goldiemcg

quality posts: 13 Private Messages goldiemcg
KingJackass wrote:Here is a better deal on a 128GB DT-200 128GB MEMORY USB Flash Drive USB 2.0.
Even with $28.00 in shipping its a better deal.

Dam good deal but how are they justifying the shipping? That's nuts. Why don't they switch it up and charge $6 for the drive and $90 for the shipping? That would make as much sense.

bbcreasman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbcreasman
SpiffWilkie wrote:Anyone know if the Wii supports flash drives this size? For homebrew, I mean. Not saved games.

I don't know about "flash drives," but I am running mine with a 500 GB external hard drive.

apfeiffe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apfeiffe

Hey guys, I'm rocking a Sony CDX-GT420U http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sony+CDX-GT420U with a usb port in my car.. I'm currently using an 8gb and it works fine... However, I'm worried that the deck won't have enough power to power this drive.

I've googled, and one of the site previews that comes up in the results lists suggests this, the dude says he can only use 1/3 of the space, but the link doesn't go to the actual page discussing it. Otherwise, I see nothing online about it.

I also read that long post about USB power earlier in the thread, but it might as well have been in Swahili to me. So my question is, does anyone know if my deck can power this?

gkcmilner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gkcmilner

I bought this drive from another retailer for 50% more than what this is selling for (always happens to me). It is a very solid performing drive and has no problem streaming anything, and works great in my car's usb port.

This was a replacement for a counterfeit Kingston 128GB I bought on eBay for $68.99.
Just as a warning - DO NOT BUY THESE ON EBAY! They are low level formatted to look like a high capacity drive but are not. I'm still trying to get my money back.

sucker4crap

quality posts: 20 Private Messages sucker4crap
thunderingwei wrote:Also in this thread:

Old people wax nostalgic about things young people could care less about.

Seems like every time somebody brings up anything related to storage or RAM, somebody's got to start the wave of 'MAN REMEMBER WHEN WE USED TOILETS AS HARD-DRIVES; MAN THEY ONLY HAD LIKE 3KB MEMORY BACK THEN AND GRANNIE WAS THE GRAPHICS CARD. COULDN'T REALLY PLAY MUCH ON HER BUT PONG AND ANY OVERCLOCKING AT ALL WOULD MAKE THE THING WHINE LIKE CRAZY.'

As for this kind of comment, all I can say is just wait a few years and you will be the same way!

By the way, it was OUR generation that created the technology of today and our parents & grandparents generations who pulled off a few miracles like atomic energy, the proximity fuse, jet transports, going to the Moon, microwaves...

So poke fun at the good old days all you want, but work to top it, instead of just using it!

abrahamvivas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abrahamvivas

10 MB/sec write time, anybody else think this is slow??

Justgrooven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Justgrooven
myndblur wrote:That is the Maneuvering Room Console in a Fast Attack 688-Class Nuclear Submarine. Minus the plotter and hanging TV.

I’ve seen this picture before and wondered what purpose the wheel served. How do you know this is a console from a 688 class Sub? I’m not disputing you, just curious.

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr
waterboy66 wrote:My first desktop computer was 2.1 GB. lol
And then that was normal. I still have it.
Yea.....Im getting old!

Yeah- that's enough of all this "I'm getting old" stuff, especially from kids who think their 486 or early pentium machines were 'roughing it.' If your first computer had a hard drive in it at all, you aren't that old. If your first hard drive was over 20MB, you aren't that old. If you upgraded to a 286 at one point for the BLAZING SPEED, you might have a claim to be somewhat old. Good grief, I used punch cards for storage and I barely consider myself old yet.

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 8 Private Messages starmanbackwards

what is the purpose of such a beast?
Im honestly curious.

sucker4crap

quality posts: 20 Private Messages sucker4crap
tommy2rs wrote:Children should be seen and not heard so don't interrupt the adults when they are talking. And stay off my Internet you dang hooligans.

