CaptainTr1pps

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CaptainTr1pps
DarthJay wrote:Well I have been saying for a while that the bags of crap had been far too frequent and that the content put into them was cookie cutter and not up to normal "old days of woot" par -- that woot had sold out.

We'll see what happens now...

In the old days, weren't they usually broken scaffolding?

DarthJay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarthJay
wgmartin wrote:Here is the last of several news articles from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about the Woot sale & the results. Sorry to see the St. Louis staff go -- I believe that their offices are just a couple blocks from where I grew up and my family lived.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/building-blocks/article_2a303f55-9d7b-5d5c-9991-9b8d6e304c53.html

Will

Oh noes!! What's the fate of Jason Toon? Is he going to Seattle?

-----------------------------------------
(to change to a non-Woot avatar - go to https://account.woot.com and click on the "add connection" link in the top right corner of the connections box. Once you've linked to the other accounts, you can use that avatar)

Randyl814

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Randyl814

does this mean no free stuff?

stile99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stile99
wgmartin wrote:Here is the last of several news articles from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about the Woot sale & the results. Sorry to see the St. Louis staff go -- I believe that their offices are just a couple blocks from where I grew up and my family lived.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/building-blocks/article_2a303f55-9d7b-5d5c-9991-9b8d6e304c53.html

Will

That is so obviously a fake article, because 'nothing is going to change'.

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
CaptainTr1pps wrote:When did Amazon stop being Cool? I remember them as that cool internet store that never made any money but sold everything under the sun. Seems people are forgetting that they started in a similar place as woot.

I love Amazon, and I love Woot, a better retail combination I could not imagine.

PS - For the love of God, negotiate some of that Prime shipping.

Little known trivia:

Synapse Micro Inc.
Incorporated February 1994
Woot.com launched July 2004

Amazon.com, Inc.
Incorporated July 1994
Launched July 1995

It's sort of pointless (or even embarrassing) but for the point of lowering anxiety I'll state that Amazon is actually younger. We just spent more time fine tuning the model.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Snapster wrote:Little known trivia:

Synapse Micro Inc.
Incorporated February 1994
Woot.com launched July 2004

Amazon.com, Inc.
Incorporated July 1994
Launched July 1995

It's sort of pointless (or even embarrassing) but for the point of lowering anxiety I'll state that Amazon is actually younger. We just spent more time fine tuning the model.

so how does your family feel about you partnering with a younger amazon?

ZAKZAC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZAKZAC

u guys have the coolest boss ever. my boss writes letters like "i'm going to deduct your pay b/c alot of the mexicans are willing to work minimum wage. and also i must add that production needs to be doubled or u will lose your job..." cool huh

kpituley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kpituley
ncc1701p wrote:Does this mean really epic bags of crap?

3 books without covers?

suelegal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suelegal

That's really too bad. I've unsubscribed and won't be buying woot anything anymore. I loathe Amazon, don't buy anything from them, ever.

Sue Roth
Denville, NJ
--
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
suelegal wrote:That's really too bad. I've unsubscribed and won't be buying woot anything anymore. I loathe Amazon, don't buy anything from them, ever.

Congrats on finding the super secret unsubscribe option.

Nothing follows.

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21
taternuggets wrote:Congrats on finding the super secret unsubscribe option.

She probably means the Newsletters. I stopped paying for my subscription years ago.

ccm800

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccm800

what a frakkin drag.

Sgnowlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sgnowlin

Wow, I'm really sad to see this happen. You know I noticed something a little different when I placed my last order. I didnt get the quick response or the funny little comments that I look so forward to. And now seeing delays in shipping, that is a first and reading how other people's orders didnt arrive in such great condition. Really makes me wonder... I want the old woot back. Hope it gets back to normal woot as normal was woot can be. Good luck guys and gals.

spd2base

quality posts: 10 Private Messages spd2base

Woot! has yet to admit that the little time they have been under "Amazon's" wing...they have already changed. No more HappyHours, woot offs are less frequent, no funny quick quirps from staff like they used too...etc. Its really sad to see the path they are heading down, but no good thing can last forever, right?. I'm just glad that I was a part of it w/u guys during the early years...when things were not as tainted as they are now.

We'll always have lolcats until they sellout to "the man" as well.

• 10/21/10 Random Crap
  • 9/22/10 Random Crap
  • Woot-off Lights
  • Motorola Xbox 360 Gaming Headset
  • 4/28/10 Random Crap
  • Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook with Accessory Kit
  • Screaming Glow-in-the-Dark Monkey with Woot Cape
  • 2/25/10 Random Crap
  • Mustek 1.5” Digital Photo Frame and Alarm Clock
  • Dorcy LED Mini Keychain Light
  • Pro-Form Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor with Chest Strap
  • Random Crap 03/09/11
  • amazoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amazoot

People of Woot:

In your video about being acquired by Amazon, it is mentioned that you may no longer roll into work with your pajamas on. All I can say is that you might want to reconsider that policy. *Wink wink, nudge nudge*

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
    spd2base wrote:Woot! has yet to admit that the little time they have been under "Amazon's" wing...they have already changed. No more HappyHours, woot offs are less frequent, no funny quick quirps from staff like they used too...etc. Its really sad to see the path they are heading down, but no good thing can last forever, right?. I'm just glad that I was a part of it w/u guys during the early years...when things were not as tainted as they are now.

We'll always have lolcats until they sellout to "the man" as well.

I know I mentioned in a previous thread here, but will do it again.

Happy Hour's were long gone before Amazon acquired Woot. Happy Hour's stopped in May. Woot became a subsidiary on June 30.

