markcrim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markcrim

Is that just for the earphones, or do you get the paperweight too?

HEY-OHHHH!!!!!

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

Wntrgarnet

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Wntrgarnet
supraspeed wrote:This may be a downside for some, but the headphone jack is on the bottom. Most mp3 players have it along the top, I believe.

Yes, But once you see the inside and factor how ridiculously thin it is. It has to be on the bottom since the screen is on that top edge. The player itself is not much thicker than a Mini-stereo jack (common headphone plug)

Woot-off Lights & Screaming Monkey
Sandisk Clip 1GB MP3 Player
Samsung Bluetooth Headset
USB Stuff<--:D So much fun!!!!
Ion Audio Portable USB Turntable

zzzaap

quality posts: 51 Private Messages zzzaap

Here's a Zune screen protector from Amazon I just posted up on deals.woot .

Remember kids, always use protection!

truedivinity07

quality posts: 2 Private Messages truedivinity07

Since '07, I've had my faithful Zune 4GB. It still works perfectly, while I've watched my friends replace ipod after flimsy ipod.

These things are durable and amazing, although I will say the Zune software is a bit hard to get used to.

$70 is barely a deal though. Woot I want a 64GB Zune HD! Make it happen!

Wntrgarnet

markcrim wrote:Is that just for the earphones, or do you get the paperweight too?

HEY-OHHHH!!!!!

I Downloaded an app for android that makes my phone into a paperweight.It'samazing.

upsidehound

quality posts: 5 Private Messages upsidehound
mrbeenie wrote:Kinda fail considering theres an 8g for 99.99 on sellout

Actually 89.99 if you click on it.

terminatorgir

quality posts: 9 Private Messages terminatorgir

I agree that Zune trumps iPod, I owned both and was INFINITELY more happy with the Zune software and the Zune Pass which gives you unlimited music downloads(granted its a somewhat limited selection, but i still found 90% of what I wanted music-wise) and you get to keep 10 songs every month. Essentially you pay five bucks for unlimited rentals that never expire as long as you pay the 15$ monthly Zune Pass subscription. As far as actual hardware goes, Zune beats iPod barely, the only problem I have with iPod is that it won't play any video but .mov and .mp4, Zune plays .avi which is a necessity nowadays if you don't wanna convert every video you download. Also my iPod randomly skips to the next song on about 10 songs out of my 5500 on my iPod classic 5th gen.

Long story short, I got an 8gb version for 60 bucks from a pawn shop, I don't think this is worth it, its not great for watching video with such a small screen, such limited storage. I just can't see the justification of spending so much on it when you can get sansa's for music and much cheaper

jobezark

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jobezark

The color of victory is split-pea-soup green? I guess I'll just have to learn to embrace my failures then.

www.jobezark.com

markd241d1680

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markd241d1680

At that price buy it on amazon for same price and free shipping -

justin42

quality posts: 14 Private Messages justin42

Seems a bit high for what it is, but I love my Zunes. I have the 80gb from Woot (Although it's not showing up in my purchase history right now?) and a 32gb Zune HD. I dunno about anyone else, but I bought my Zunes to be media players, not play games or fart noises. And on that, the Zunes are great. The UI is very good (the 80gb UI looks a bit dated, the HD is super sleek, but both are very functional), sound quality is excellent (and seriously, if you're buying a music player, shouldn't it sound as good as possible?), and they're definitely nice players overall.

The Zune software is nice, but seems a bit quirky occasionally. I wish MS would try to squash some of the last little bugs in it. Nothing horrible, though.

I'm not quite sure why it got a bad rep, besides MS' hideous choice of colors. I'd wager 99% of people slamming it here have never even seen one, much less used one.

rick50651

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rick50651

I don't know if things have changed, but as of last year, the Zune would not work unless you installed the windows OS.

mymorningsong

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mymorningsong

Love my Zunes, but this is not the one to buy. The Zune software is much better than iTunes, but this will soon be selling for half of this cost once Windows Phone comes out with the same fucntionality at more capacity. If you have a big music collection, get the Zune 80/120. The Zune HD makes little sense to me at their price points. Squircle for the win.

reactorfuel

quality posts: 8 Private Messages reactorfuel
Cusuldor wrote:The Zune, otterific player too bad the software that comes with it does not agree...

Have you used it recently? The original Zune software was junk, but the new versions are actually really nice.

The feature that makes it incredible, though, is Zune DJ. At first glance, this is just another name for iTunes' Genius feature, and it works OK but not shockingly well. However, there's a wrinkle: the Zune software has the Zune Pass, which is an all-you-can-download subscription service. Zune DJ is integrated into it. If you hit "Smart DJ Playlist" on an album or song, it'll throw something together with about half music from your library, and half music that you don't have, but which goes together with it pretty well. Think "Pandora, but you get to choose which songs you hear," and you've got something close to it.

