nyarrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyarrow
TomNibs wrote:Hate to spoil the party, but I bought the King size from woot about 6 or 8 months ago and my wife and I both HAD TO DUMP THE THING. Just bought a new spring mattress 2 weeks ago and love it! Like most it's hard to decide what to buy to spend 1/3 of your life on but this was not it! We thought we would try memory foam but after a few weeks it's memory got stuck and it was like sleeping in a ditch. Don't know if it was just this mattress or all memory foam but I haven't slept as well in 6 months till we got the old fashioned spring mattress again!

We had the opposite experience - bought last time this was around (3-6 months), and it works well for both my wife and myself. I'm larger, and like a firmer mattress. I sink far enough into this that it is relatively firm. My wife wants a softer mattress, and she's light enough she gets it.

We let it air out outside for 2-3 days - never smelled it at all in the house after that...

aaronwe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronwe

How firm is this? My better (expecting) half wants something very firm for the last few months of her pregnancy.

cheroke55

quality posts: 37 Private Messages cheroke55
galaxydog2000 wrote:does it come with bedbugs?

Memory foam mattresses are resistant to bedbugs because they have a solid core, leaving bedbugs no place to live.

http://www.healco.com/news/banish-bedbugs.html

That doesn't mean they can't crawl into your box frame. So get your mattress protectors on those.

http://www.amazon.com/AllerZip-Smooth-Anti-Allergy-Mattress-Encasement/dp/B002SUGGZ8

cheroke55

aaronwe wrote:How firm is this? My better (expecting) half wants something very firm for the last few months of her pregnancy.

Read the post above yours

Andrewism27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andrewism27
thericochet wrote:Will any sort of platform or bed base suffice? I've read that's the case with memory foam mattresses.

I only have a Full box spring and am looking for a cheap platform to put this on top of. Would either of these work?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Smart-Base-Bed-Frame-Queen-King/10924588

http://www.target.com/Metal-Platform-Base-Bed-Frame/dp/B002WSPSDC/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

Or maybe something form ikea?

I built my own, google it. These mattresses need to have a flat base, so you'd need a board for those platforms.

Andrewism27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andrewism27
TomNibs wrote:Hate to spoil the party, but I bought the King size from woot about 6 or 8 months ago and my wife and I both HAD TO DUMP THE THING. Just bought a new spring mattress 2 weeks ago and love it! Like most it's hard to decide what to buy to spend 1/3 of your life on but this was not it! We thought we would try memory foam but after a few weeks it's memory got stuck and it was like sleeping in a ditch. Don't know if it was just this mattress or all memory foam but I haven't slept as well in 6 months till we got the old fashioned spring mattress again!

I've got a queen from Woot purchased over a year ago. I love it, wouldn't trade it for anything. Absolutely no problems.

cheroke55

whcodered wrote:"Mattress is spot clean only"

I read this and had the wrong idea for a few seconds.

I highly recommend you buy a decent mattress protector. In case that wine finally tips over.

The one I use

cheroke55

thericochet wrote:Will any sort of platform or bed base suffice? I've read that's the case with memory foam mattresses.

I only have a Full box spring and am looking for a cheap platform to put this on top of. Would either of these work?

http://www.target.com/Metal-Platform-Base-Bed-Frame/dp/B002WSPSDC/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

It weighs about or less than a normal mattress, use your regular box frame.

Or maybe something like this

I think your local bed store sells box frames and bed frames for a few hundred bucks?

jeneko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeneko

Damn you woot! The one night I'm stuck sleeping in an airport you put up what looks like a very comfy bed, it took all of my strength to not push "want one.".

cheroke55

Sprankton wrote:Generally how long does a foam mattress last? I've heard from (albeit quite heavy, but not to say that that's the issue or anything... I mean, I'm not trying to accuse anyone or... never mind) a few friends that, although comfy, the mattress just doesn't hold up as long as you'd like it to.

Mine was used non stop (I'm bed bound) 9 to 10 years. And it would have lasted longer if I bought a mattress protector earlier. (my body oils and odors made it musty.
I paid $600 for my first one. It was a quality bed with 4" of 5 lb visco elastic on top of 6" of Latex.

tillwhompson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tillwhompson
JCMason wrote:Well, from my experience with a memory foam pillow I'd say about 7.5
I left my pillow outside for about 2 days to let it air out a little. The smell was still there after that, but minimal, and eventually in about 1 week or so was completely gone.

Well, here is a site explaining a few ways to get rid of the smell quickly.

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_to_get_rid_of_the_%27New%27_Memory_Foam_Mattress_Smell]

It says the best way to eliminate it is to use an Ozonator... I think it looks something like this.

cheroke55

VrianSinth wrote:It's made in China.

