+ Add a Comment

hollitrading29

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hollitrading29

Half the price at woot and then some.

Cost More

redspecial

quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial
Damaso wrote:What is with those NAILS?

They continue to grow after the hand model passed into the great woot off in the sky.

ekid2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ekid2k

Been looking for something to replace the external battery i lost for my iphone, perfect to play games on it all day.

nathanruby952

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanruby952
Firebolt215 wrote:Will this power my regular laptop? I don't see why it wouldn't if it can power a netbook, but they were strangely specific in naming the things you can use it with so now I'm concerned.

No this one is only made for netbooks. Will not charge laptops. I have tried with mine. You have to go get the bigger one.

Nathan Baker!

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

If this doesn't float your boat, here are some alternatives:

https://powertraveller.com/

http://www.batterygeek.net/pindex.asp

http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mypowerall.html

chin4me

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chin4me

Tempted to buy another so that I can return it as the first one I got (10 days ago) and then pocket the $10 difference.

turtlegir1

quality posts: 34 Private Messages turtlegir1

Is this the same as 3 weeks ago?

cheatochris13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cheatochris13

Will this work the htc evo and how much battery life does it add?

jasonpeek00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonpeek00

great i just bought that couple weeks ago on woots for alot more.. what the hell?

sdc100

quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

I have the XPal18000 and have been very happy with it. It does power up and charge everything I throw at it, including my HP 17" laptop and several PDAs. Thus far, I have not had to order any extra tips (because all the PDAs use USB for power), but please be aware that the "free" tips carry a hetfy s/h charge.

The 18000 was about twice the price of this on Woot and a little larger. But the capacity is a little more than twice this, and only something with 18000mAh of juice can power a 17" multimedia laptop for a significant amount of time.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

skidude6200

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skidude6200

I got one of these for christmas last year for recharging my ipod during canoe trips. For that it works great and gives me enough extra power to keep my ipod nano alive for a week.

Will it power a netbook? Not enough to make the extra weight in your bag worth it. If you're trying to get more juice then spend the money on an extra or higher capacity battery.

Tips for life from these guys is complete bull. If you can track down the website and get yourself set up, they still want 10 bucks in shipping for each tip you have. Luckily it comes with a female USB, so you're good to go on most MP3 players/phones as long as you dont mind carring that cord around as well.

I haven't kept track of my charges or anything but I've been using mine for the year (4 week-long canoe trips as well as a few long car trips) and can't complain.

Worth the price woot is asking... Wouldn't touch it at a retail store if it was my money just because the tips are a scam.

MichaelSF

quality posts: 92 Private Messages MichaelSF
showcaller wrote:It's really tempting but like someone else who already made the comment, I am concerned about whether or not it will work on a Mac Book Pro. It specifically says netbook and iPad but doesn't mention any of the Mac Books. Also, I got a very similar one of these for Chanukah and they didn't make a micro USB tip for my android phone. They do make the tip for the Droid Incredible but not the Droid Aris. It doesn't say in the description what phones it supports and because the one I got doesn't support my Android I wonder if this one does. I need it more for my laptop than my phone anyway.

I did not see the microUSB tip, but one of them looks like it, but doesn't the USB port on the device allow connection of any charging cord where the one end is a USB male plug?

My Samsung Galaxy S uses a microUSB tip and the other end is a USB A plug, the common one. I can simply connect that to the Energizer pack.

Also, I have about ten microUSB male tips with the other end a miniUSB female port. I use those to connect to all my chargers and plugs that use a miniUSB to connect.

That way I did not lose the use of all my miniUSB devices when I got new smartphones that use microUSB ports.

One way or another with all the tips this comes with or the USB A port, or available adapters, this will charge just about anything, I suspect.

