+ Add a Comment

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Hey, code-crafter: need to flex your mushy grey lobes after a dull day in the data mine? Does your mind crave a challenge more strenuous than writing another SQL query? Then Jeff Blankenburg's Toughest Developer Puzzle Ever is singing your name.

The second edition, which opens today, promises 100 levels of intense mental calisthenics. Not every puzzle is coding-related, either, so you hermetic "Code = Life" types might not have an advantage just because of your l33t developer skills.

Best of luck to anyone with hubris enough to dare grapple with this challenge. If you breeze through it because you're such a genius, you might as well try last year's TDPE, too. As for us, today we'll be sitting next to the barbecue pit with our feet in the kiddie pool. We know our limitations.

kazuking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kazuking

My BBQ doesn't start for another 4 hours..... So I went and checked it out.
5 minutes and stuck on level 4.....
"Five is it" What is 5?
Edit: Now on 7.

colacadstink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colacadstink
kazuking wrote:My BBQ doesn't start for another 4 hours..... So I went and checked it out.
5 minutes and stuck on level 4.....
"Five is it" What is 5?
Edit: Now on 7.

I'm done with 7, and can provide a hint: http://pastie.org/985861

But for anyone on 8, can you PLEASE tell me what those first images are in the 2nd and 3rd set of parenthesis?! And then the last set of parenthesis, what is going on there, "boot" doesn't have a --. in it anywhere!

EDIT: Got the fox image, try googling "fox programming language". Still need the others though.

Kn1nJa

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Kn1nJa

I'm a total noob ...... can't get past level 2 >_<

+5 signature of epicness!

MatadorBID

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MatadorBID

The first image in the 3rd parenthesis is another animal-related programming language.

I loosely have the parts for 8 but still trying to put them together. What do you do with Kung Fu Panda?

Nevermind, I just remembered his name

I'm also trying figure out 'boot'

kazuking

MatadorBID wrote:The first image in the 3rd parenthesis is another animal-related programming language.

I loosely have the parts for 8 but still trying to put them together. What do you do with Kung Fu Panda?

Nevermind, I just remembered his name

I'm also trying figure out 'boot'

Think of A specific kind of boot. The one with really soft sheep skin inside from Australia and costs a fortune for a pair. (hint 3 letters)
The answer is not the final answer but another clue to the actual answer you have to type in.
Am on level 14......

Kn1nJa

wow I feel stupid now .....

MatadorBID

kazuking wrote:Think of A specific kind of boot. The one with really soft sheep skin inside from Australia and costs a fortune for a pair. (hint 3 letters)
Am on level 14......

Got the answer, thanks! Even though I quintuple-checked the first part (second line) I still can't translate it right.

OK, 9 is hard...

Kn1nJa

Yep .... I'm to dumb *hangs head in shame*.

How pathetic ... can't even get past level 2.

*gives up*

MatadorBID

Kn1nJa wrote:Yep .... I'm to dumb *hangs head in shame*.

How pathetic ... can't even get past level 2.

*gives up*

I think the 'h' is a clue for the overall puzzle. I haven't used it yet.

Perhaps you should take another view at the image.

I figured out 9. It's broken in firefox, which is pretty crappy, even if it's on purpose.

Kn1nJa

MatadorBID wrote:Take a closer view at the image.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it .... I just can't come up with the correlation between "h" and the text in the image.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

I'm up to #14. But it's music related, and I think an anagram of some sort. Not too good at this particular type of puzzle. Might take me a while to solve this one.

kazuking

sTyLeS wrote:I'm up to #14. But it's music related, and I think an anagram of some sort. Not too good at this particular type of puzzle. Might take me a while to solve this one.

I'm stuck on it too.....

mikeage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeage
MatadorBID wrote:I
Perhaps you should take another view at the image.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was stuck on this... but I still am. Nothing in the HTML source [or CSS], nothing new from view image, no metadata, no embedded strings, no hidden text that I can see...

And I did well on last year's puzzle!