AMEN! *LOL* Very succinctly stated!

sutton001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sutton001
250Coupe wrote:I have a 32Mb stick of memory for a 486 PC that I paid $500 for. Used. Also have a 4X SCSI CD burner I paid $500 for.

Michael

I paid that in 1988 when I started college. I think that is $1.38 in today's money!

JulesDread

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JulesDread
dkowal wrote:I strongly prefer the product from Iron Key. Best security features.

Most products of this type are susceptible to virus' and such.

My .02 cents.

I had an Iron Key go belly up on a day that I had a critical 10 page (single spaced) legal document due. The doc was forever lost. For what Iron Keys cost, that should not happen.

hopmedic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hopmedic
brucedoesbms wrote:You tell me:

myndblur wrote:That is the Maneuvering Room Console in a Fast Attack 688-Class Nuclear Submarine. Minus the plotter and hanging TV.

brucedoesbms wrote:You may wish to reference this:

LA Class Sub (class 688)

and THIS represents the console:

You might both want to reference this:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0864504.jpg
and this
http://americanhistory.si.edu/subs/operating/propulsion/consoles.html
and even this
http://americanhistory.si.edu/subs/operating/propulsion/index.html#

What you're looking at is a mock-up of a typical submarine maneuvering room, including the reactor plant control panel, electrical plant control panel, and steam plant control panel.

While I cannot say with any authority whether this is what a 688 class maneuvering room looked like (without the TV, of course), it is most certainly what we had on the USS Sturgeon, SSN-637 (and while they may not be identical, the 688 class would be at least very similar). I was aboard, and was a nuclear power plant operator, back in the days when 640 KILObytes was still all anyone would ever need (according to Bill Gates).

Oh, and for reminiscing on RAM, my first computer had 8K of RAM. And a cassette tape recorder.

Publikwerks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Publikwerks
hwyengr wrote:I finally feel old. I'm turning 30 next month, and I remember buying a 20GB hard drive in '99 for $300+.

And I had to spool it up with a hand crank.

My pet dinosaur crushed it later that year.

:-(

I remember getting a 500 mb drive, and thinking "It will take me forever to fill this"

I was like 13, and it was on my 386dx-16

dhldmoore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhldmoore
SpiffWilkie wrote:Anyone know if the Wii supports flash drives this size? For homebrew, I mean. Not saved games.

It should. I currently have a 320 GB external hard drive hooked up to my Wii and it works perfectly. Whatever is used for external storage (thumb drive/external hard drive) has to be formatted FAT32, though.

citizen451

quality posts: 1 Private Messages citizen451

Homebrew boots from the SD slot on the front of the Wii, not the USB port.

The Wii supports flash drives of any size, thay just have to be formatted to WBFS.

mweir1981

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mweir1981
hwyengr wrote:I finally feel old. I'm turning 30 next month, and I remember buying a 20GB hard drive in '99 for $300+.

I turn 29 next month and I remember my first computer my parents got for the house had a HUGE hard drive.... 80 MEGAbytes! with a whopping 25mhz 386 processor, with the auxiliary math co-processor. when they finally came out with the Ghz processor and Gigabyte hard drive my dad said why would you ever need that kind of speed or that much storage space, waste of money! My first thumb drive was sandisk 512mb that i paid about $40 for back in 2002 or 2003. my we have come a long way! I guess I should say something about the product for sale here too... I cant speak for other car stereos but if you have a Ford with SYNC then a USB drive is awesome. just copy over all your itunes music and playlists and plug it in, frees up your ipod for other uses and will still work with SYNC voice commands.

Alan69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Alan69
johntracker wrote:... LOL... I remember all of them. I learnt on a PDP 8 ... then scammed my way to the PDP 11.

http://www.techmynd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/16_megabytes_hard-disk.jpg

First hard drive I encountered was 5 or 10 MB, on a Data General PDP system. 3 or 5 12" platter stack.

klocwerk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klocwerk
abrahamvivas wrote:10 MB/sec write time, anybody else think this is slow??

it's very slow.
That said, it's the cheapest I've seen a 32gb thumb drive, I've been watching them for quite awhile now.

