Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Hey, if you're looking for info about Woot avatars, or you just want to show yours off, see this blog post right here, 'K?

Stalking your fellow wooters just got a little easier with the launch of our new member profile pages. To see yours, go to http://members.woot.com/ and, assuming you’re logged in to Woot, it’ll default to your profile page. To see someone else’s profile page, add their username to the URL after the last slash, like this: http://members.woot.com/Jason Toon. Now let us tell you what all that crap is.

• That hideously ugly, uproariously funny cartoon on your member page is your custom Woot avatar. Generated from component parts drawn by the famed Will “Goopy” Guy, nobody else has one quite like it. If you hate it, you can click “change avatar” to choose another from your bench of five custom avatars. Read more about avatars in today’s companion blog post. And if you really, really hate the whole idea, and you also hate fun and joy, you can choose your Twitter, Facebook, or Gravatar avatar. You also do this by clicking “change avatar” on your member profile page, and then a bunch of other stuff that we’ll explain later in this blog post.
  • The Recent Activity stream shows your recent forum posts and whatnot. You can see activity across all Woot sites or choose a specific one to see activity on that site – with a couple of exceptions. Our Everything But Woot forum isn’t connected to this system yet. We’re working on it, believe me, since almost one-third of all Woot forum posts are in there. And Deals.Woot isn’t quite tied in yet, either. For now, choosing Deals.Woot on the Recent Activity drop-down will take you to links to your Deals.Woot user page. Again, we’re working this out, so expect a 360-degree summary of all your dot-Woot activity soon.
  • We’ve also enabled you to log in to Woot using your Facebook account, your Twitter account, or any OpenID account like Google, Yahoo!, or AIM. On our humble little login page, you’ll now see options for all of those services. Click one and take it from there. Or, if that’s too confusing, read the instructions later in this blog post.

We’re so anxious to roll this member-profile system out that not all the edges are softened yet. All this account-connectin’ and avatar-selectin’ will be more seamless and less confusing pretty soon. Advanced users, go nuts. If you’re a little less comfortable with all this login business, follow the instructions after the jump. If you just want to keep your Woot experience simple, do nothing. And, as always, pelt us with your questions in the forum thread below.

How to connect a Facebook, Twitter, OpenID, or other account to your Woot account:

1. Log in to Woot.
  2. Go to account.woot.com.
  3. Scroll down to the Connections module and click “add connection”.
  4. Click on the service you would like to connect (Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo!, Google, OpenID, etc.)
  5. Follow the instructions to verify your account and approve the connection.
  6. When finished, you’ll be returned to account.woot.com.

How to use your Facebook, Twitter, or Gravatar avatar:

1. Log in to Woot.
  2. Go to members.woot.com.
  3. Under your current avatar image, click “change avatar”.
  4. Look for the Facebook/Twitter/Gravatar module at lower right.
  5. Click on the logo of the service you want to use.
  6. If you’ve already connected that account to your Woot account, your avatar from that service will be visible. Click “use it”. You’re done.
  7. If you haven’t connected that account to your Woot account, read the instructions for How to connect a Facebook, Twitter, OpenID, or other account to your Woot account above. Then start these instructions over at #1.

kerneltrap

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kerneltrap

holy jumping mexican beans!

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
kerneltrap wrote:holy jumping mexican beans!

Looks slightly more Rastafarian from here.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

kerneltrap

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kerneltrap

Holy jumping Rastafarian beans!

badboypolar

quality posts: 12 Private Messages badboypolar

Holy options Rastafarian overload. I wouldn't trust Woot! with my Facebook account. Next thing I know you're posting what I just bought and then I get in trouble with the Mrs. I don't need that trouble. I get into enough by myself thank you.

archshrk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages archshrk

I like these better than some default avatars and at least you have choices, including your own gravatar.

Visit archshrk.com. You know you want to.

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
archshrk wrote:I like these better than some default avatars and at least you have choices, including your own gravatar.

that one's pretty cool with the transparency working.

what I've found amazing on the woot ones is how separate and associative they stay in my memory. it's like some weird mnemonics trick.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

i'm stoopid. could some1 walk me through using a gravatar? i see the gravatar icon on the "change avatar" page, but there is no gravatar account associated with it. on the "make a new connection" page, there's no option to connect to a gravatar account. how do i use a gravatar?

