ActorTom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ActorTom

(201) The Classics: Tricking kids to read

I got the idea for this week's Dodgeball when watching "Work of Art: The Next Great Artist" on TV. "Work of Art" is an elimination style reality show featuring weekly competitions between aspiring artists. In the inspiration episode, the contestants were each assigned a specific classic novel, for which they had to design a book cover. The winner of that weekly challenge actually became the cover of their assigned book, as published by Penguin Books.

Lets face it, with the internet, video games, DVDs, and hundreds of TV channels, it is practically impossible to get kids to read the classics. Your task this week is to design a cover for a classic novel found in the Project Gutenberg Archives that will entice the kids to read that book.

As you probably already know, Project Gutenberg is a database
where you can download over 33,000 free Ebooks to read on your PC,
iPad, Kindle, Sony Reader, iPhone, Android or other portable device. If
it is a classic with an expired copyright, you will probably be able to
read it for free at Project Gutenberg.

There are two ways you can treat this contest:

1) You can treat it as a straight design challenge, and use your knowledge of the book and your design skills to create a compelling cover, as was the challenge on the TV show.

2) But also feel free to use a little trickery, as in the example below.

Since I can't get you a book contract should you win, try to link your cover to the Project Gutenberg E-Book. If you don't know how to link the image (help is available in the FAQ ), or if your image automatically links to your image hosting site, provide the link to the book below your image. Who knows? Maybe we'll actually entice some kid to read a classic!

The usual Dodgeball rules apply. The contest runs through Midnight CDT on Thursday, with voting on Friday. Good Luck.

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21

Button Flies

BML0579

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BML0579

pute

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pute

BML0579

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BML0579
pute wrote:

i would read that

websorcerer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages websorcerer

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
websorcerer wrote:

Look, I'm not saying Moby's head has a particular shape or anything, but, you know, I would have run with him:

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

fyrefall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyrefall

websorcerer

websorcerer

pute

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pute

I voted in the contest in America!

websorcerer