jparamch

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jparamch
jparamch wrote:So in laymans (ie. dumbass) terms, what will this mean for us woot shoppers? And what about for us Amazon shoppers?

Oh, hey jparamch glad you asked some questions. Here are some details.

http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=13390

reggebah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reggebah
Woot has signed an agreement with Amazon - yes, the Amazon

You signed an agreement with Wonder Woman?!?!?!

Rosewood

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Rosewood

Free Prime shipping on my Book of Crap, right?

pezlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pezlin

Congrats! KIT!

Recent Woots:
7/7/08 - Navigon GPS
6/20/08 - Mighty Kite Mini-Kite
3/29/08 - SlingBox Classic
11/12/07 & 10/7/07 - 30gb Zune

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

If Woot! were to utilize the Amazon fulfillment centers that are spread out throughout the country...then how would we be able to inhale that sweet, precious Texas scent from the bags of air?? I don't want my air bags to be filled with that skanky Seattle air.

darkally

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkally

So all you do is send a crate full of cash to them every month in exchange for publicity on their front page?

angelagunn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages angelagunn
ibkidd37 wrote:Please oh please let this be the end of SmartPost's association with Woot...

+1. Sheesh, if any *immediate* good can come of this, so may it be...

cjupiter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cjupiter

I thought it didn't get any better than KFC & Taco Bell combo restaurants. Wow.

Gratz Woot! Hope you keep the same out-in-left-field, snarky, who us? attitude. I like that about you.

I even buy the Cr@p that ISN'T random.

bmxjimp

quality posts: 38 Private Messages bmxjimp
BigD wrote:Didn't you see Amazon yesterday? They've started using our servers. :-)

I saw Amazon crashing yesterday. Did you guys seriously have anything to do with that? I cannot tell if you are joking...

My username didn't change to jimp for my birthday, but I understand. Thanks, we're good!

user67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages user67

Talk about a Golden Parachute. Where is mine?

Congrates!

bpvwebdesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bpvwebdesigns

PLEASE ... PLEASE ... PLEASE ...

Lobby so that you can accept Amazon.com gift cards for woot transactions. I receive these as incentives from various web properties, and would love to use these here @ woot and on shirt.woot. My discretionary funds are really low at the moment, but I have a steady stock of Amazon GC's rolling in.

:-)

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

WOW. Do we keep our wonderful looking selves?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Wow, maybe Snapster will take a page or two out of Hsieh's book.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

Am I the only one a little scared by this? It just smells a little funky to me. I sense dramatic changes in the works (though I seriously hope I'm wrong).

There's so much overlap on the items Woot! and Amazon sell, they could almost be competing among themselves. Not to mention deals.woot is essentially a giant advertisment for good deals from other retailers (something I imagine Amazon wouldn't like too much). And forget products like the Nook from ever showing up here again, given the direct competition with the Kindle.

I'm sure there's more things I'm not thinking of. Woot uses so many unconventional sales tactics! I really, really hope Amazon takes a hands-off approach here. Praying this isn't the beginning of the end for the Woot we've come to know and love.

I'll remain optimistic but wary for now...

rothmaniac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rothmaniac

Congrats Woot! I hope you are all filthy rich now! (and willing to spread the love in the Bowl of Cereal)

adhurt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages adhurt

I'm a little scared right now...

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity..." Lazarus Long

rothmaniac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rothmaniac

Also, the Woot! avatar is creeping me out...

spicyflavor

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spicyflavor

I hope this doesn't change woot.

misrymonky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages misrymonky
rocketteem wrote:Hopefully you guys don't inherit the crappy customer service that Amazon provides

seriously... I am not excited about this, but have an open mind. . .

davidbowser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidbowser

HOLY CARP!

I'm sure we'll be seeing video blogs of Toon and the staffers at some ritzy "gentleman's" club offering to put refurbed Kindles in the dancers thongs. At least that's what I'm hoping to come out of this deal.

swnathan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swnathan

So - does the "access to Amazon technology" part mean no more server crashes?

terencejvogt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terencejvogt

Wait a minute.. Does this mean I will have to pay tax?

bmxjimp

quality posts: 38 Private Messages bmxjimp

The "We Got Acquired by Amazon" video was hilarious!

