a milk frother and you'll have something at least as good as the low bar that Starbucks sets.

If you want a decent espresso on the cheap, check ebay or craigslist for a used Gaggia, buy a refurbished burr grinder from Baratza, get some decent coffee, and be prepared to invest a lot of time into figuring out what you are doing.

kagedmaniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kagedmaniak
CaptainChode wrote:I'd like to clear a few things up, because there's a lot of misinformation here, including someone who claimed to be a Starbucks 'barista' (even if you do work at Starbucks, you're not a barista, you're a button pusher. Be honest with yourself).

First, although this is technically a real espresso machine, it's a piece of junk. There is no such thing as a good deal on a piece of junk. Save your money for something else instead of throwing it away on this.

That being said, there's a few other things to note. Although it's probably capable of 15 bars (this is the output of the pump), the regulated output at the coffee is 9 bars, as it should be. 15 bars (or whatever) does not make it better than a machine which advertises itself more accurately as 9 bars.

So while this machine might be marginally better than a $20 steam toy, you're still not going to make anything close to a palatable espresso. Yes, you can drown it in 12oz of steamed milk like Starbucks does and you won't be able to tell the difference. If this is your goal, you might as well buy an aeropress for $25 (shipped price at Amazon), and you'll have something that actually is capable of making a very palatable cup of coffee (although it technically won't be espresso). You can then buy a milk frother and you'll have something at least as good as the low bar that Starbucks sets.

If you want a decent espresso on the cheap, check ebay or craigslist for a used Gaggia, buy a refurbished burr grinder from Baratza, get some decent coffee, and be prepared to invest a lot of time into figuring out what you are doing.

At least CaptainChode can tell us how to make good espresso!

Anyways, I just went ahead and got this. Wasn't looking for anything fancy, and my current standard is higher than Starbucks albeit not much. It will save me money and I can learn how to make espresso and if I still want - I can go on later to buy a more expensive machine. For a cheap college student, it seems reasonable enough.