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
no1 wrote:i'm stoopid. could some1 walk me through using a gravatar? i see the gravatar icon on the "change avatar" page, but there is no gravatar account associated with it. on the "make a new connection" page, there's no option to connect to a gravatar account. how do i use a gravatar?

nevermind. it turns out you just have to use the same email on gravatar as the one in the woot account.

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim

This is pretty cool. Can we expand it just a bit on the Shirt.Woot site and add links to all an artist's derby submissions and prints?

M3wThr33

quality posts: 8 Private Messages M3wThr33

Your gravatar code is a bit broken. Gravatar processes the emails in all lower case. You're passing them in in native form. So my XxxXxx@Gmail.com should become xxxxxx@gmail.com before you call it.

Common bug. (Where.com had the same issue for a while)

editorkid

quality posts: 95 Private Messages editorkid

Very cool, although I'm going to toss two suggestions over the fence...

• A checkbox for male-ish or female-ish features. Nothing too rigid (that's what she said), even, but most of my options look like little girls, and you know me; I'd rather save that for the chat rooms.

• Color-coding the comment links is pretty snazzy, but putting in a little icon so we can spot where we scored quality posts would be, as TV cooks say, over the top.

Still, yay, great features and rolled out quite nicely. You folks should have a happy hour or something.

coolbiker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coolbiker

Heh at least we have something to talk about for the next week. Still be nice if you could pick from another few.

Does chatting affect how they look?

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07

I'm lovin' the new updates, woot! A+ and gold star for you!

kelliedn

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kelliedn

This is great, I love it! I haven't read any responses, but was wondering if possibly our posts could somehow indicate if they are Quality posts? That would be nice to be easily figure out why your (my) quality post count went up! That would be awesome!

thanks!

Kellie (obviously)
Random Burgandy Olfactory Center 8/20/10 RandomBOC 3/26/10, 1 AdventureBOC 4/1/10
49 woot , 40 kidswoot, 10 shirtwoot, 4 dealswoot, 3 homewoot

Dyattesso

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dyattesso

Darn, just details on how to take my w00t avatar from facebook. I wanted it to go the other way around and send my w00t avatar TO facebook!

raebee

quality posts: 21 Private Messages raebee
editorkid wrote:Very cool, although I'm going to toss two suggestions over the fence...

• A checkbox for male-ish or female-ish features. Nothing too rigid (that's what she said), even, but most of my options look like little girls, and you know me; I'd rather save that for the chat rooms.

• Color-coding the comment links is pretty snazzy, but putting in a little icon so we can spot where we scored quality posts would be, as TV cooks say, over the top.

Still, yay, great features and rolled out quite nicely. You folks should have a happy hour or something.

All my avatars are horribly ugly weird looking men, I was hoping for a horribly masculine looking woman. Also I want a way to find all my quality post so when I feel bad about myself I can relive my glory days!

Where do you find a Roomba? At the Innba!

unixrab

quality posts: 11 Private Messages unixrab

I like the previous ideas of having a choice of more gender specific avatars... and of course... THERE MUST BE CUBE SPECIFIC BLING - I want to throw out the BLACK SQUARE Leather jackets... or... something.

I guess I could always choose Snapster's....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

asciiphil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asciiphil

I use my own website for OpenID identification, with a delegate for the authentication portion, but when I clicked on "add connection", I only saw options for specific sites, not a general OpenID URL.

I did try logging in with OpenID while being logged in already, and Woot automatically associated my delegate (Yahoo, currently) with my account. I'd rather have my base URL associated in case I decide to change my delegate in the future.

sutefani

quality posts: 8 Private Messages sutefani

fun, fun! thank you :-)

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer

What about those that really just hate the idea in general? Could there be an option to disable having a personal avatar or the ability to disable all avatars so that we don't have to wait for them to load?

It's not necessarily something I would do, but if you're on a 3G phone (or just hate it in general) it might be nice to not have to load all those pictures.

kogaku

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kogaku
cruzer wrote:What about those that really just hate the idea in general? Could there be an option to disable having a personal avatar or the ability to disable all avatars so that we don't have to wait for them to load?

It's not necessarily something I would do, but if you're on a 3G phone (or just hate it in general) it might be nice to not have to load all those pictures.