NM; As soon as I posted this I solved it .
OK, that was _really_ stupid. I thought I manually search all the similar urls... guess I missed at least one ;)

MatadorBID

I need help on 10. I think I've figured out the numbers but they aren't real?

kazuking

mikeage wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who was stuck on this... but I still am. Nothing in the HTML source [or CSS], nothing new from view image, no metadata, no embedded strings, no hidden text that I can see...

And I did well on last year's puzzle!

Analyze the image little bit more. Hint: the wording in the image doesn't mean anything. Ignore it.

sTyLeS

kazuking wrote:I'm stuck on it too.....

Ok. Finally got #14. Took a little thinking.

kazuking

MatadorBID wrote:I need help on 10. I think I've figured out the numbers but they aren't real?

Hint: That's not a math formula.

mikeage

I gave what I suspect is the right answer to five, but I get a 404. is that right, or did I mess up something?

kazuking

sTyLeS wrote:Ok. Finally got #14. Took a little thinking.

Any Hint?

MatadorBID

mikeage wrote:I gave what I suspect is the right answer to five, but I get a 404. is that right, or did I mess up something?

Which do you think it is?

kazuking wrote:Hint: That's not a math formula.

Right, but it's not resulting in anything of consequence so I think I'm looking in the wrong place somehow.

wackinator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wackinator

I'm stuck on level 1 or 7 (URL is level 1 page title is level 7). I don't understand the list of red and black upside-down numbers!

mikeage

Well, I strongly suspect it's the right answer [and it doesn't return to the same screen]. The same answer in a different order [Y and X] is not accepted, so I assume this must be close...

Kn1nJa

I'm still not seeing it. Perhaps I should have eaten my wheaties this morning... :\

EDIT: I thought i had found something when I went to http://jeffblankenburg.com/tdpe2/step2.aspx .... but its the same page >_<

sTyLeS

kazuking wrote:Any Hint?

For #14, the track number on the specific album is important.

MatadorBID

Kn1nJa wrote:I'm still not seeing it. Perhaps I should have eaten my wheaties this morning... :\

EDIT: I thought i had found something when I went to http://jeffblankenburg.com/tdpe2/step2.aspx .... but its the same page >_<

You seem to be so close.

Still stuck on 10

Kn1nJa

MatadorBID wrote:You seem to be so close.

Still stuck on 10

Would this be easier if I had done last year's?

MatadorBID

Kn1nJa wrote:Would this be easier if I had done last year's?

I don't think he used this exact trick, but your mind might be better conditioned to expect it.

The first part of every level is to take in all information from every view point possible.

wackinator

I don't know how to get the password for level 7 from the numbers. Does someone have a hint about the red and black numbers?

Kn1nJa

wackinator wrote:I don't know how to get the password for level 7 from the numbers. Does someone have a hint about the red and black numbers?

I just solved the level 7 puzzle (thanks to the hint about the url lol) .... THAT one was easy ..... but level 2 is still kicking my butt!

kazuking

wackinator wrote:I don't know how to get the password for level 7 from the numbers. Does someone have a hint about the red and black numbers?

Key word: Accounting.

wackinator

kazuking wrote:Key word: Accounting.

You've got to be kidding me! Haha! And I thought the numbers being upside-down was hilariously clever!

kazuking

sTyLeS wrote:For #14, the track number on the specific album is important.

I'm still lost.....
I made this site to give myself a break.
Shows snapshot of all the levels.
TDPE2 Gallery
PS: I provide no hints. It's just snapshots.

wackinator

That still didn't get me the password...

Kn1nJa

wackinator wrote:That still didn't get me the password...

Think back to how you got the original numbers...

wackinator

Kn1nJa wrote:Think back to how you got the original numbers...

nice! Thanks for the tip!

MatadorBID

I hate level 10!!

I give up until someone gives a hint. Going to play Mario Galaxy 2.

Kn1nJa

MatadorBID wrote:I hate level 10!!

I hate level 2!!

palesius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palesius

Anyone have any luck with 15? I've tried plenty of answers that should be valid (some more far-fetched than others, but it doesn't like them).

engholm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages engholm
sTyLeS wrote:For #14, the track number on the specific album is important.

I'm also stuck on 14. This hint gives me 8 numbers ranging between 1 and 7, but I can't figure out what to do with them.