Also, the software's UI has done the ugly duckling thing: these days, it looks pretty fantastic. Ironically, Microsoft's music software interface is better than Apple's right now. In fact, while the iTouch and iPhone are better portable devices, I'd say that the selling point for the Zune right now is the software.

beaniebobo

quality posts: 9 Private Messages beaniebobo

Is this Compatible with Windows 7-64 bit?

• 5/15 - woot! Off USB Lights w/Screaming Monkey
  • Vreeland.co

distantg

quality posts: 4 Private Messages distantg
beaniebobo wrote:Is this Compatible with Windows 7-64 bit?

Yes

DownloadJunkie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DownloadJunkie
pmcizhere wrote:I've got the Zune HD 32 GB, laser-inscribed on my 21st birthday this past January. Regardless, these devices grant you access to the Zune Marketplace (well okay the $14.99 a month does), and that is the real killer app. You get unlimited (DRM-protected) downloads all the time, and 10 credits to use to download DRM-free songs each month.

And remember, you can connect up to 3 Zunes per Pass. That's 3X the music and we share the freebies around here. I have a Zune HD 16, 5 Sansas, and wooted for an iPod Touch. The iPod is like listening to music thru a Kazoo after having a Zune. This is truly the Music Discovery device. My Zune HD is the one device I would truly hate to lose.

Wntrgarnet

Can't be too sure on that one but chances are leaning towards yes..

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

While I don't have this model (I went larger capacity), Zune is definitely compatible with Windows 7, Vista, and XP 64-bit.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

thejudge2001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thejudge2001
izcenine wrote:$17.5 a Gig for this zune
$300 iPod touch is $9.38 a gig (32 gig)
seems m$ strikes again

Just so everyone understands: The more storage is on a device the CHEAPER it is going to be per GB - always (unless it's BRAND NEW ;-) )... so saying "a 32 GB device is cheaper/GB than a 4GB device", or saying that "the 8GB is a WAY better deal at $99" is like telling me the sky is blue.

tommy2rs

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tommy2rs

hmmm, no FLAC, no SDHC micro, no rockbox. Why bother?

There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -- Randal Graves, "Clerks"

schlafly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlafly

I love my Sansa. This Zune has fewer features and costs more money. Okay, my Sansa does not have wifi sync. Is that the big advantage? Do I have to run some horrible Msft program to do the sync?

upsidehound

quality posts: 5 Private Messages upsidehound
thejudge2001 wrote:Just so everyone understands: The more storage is on a device the CHEAPER it is going to be per GB - always (unless it's BRAND NEW ;-) )... so saying "a 32 GB device is cheaper/GB than a 4GB device", or saying that "the 8GB is a WAY better deal at $99" is like telling me the sky is blue.

It's actually 89, so kind of a bright blue...

DownloadJunkie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DownloadJunkie
Walruski wrote:I was one of the unfortunate 1% who bought into the Zune HD. I actually believed Microsponge would support their own product. But a year later with still no app store to speak of

Should have done your homework on this one. It was not designed to be an app machine but a music discovery device....which is exactly why I prefer it over the iPod. It's all in what you are expecting from the device.

BanhiDancer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages BanhiDancer

I must be in the minority here, but I really don't like my Zune. I have an old, fat 30GB but I use my 8GB Sansa wayyy more.

For one, I truly despise the Zune software that I'm *forced* to use. If I can't just drag music over in an explorer window when I'm in a rush, I'll pass.

Secondly, why-oh-why can't I just use my MICROSOFT Windows Media Player to Sync my MICROSOFT ZUNE?? Seriously, I have my media player all set up and perfect but I can't sync my Zune which is marketed by the same darn people? Perhaps there's a workaround that I'm missing there, but it was just too much hassle and now I have a 30GB Zune, unloved, needing a good home. (I'm thinking eBay)

L4m3r

quality posts: 11 Private Messages L4m3r

Zunes rock, at least as music players. I'm not into low-capacity flash-based ones so much, but my Zune 80 has been dropped plenty of times and keeps on going. Bought it refurb'd from Woot to replace an awful Creative player.

My sister has had a Zune 30 for a few years now, and has not managed to destroy it. Knowing my sister, that makes the Zune's durability almost legendary in my book.

Zune software is kinda crappy in my opinion, but I don't need to deal with it often. It may be a problem for someone who's constantly swapping music out of their small player.

nicktherat wrote:id only want a touch screen or more storage, not small storage and no touch. no sale for me!

What is the point of a touch screen exactly, aside from showing off? regular solid-state touch controls are far more efficient to use. Heck, even mechanical controls can be better than touchscreens when designed right.