Third category: Those who are over thirty and stuck with dialup-only access due to flyover country being deemed shortsticklandistan.

shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu
cruzer wrote:What about those that really just hate the idea in general? Could there be an option to disable having a personal avatar or the ability to disable all avatars so that we don't have to wait for them to load?

Oh, I like what you did with that. Very nice.

I also wonder how many fake Facebook accounts are out there now, just to not have the woot-chosen avatar?

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

allenb

quality posts: 4 Private Messages allenb

Is the https://account.woot.com/connections page supposed to have OpenID listed? All I'm seeing currently is Blippy/FB/Google/Twitter/Yahoo.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
M3wThr33 wrote:Your gravatar code is a bit broken. Gravatar processes the emails in all lower case. You're passing them in in native form. So my XxxXxx@Gmail.com should become xxxxxx@gmail.com before you call it.

Common bug. (Where.com had the same issue for a while)

Even with the same e-mail address and same capitalization my gravatar isn't linking to my woot account, so for me at least, something else is broken too.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
andyduncan wrote:Even with the same e-mail address and same capitalization my gravatar isn't linking to my woot account, so for me at least, something else is broken too.

Recreating the gravatar seemed to work.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

rileyper

quality posts: 68 Private Messages rileyper

loving the new avatars

Kn1nJa

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Kn1nJa

I think I could get used to this thing (even though I am currently writing this reply to see my avatar for the first time because I am too lazy to actually look it up another way and I absolutely love run-on sentences because they make me feel like I am in 4th grade again!)

+5 signature of epicness!

thatgrrl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages thatgrrl

Excellent! Feels a lot more friendly 'round these parts with avatars.

bsirk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsirk

How did WOOT know I love sunflowers. As for the unibrow yep got that one covered too!

Hallucinator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hallucinator

Only 5 avatars to choose from? Meh! I'd use my animated avatar in the sig if they would let me.

BcNexus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BcNexus

woot's business model has been changing from one where their revenue came from product sales into one where their revenue comes from ads and data mining. We are no longer their customers. woot apparently now exists to serve customers that buy advertising on woot sites and pay for data about us. This is insulting and disgusting.

• I D0 N0T WANT just anybody knowing what I bought.
  • I D0 N0T WANT to connect any other accounts.
  • I D0 N0T WANT to play into your trick of choosing a non-ugly avatar by connecting any other accounts.

Please give me an opt out button for each piece of this stuff immediately.

MurphsWoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MurphsWoot

Is there an issue if we try to use Gravatar? I click on the Gravatar icon and the avatar shows correctly from my Gravatar account. But when I click "Use it", it pops my account page showing the spirograph pattern. Obviously my connection to Gravatar is correct, so it seems to be in the BBS software that drives Woot's boards.

MurphsWoot!

sflesch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sflesch

I can't seem to add my Facebook account. Does it have to be the same email address? If so, it's a no go for me. I'm using my Twitter avatar for now.

I get "An error occurred with Woot. Please try again later." when I click on the Facebook link. This error is on FaceBook's website.

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

PolarisKale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PolarisKale
sflesch wrote:I can't seem to add my Facebook account. Does it have to be the same email address? If so, it's a no go for me. I'm using my Twitter avatar for now.

I get "An error occurred with Woot. Please try again later." when I click on the Facebook link. This error is on FaceBook's website.

I'm getting the same error. I'd like to find out if you get an answer. Thanks for posting this!

crepusculenyx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crepusculenyx

Is there a way to choose from more than 5 avatars? I really do like them and I see my other wooters' awesome avatar. The Five I can choose from are really really dude like (and i'm not a dude) and I really don't like them. Do i have to create a new account to have new set of Five or will the Five monsters change in the future?

Somehow this avatar business really annoys me...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

crepusculenyx wrote:Is there a way to choose from more than 5 avatars? I really do like them and I see my other wooters' awesome avatar. The Five I can choose from are really really dude like (and i'm not a dude) and I really don't like them. Do i have to create a new account to have new set of Five or will the Five monsters change in the future?

Somehow this avatar business really annoys me...

You can choose your own by uploading it to Gravatar as mentioned in the top post. Then on your Account page, link it to Gravatar for the avatar.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items