WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

This week marks a big change for the Woot Podcast: We’re going to video!

That’s right, starting today, the Woot Podcast transmogrifies into a once-weekly moving picture presentation you can watch every Monday from the comfort of your own home, cubicle, university library, or anywhere the Internet is found!

This week’s episode features Mortimer & Monte, but future installments may include more “Real Actual Field Tests,” video versions of “Happy Snacking!” recipes, and occasionally even an on-screen appearance by a member of the Podcast Team. (That’ll be a courageous achievement, considering they’re all significantly handicapped in the looks department.)

We didn’t make this change capriciously. Shoot, for almost five years we’ve produced an audio-only podcast, convinced online video was a passing fad. Then we saw that Keyboard Cat, though, and the writing was on the wall. It said “Intrenet vidz r here 2 stay LOLOL!!!!!”

We’re excited to explore the possibilities of another medium, and we hope you’ll enjoy the Woot Podcast 2.0 every bit as much as you did the original, audio-only version. Unless you hated the original, audio-only podcast with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns, in which case we hope you’ll enjoy this version slightly better.

We understand change can be painful, so here’s a coping strategy for those seven or eight of you who were sentimentally attached to the way the Woot Podcast used to be: Simply close your eyes during the video and it’ll seem exactly like the old audio version.

wootfast

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootfast

Staff

yay video! i'm excited.

Magiciandude

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Magiciandude

I was going to complain until you so graciously included the easy to follow instructions to get the audio only podcasts back. I am satisfied!

sachmet

quality posts: 8 Private Messages sachmet

Did the audio podcast get fired because of the coupon code debacle?

rkenimer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rkenimer

I don't mind the video, but it is hosted on YouTube which is blocked. Could you host it yourselves like the audio always was?

Apparently it's fashionable to have a signature.

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

So how are you going to the listener mailbag? Have a random wootstaffer act as the person calling in?

tehpwnerer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tehpwnerer
sachmet wrote:Did the audio podcast get fired because of the coupon code debacle?

After AVOCADOBUTTgate, I don't know if I can bring myself to shop here anymore.

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21
sgoman5674 wrote:So how are you going to the listener mailbag? Have a random wootstaffer act as the person calling in?

could we skype? or better yet... could you fly us in to do an In-Person Listener's Mailbag?

gregorsamsa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregorsamsa

Moving to Seattle, oh no - does that mean we Washingtonians will start getting taxed on our woots?

caffeine_dude

quality posts: 13 Private Messages caffeine_dude

Holly buffering internets Batman!

Please don't delete this post, I am trying, honest!

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
sgoman5674 wrote:So how are you going to the listener mailbag?

It may be moot, as no one has called the Mailbag hotline in almost two months. Ring us up and find out!

badbarky

quality posts: 3 Private Messages badbarky
gregorsamsa wrote:Moving to Seattle, oh no - does that mean we Washingtonians will start getting taxed on our woots?

We already are companero. Someone has to pay for the South Park Bridge.

brianary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianary

Will I still be able to download the podcast episodes in under a minute and listen to them offline as I drive to work?

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674
matthew wrote:It may be moot, as no one has called the Mailbag hotline in almost two months. Ring us up and find out!

What was the number again? (972) 417-3959?

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
brianary wrote:Will I still be able to download the podcast episodes in under a minute and listen to them offline as I drive to work?

Probably not!

sgoman5674 wrote:What was the number again?

(415) 944-8383

You were close! Sort of. You had the number of digits right.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
brianary wrote:Will I still be able to download the podcast episodes in under a minute and listen to them offline as I drive to work?

Sure, just use something like:
YouTube Downloader

I think you can convert directly to MP3 with that program... If not, try this.

werdwerdus

quality posts: 14 Private Messages werdwerdus

you can try out http://www.video2mp3.net/

ruadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruadog

That stinks. I will say the recent songs have not been up to the quality they were a few years ago, but every now and then there is a gem.

I'll really miss the Bluetooth the Pirate song next month, but hopefully (fingers crossed) he'll make a video appearance... (hint, hint)

Kanye_West

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kanye_West

Reeeemiiiiix. I see you guys stealing my idea for droppin jams once a week. aight aight.

zbeeblebrox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zbeeblebrox

No kidding!

I love my iPod precisely because I can use it to download lots of various podcasts and then play them over my car's FM radio as I drive to and from work.

Video is overrated: I can't play it on my iPod Nano while driving....

meow57

quality posts: 3 Private Messages meow57
zbeeblebrox wrote:No kidding!

I love my iPod precisely because I can use it to download lots of various podcasts and then play them over my car's FM radio as I drive to and from work.

Video is overrated: I can't play it on my iPod Nano while driving....

Yes you can! Just don't WATCH the damn thing....use your ears!

adavidw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adavidw

Booooooooo

Boooooooooooooo

This is terrible news, and the harshing my mellow-brained suggestion to "just close your eyes" to get an audio podcast doesn't work for the following reaons:

1. The video podcasts aren't going to magically find their way into iTunes and into my iPhone when I sync it.

2. Weekly is not the same as every weekday.

Again, I say: Booooooo

-Aaron

ertolsma

quality posts: 13 Private Messages ertolsma

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

boo

kevins87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevins87

I am definitely digging the idea of a weekly video podcast. Especially for the Mortimer and Monty series, happy snacking, and the idea of the on screen appearances by the podcast team so kudos to the team on those.

But are you seriously intending to use the real actual field tests for the entire week or just as a supplement video for the day the actual product is for sale as you have previously done?

danib62

quality posts: 11 Private Messages danib62

I really miss the daily audio podcast. How about in order to ease the sting just a little you guys put this newfangled video podcast on itunes so I can have it automatically download each week for posterity?