It also helps me feel better about it being "business as usual" for you guys. Keep up the great work.

My username didn't change to jimp for my birthday, but I understand. Thanks, we're good!

hak426

quality posts: 12 Private Messages hak426
jskotnik wrote:Congrats!

Does this mean that Wooters with Amazon Prime will get free shipping?

I was going to be clever and say this. Clearly great minds think alike. =]

serve

quality posts: 1 Private Messages serve

BOO!!!!

I hate Amazon - buncha commie bastards.

FWIW - I feel this is kinda like when the A-Team tv show jumped the shark and went to work for that over-acted character played by Robert Vaughn.

I don't care what Rutledge wrote in his memo - things are never the same when you get acquired. Think myspace. After the takeover - it became crap. I worked for NCR when AT&T bought them - they let it fall to the ground, dig a hole and bury itself. It still 19 years later hasn't recovered fully.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

widmer69

quality posts: 14 Private Messages widmer69

Grats Woot! Please don't change cause of "the man".

hooray beer!

ab4dd0n

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ab4dd0n

All I got out of this is that I now want a Woot! branded vuvuzela

Being in the same state as woot is pretty cool...until I have to pay sales tax

davidbowser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidbowser
novastarj wrote:There's so much overlap on the items Woot! and Amazon sell, they could almost be competing among themselves. Not to mention deals.woot is essentially a giant advertisment for good deals from other retailers (something I imagine Amazon wouldn't like too much). And forget products like the Nook from ever showing up here again, given the direct competition with the Kindle.

Amazon already competes against itself by allowing other retailers to sell via Amazon at lower prices. Take a look at some new DVD and BluRay titles, there is a link for 'New from $14.99' and 'Used for $11:99' prices that point to other retailers that use Amazon solely for payment processing. They still make bank on competitors cheaper stuff. Just hedging bets on their part.

corwyn74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corwyn74

Well, that's a bummer. Amazon is a horrible company, and after they tried to cheat me out of my money (and then refused to cooperate with my bank), I won't give them any more.

Goodbye, Woot. It was fun while it lasted.

Bowl of Cereal Score:
05/26/2010

hak426

quality posts: 12 Private Messages hak426
bmxjimp wrote:I saw Amazon crashing yesterday. Did you guys seriously have anything to do with that? I cannot tell if you are joking...

Is anybody at Woot! ever NOT joking?

bdecker202

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bdecker202

Congrats again!

badboypolar

quality posts: 12 Private Messages badboypolar

I'm NOT ready for this kind of commitment. I knew you were seeing other people, but come on!

hysonmb

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hysonmb

This could be a good thing... more servers to host the Bowl of Cereal!
Have them load balance the Woot Servers with the Amazon servers and see if we can take both sites down in a Woot-off.

zach0731

quality posts: 81 Private Messages zach0731

Staff

People have been retweeting the news about the deal, that twitter is having performance issues in their API. Pretty cool

nofaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nofaz

Hope this goes well, but I'm afraid that bigger is not always better....

specialops787

quality posts: 3 Private Messages specialops787
jskotnik wrote:Congrats!

Does this mean that Wooters with Amazon Prime will get free shipping?

THIS

paradisofamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paradisofamily

Congrats! How about a happy hour to celebrate?!?!?

jbwhite99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jbwhite99
Tom84 wrote:Surprising since you do so much work with Buy, does this mean you won't be shipping products for them and vice versa anymore?

I guess that means that Amazon Prime shipping will now be done by SmartPost, and cost $5 per shipment.

OK Woot, step it up - I've only bought 2 things in the last 13 months

zach0731

quality posts: 81 Private Messages zach0731

Staff

The only thing that makes this video better is a little Vuvuzela.

tmntman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmntman

Congrats! Though I must say that every time I have seen Amazon buy one of my favorite online sites/stores, they are never quite as good after that. But here's hoping that Woot can buck that trend.