turf12

quality posts: 6 Private Messages turf12

does this mean no more smartpost???

shamcy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shamcy

Maybe some of us should start something like woot. Trust me, it is not difficult. It just needs patience, hard work, and hooking the manufacturers for their end of life product lines.

steaua

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steaua

I'm very disappointed! Soon we'll have to say bye-bye to Bowl of Cereal, I never expecting something good from big corp. Until now I felt that Woot cares about his customers, from now on Amazon will focus only on revenue. Whatever left in the warehouse I think Amazon will try make more money selling those craps too.
Was nice shopping with you Woot!
For two years first thing in the morning I was checking what is on Woot, lost few nights during Woot-off, had happy moments when I got my Bowl of Cereal...sorry to see you gone...I feel cheated.

alexandrak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexandrak

Congrats guys! all the hard and awesome work is paying off!

sometimesdee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sometimesdee

Amazon owns Endless, not Zappos.

leximou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leximou

Hummmm, and another independent spirit joins the ranks of corporate America and all the BS that goes with it.

Sorry to see it happen.

rdobkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdobkin

Did Amazon pay $5 for shipping?

teenidol

quality posts: 2 Private Messages teenidol

Does this mean Amazon will be buying servers for you that don't crash during every Baguette o' Cheddar?

see james-wilkins.com, or don't

pjstarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjstarr

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Obviously, the "Big Guys" coming to YOU shows how successful you've been!
Good luck - but watch your back! lol!

AND - please keep WOOT! as WOOTISH as possible!

PJStarr

shamcy

sometimesdee wrote:Amazon owns Endless, not Zappos.

and Zappos.

htmlspinnr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages htmlspinnr
sometimesdee wrote:Amazon owns Endless, not Zappos.

Incorrect - Amazon owns Endless AND Zappos.

Go to http://www.amazon.com/ and scroll ALL the way to the bottom.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

So, Amazon sees an opportunity for monetary gain by possession of Woot! . . . does this mean they desire the money Woot! makes, or does it mean they desire the money Woot! customers save? Ever heard of a company buying the rights to an invention or idea to ensure it stays of the market? Ever heard of price-fixing (it's not price-fixing if it's your own company)? Yeah . . .

the.ronin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the.ronin

So is that a negatory on the vuvuzelas?

Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

I assume our fs-honmen coupons will still work?

Signature censored by Woot

awgPablo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages awgPablo

Wow, congrats! I guess I'll join whatever club that likely doesn't exist for "people who only buy from Amazon & Woot!". These two sites make up most of my online buying habits, so... cool beans, I guess!

I hope Amazon dumped huge truckloads of money at you guys so the prices can come down even further... unless you just want to spread the money around to your long-time customers?? How about an actual chance to purchase a Bandolier of Carpaccio?

Best of luck, W!

My new signature... now absent of a link to my website. Oops.

hyperart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hyperart

The response to the question "Will the Woot culture change?" is almost word-to-word the same as the Zappos' letter to its employees, aside from the snarky comments.

What's up with that? Did Amazon send you guys a canned letter to send to your employees?

"A big part of the reason why Amazon is interested in us is because they recognize the value of our culture, our people, and our brand. Their desire is for us to continue to grow and develop our culture (and perhaps even a little bit of our culture may rub off on them).

They are not looking to have their folks come in and run Zappos unless we ask them to. That being said, they have a lot of experience and expertise in a lot of areas, so we're very excited about the opportunities to tap into their knowledge, expertise, and resources, especially on the technology side. This is about making the Zappos brand, culture, and business even stronger than it is today."

slsnow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slsnow

I am devastated. Woot has become a member of the borg: Amazon, a corporation intent on monopolizing online shopping. Since I refuse to buy from Amazon, this is a major dilemma for me. What a disappointment.

kirkajr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirkajr
KidKobun wrote:"...we plan to continue to run Woot the way we have always run Woot..."

So we can still expect like 5 Bo'Cs every woot!-off and limited server bandwidth?

Exactly... Being acquired by a monster like Amazon should immediately get the ball rolling for a project to increase server bandwidth. However, after going through three corporate buyouts personally on different jobs, I agree with the comment below also. RIP Woot...

paradise wrote:I give Woot about a 2% chance of not changing in some significant way due to this sellout and about a 20% chance of not changing so much as to make me lose interest.

Oh well, I suppose Woot is going to get Amazon sending customers their way in return.

Good luck staying good, Woot...the problem is, with Amazon's resources, you don't have to stay good anymore.

Cooter007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cooter007

You are dead to me now!

tskiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tskiller

This is a shame. Another unique online shop gobbled up by some faceless gigantic corporation.

suttomd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suttomd

Dear Amazon, handle this transaction carefully!!
There are alot of loyal woot customers that are counting on this great site to continue. If it's handled improperly, it will go down like an Obama promise. I'm just hoping you'll use woot as a place to offer some outstanding bargains left over from Amazon.com

gambl0r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gambl0r

Congrats, Woot!!