It hasn't been that long since the last Woot-Off. The last Woot-Off was at the end of June (last day was the 24th), because I got a Bowl of Cereal that day. So it's just been a little over 5 weeks since the last Woot-Off. Woot's birthday was on July 12 so my guess is they don't want to give a Bowl of Cereal away twice in one month. Many people just show up for the Bowl of Cereal and have no interest in purchasing other items.

I do have an interest in purchasing certain items, but only what I need.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

spd2base wrote:no funny quick quirps from staff like they used too...

hope you stretched out so you didn't pull a muscle while jumping to all those conclusions BOO YAH

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

mickwe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mickwe
    Tyross wrote:R.I.P. Woot. Fun while it lasted.

Tax for WA state now means no more deals. Not to mention noscript now shows the login screen as a hijack attempt =/

Good times were had and I own many a Vornado - thanks again and good luck in your new jobs.

How do I go about canceling my account?

mickwe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mickwe

Tax in WA now??
    I won't order from Woot anymore if this is true?

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
    mickwe wrote:Tax in WA now??
    I won't order from Woot anymore if this is true?

More Bowl of Cereal's for the rest of us then.

And yes, it is true, Woot has to charge sales tax in Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, Washington, Texas and Missouri (until August 30th or 31st). List of states was pulled from Here.

taihlo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taihlo
    And yes, it is true, Woot has to charge sales tax in Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, Washington, Texas and Missouri (until August 30th or 31st). List of states was pulled from Here.

If there is a cutoff date, then I am fine with it, but Amazon has been charging tax in NY since the state tried (and failed) to pass a law requiring all internet sales to pay tax. Most websites' legal departments figured out it was BS, but Amazon's staffed by Woot Flying monkeys (hence the acquisition) so they haven't figured it out yet...

cliff75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cliff75

Can a business culture remain the same when the business model changes?

socceruci

quality posts: 0 Private Messages socceruci

FYI, Woot!

The influence of Amazon was not noticed until you rebuilt the website...You have sold out, because...

1. You have those extremely annoying pop-up to log ins.

2. No more discussion on ALL you products. People now cannot discuss all those additional deals. That is less feedback than amazon sales.

Now I spend too much time on your website and buy nothing...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

socceruci wrote:FYI, Woot!

The influence of Amazon was not noticed until you rebuilt the website...You have sold out, because...

1. You have those extremely annoying pop-up to log ins.

2. No more discussion on ALL you products. People now cannot discuss all those additional deals. That is less feedback than amazon sales.

Now I spend too much time on your website and buy nothing...

Hi there. I appreciate the comment about the login pop-ups. Be sure to pass that feedback on via the Beta Feedback button at the upper right. They are reading it. Not all things will be changed of course and change takes some time, but all comments are read and considered.

As to the discussion threads, it's true that we didn't have them for the side/Plus events for about the first month but they were added about two weeks ago after receiving customer feedback. You'll see a link to the discussion thread on the Event page for each Plus event. We don't have item level discussions on those because there's just too many and not enough comments to warrant it at this time.

Hope that helps and thanks for taking the time to comment!

FORUM MODERATOR
    To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
    ••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
    CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

socceruci

quality posts: 0 Private Messages socceruci
    ThunderThighs wrote:Hi there. I appreciate the comment about the login pop-ups. Be sure to pass that feedback on via the Beta Feedback button at the upper right. They are reading it. Not all things will be changed of course and change takes some time, but all comments are read and considered.

As to the discussion threads, it's true that we didn't have them for the side/Plus events for about the first month but they were added about two weeks ago after receiving customer feedback. You'll see a link to the discussion thread on the Event page for each Plus event. We don't have item level discussions on those because there's just too many and not enough comments to warrant it at this time.

Hope that helps and thanks for taking the time to comment!

I am mostly just discouraged that the old useful Woot community is practically gone, and that the quality of the deals seem to have fallen by the wayside. Instead of embracing the thing that made you unique you went towards what every other company does.

If you recall this is why Google is on top and Yahoo and MSN are by standers. Focus on serving the users.

sixiam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sixiam

I guess that considering Woot is an Amazon company, you must abide by the new sales tax deals coming into effect. PA and CA sales tax will be collected, starting in September.

knavekid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages knavekid
    knavekid wrote:Wow! What a coincidence! In my email this morning was a message that started with:

"Good Morning All -

I am very pleased to announce this morning that "Company A" has agreed to become part of "Company B". Our Board of Directors carefully considered the alternatives for our company and unanimously concluded that "Company B" offered the best opportunities for our employees, customers, and stockholders. ..."

We were also told that, "... we do not expect any adverse personnel actions as a result of this transaction."

It looks like it will be an interesting time for the Woot staff as well as for me and my coworkers.

Repeat after me:
    Change is opportunity.
    Change is opportunity.
    Change is opportunity.

I'm quoting myself here to bump this old topic. I'm just curious about how the transition has been for all the Woot staff as compared to the transition at my office.

Our company was about 1000 employees when we were acquired by a company with over 150,000 employees. We have transitioned all benefits and payroll to the new company. Some benefits aren't as good and others are better. The employee discounts offered to us by other companies are much better! As far as day to day changes, we have switched email systems but are in between network domains. We need to be connected to the new company network for email and employee services and the old company network to do our jobs. Slow SSLVPN is not cutting it. We are about to get new computers with virtual machines installed so we can be on both networks simultaneously, so we'll see how that works out. Still, the old network help desk was dismantled and the new network help desk can't help with issues regarding the old network that we use. No local IT support also hurts our small 20 person satellite office.

How has the Woot transition gone looking back over the past 2.5 years since your acquisition?