Paleogirl2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Paleogirl2003

(1) congratulations
(2) what would be absolutely golden would be if you could make my woot account link to my amazon prime account with all of the shipping goodness that goes with it
(3) what's with all of these anti-amazonians, I don't get it, amazon rocks my socks, why are people anti-capitaistic, I mean this is America after all (for now anyway)

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Nothing has even happened yet and everyone's already complaining. Doom and gloom are here to ruin everyone's cake, PANIK!!

Yup, it's still America.

mkentosh

quality posts: 308 Private Messages mkentosh

I just hope there is no cross branding... like Flying Monkeys with Amazon Capes

samsearth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samsearth

....SOLD to the Amazonian Devil Jeff Bezos! Hilarious letter, Matt! especially the references made to the Holy Grail.. I wish I was at home now drinking while I was reading.. its the best thing I have read for a while. As a company..you guys are awesome (i've never bought anything from you.. but I read you constantly).

Good luck with Amazon! Woot!!

New004lagmaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages New004lagmaster

where is the check box going to be for 2 day prime shipping. I want my Monkey the day after the day after i order them.

Think of the new Bowl of Cereal.

mippolito

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mippolito

congratulations.woot!

WebBull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WebBull

Good for you Woot! You could not have been bought by a better company. For all you doom and gloom anti establishment wackos; nothing will change, you will see.

Edit: Like the fool below me.

rolandvz71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rolandvz71

Corp take overs hurt you and me

Taking you off my favs----SELL OUTS!

No more free shipping unless you spend 25 or more---- and forget about hot 24 hour deals anymore!

Thanks for stickin it to the little guy!

eco2geek

quality posts: 51 Private Messages eco2geek
bassanimation wrote:Nothing has even happened yet and everyone's already complaining. Doom and gloom are here to ruin everyone's cake, PANIK!!

Yup, it's still America.

Ya know what else is so American about this -- privately held company is bought by big corporation. Former owner (still CEO) has a big payday. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

You do nice artwork, BTW.

We have met the enemy and he is us. -- Pogo

pmarin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmarin
WebBull wrote:Good for you Woot! You could not have been bought by a better company. For all you doom and gloom anti establishment wackos; nothing will change, you will see.

Having been in a smaller business that was bought-out by the dominant corporation in the industry (TWICE), I'd have to disagree. It might take a year or two for the changes to start becoming evident, but, eventually, I fear all Woot-ness will be lost.

WebBull

pmarin wrote:Having been in a smaller business that was bought-out by the dominant corporation in the industry (TWICE), I'd have to disagree. It might take a year or two for the changes to start becoming evident, but, eventually, I fear all Woot-ness will be lost.

Yes, that may be true but not with Amazon. Look at their purchase of Zappos. Absolutely nothing changed....not even the good things like shipping etc. They are completely separate. The don't even show up as a retailer under Amazon Marketplace.

Also, Amazon has owned a piece of Woot since 2006 so it's not really that big of a deal.

soliver

quality posts: 27 Private Messages soliver

Yes! As an Amazon.com stockholder, I know own part of Woot! Yeah!

Now I just need to sit back and wait for the 1 billion dollar goodwill impairment coming in about two years

Rekcuftaog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rekcuftaog

Congrats fellas, so does this mean you guys will be able to ship worldwide?

bobqmccracken

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobqmccracken

I lied, I thought of another question - did the investment Amazon made in 2008 come into play then?

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

So, when does Matt's golden parachute open? 'Cause after that, the descriptive drivel gets created by committees and vetted by lawyers, the podcast goes commercial and studio, and the product mix goes to whatever Amazon can't unload.

lordroy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lordroy

Dont get me wrong, I like amazon as much as the next person, but, having WooT owned by them, well, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel that WooT will just become another advertising scheme for a big company... for instance, the very first WooT I see on the page (since acquisition) is an Amazon Kindle... for the same price as I saw it yesterday on Amazon. I always thought WooT was about having great prices... EXCLUSIVE deals, etc... not just another way to sell products.

