pmarin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmarin
chris12345 wrote:Fitting, but what? No podcast?

Maybe you have to pay for the podcast?

MooseOfReason

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MooseOfReason

"Hang on while we sell out to the man."

Anyway, are there cosmetic defects?

recursional

quality posts: 1 Private Messages recursional

Please stay Wootish!

Ignore This Line

Tritonman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tritonman

Wow get bought out by Amazon and immediately start hocking the kindle's

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

I think the mystery word for tonight is NEW

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21
pmarin wrote:Maybe you have to pay for the podcast?

Matthew is probably already a casualty of the Assimilation.

zenobia13

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zenobia13

I LOVES my Kindle, for which I paid $250 last winter. But whoring for 'Mazon on Minute One of the acquisition is really grinding our faces in it. Shame shame. I will enshrine my WOOT monkeys because the future ones will be Amazonian Howlers.

kristacular

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kristacular

I have a nook and I love it. :o)

EdTerrific

quality posts: 16 Private Messages EdTerrific

Ohhhh....I'm worried. Big corporate has come to Woot. I'm afraid Herblock's law will come into play...

"If its good, they'll stop making it or screw it up."

ETerrific

JimRP

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JimRP

Later days Woot... Sleep well in your new bed.

Armagedon

quality posts: 106 Private Messages Armagedon

Here is the quick start guide!

Toynbert

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Toynbert
baroquon wrote:...tomorrow perhaps the DX? then of course the unveiling of book.woot

oooh, book.woot. or media.woot I like it.

Stupid should hurt.

MissJamieD

quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD

And so it begins.. o_O

*Dun Dun DUNNNNNNN*

(cue lightening and foreboding Vincent Price cackle)

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

if it only had a color screen..

msdrpepper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msdrpepper
fldeals wrote:Ha! We knew it! Amazon merchandise on day one!

Yea I thought that was uncanny too... but can any of you wooters verify that this is, indeed, the same one Amazon sells for $189.00 plus free shipping at http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015T963C/ref=sa_menu_kdp2i3 ??? the thing throwing me off is Amazon is proud to call out the 3G connectivity and Woot says nothing about it. I only touched my first Kindle machine this past Memorial day weekend, having no need for one with the Kindle app on my iPhone. But... alas, my brother with all the latest toys was there, with his lovely new bride and her Kindle, and my Mom touched the Kindle and fell in love with it...

So if it's the same thing (and not even a refurb, wow!), I'm thinking I'll get one...

Deafness - it's not a hobby. it's not a job. It's a lifestyle.

DrjinG

quality posts: 10 Private Messages DrjinG

Alas, poor Woot, we knew thee well...

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky

So...two days in a row of new stuff? What ?!?!

Azurett

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Azurett

If only I had the money..

Tiemannl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tiemannl

Called it!

hyuk hyuk hyuk, tacos rule!

malkav11

quality posts: 9 Private Messages malkav11

I got my Kindle roughly a year ago. It was $300 then. It has been worth every penny. Light, incredible battery life, incredible readability, like carrying hundreds of books in my pocket and a steady stream of free or very very cheap books to fill it with. Don't be fooled by LCD devices. This is the real thing.

PS: It is by no means the only viable e-ink reader, but it's one of the best and $150 puts it cheaper than most all the competition.

TazoWolf

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TazoWolf

I was lucky enough to be a beta tester for the Kindle I, and I still love my Kindle, 3 years later. Don't let people fool you about DRM and such. It can handle MOBI and txt formats too, and you can use either the $0.10 wireless or the free email based conversion service to convert most other formats, including pdf, doc, and others. I've converted hundreds of free books for my Kindle, and even some of my own personal documents... I've used my Kindle as a portable teleprompter for speeches. Like to read in the tub or at the beach? Just throw it into a waterproof bag (I use a Dry-Tek bag). The web browser can be a bit tedious, but if you're desperate, you can even check email with it (I did, when my computer crashed).

Also, TRUST ME, you don't need or want a back light... not unless you like your reading to give you headaches. There are plenty of book lights out there that can serve the same purpose, and they tend to be easier on the eyes.

"I'll Never Let My Schooling Interfere With My Education" -Mark Twain

"We Must Be the Change We Wish To See In The World" -Gandhi

jwheeler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwheeler

is this the DX model? and does it come with any preloaded books or service agreements?

Eight years of wooting and barely here.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

I would get this, but I dont read books. I listen to them. because reading books while your driving is dangerous.

fiberopticloser

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fiberopticloser

Would Woot begin selling merchadise it can't dump on Amazon?

Will we run out of crap for BOCs?

That's a nice tnettenba.

msdrpepper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msdrpepper
wager wrote:I am so, so tempted. That's $40 off Amazon.com.

Is that the same one? Amazon talks about it being on 3G and Woot doesn't, so wondered if that's the mumbojumbo behind the whispernet?

Deafness - it's not a hobby. it's not a job. It's a lifestyle.

alseen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alseen
msdrpepper wrote:the thing throwing me off is Amazon is proud to call out the 3G connectivity and Woot says nothing about it.