By the way, the miniUSB to microUSB adapters cost me about $1 each on eBay.

bethmbg

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bethmbg

From the user manual:

Charging Devices
Important: Check for voltage compatibility with your device first.
1. Select correct cable to charge electronic device
(5V USB charging cable, 9-12V green cable, 16-20V blue cable)
2. Insert correct charging cable into the right port of XP8000.
3. Then choose the suitable tips for your digital device or plug the cable directly into device if it fits.
4. Then insert the end of charging cable with the proper tip into the charging port of your digital device.

DELL Laptop Users – IMPORTANT!
When using an XP8000 product you may experience this pop up box on your DELL laptop computer:
“The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 90W AC Adapter or higher for best system operation.”
The XP8000 Power pack will NOT damage your laptop. It will power your laptop, but may not charge the internal battery in your laptop without the right tip.

zeraphoto

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeraphoto

That dude's fingernails are creeping me out.

eluost61

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eluost61
Dazphotog wrote:What is the deal Woot. I also feel like I was ripped off. I bought it for $49.99 and now less than 4 weeks later it is $10.00 less.

Technology advances price goes down. Or they just suckered you in there.

turtlegir1

quality posts: 34 Private Messages turtlegir1
zeraphoto wrote:That dude's fingernails are creeping me out.

ditto!

rowanator

quality posts: 15 Private Messages rowanator
cheatochris13 wrote:Will this work the htc evo and how much battery life does it add?

This will work just fine with the Evo, and it will give you five full battery recharges with a little over a quarter charge to spare. Honestly, though, I'd recommend buying a Seido extended battery for it rather than this.

sdc100

chupamiubre wrote:Really woot 10 days ago it was $20 more. Seriously guys I got owned by woot!. I could understand if it was a woot off but not even 2 weeks after i get mine you have a $20 price drop.

Yeah, at least yours was just a matter of price. I bought a 17" multimedia laptop from Woot only to find that they sold the identical laptop a month later for the same price -- but with a faster CPU! Money could be recouped... but the slower CPU is forever.

kaze

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kaze

Can anyone that bought one last time, confirm that this will charge the Ipad (more than trickle charge)?

kschang

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kschang
Firebolt215 wrote:Will this power my regular laptop? I don't see why it wouldn't if it can power a netbook, but they were strangely specific in naming the things you can use it with so now I'm concerned.

For maybe 25 minutes, if you're lucky.

8000 mAh @ 5V = 40000 mWh, or 40 W-hours

My laptop, a Pentium dual core Sony VAIO, consumes 18-21 W in "optimized" setting. Add a little margin, call it 20-25 minutes.

chin4me

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chin4me

This will be great for my USB powered "wrist massager" when I have my all night pitch-black Marco-Polo parties during swing club meetings.

Thumbo

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Thumbo
KGary231 wrote:Well there should be an easy way to switch between high performance and battery saving quite easily. I know all asus netbooks have their own software that does this which you can also control manually. However I agree that something like this will not give you a full battery charge and may not be the best option if you need a lot of computer time without an outlet. If you are using a netbook it should be cheap to buy a 2nd OEM battery anyway.

Yes, did all that. I eventually went for a 6-cell replacement battery pack, which gives me 6 hours, with about 2 hours in reserve from the original pack.

I don't know why this didn't do better. It's specced at 5 v, 8000 mAh, which comes to 40 Wh. Allow for 75% efficiency and that's 30 Wh. My netbook consumes anything from 8 W idle up to 12 W when busy; call it 10 W average. 30 Wh available with a 10 W load matches the 3 hour claim.

What I actually saw was about half an hour of the netbook running with the battery simultaneously being charged, until the pack was depleted, after which the netbook ran for about another half hour until its battery was back to where it was before connecting the pack.

MichaelSF

notaguru wrote:This won't drive a conventional laptop with a dead battery. Max at 19V is only 2A, which is 38W. I have several laptops, and even my ultra low power Toshiba is a 45W system.

That doesn't make it "bad" because at 2A it can recharge the battery in the laptop. The battery in one of my laptops is 4.4Ah (4400mAh), so ...