Just sayin...

-=R=-

invasion88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages invasion88

bah. woot has been losing it's luster and this will go one of two ways. 1. you won't be able to buy anything good anymore. if you never were able to buy a Bowl of Cereal before, forget it now. 2. amazon finds a way to make you fun again.

Brian

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

I suppose the good news is that I won't be as tempted by random deals and off-the-wall shirts while unemployed during the Great Recession.

WebBull

Amazon is a smart company. They are not purchasing Woot to destroy it. Here is a decent article that gives a little better background.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/technology/01woot.html?partner=yahoofinance

JohnWooten

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JohnWooten

And I thought for sure this was a clue to a hidden Bowl of Cereal...

Lotsa stuff...

wire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wire

Hmmmm, me thinks I smell something foul.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

Well Woot, Good Luck. I hope you keep the fun, the integrity, the deals, all that stuff.

Typically the way these things work is the big company that bought the little company, making a few people at the little company super rich and several more kinda rich - do nothing the first year. They will say things like we bought the company because of they are charming or they service a niche market that we can't, or something along those lines.

Then about a year or so later it dawns on the big company that they paid all this money for the little company and the sales they were expecting just isn't happening. It's at this juncture that the big company decides it is time to send in some "experts" to infuse the little company they bought with some expertise. Maybe these folks can help make the little company make more money.

It's at this point where things pretty much go to hell!

For everyone's sake Woot, I hope you manage to subscribe to the late Mr. Rogers when he said "I like you just the way you are." Let's hope you can stay that way.

lilroundhouse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilroundhouse

Hopefully this means no more Smartpost?

ycrayon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ycrayon

Congratulations! I hope this means when you offer a Book of Crap, you'll have about 10,000 of them so I can at least get one and not miss out all the time.

oopl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oopl

Does this mean I have to pay taxes for Amazon.com purchases? (I live in Hurricane Alex battered Texas) Please say it ain't so!

fractalVisionz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fractalVisionz
Gimpy04 wrote:As an Amazon employee and a fellow Wooter: Welcome to the family.

As a Lab126 employee (Amazon.com subsidiary that makes the kindle), welcome to the family. Thanks for finally having our baby on Woot too!

tammasarath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tammasarath

bad news......if not today, but sooner or later amazon will definitely increase the prices if not, then it will levy other kind of murky business tactics like if the purchase is not more than $25 then shipping costs will be more kind of stuff. u know what i mean.....anyway good by woot. u "we" lost freedom.

teamtyson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teamtyson

So does this mean you will start shipping to Hawaii???? That would absolutely make my day!

darrylxxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darrylxxx

Hilarious video dudes. Great letter too. Good move to be bought by the mothership...

JosieAK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JosieAK

Yay! Maybe you'll ship to Alaska now. Christmas shopping here I come!

dandadude102

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dandadude102

Woot has sold out to the man! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MBrulla

quality posts: 12 Private Messages MBrulla
mkentosh wrote:I just hope there is no cross branding... like Flying Monkeys with Amazon Capes

I'd get them...

homeinsitka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages homeinsitka
Sparkstalker wrote:That was the first thing to go through my mind too...

Congrats, guys!

May they now ship to Alaska!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

karlster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karlster

Whoooooo Hoooo! Woot!

...now with global shipping...

I've been a non-buying member for years here in New Zealand just waiting for that to finally happen! Pleeeze say it will.

The folks in Maggie's Nipples, Wyoming and Assinippi, Massachusetts must be beside themselves with joy.

planetjeffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages planetjeffy

Note to the New Woot:

Just sell everything Amazon has for 1 dollar.
You will be a huge success and I will be very happy.

planetjeffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages planetjeffy

Final note to the New Woot:

Buying crap nobody wants and
selling it to suckers like me for high dollar...

With those fat margins; in another couple of months you could have bought the Zon.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

ACTUAL NOTES FROM THE AMAZON BOARD MEETING, JULY, 2011.