It's NOT made in China. They are made in American plants, and cut and packed and shipped from wherever the plant you buy it from. I bought mine in Los Angeles. The guy cut and packed mine the same day, because they didn't have any Twin XL in stock.
It would be much too expensive to ship rolls of this from China.

cheroke55

tillwhompson wrote:Well, here is a site explaining a few ways to get rid of the smell quickly.

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_to_get_rid_of_the_%27New%27_Memory_Foam_Mattress_Smell]

It says the best way to eliminate it is to use an Ozonator... I think it looks something like this.

LOL!
Just use some Fabreze and open the windows.

Get rid of Memory foam smell

mikeyd61

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeyd61

I got the 8" one here a few months ago for $249 it is a great mattress, very comfortable. Well worth the $$$

j3snyder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j3snyder

I got an off-brand (non-tempurpedic) mattress several years ago. It lasted about two years before we needed to change for the sake of our backs. You get what you pay for when it comes to foam. Now we are using the sleep number (nearly two years) and love it!

shadeogray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadeogray

They are usually 399.99 at amazon.com so this is a pretty good deal.
http://www.amazon.com/Sarah-Peyton-10-Inch-Sensations-Mattress/dp/B001TRET1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1285572906&sr=8-1-catcorr

Meistro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Meistro

That has got to be one of the best blog posts I've read in a while! Nice one! =)

yellowjacket1993

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yellowjacket1993

How much is the shipping weight & dimensions? How much would it cost me to ship to Oahu, Hawaii?

cheroke55

yellowjacket1993 wrote:How much is the shipping weight & dimensions? How much would it cost me to ship to Oahu, Hawaii?

I just looked and apparently they only ship to the Continental US at this time.

cheroke55

j3snyder wrote:I got an off-brand (non-tempurpedic) mattress several years ago. It lasted about two years before we needed to change for the sake of our backs. You get what you pay for when it comes to foam. Now we are using the sleep number (nearly two years) and love it!

Not to diss your sleep number bed, but my Aunt and Uncle own one and they finally bought a memory foam topper because the sleep member was killing their backs. The air chambers broke down and it was lumpy all over and they sunk in to it. I'm not sure how long they owned it, but those beds are over a thousand dollars. The thing is they saw the TV ad and called up. They had to have a salesman come into their home. I was thinking of getting one, but they are not made for a single person handicapped situation. And they wanted to send a salesman even though they knew they couldn't accomidate me. It reminded me of the Craftmatic scam of years back. I did some research and Sleep Member has a lot of complaints about them look here, 58 pages of complaints. I chose not to look into them. But my Aunt and Uncle bought theirs years ago, and found out the hard way. They bought their topper on my advice. Now they are happy and have been using the 3" topper for 4 years. They even have a 2" for when they travel.

reitzg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reitzg
nectro wrote:Wow...still only $5 for shipping. I would buy an airplane from Woot just to say that I only paid $5 for shipping.

You can at kids woot, I bought 2

timnkris

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timnkris

I bought one on here several months ago. It's very firm. Common sense will tell you nothing will work for everyone. Depends on your weight, physical condition (back issues or what not) and simply your preference. I find it very comfortable. It's firm, but I sink in just enough. flat platform is best, but reg frame will do...may decrease life/comfort. And, besides, notice the price? C'mon! P.S. refurbished?....ewww. cleaned or not, no thanks.

scottjl

quality posts: 14 Private Messages scottjl

I got one last time this was offered (same price) for the guest room. Slept on it a few times myself, great mattress for the price. Very comfortable, I slept like a log. Wasn't overly warm in the summer months. Mattress did take a few days for the smell to go away, figure about a week, after that you're good.

Be careful unwrapping it when it arrives, use a knife/scissors to cut the tape so you don't stab the mattress!

Great mattress for a guest room, but I certainly wouldn't have any problems sleeping on it full-time (except that I already have a sleep-number mattress for myself).

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
yellowjacket1993 wrote:How much is the shipping weight & dimensions? How much would it cost me to ship to Oahu, Hawaii?

Shipping weight is listed as 65lb on Amazon
Approximate shipping size: 72"x18" or 36"x36"

The size varies with brand. Some are folded lengthwise before rolling and vacuum packing while others are rolled at full width with just the ends folded in.

Cost: depends where you live and what shipper you use .

izzythefool

quality posts: 1 Private Messages izzythefool

I purchased one of these last time they were on Woot, and stuck it right on top of the box spring. It took about a month, but I could start to feel the metal springs in the boxspring when I rolled over. Especially when I stuck my elbow or knee deep into the bed. The problem was easily solved with a piece of 4x8 wood panel leftover from a basement remodel. I stuck the panel between the boxspring and the foam mattress and viola... I kept the bed height where I wanted it and no more spring surprises during hanky panky.

