aliusa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages aliusa

Not sure why I bought it now. I'm sure it'll end up on ebay in a few weeks.

mamasa23

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mamasa23
ahbrown wrote:will this work on a windows xp netbook?

As best as I can find it will IF you have a way to install the XP software that comes with it on a disk AND the required memory.

I came, I shopped, I left happy.

lgranger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lgranger
sdc100 wrote:From the description...

Ugh, I wonder what Fido will make of the ultrasonic noise. Your writing will probbly sound as pleasant as finger nails scratching on a chalkboard to the doggie. Poor Fido.

On the good side maybe it would keep the mosquitoes away!

Crazy Soapin' Lady

Lori

dstaples

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dstaples

Don't worry!
Magnets have no effect whatsoever on LCD screens.

To verify that I just grabbed a hard drive voice coil magnet and all but rubbed it directly on my desktop and laptop screens, no effect at all.

The reason that CRT's are affected by magnets is that the electrons flying through the vacuum tube are directed by magnets (the yoke) to arrive at their precise targets.
The reason the effect seems permanent is that there is a metal mask placed a short distance behind the phosphor layer in the tube to make the pixels individual dots.
If that screen gets magnetized even slightly it affects the electrons paths enough to distort the picture.
The cure in that case is the proper application of a degaussing coil, which incidentally almost all CRT monitors have built in, you just need to know how to trigger it.

I haven't tried a magnet near a plasma display So I cant say anything about that.

But no, you don't need to worry about he magnets messing up your LCD screen

MrD3a7h

quality posts: 29 Private Messages MrD3a7h

Is this going to be LCD-only? Or will it work with a CRT?

Me? I'm half man, half owl, and half moose. I am ManOwlMoose. Don't tell Al Gore about me.
-Battalion of Crabs x 4 (incl Adventure Crabs x 1, Happy Hour Crabs x 1)
-Probation posts x 1

origamimavin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages origamimavin

i saw this at CES and got to try it out, but haven't really sat down to use it a whole lot. i'm a design student, and deal with digital drawing all the time, and also have a wacom i3 for detailed work. needless to say, i just ordered this here, figure i'll give it a shot. was thinking about converting my laptop into a makeshift cintiq, so maybe this will work for that, if nothing else.

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0

I don't want to buy one of these (okay, I do, but I'm not gonna).

I just wanted to say that, woot, was one of the best item descriptions of yours I have read in a long time. Thanks for the laugh!

Verathis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Verathis
NTICompass wrote:Darn, I have an A105-S4114. Oh, well.

Why does this not work with these models?

Edit: woops, misread.

Mescalero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mescalero

Hey....wait a minute. Where did all these pictures come from?

kjrehberg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjrehberg

Is this the kind that I can take with me to a meeting clipped to a clipboard and then upload my handwritten notes later to a computer?
If not, which ones do that?

skagasz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skagasz
binners wrote:One quick question:

Will the laser burn my LCD screen?

Well... this device will not have a laser...

but if the laser you're referring to was made by this guy:

...then I'd say you're LCD is definitely in jeopardy.

Professional Student... No More!

alfadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alfadog
kjrehberg wrote:Is this the kind that I can take with me to a meeting clipped to a clipboard and then upload my handwritten notes later to a computer?

No, you have to bring the computer too. You can clip this to the clipboard and it will work but you need the wire plugged into a computer. You want the pen that has built-in storage. Someone will find that for you

alfadog
white trash philosophizer

ohwhoaitzjoe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ohwhoaitzjoe

Does this work as competitive replacement for a tablet, lets say, the wacom bamboo pen and touch?

doeyedimples

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doeyedimples

I see some sceptics on here but me, I am soooo excited, mainly becuase I have been looking to buy one of this exact product for a long time. I have been shopping on ebay and the like but the price was a little more than i wanted to spend. $100 isnt bad but I dont usually shell out that much for a thing that would basically be a toy for me. So I was sooooooooooooooooo thrilled to see this here for less than 1/2 the price (even after shipping) And I clicked 'I want one' so fast i think I scared my computer!!