Jeff: Guys, gals, I would like to bring the meeting to order... Please everyone, have a seat, we have a busy agenda this morning. Before we get started, let's have a round of applause for Grace here. I don't know if you know this or not but when Grace isn't working here at Amazon, she is secretly developing "Green" dog food that is environmentally friendly BEFORE and AFTER the dog eats it! It gives me great pleasure to announce that Grace just got a patent for it! (everyone cheers)

Well onto business. As all of you know, we bought Woot a little over a year ago and I feel it is my duty, pardon the pun Grace, get it, DUTY... that I inform all of you on the board how we are doing, or how Woot is doing. let's start with the good news. For the few of us here who still eat meat, there is nothing like going to visit the folks at Woot, wow, you talk about rib joints, I'm tellin you, there is a reason why the good ol lord invented Texas, RIBS. Damn, they are good, and those folks from Woot, hell, you get into one of their all scratched up Cadillacs from driving through the hay fields, and you will land at some of the best places for lunch, no fruit, no veggies, just good ol fashion Texas bar b que, beans, dirty rice, and a beer assortment to die for! Just be real carefull bout those beans because when you get back from lunch you want to meet in a well ventilated room if you catch my drift. But I digress. Anyway as you all know, we paid a bunch of money for Woot and while they are doin okay, they're not doing great. The problem is that okay isn't good enough for the stockholders. They made a big deal at the Stockholders meeting. They want to know when they can start seeing their stock go up. They wanted to know what my plan was, and it better not include supplying Woot with P C laptops every other day or 42" LCD TV's. So that is our mission everyone, what are we going to do about Woot. I think we need a task force to research what people's buying habits are, Jim, Carol, would you two head that up? We need another committee to figure out what people's selling habits are. Justin, Reggie, Sue, would you mind? I think we need to commission a study on how the growth of the internet is affecting retail. Howard, Chuck, could you honcho that. We also need several interpreters. Jill, find people who are fluent in translating Seattle speak to Carrollton and vica versa. Hell if we can't figure out what the other is saying maybe that is part of the problem. Okay everyone, let's have a weekly meeting to discuss the hot points and goals, and a meeting every other week to discuss strategy and operational interfaces. We're gonna turn this Woot thing around no matter what it takes, even if we have to sell a few of those flying saucer self propelled vaccum cleaners along the way. Does anyone know if there is a Starbucks in Caroollton?

djrmsn

quality posts: 21 Private Messages djrmsn

Bad concerns: Will shipping till be $5? That's the deal breaker for me. Amazon's shipping rates are high. The shipping costs keep me from buying half the crap on Deals. Also, what about taxes? Amazon collects for all states that have sales tax. Another hefty hit.

Good parts: Amazon is international so will international shipping be available or will there be international woot sites? I travel internationally, check woot every morning, and it's like my birthday every time I get home to USA and to my purchases/"presents". :-)

djrmsn

quality posts: 21 Private Messages djrmsn

[quote postid="4016527" user="showcaller"]ACTUAL NOTES FROM THE AMAZON BOARD MEETING, JULY, 2011.

Jeff: Guys, gals, I would like to bring the meeting to order...
[majority deleted - go see the original - it's worth reading].

Hey Showcaller. That's some bit of writing and I don't know what qualifies as a "Quality Post" but you get a vote from me.

bigfoot013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigfoot013

Congratulations Woot. May you have a very happy marriage. Never mind those that say 50 percent of marriages end up in divorce. Every body says those kind of things. I understand that you have been dating since 2008. You should know your partner well by now. You say they that they had sexy servers? I hope you married for true love and not just for their severs. Well you know there is no such thing as free servers. Ok, maybe during the honeymoon, for a year or two. But sooner or later rules seem to pop up. You don't always get the unlimited access that you dream of. Even it you don't get everything you want, you should get plenty enough not to stray off and doing thing stupid. Just say I love those sexy servers and keep up the good work!