It's right in the description. Even has a link to the coverage map.

txvoodoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages txvoodoo
1tab wrote:This just in : Amazon admits defeat! The I-pad reduces kindle to woot fodder

I have both, and I still use my Kindle every day. Especially for reading at night, since this info came out: Trouble sleeping? Maybe it's your iPad (CNN):

"Unlike paper books or e-book readers like the Amazon Kindle, which does not emit its own light, the iPad's screen shines light directly into the reader's eyes from a relatively close distance.

That makes the iPad and laptops more likely to disrupt sleep patterns than, say, a television sitting across the bedroom or a lamp that illuminates a paper book, both of which shoot far less light straight into the eye, researchers said."

As a multimedia content-consuming device, the iPad is awesome - no question. But for book reading? Do *not* take away my Kindle!

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes
msdrpepper wrote:Yea I thought that was uncanny too... but can any of you wooters verify that this is, indeed, the same one Amazon sells for $189.00 plus free shipping at http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015T963C/ref=sa_menu_kdp2i3 ??? the thing throwing me off is Amazon is proud to call out the 3G connectivity and Woot says nothing about it. I only touched my first Kindle machine this past Memorial day weekend, having no need for one with the Kindle app on my iPhone. But... alas, my brother with all the latest toys was there, with his lovely new bride and her Kindle, and my Mom touched the Kindle and fell in love with it...

So if it's the same thing (and not even a refurb, wow!), I'm thinking I'll get one...

Maybe it's a special network that runs off of Woot's good vibrations. The real burning question is what's going to happen to sellout.woot brought to you by Yahoo and Carl's Jr. now that woot REALLY sold out.

It's all fun and games now.. but see how much you like it when there's a kindle 2 up for sale tomorrow.. and then Amazon gift cards the day after that.

/just kidding, Woot! You know I'm very happy for all of you and love you very much.

tdurden

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tdurden

Get Calibre (free, as in beer) to manage ebook collections. It can convert one format to another, including converting kindle-uncompatible formats to kindle-compatible formats.

Calibre is available for (ugh!) Windows, Mac, and Linux!

http://calibre-ebook.com/

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid

E-ink is a pretty terrible, low-quality, low-resolution display technology. There are people willing to live with its flaws for the advantages of the ebook format, but decide whether you really want to put up with all that blanking and flashing and redrawing at such low resolution on a screen with a few shades of gray.

tash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tash

Not bad, but research before you buy.

Nook (barnes and noble) has more free ebooks than the Kindle does.

not to mention free in-store wifi and 3g coverage

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

Wait, Amazon bought Woot? Holy The Strangers (2008) that's crazy. I thought you were joking.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-woot_01bus.ART0.State.Edition1.1aac26d.html

wootcompare

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootcompare

I can understand at least the larger economic and business basis for being purchased by and/or partnering with Amazon...

Use Amazon check-out :: There's "money in the bank."

Use Amazon for marketing

Use Amazon's size for shipping (Ooops - that's right, did I just hear a news story *just* this morning that Amazon is ticked at the USPS in its threat to stop providing Saturday USPS delivery)

Use Amazon's size for benefits for employees.

Use Amazon... errr.... There it goes down the drain... the fun and "personal touch". I hope we don't lose it!

fagone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fagone

Oh No you don't..My sister is an amazon and she don't look nothin like that.......Besides I can get all the kindlin I want for free, for free right outside in the forest. This must be some parallel universe....be they zombie or human
dont they own that big river in south america?

ViperEagle

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ViperEagle

Ugh I read three pages of comments and I'm already sick of the whining. Have fun with that one woot!

I've been on the fence about purchasing an e-reader for a while now, anyone got any good reason to go Kindle vs something else? (Specifically anything besides that this is a great deal from woot)

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
MissJamieD wrote:And so it begins.. o_O

*Dun Dun DUNNNNNNN*

(cue lightening and foreboding Vincent Price cackle)

LOLOL you beat me to it, and with more pizazz at that! Vincent Price FTW.

consumerloser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages consumerloser

RIP Woot.

It's a smart move on the parts of the directors/shareholders. No hating here.

BUT, woot as it was is finished. I'm not sure why it originally caught my attention, the funny write ups, the innovative items, good deals, geek appeal, anti-amazon/ebay style of trying to push everything down your throat at once.

At first I thought, maybe we'll get access to
new items (god knows we need some). Then I saw the kindle and wanted to puke. Could've at least reached out with a Bowl of Cereal on the first day...

later on woot, nice knowing ya'

Normscoffee

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Normscoffee
wager wrote:I do like Barnes & Noble's comparison:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/?cds2Pid=30197
It's mostly fair, though lists specific highlights and specifications, of course. But you're trading Sudoku and more open formats for Text-to-Speech.

Does anybody know if the Kindle will read whatever format Google Editions will be putting out? Will they do PDF?

It can IF you get it on using Calibre. It will natively support some of the .pdf documents that google has. It will NOT natively support any epubs that google has.

All in all, this is a really great deal, though.

concertFreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages concertFreak

From Sansas and Roombas to Kindles already? There better be a Roomba or a non-apple mp3 player soon.

The Amazoot era has begun.