Wootieful

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wootieful

There goes the neighborhood...

Frappin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Frappin

Will there still be a Book of Crap? What about Woot offs? I'm going to read the awfully long article and hope it answers my questions.

bandk1000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bandk1000

Congrats! But the day after announcing this is not the day to have a big SOLD OUT on the home page.

bandk1000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bandk1000

Besides, isn't there some good irony in selling out of Kindles just when you married Amazon? It's like finding out on your honeymoon that your billionaire spouse whom you married for money is really bankrupt. Congrats anyway - we'll always love you even if Amazon is hiding the extra Kindles from you!

elynnjean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elynnjean
shamcy wrote:I think Amazon wants to sell on woot what collects dust in their warehouses and I think they believe that you and I are saving too much for our own good by shopping on woot. Now Amazon will fix that snafu.

And then they can lay off the Woot buyers because they won't need them anymore because they will sell Amazon's dusty crap instead. Bummer.

I used to better than everyone else; now I'm just purple.

Stumpy91

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Stumpy91
WebBull wrote:Amazon is a smart company. They are not purchasing Woot to destroy it. Here is a decent article that gives a little better background.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/technology/01woot.html?partner=yahoofinance

The article states "Some, like Woot, sell just one item a day or, like Groupon, cancel the entire deal if not enough people buy in.". When has this ever happened at WOOT?

Edit: Sorry, I misinterpreted the statement initially. I didn't sleep all night after reading the post about Amazon. ;^)

• 75 total wOOts including
  • 4/01/10 Adventure Crap
  • 12/25/09 Santa's Sack O' Crap
  • 10/23/08, 9/25/09, 3/26/10, 5/26/10, 6/24/10, 9/22/10, 10/21/10, 12/1/10, 1/25/11, 3/9/11, 5/11/11 and 3/22/12 Bundles of Crayons
  • 12 sellout.wOOts
  • 5 shirt.wOOts
  • No kids.wOOts (that I know of)

katiecat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katiecat

I'm happy for you all. Please don't change a lick of your customer processes, though. You're a pleasure to do business with.

mrskandis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrskandis

Way to go Woot!
I feel like a proud mom! I have never got a Bowl of Cereal. But I have gotten alot of great things. I look forward to our future together.

almightytora

quality posts: 0 Private Messages almightytora

Will this mean we will be able to pay with Amazon gift certificates? (Sorry if this was asked already.)

Fahrenheit451

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fahrenheit451

Can someone please instruct me on how to cancel and remove my membership at Woot? There are no provisions to do so that I can find. Thank you.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Fahrenheit451 wrote:Can someone please instruct me on how to cancel and remove my membership at Woot? There are no provisions to do so that I can find. Thank you.

You can just continue to not buy anything. Almost the same thing.

Nothing follows.

Stephen1424

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Stephen1424
Fahrenheit451 wrote:Can someone please instruct me on how to cancel and remove my membership at Woot? There are no provisions to do so that I can find. Thank you.

You've been signed up for a year and a half, purchased nothing, and your only post is to complain ?

I don't see how you can complain if you haven't used the site at all...

Woots: 43 Monkeys: 7 + 2 Mini
Shirts: 32 Probations: 2
Woot Off's: 30 Woot Lights: 6
Bags of Crup: 11
Almost Bags of Crap: 25

HikingStick

quality posts: 6 Private Messages HikingStick

I'm excited for you, and terrifified at the same time. Amazon best not mess with Woot-off process, or dare impede the propogation of Blessings Of Commerce.

Alas, my personal dream of amassing piles of money from conducting covert genetic experiments and using that money to buy Woot! for myself have come to naught...

I guess I'd better polish up my resume and switch to decaf.

HikingStick
Blessings Of Commerce> Seven!
Woots> 36 and counting!
Sellout Woots> Eight.
Shirt Woots> Two (BoCarrots, The Raven).
Kids Woots> Eight.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller
bandk1000 wrote:Besides, isn't there some good irony in selling out of Kindles just when you married Amazon? It's like finding out on your honeymoon that your billionaire spouse whom you married for money is really bankrupt. Congrats anyway - we'll always love you even if Amazon is hiding the extra Kindles from you!

Brides generally have to be in the mood to Kindle. It can't be a forced situation. This isn't the last of the Kindles, it's just that if Woot wants more, they have to treat her right.

mnswisher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnswisher

I'm just glad I got a b!0!c before the buyout.

coopdaveel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coopdaveel

Sad to hear that an awesome just-fine-as-it-is company has to give in to such an acquisition.

Resistance is futile? It may look good at this point but I wonder where Woot will be in a year?