You don't want this device because you probably want a different product (something that runs apps, I'm guessing). Your post is sort of like saying that you won't buy the banana because you want an apple.

izcenine wrote:$17.5 a Gig for this zune

$300 iPod touch is $9.38 a gig (32 gig)

seems m$ strikes again

Your point? Not everyone has $300 on hand to spend on a toy that's likely to break in a week.

Price per GB makes sense when comparing hard drives... music players, not so much. There's a lot more involved in the cost than just the flash chip that's soldered in there.

Walruski wrote:I was one of the unfortunate 1% who bought into the Zune HD. I actually believed Microsponge would support their own product. But a year later with still no app store to speak of and the new Ipod being released I have finally given up hope and ordered the new Ipod. Make no mistake the hardware is fine and in some ways superior but the lack of available apps, the quirky marketplace, and the inability to share my library on my x-box 360 even thought it is supposed to are just too frustrating to deal with.

I can't say I'm that surprised. Zune HD was really late to market, and I don't think any store ever would have gained enough traction to become popular. Zune HD emerged as the concept was growing obsolete, anyway- even the iPod touch is fast becoming a niche device (for kids and people who can't buy mobile data plans) as all of that functionality moves to smartphones. Modern smartphones can do pretty much everything that the "mobile computing platforms" (or whatever they call them now) can do, and just as well.

The rest of the Zune family is great, though. The players are good for what they are- straight-up media players. Unlike novelties like Zune HD and iPod touch, "regular" mp3 players will stay around because they generally are better for the actual music than phones are- either by capacity, or by durability/portability/battery life.

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES.

zentide

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zentide

Went through 3 i-pods then got a Zune and it's already outlasted them all combined.

Zune sync software on the PC is a bit clunky but then it's not nearly as invasive and demanding as i-tunes. Found that it did everything better, vid/audio/radio/pics.
Hard to find "Zune stuff" though.

As long as your life doesn't revolve around peripherials for it, this trumps the i-pods hands down.

I have seen a lot of things,..but I have NOT seen a lot of other things.

loslos68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loslos68

I also am a zune owner, I have the 8gb and 32gb HD.

I am not a apple fanboy, but neither do I bash everything apple makes. I owned two different iPods, both which were ok.

When Microsoft released the market place pass (the subscription service everyone is ranting about), I went and bought my first zune. After I saw the ups and downs of both devices I actually enjoy my zune much much more. The music sounds better despite being slighty lower quality than what iTunes offers. The build quality on the zunes are far superior as well. I purchased both zunes on their initial debut day, so I have had them problem free for a while and they are constantly being used by me or my girlfriend.

What these owners are saying about the zune is true, it has it's flaws, heck what doesn't. But the good make the bad forgivable and forgettable.

I am posting this from my iPad, just so you see that I am not biased to any manufacturer.

If you want a good music player, and don't have a huge collection of music that belongs to you, then the zune is for you.

Sorry for the long post, but I hate when people say X company sucks and everything they make does. Sometimes if you are openminded you will find the jewel they have to offer.

marziah

quality posts: 17 Private Messages marziah

Can I usel Skype, edit video, and play my autotuning Glee app on it?

Yes, I've become spoiled and demanding from my media players. Also, 4 gigs is really not enough space if you've digitized your CD collection.

ErinJade

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ErinJade

Completely going away from which is better in terms of being a music player or whatever else... Microsoft picks some of the ugliest colors for Zunes. I honestly don't understand why they would even make that awful greenish-gold color.

chorpie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chorpie
marziah wrote:Can I usel Skype, edit video, and play my autotuning Glee app on it?

Yes, I've become spoiled and demanding from my media players. Also, 4 gigs is really not enough space if you've digitized your CD collection.

you're missing the point of a device that was meant to show pictures, videos, and play music.

and i guarantee that you cannot listen to all 4GB of music in a day.

BanhiDancer

loslos68 wrote:(...snip...)Sorry for the long post, but I hate when people say X company sucks and everything they make does. Sometimes if you are openminded you will find the jewel they have to offer.

I was completely excited when MS came out with these, I was practically 1st in line. But to not make it available to sync with Windows Media Player is completely unforgivable in my opinion.

I held on to my Zune for literally YEARS, giving the benefit of the doubt that they would make it work with WMP (it's so obvious!)...but alas, they still have not. And unfortunately I find the Zune software intrusive, annoying, and practically unusable (again, just my own opinion).

dampy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dampy

Are they all out of amber?

ErinJade

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ErinJade
chorpie wrote:and i guarantee that you cannot listen to all 4GB of music in a day.

If it were FLAC compatible, you could. But seriously, who cares if you can't listen to it all in a day? I can't possibly listen to all of my music in a day, but that doesn't mean I don't want it in my pocket so I can listen to whatever I feel like hearing at that moment.