My first thumb drive was a 32mb that I paid $125 for, I'm waiting and watching for a fast 32gb drive to drop under $50 shipped. Sadly this isn't it, too slow for me.

pisdoff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pisdoff
ckeilah wrote:LOL! I paid $800 for an EIGHTY MEGA-BYTE hard drive. We didn't even HAVE gig'em bytes back then. A&M only had cows and chickens! ;-)

Why, when I was a child, we had to walk to school....barefoot....in the snow......uphill both ways....

I'm just sayin'

dpwellman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dpwellman
laurien wrote:Try turning 50 in a few years and remembering working on third party software for the original IBM PC for IBM as a Co-op student. When the 10MB hard drive was introduced we wondered what in the world would people do with so much space.

Our dream machine was 512 MB of RAM, the 10mb drive and the Intel 4.77 mhz 8088 processor. WOOT!

The department doesn't exist any more, our PCs were soon afterwards wiped out in the Big Bang.

8088 not the 8086?

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

pisdoff

Alan69 wrote:http://www.techmynd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/16_megabytes_hard-disk.jpg

First hard drive I encountered was 5 or 10 MB, on a Data General PDP system. 3 or 5 12" platter stack.

commodore 64.

pisdoff

KingJackass wrote:Here is a better deal on a 128GB DT-200 128GB MEMORY USB Flash Drive USB 2.0.
Even with $28.00 in shipping its a better deal.

hmmmmmm...Kingston shipping from China....why is that sending off alarms in my head...

homerec130

quality posts: 0 Private Messages homerec130

20 GB for $300?? My first home hard drive I bought was 600 for a 5 MB. Yes, 5 MB. The drive came in a box the size of a footlocker. The year - 1984

neseattle

quality posts: 7 Private Messages neseattle

Another mind-boggler for me:

"SanDisk announced a new 32-GB microSDHC card"

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/32gb-microsd-card/

Paul Simon summed it up well in 1986 - Album "Graceland"

The Boy in the Bubble

It was a slow day,
And the sun was beating
On the soldiers by the side of the road,
There was a bright light,
A shattering of shop windows
The bomb in the baby carriage
Was wired to the radio,
These are the days of miracle and wonder,
This is the long distance call,
The way the camera follows us in slo-mo
The way we look to us all,
The way we look to a distant constellation
That's dying in a corner of the sky,
These are the days of miracle and wonder
And don't cry baby don't cry
Don't cry,

(Pause)

It was a dry wind,
And it swept across the desert
And it curled into the circle of birth,
And the dead sand,
Falling on the children
The mothers and the fathers
And the automatic earth,
The way we look to us all o-yeah,
Don't cry

(Pause)

It's a turn-around jump shot
It's everybody jump start
It's, every generation throws a hero up the pop charts,
Medicine is magical and magical is art think of
The Boy in the Bubble
And the baby with the baboon heart

And I believe
These are the days of lasers in the jungle,
Lasers in the jungle somewhere,
Staccato signals of constant information,
A loose affiliation of millionaires
And billionaires and baby,
The way we look to us all o-yeah,
Don't cry don't cry

oooooooooEmmmmmmmmmmm........

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22ae7_paul-simon-boy-in-the-bubble_music

How did I get here?

http://www.funnytimes.com/cartoons.php?cotw_id=20090923

lddiaz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lddiaz

Don't forget that Woot! uses smartpost. For little stuff like this, they charge the standard $5 shipping, but smartpost will take 3 weeks to get it to you (Example: Kingston 2GB MicroSD Card with Adapter – 2 Pack and Dane-Elec 2GB SD Card both took 3 weeks). Whereas two first class stamps would get it to you in 3 days.

PASS

leeand00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leeand00

Yeah that's a pretty good deal. I'm in baby! I'm in! I ordered one!

ashfamily

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashfamily

As long as we're waxing ...