Short story, no need to buy a new bed frame/platform. A thin firm surface on top of your old boxspring will do the job nicely.

vintagegypsy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vintagegypsy

Do your research on the chemicals used in memory foam. You may change your mind, especially if you have children.

Charlene Waldron

starbuck42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starbuck42

If I cut it in half, will it still work? I only have a single.

alro3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alro3000

would of considered 3 if refurb,,,only jokin folks. lol

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Arrives the size of a bar of Ivory Soap. You soak it in water for at least three days and it grows to the full size?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

cheroke55

vintagegypsy wrote:Do your research on the chemicals used in memory foam. You may change your mind, especially if you have children.

Yes, you should be sure your bed meets the USA regulatory standards for safe chemical use.

There are chemicals used in the making of memory foam mattresses that maybe sensitive to children. If your child gets a rash or breathing problems while sleeping on or around a new mattress. Check and see if it's the mattress or something else.

cheroke55

starbuck42 wrote:If I cut it in half, will it still work? I only have a single.

I used to buy California King toppers and cut them in half, because I only had a Twin XL. We used a saw to cut it. But I wouldn't take a chance with a Queen. There are Full size mattresss on sellout.woot.

bnorton916

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bnorton916
twiztidhaterid wrote:I'm really curious as to how they would go about shipping this.

Flat-bed truck!

Narflar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Narflar

If you are a stomach sleeper then you need something much firmer than this. I had this mattress before and experienced nothing but pain in my back.

garmargun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garmargun
twiztidhaterid wrote:I'm really curious as to how they would go about shipping this.

They seal it and vacuum all the air out. Makes a smaller package.

mikel135

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mikel135

If I could put in my two cents.

I was recently on the market for a memory foam mattress and did quite a bit of research before we took the plunge. Pretty much every article or review I read advised that you need at least a 3 inch top layer and at least a 3 pound density top layer. The ones below that are less important. We decided to get a 3.5 inch 4 pound density top layer mattress mattress and it's great. Basically if your mattress is less than 3 inches you will sink in to the layer below it and if it is less than 3 pounds density it won't feel like memory foam.

That being said, this looks to be a great price and just barely falls below the standards of what is a "good" memory foam mattress. If you're looking for an affordable upgrade, this may be a good choice.

garmargun

starbuck42 wrote:If I cut it in half, will it still work? I only have a single.

It will work fine but only if you are a half witt.

mikel135

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mikel135

Sorry to post again, but I noticed the question about the foundation and I spent q good deal of time looking into that as well.

To answer the question, you do not need any specific foundation. They do manufacture foundations for memory foam mattresses, however, I have read on several articles that said that most important thing is to have a hard flat surface. After doing the research, I just went to the hardware store and cut two pieces of plywood to fit in the bed frame and it works like a charm.

One important thing though, you should not use a box spring with your memory foam mattress - the springs push against the foam and create pressure points - this defeats the purpose.

garmargun

aaronwe wrote:How firm is this? My better (expecting) half wants something very firm for the last few months of her pregnancy.

something very firm is what got her where she is in the first place.

garmargun

mikel135 wrote:Sorry to post again, but I noticed the question about the foundation and I spent q good deal of time looking into that as well.

To answer the question, you do not need any specific foundation. They do manufacture foundations for memory foam mattresses, however, I have read on several articles that said that most important thing is to have a hard flat surface. After doing the research, I just went to the hardware store and cut two pieces of plywood to fit in the bed frame and it works like a charm.

One important thing though, you should not use a box spring with your memory foam mattress - the springs push against the foam and create pressure points - this defeats the purpose.

A waterbed base works fine, I have a king size and it works well.

complex

quality posts: 1 Private Messages complex

I bought this off Woot last October and resold it a month later on Craig's list at a loss. Here is my experience.
I have been using latex foam mattresses for over 20 years and love them so I thought I would try this (the price was right). It is really stiff and ultra, mega, colossally FIRM. Furthermore, the mattress (memory foam) conforms to your body shape and does that slowly. After several seconds it forms your body's shape. Because of this body molding or contouring, it locks you into the shape you create causing excessive effort to move or turn in bed. Some may like this features but I tried over several nights and couldn't deal with the confinement and restrictions. I went back to my latex and will stay with those products.
Note that the product was perfect (didn’t smell after letting it expand and air out for a week), if this is what you are looking for, but buyer beware of the traits of these products. Especially of this FIRM one.
My experience, LATEX RULES, No Gimicks, no games. The difference is in the covers and if they have additional rigidity along the edges because that is where you sit.