I hated having to pick and choose songs/albums when my music player was unable to fit them all, because it always seemed like the one song I wanted to hear when I was out and about was not on the dang thing.

loslos68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loslos68
BanhiDancer wrote:I was completely excited when MS came out with these, I was practically 1st in line. But to not make it available to sync with Windows Media Player is completely unforgivable in my opinion.

I held on to my Zune for literally YEARS, giving the benefit of the doubt that they would make it work with WMP (it's so obvious!)...but alas, they still have not. And unfortunately I find the Zune software intrusive, annoying, and practically unusable (again, just my own opinion).

I wasn't referring to you. I also wish they could implement the two together, but that will never happen because of other OS not supporting WMP, nor will they ever. Flip side of the coin, look how many versions of WMP came out before people even considered using it. I know I used to be a winamp user.

MS won't give up the battle for a handheld media device anytime soon, they have a great concept for their market place, just needs to be polished some more. Which unfortunately only time will cure, you may move on and use other players, but you will always be hopeful of the brand zune. I know I will always.

snoidpdx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snoidpdx

The Zune is underrated.

I have an Ipod Touch and 2 Zunes. I don't use the Ipod much.

The Zune software is easy to use, and Zunepass is incredible. $14.99 a month gives you 10 DRM free downloads every month you can use as you see fit. That may not sound so great, but you also get unlimited music downloads from a huge collection of music you can load on your Zune as long as you have an active Zunepass account.

If I didn't already have two Zunes I'd definitely be in for one at this price.

srlagarto

quality posts: 11 Private Messages srlagarto
midnight0000 wrote:I own 2 different Zune models, and let me just say, they're way sturdier and longer lasting than any Apple product. These things are like bricks, which I've dropped several times and continue to work just fine. The interface and software is way better as well.

I have an original first generation Zune. I had dropped it many times, and it kept working, even though that model has a hard drive in it. Then, my son dropped it off the counter. I could hear the poor hard drive clicking away, trying to spin up.

So, I bought a new drive off eBay for $30. It was easy to replace, and I wound up going from 30 to 60 GB. So, even after being dropped and dropped and dropped, the only thing that died was the hard drive, which was spinning when it fell, so it's not surprising.

The best part about the replacement drive was the fact that it's an iPod drive and has an Apple logo on it. I was half expecting the universe to implode when I mixed Apple and Microsoft, but nothing happened.

srlagarto

quality posts: 11 Private Messages srlagarto
snoidpdx wrote:The Zune software is easy to use, and Zunepass is incredible. $14.99 a month gives you 10 DRM free downloads every month you can use as you see fit. That may not sound so great, but you also get unlimited music downloads from a huge collection of music you can load on your Zune as long as you have an active Zunepass account.

What I like about Zune Pass is that I can connect to the marketplace over wifi, browse the catalog, and add songs to my Zune. So, anywhere I can reach an open wifi network, I can get music.

infallible

quality posts: 7 Private Messages infallible

I'm still using my 30 GB which I purchased refurb from Woot over three years ago. It's great. Not perfect, but I can confirm that it does take a lickin'. I've dropped it several times, including a couple times on hard concrete, and it still plays great. Not to mention that it's often left in the car all day in Texas summers with no harm to the screen or anything else.

I'd kinda like it to get busted so I'd have an excuse to get a Zune HD (which looks megatight), but it keeps on going.

I really don't understand why it's not more popular than it is, because it's a work horse.

EDIT: Oh, and regarding the software. I like it a lot. I'd much prefer to use the Zune software over a drag and drop via WMP, and I VASTLY prefer it to iTunes.

19 www.Woots / 1 tech.Woot / 1 wine.Woots / 13 shirt.Woots / 6 sellout.Woots

BanhiDancer

loslos68 wrote:I wasn't referring to you. I also wish they could implement the two together, but that will never happen because of other OS not supporting WMP, nor will they ever. Flip side of the coin, look how many versions of WMP came out before people even considered using it. I know I used to be a winamp user.

MS won't give up the battle for a handheld media device anytime soon, they have a great concept for their market place, just needs to be polished some more. Which unfortunately only time will cure, you may move on and use other players, but you will always be hopeful of the brand zune. I know I will always.

Too true! I was all winamp for a long time.

But I'm not suggesting they move solely to WMP, only that they allow Zune to sync with it. I gave away my Sony media player within a week of getting it when I found out I HAD to use their software to sync (this was years ago).

Completely proprietary electronics turn me off immediately. I don't use iPod for that reason, and if I can't even have a little bit of user control (*especially* from a MS product), then no thanks.

I will state here for the record, that the software is my *only* complaint; but it's big enough for me to be done with Zune until they give me more control of my own sync'ing. My Zune is durable, sounds great, and any other problems I've ever had seemed to disappear with device updates... If you don't mind being told you HAVE to use their (horrid) software, then the Zune is a GREAT little monster!