I remember having my 48K Apple 2+ (who needs more then 48K we thought) competitor of the Commodore and arch enemy of the Trash 80 and using a hole punch to double the size of my floppy disks. In the day, we were cutting edge. Now, I just look forward to Wednesdays which is ice cream day at the home.

Oh wise Woot owl ... How many licks DOES it take to get to the center? The world may never know.

kaveman212c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaveman212c
dkowal wrote:I strongly prefer the product from Iron Key. Best security features.

Most products of this type are susceptible to virus' and such.

My .02 cents.

Two-hundredths of a cent is a very small amount.

johntracker

quality posts: 3 Private Messages johntracker
pisdoff wrote:Why, when I was a child, we had to walk to school....barefoot....in the snow......uphill both ways....

I'm just sayin'

And I used to have to get up at 4am! 2hrs before I went to sleep.

lindal33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindal33
zman42 wrote:Is the 10 MB/Sec read speed fast enough to stream music to a car stereo head w/ a USB Port?

Seeing as how 10mb can be 2 or 3 songs, I would say, "yes". :D

Twist3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twist3d

I can buy a sandisk 32gb drive on ebay for 15 bucks with free shipping..

I know this is kingston but sandisk and kingston are about the same quality.

gunslingerpc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gunslingerpc

Sorry if this was already noted (too lazy to read all posts), but this thing is $70 on Newegg right now. $45 shipped seems like a steal to me. Especially with the lifetime warranty. Cheapest 32gb drive on Newegg is a Ridata for $57, with only a 2 year warranty. Sold!

SpeedwayRN

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SpeedwayRN

Just got a Cruzer 32GB Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Flash Drive 32 GB on flea bay $19.99 shipped.

johntracker

quality posts: 3 Private Messages johntracker
kaveman212c wrote:Two-hundredths of a cent is a very small amount.

Maybe... But not under Troll gaming rules.
Keep in mind that:

"I think I saw this for 0.02c cheaper on some Eastern European / Nth Korean website even though it it did not include postage and the seller failed to ship whilst taking my money than later my wife and kids from my confirmed PayPal shipping address"...

... is still considered an EPIC WIN in most troll circles.

protoclown2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages protoclown2k
ckeilah wrote:LOL! I paid $800 for an EIGHTY MEGA-BYTE hard drive. We didn't even HAVE gig'em bytes back then. A&M only had cows and chickens! ;-)

I don't remember how much I paid for this, but I had a 20mb full 5 1/4 bay (4X the thickness of todays 3.5" drives) hard drive that must have weighed 15 pounds.

bj0nes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bj0nes
SpeedwayRN wrote:Just got a Cruzer 32GB Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Flash Drive 32 GB on flea bay $19.99 shipped.

When you get it, make sure you try to actually fill it up. Most of these "too good to be true" deals are just smaller drives that have their firmware modified to show as the larger capacity. Once you exceed their true capacity, though, they'll just fail. Flash prices just haven't been falling low enough recently to make me think that you can actually get 32GB for $20, even 16GB at that price would be a good deal.

bigfoot1107

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigfoot1107
hopmedic wrote:...back in the days when 640 KILObytes was still all anyone would ever need (according to Bill Gates).

Oh, yes! The memory expansion boards we had to install in order to access the memory address space above 1024 KB - can't remember what they cost but they were the biggest cards I've ever used.

word2yamother

quality posts: 1 Private Messages word2yamother
retropug wrote:I don't always buy 32GB Jump Drives but when I do I prefer Kingston.....Stay Thirsty My Friends.....

Nice!!

Bunnies Ogling Carrots - 4/25/12 - 1/19/12 - 1/25/11 - 3/26/10 - 12/25/08 - 11/20/08 - 6/1/07 - 4/1/07 - 3/23/07 - 1/31/07

ccurrier

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ccurrier

Price on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-DataTraveler-102-Flash-Drive/dp/B002TSLFSC

This is great to have when you are going to reformat computers, which is exactly what I am doing after this comes in the mail.