I can't wait for this to come.

alfadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alfadog
kjrehberg wrote:Is this the kind that I can take with me to a meeting clipped to a clipboard and then upload my handwritten notes later to a computer?

OK, here is one that will do that for only $14 more.

alfadog
white trash philosophizer

cardude19571

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cardude19571

I am thinking of buying this to use on my netbook in car. I have CarPC software on it.
This pen can be used in any application, correct?
Do I have to use the included pen? Can I use any other stylus or my finger?

amckimmey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amckimmey

it is probibly just not that actueate with larger then 15.4 but im sure it will work.
20in monitor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxcQj4KCqy8

I trace off my monitor all the time for art stuff, this might be nice, fun thing to test out, and all i have right now is a net book.

and you can download the software from there site, so no need for a cd drive.

fun

rkoso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkoso
iamis wrote:Does anyone know if this would be useful at all for a CAD package like SolidWorks on a desktop?

No. As mentioned, a simple mouse handles SW better. A pen can be very useful, but you'd want a haptic pen to help make more amorphous shapes. Such as the SensAble Phantom, which will set you back a lot more than $8 unfortunately.

thepunkesh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepunkesh

If you want to see this in action, check out the link. It's a live demo of the product. All my doubts have been erased about it's performance. Not to mention the $60 price break from woot! helps! thanks, Woot!

Check out Live DEMO of the Hantech Tablo!

skagasz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skagasz
cardude19571 wrote:I am thinking of buying this to use on my netbook in car. I have CarPC software on it.

The included pen would be required.

Professional Student... No More!

andreascserna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andreascserna
rowanator wrote:I know that it says 15.4", but I have a 16" laptop. Anyone know if this thing has a chance of working on a 16" model or would it just not respond in certain areas of my screen?

I saw in a post elsewhere that someone tried this on a 22" monitor and it worked, though they didn't say anything about how accurately.

I have a 16" Toshiba widescreen laptop and just took the plunge.

BatCountry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BatCountry

Thought about it but the odds of me actually using it are about 0.05%

0 quality posts and proud of it.

myscoob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myscoob

It works on Mac's tooo!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6XgNmn2h0&feature=related

I am trying to find if it will work on Ubuntu/Linux

villaverla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages villaverla

I do a lot of web based training, and I normally have an external monitor hooked up to my laptop. My presentation is normally on my external monitor. Will this work on my external monitor as well as on my laptop?

I also do in person training where I am projecting onto a screen and I think it will be very useful for that.

loudstone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loudstone

Just ordered mine, I'm really looking forward to it!

andreascserna wrote:I saw in a post elsewhere that someone tried this on a 22" monitor and it worked, though they didn't say anything about how accurately.

I have a 16" Toshiba widescreen laptop and just took the plunge.

I think it just might lose accurancy farther away. And like someone posted, most advertised 16" laptops are really 15.4", so you should be fine. If it has issues, just try to draw and write closer to the middle of the screen, and maybe offset the device to one side to access controls (scrollbars or whatever).

villaverla wrote:Will this work on my external monitor as well as on my laptop?

I'm pretty sure it just depends on the monitor. Like a laptop webcam, the "laptop" designation probably just has to do with the way the clip works. It probably won't clip on a monitor too much thicker than an lcd lid. But if you find a way to mount it, the actual functionality should be fine.

joeny1980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeny1980
toniob wrote:SPREADSHEET DATA ENTRY

Does this or some other device allow entering data into a spreadsheet?

Either alphanumeric or even just logical (T/F)?

And if so, can it work with other than Excel and which Excel?

I use an old Wordperfect Quattro & also Open Office.

Sounds like it can write and click just about anywhere. I would say that if you wanted to use it with Excel for some sort of live data tabulating - i would set up a custom macro and use the form buttons (like checkboxes or radio buttons... which translate easily to T/F) to tabulate what you want. Sounds like a cool use for this, like for survey taking or such sorts.

amandaroecker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amandaroecker
skagasz wrote:Bah - Woot just handed me a Sadness Bowl - I missed the "Black or White (Randomly pulled)" in the description and was wondering where the "select a color" was in the order page. Call me picky if you like, but I really have no desire to get a white one of these.