I guess that's why they say it charges netbooks, not notebooks.

sdc100

chin4me wrote:Tempted to buy another so that I can return it as the first one I got (10 days ago) and then pocket the $10 difference.

Assuming that your original purchase was from Woot...
Er, you paid $5 in s/h (which is non-refundable) on the original Woot 10 days ago. And you'll pay $5 again to get this shipped to you. That already cancels the $10 you hope to pocket. But then you have to add the cost of sending back the one you got 10 days ago, and you'll end up losing money.

A better bet is to hope that your credit card has price protection and make them refund the difference.

eluost61

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eluost61
CaptainWes wrote:Will it power a stun gun? How about my margarita blender?

Why not? http://king-eye.en.made-in-china.com/product/zecxnmPFaMhi/China-Personal-Safety-Taser-Stun-Gun-KI-TW109-.html
Specification of stun gun:
Source Voltage: 6V
Shock Voltage: 1200KV
Current consumption: No more then 1.9A while shocking / No more then 0.8A while lighting
Built-in rechargeable battery and fleshlight
Environmental temperature: -5F~113F
Dimension: 24x46x120mm

Attention Please:
1. The Stun Gun should be re-charge at least once a month to prolong it's useful time.
2. Please turn on the light (lamp) to outlet all the power before recharging it.
3. Charging time DO NOT longer then 3-5 hours, please DO NOT use it when it's charging.
4. Please keep the Stun Gun in an appropriate place, which should be dry, normal temperature, and chrildren unreachable.
5. Forbidden to use it to shock chrildren, pets, or any people who has any kinds of heart disease.

MichaelSF

Make sure to click the link that says we get tips for life, it's a guarantee. If it does not come with the one you need, you write Energizer and ask for one (up to two per year).

To get that make sure you register the device.

Can't beat that.

http://www.xpalpower.com/us/modules/freetips/

sdc100

It depends on how much power your laptop draws. I have this thing's bigger brother, the XPAL18000, and it outputs 3500mA at 19V. That can certainly run as well as charge most laptops.

Many newer laptops use LED backlighting (as opposed to fluorescent tubes). That and underclocking your CPU may allow it to run off this model.

rspence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rspence

Does that chick have Man Hands or does that dude have have a thing for French Nails?
Either way, kinda creepy.

cheroke55

quality posts: 37 Private Messages cheroke55
zeraphoto wrote:That dude's fingernails are creeping me out.

I don't see any calluses either now that you mention it. If you ever wondered what it takes to be a male hand model. I wonder if his significant other feels when he says "Careful of the hands!"

sdc100

jasonpeek00 wrote:great i just bought that couple weeks ago on woots for alot more.. what the hell?

Time to see if your credit card has Price Protection. If yes, apply to get the difference back.

Phalchion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phalchion

For anyone that already has one: is it durable enough for a soldier in the field to charge an .mp3 player, camera, etc.?

sdc100

cheroke55 wrote:I don't see any calluses either now that you mention it. If you ever wondered what it takes to be a male hand model. I wonder if his significant other feels when he says "Careful of the hands!"

I think I see a few warts and hairs though... Hmmmm, maybe that's why s/he needs the extra battery power...?

DrChops

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DrChops

"Disembodied hand not included."

Petey Thaseatesmyne

mjacknis

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mjacknis

The last time this was on, I went through a
whole big long calculation on power capacity,
then I realized it was completely wrong because we don't know the internal voltage of the battery they are using.

Woot now says it is "8000mAh at 5V" but I can't find anywhere in the manual that the 5V is actually specified.

Even if the 5V is correct, as I said last time, you have to reduce the power based on the internal conversions to the output voltages.

Anyhow, I find it doubtful that it is 5V for three reasons:

1. There is no battery technology that is exactly 5V. Lithium rechargeable is based on on multiples of 3.6 volts.

2. The current output is specified for only 1 amp at 5 volts but for 2 amps at 12 or 19 volts. If 5 volts had been the internal voltage, then there would be no need for an agressive internal converter, which would be inconsistent with the reduced 5V power output as specified.