I know you guys said you will be operating as a separate entity from Amazon, buuuut I wouldn't complain if my Prime membership gave me free 2-day shipping on Woot, too. :D

texasoasis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texasoasis

Yea! I love Amazon! I have the Amazon credit card too! Double yea!

I wonder if they can can they loan you some super efficient (non-crashing) servers that won't go toes up on Bowl of Cereal woots?

Hopefully "now" with "other people" (yea, I am stressing emphasis with quotes )maybe finally one day I'll get to win a Bowl of Cereal, of course now it might just be full of crappy kindle book download coupons. :/

hcsencsi

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hcsencsi

I would love single sign on to both sites!

Congrats, woot, I hope that nothing changes for all of you except that you're rolling in a huge pile of cash like kids in a leaf pile.

Oh and I have that monkey rap stuck in my head. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Booger Face

Distractedone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Distractedone

Congrats!!!!

Eastcoastmary

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Eastcoastmary

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
I'm so disappointed. I understand but hate to see it.
I hope the wine woot doesn't change.

Havokk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Havokk

LOL great monkey video and congrats guys. I haven't been this happen since short circuit 2 came out.

Oldpanzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oldpanzer

Where did the time go, is it 1 April again already?? Oh Woot you are so funny... congrats and don't change your style. :D

Havokk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Havokk
suttomd wrote:Dear Amazon, handle this transaction carefully!!
There are alot of loyal woot customers that are counting on this great site to continue. If it's handled improperly, it will go down like an Obama promise. I'm just hoping you'll use woot as a place to offer some outstanding bargains left over from Amazon.com

YEAH SO DON'T DiK IT UP!

joliver02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joliver02

First United & Continental; now this... say it ain't so.

bubbawheat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubbawheat

LOL...so much drama...some way too excited and some way too disappointed.

Can't blame the monkey for big league ambition's - here's to hoping this is a net positive (faster shipping fulfilment and better servers would be welcomed).
woot woot

shamcy

vladistov wrote:So, Amazon sees an opportunity for monetary gain by possession of Woot! . . . does this mean they desire the money Woot! makes, or does it mean they desire the money Woot! customers save? Ever heard of a company buying the rights to an invention or idea to ensure it stays of the market? Ever heard of price-fixing (it's not price-fixing if it's your own company)? Yeah . . .

I think Amazon wants to sell on woot what collects dust in their warehouses and I think they believe that you and I are saving too much for our own good by shopping on woot. Now Amazon will fix that snafu.

ddgaffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddgaffer

It's the beginning of the end, as with all things that work, they get swallowed by the big guy and eventually the culture fades away. I hope I'm wrong but woot will be a shadow of itself in 18 months or less. We will miss the old woot

KIBullhorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIBullhorn
bikerraypa wrote:Woot Prime would be the coolest Transformer EVER.

Oh God you are so right. I freaking love it!

lenny7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lenny7

fakon.

But, if this cures the crashed servers every time there's a Bowl Of Cantalope, all is forgiven.

b236en

quality posts: 0 Private Messages b236en

Amazon sucks and now Woot! sucks. Amazon must have a bunch of crap they need to get rid of and they figure lets buy woot! and see if we can crap it up some more with our crap crap... Amazon you better not F-up Woot... Punks!!!

wildeye

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wildeye

ZOmelets made great! Holy crap! I didn't hear until late in the day, but wow, I am so astonished! I kind of knew that woot had grown into a big operation, but still -- $110M, nice.

Congratulations, everyone at woot!

The funny thing about this is that I shop so much on Amazon that basically woot was a nice change of pace against that background.

Now, in some sense, I guess I'll just be spending *all* of my time at Amazon. Hmm.

dmmutti

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dmmutti

So are you guys like stupid rich now?

janepaulhut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janepaulhut

sad face. you will become amazonian and never speak woot again. this always happens to my friends. : (

blaze0ne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blaze0ne

Update: We’re hearing from a solid source that the price Amazon paid was $110 million — all in cash.

As a business owner myself, I can safely say the CEO (and all managing partners) made an obviously easy and wise business decision by selling for ~$110 million.

Sadly, Woot.com can never, may never, and will never be the same; whether it's the easily identifiable changes to come such as products sold or the exponentially more difficult to attain positive and mystifying aura of Woot! itself.

BUT the newfound wealth will hopefully go to the right people to create other and more unique, new, exciting, and consumer friendly sites/stores/companies/products/services......

Lastly, thank you woot! for turning me into an addict, leading to my nightly 1:00am woot! fix since 2005....