I am HOPING for a white one. lol

palogalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palogalo

Hello, I'm a new wooter and i was just wondering if this is a way to get to now girls.

loudstone

amandaroecker wrote:I am HOPING for a white one. lol

Yeah, it's sad we couldn't choose, but the price tag makes it well worth it to me. As long as it isn't split pea soup green i'm okay with it.

Peepers0216

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Peepers0216
NightGhost wrote:I see your smiley, but I'm not sure what you're saying. If the device is going to convert your laptop into a tablet PC, don't you have to use the screen?

I wish it could magically turn your regular laptop screen into a tablet, but I am pretty sure that is impossible.

This is how it works, you plug the device into your regular laptop. Then you use the special pen that it comes with to write on another surface. The tip of the pen uses sensors to track what you write and put it on your screen.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it would be disappointing for someone to ruin their laptop by drawing on the screen.

Peepers0216

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Peepers0216

never mind, i guess i am wrong. Still seems like it would be difficult to write on a laptop screen, especially if it doesn't lie perfectly flat.

loudstone

Peepers0216 wrote:never mind, i guess i am wrong. Still seems like it would be difficult to write on a laptop screen, especially if it doesn't lie perfectly flat.

The tip is some sort of felt I believe, so it shouldn't be as likely to damage the screen.

But yes, writing on the screen at an angle may take a little getting used to. Though I know some graphics card drivers allow you to rotate the display, so you could turn it upside and flip the whole laptop. If you have desk space of course.

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
palogalo wrote:Hello, I'm a new wooter and i was just wondering if this is a way to get to now girls.

"Now girls"??? As opposed to "later girls"? Geez,don't you know that good things come [ahem] to those who wait? As grandmammy used to say, "the longer you let it marinade, the juicier the meat..."

And if you're prowling for girls, perhaps Hooters is more appropriate than Wooters...

sdc100

cardude19571 wrote:I am thinking of buying this to use on my netbook in car. I have CarPC software on it.

You'd have to use the pen. It emits ultrasonic and infrared signals for the clip-on sensor to triangulate in figuring the position of the pen. It's similar to how GPS works. A major criticism of other models is that they use batteries quickly. Don't know about this one.

mmoconnor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mmoconnor

I can't resist. This looks like the coolest toy ever.

susanrm

quality posts: 15 Private Messages susanrm

Here is the product page:

http://www.hantech.ca/product/product_detail.asp?M=1&S=3&bCateName=TABLO&CATEID=00030001

While some earlier press releases suggest Mac compatibility should be coming, there is no hint of that on this website.

I would find this useful for my presentations, especially when demonstrating how to solve problems, rather than having to go to an overhead or white board.

*Honest 200 Member* Sept. 2012 x2

sdc100

lgranger wrote:On the good side maybe it would keep the mosquitoes away!

With my luck, the ultrasonic clicks will probably sound more like a mosquito mating call. Heck, the heat from the infrared emitter will probably also signal "Dinner Time!" Oh great, this device is a mosquito ad for dinner and sex...

markpsw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages markpsw

I love this product but there are two big misses that make it a no sale.

Nowhere on their website they mention what's the pressure resolution. What makes me skeptical about buying.

The second problem is that most graphic designers and professionals use larger screens. The 15.4" limitation is a deal breaker for most people.

sdc100

Mydnyte wrote:They also took one of those magnets and got too close to their LCD monitor - and while it still works, it's definitely scarred for life...

I wouldn't worry about putting an ordinary magnet near an LCD monitor. Normal magnetic fields should have no effect on the basic components of an LCD screen: non-ferrous crystals floating in a viscous liquid and fluorescent or LED backlights. A stronger field may cause some fluctuations in the power supply but I can't imagine it doing permanent damage. I wouldn't placing an LCD monitor near an MRI machine though!

You may have been confused with on older CRT monitor. In that case, try using the Degaussing function in the monitor's menu.

sdc100

aliusa wrote:Not sure why I bought it now. I'm sure it'll end up on ebay in a few weeks.

And if my nagging girlfriend is correct, it will eventually end up on my desk. And then our closet...