3. From the manual, here are the specs; it does NOT say the 8AH is "@ 5V"... Woot added that part in:

-Battery type: Lithium polymer
-Rated input: DC19V
-Rated output: USB 5V--1000mA
DC 12V--2000mA
DC 19V--2000mA
-Battery capacity: 8000 mAh
-Recharging time: ~4 hours
-Operating temperature: 32°F-113°F
-Size: 4.3(L)*2.9(W)*0.9(H) inches
-Weight: 7.9 oz
-Size: 112(L)*75(W)*23(H) mm
-Weight: 225 g

NightGhost wrote:Product Website

manual

mjacknis wrote:

a whole big long calculation on power capacity,

sdc100

Phalchion wrote:For anyone that already has one: is it durable enough for a soldier in the field to charge an .mp3 player, camera, etc.?

Based purely on its bigger bro, the XPAL18000, I'd say yes. There are no moving or loose parts besides the cords. The device is essentially a large battery with one pushbutton switch, some LEDs and some jacks. Dropping it shouldn't cause any real damage. I don't know if it conforms to your environment though, i.e. heat, humidity, etc.

If there is a lot of sun, you might consider a solar charger.

FreeskierInVT

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreeskierInVT

just ordered a replacement tip for my iPhone. Shipping is only $3.95 for either 1 or 2 tips, not $12.95.

You have to register your product with them before you order.

My Woots:
31 from woot.com
6 from shirt.woot
3 from sellout.woot
1 from wine.woot
3 B O C's- 12/25/11, 4/1/10 and... my first B O C- 11/19/09 (with a letter from woot!)

mjacknis

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mjacknis

The manual cautions you not to drop it, to charge it at least once every 3 months, and to keep it above freezing and below 113 degrees F:

Safety Precautions
Please read the following carefully before using the Product. Incorrect
use or incompatibility with your device may result in reduced battery
performance or damage to your device.
-Check device voltage for compatibility with this product.
-Do not attempt to disassemble product.
-Store and operate between 32°F-113°F.
-Do not allow this product to have contact with liquids.
-Do not place this product near a heat source or flame or it may explode.
-Do not throw or shake the power pack.
-Do not operate the power pack if it has been subjected to shock or damage.
-Do not crush or puncture the battery.
-Recharge the power pack every 3 months when not in use. Use soft cloth to
clean the exterior. Do not use harsh chemicals or strong cleaning solvents.

sdc100 wrote:Based purely on its bigger bro, the XPAL18000, I'd say yes. There are no moving or loose parts besides the cords. The device is essentially a large battery with one pushbutton switch, some LEDs and some jacks. Dropping it shouldn't cause any real damage. I don't know if it conforms to your environment though, i.e. heat, humidity, etc.

If there is a lot of sun, you might consider a solar charger.

Used2flyn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Used2flyn
kaze wrote:Can anyone that bought one last time, confirm that this will charge the Ipad (more than trickle charge)?

The Energizer XP8000 will charge the iPad but it takes a couple of hours. If you need to use the iPad right away it works well if you connect the Energizer XP8000 to the iPad (the proper tip and connector come with the unit - you use your iPad USB cable) and use the iPad as it is plugged into the unit.

Kikuichimoji

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Kikuichimoji

For all you guys comparing the mAh of this battery pack to the batteries in your laptops, please keep in mind that this is rated 8000 mAh AT FIVE VOLTS. 8000mAh @ 5V = 40Wh of power.

Your laptop batteries, while only 4800mAh, are rated at 12 or even 19 volts. 4800mAh @ 19V is 91.2Wh, which is quite a bit more juice than 40wH.

Sooo, don't go thinking this will be a good replacement. You could certainly give a netbook a bit of extra juice with this pack, but I wouldn't try running it on high brightness or anything. Maybe charging the netbook/laptop while the power is off (voltage is correct, just not enough amperage to power an active full-size laptop).

Not trying to step on any toes. Just givin some free edumaction.