Good luck.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1

I think the woot gods need to go through these comments and keep track of all the posters saying they won't be back and add a little script that prevents those user IDs from ever buying the Bushel Of Corn. The error message could be something like, "we don't take kindly to your types 'round here" or "your blasphemy will not be rewarded".

Chnaane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chnaane

Sigh. Anyone else on here remember CDNow? Yeah, they were another cool, successful online biz that got assimilated by Amazon, to become Amazon's music department. Which is OK, but probably not as good as if CDNow had remained independent.

I shop at Amazon. They're not on any kind of a big grudge list or anything with me; I don't quite see them as the online equivalent of Wal*Mart. But the claim that Woot will be allowed to keep its special way of woot-woot-wooting along is just plain not credible. It never works out that way.

showcaller

elynnjean wrote:And then they can lay off the Woot buyers because they won't need them anymore because they will sell Amazon's dusty crap instead. Bummer.

Not so fast. I know that is an easy conclusion to come to but it is too simplistic. While we are all on "Woot Street" playing Checkers, just below us beneath the humore and city lights are the marketing and data analysts from Woot and Amazon and they playing three dimensional chess!

I suspect that while some of the Amazon stuff will make its' way to Woot, that wasn't the primary goal.

kevmiester

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kevmiester

Before the change over can we see an old, back in the day, Purple Woot again? I miss the purple.....

lizardking7112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizardking7112

Amazon + Woot= Golden Box of Crap

sdoregon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdoregon
sometimesdee wrote:Amazon owns Endless, not Zappos.

Actually, Amazon owns Zappos...

showcaller

djrmsn wrote:[quote postid="4016527" user="showcaller"]ACTUAL NOTES FROM THE AMAZON BOARD MEETING, JULY, 2011.

Jeff: Guys, gals, I would like to bring the meeting to order...
[majority deleted - go see the original - it's worth reading].

Hey Showcaller. That's some bit of writing and I don't know what qualifies as a "Quality Post" but you get a vote from me.

Thanks.... but i have no idea what qualifies as a quality post!
(will write for food -posting isn't paying the bills right now)

reelstuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reelstuff

Jeff we know and Amazon we know but who is woot, lol

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. Sir Winston Churchill

reelstuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reelstuff
bsmith1 wrote:I think the woot gods need to go through these comments and keep track of all the posters saying they won't be back and add a little script that prevents those user IDs from ever buying the Bushel Of Corn. The error message could be something like, "we don't take kindly to your types 'round here" or "your blasphemy will not be rewarded".

our you could say, well just censor you

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. Sir Winston Churchill

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
reelstuff wrote:our you could say, well just censor you

I don't get it.

archiestone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages archiestone

you - will - be - assimilated.

fishingFreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishingFreak

AMAZON CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS! Hope they don't change you, but it is inevitable...Thanks for all the wonderdeals in the past. BYE

swingwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swingwood

I hope this means new Bentley's for everyone in your office. :-) Congrats!

showcaller

swingwood wrote:I hope this means new Bentley's for everyone in your office. :-) Congrats!

Nahhhhhhh, Prius's on the house. Invest the difference in oil clean up technology.

bscheele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bscheele

Will the Bags of Crap actually be filled with crap going forward?

davidseifert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidseifert

Sorry to hear it.Won't be the first time a great entrepreneurial company got snatched up by a big conglomerate and got wrecked.

derrickkudo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derrickkudo

another company selling out. guess with these economic times its a good thing. i loved woot the way it was. if you guys turn out to be like zappos i'm over you. sellout!woot is corporate enough!

donohuer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages donohuer

So did Amazon take advantage of special pricing during the most recent Woot-Off or was this a regular old deal of the day?

And congrats, real easy for folks to yell "Sell Out" when someone isn't wagging the big bucks in their face. Woo hoo hoo, go on, take the money and run...

sebrantley25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sebrantley25

So the Kings of the Sellout have become sellouts. Why not?

bobman12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobman12

Good news for the Woot execs and inside stock holders. Most likely bad for employees and customers. Zappos customer service is down since the Amazon acquisition, and the former CEO, Tony Hsieh, quit over people concerns; seems Amazon and Hsieh had a difference of opinion about employees. I'm certain Amazon doesn't ask "How weird are you on a scale of 1 to 10?" during interviews anymore.

devzero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages devzero

does this mean the amazon servers will crash every time there's a Bowl of Cereal?

gjgill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gjgill

Woomazon? Amazoot?
What will you be known as eventually?

lynnber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lynnber

Congratulations! It really is the American dream to start small and then sell out to the big guys, and I do hope you laugh all the way to the bank, and keep us laughing for at least a little while longer...
Think my Woot-Off lights will become a collectible?

fuzzy28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzy28

Yeah for WOOT!!!